• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just imagine if Nintendo's cloud saves was actually syncing in real time. I'd buy a second switch in a blink.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
People pre July 2019: "What about poeple who only want a handheld? We want a handheld-only Switch! We want a handheld only Switch"

People post July 2019: "Wtf why is this not dockable? What are they thinking...omg!"

It's kind of funny, though.

This will exist happily parallel to OG Switch. The rumoured "Pro" Version seems more likely to be an adequate substitution for your OG Switch.
The main feature of the Switch is that it's both a handheld and a console. Removing the dockable feature makes it a handheld only. They reduced the price by a €100 though so it seems a solid deal. People on the internet whine about everything. I don't see how having more options is bad.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have to laugh at the different universes Switch owners live in.

Universe A: "Finally... it is everything I have wanted... time to get serious with my Switch!"

Universe B: "A Switch with less features? Why would anyone want this? Hard pass."

I am from Universe A, personally. I am super happy with the device.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of amazed at the amount of posts here that don't understand product launches. People calling for Nintendo to call this device something else other than Switch because it can't be connected to a TV. That makes no sense what so ever. The strength is in the brand name of Switch, it makes sense to continue that system name because it is the same family. Why would they sabotage themselves and call it something completely differently. And I'm sure these same people would groan and complain about the name change.

This product is clearly not for the majority of gamer elites here, it's just too casual for y'all.
Yep. Many here don't get marketing. The Switch and upcoming Switch revision is the target market for those here.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
How about battery life compared to Vita?

Official average numbers are 4 hours for the Vita 1000 and 6 hours for the 2000, but just like with any portable it'll depend on what you're playing and which console resources you're using (wi-fi, brightness etc).

The Lite is being announced as having a 3-7h battery life. I'd assume the 7h range is still with average brightness and connected to the internet, so it could go beyond that if offline, low brightness and running a light indie or something.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people think the Pro might be a TV only option, the only reason this is cutting out docking is to save money. The Lite is a budget option, the Pro will be a premium option.
Sure, it's possible it will be TV only, but I don't think the budget version cutting out an option is a reason to think that.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they make a joycon with a Dpad and hd rumble. Holding out hope that happens so I don't have to get a hori joy con. Otherwise looks like now Nintendo is going to kill the 3DS off with this.

Nov 15, 2018
Really stupid to not allow it to work with the dock. That just cost them millions of potential dock sales and no dock means no pro controllers/joy con sales.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
It looks nice but I'm not convinced on how comfortable it will be to hold, being smaller and lighter should help but it still seems too much like a tablet to me.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
it's what I was hoping for. As a handheld purist who was not that happy with the detachable joycons, this is the Switch I want to own. The colors, though .. I'm waiting for the hopefully incoming retro-style versions (give me a gba transparent purple switch, Nintendo!) and then I'll bite! The screen size is ok, gives us 30 min more battery life (lol).

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Not interested in this at all, but there were a few people who wanted a cheaper handheld only Switch, I guess Nintendo listened.

Removing HD rumble and TV out support is a really strange decision. Personally, I don't see why anyone would get this over the regular Switch outside of price.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Aesthetics are very similar to the 3rd gen Vita, which is a good thing

1064228-n0.jpg

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Pardon me if this has been covered but will the Switch Pro controller or any Bluetooth controller work with this?
My ideal scenario would be to use an Xbox Elite series 2 controller for almost all of my gaming.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
I have to laugh at the different universes Switch owners live in.

Universe A: "Finally... it is everything I have wanted... time to get serious with my Switch!"

Universe B: "A Switch with less features? Why would anyone want this? Hard pass."

I am from Universe A, personally. I am super happy with the device.

i just wish it didnt remove hdmi out

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
Welp there it is. At $199 I am in for 2. I can finally get my kids to stop stealing my Switch. No TV out is fine with me since cloud saves will allow my kids to use the main Switch if they need some big screen time. Also, this will officially get me to move completely digital for Switch.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
22% smaller
31% lighter
11% smaller screen

Seems more portable to me.
Do you think people are gonna put this thing in their pocket or what? Were there people complaining that the Switch was too heavy?

Yes, more portable — but not much more portable. Not enough to make most people double dip, I imagine, because their existing Switch is plenty portable and Nintendo's lack of cloud saves for some of their biggest games makes it hard to use both seamlessly.

But a decent option for ppl that don't have a Switch and want a budget option and don't mind the missing features.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I think this will do well for the lower price.

Just waiting on the pro version now

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No hd rumble and not being able to dock it means I'm out. I'll stick with the base switch for now and pick up a pro when it releases. I'm pretty disappointed the pro wasn't announced alongside this since it means it's not going to be out in time for DQ11S which is unfortunate.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can we please get an upgraded version that is home console only? Just a pro controller and a box with better hardware than regular switch? Could sell for $300 because of no screen on the controller

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
People seriously have a hard time grasping the philosophy behind sidestep products that are part of an existing model line that also isn't going anywhere. If docked play, detachable joycons, HD rumble, and all that other stuff is absolutely essential to your Switch enjoyment then...they have the Switch. That's the role it serves. The complete package.

This is literally marketed at people who do not give a shit. I think some vastly overestimate how important the aforementioned features are for a percentage of the market. A lot of people I know almost never play in docked mode, wouldn't care if they couldn't, and never detach the joycons because of portable priority. For them this is perfect.

Honestly, some people really love bad faith arguments. All you can really do is ignore them, because there's no reasoning with people who ignore Branding 101.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
"It's $200!" Big deal. Though I don't doubt it will sell well with the $100 discount. I know that price will jump out at people. For someone looking at it from my perspective and looking to buy their first switch- with significantly less features, mostly it being unable to dock, it's a hard no.

Also, it looks... Okay. I think they could stretch the screen out a bit more, push the controls back a bit. The colors are also unappealing. But yeah, models definitely not for me

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It's beautiful but no ability to dock is kinda garbage. I'd rather pay the extra $100 for multiplayer support.

This is for people with no siblings or friends to come over and play Mario Kart or smash bros.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested to hear from all the people that said Nintendo would not make this device (which is obviously going to be incredibly popular) simply because it would be a Switch that wouldn't switch.

I didn't think Nintendo would release such a system and call it a Switch. Especially when the Switch still sells incredibly well. It's weird seeing people say it will sell like crazy when that is how the current Switch sells. If that's the case the original Switch will lose priority as that will have to sell less. HD rumble will be an afterthought. Labo will lose support. What little uses IR had, that will be completely ignored.

I'm curious to see what other consequences this has for the Switch and future Nintendo hardware if the Lite is a runaway hit. Nintendo may never do hybrid hardware again. They might move to a streaming function to enable wireless TV play. But there certainly won't be "performance/resolution bump" difference like we get from handheld and docked modes. I hope portable gaming specs continue to close the gap because I'd expect even less ports from the current gen PS And XBOX systems if Nintendo goes full handheld. I can't imagine whatever Switch Pro Nintendo brings out will put numbers anywhere close to the Lite.

I am hoping that the D-Pad is great on the Lite so Nintendo can finally release a Joy-con with one.

Oct 25, 2017
Good price. And it looks nice. But I'm not gonna get a switch that doesn't switch. It also still looks huge, so I wonder how many people complaining about the switch not being portable enough will actually be into this.

But either way, at 200 it'll do well. I do wonder how well it'll do in comparison to a regular switch though. That is a significant reduction of features with the only addition being a d-pad. With the exception of the 2DS most revisions offer more features, not less. And in the 2DS's case it only lost one feature people didn't really care about in the first place.

But still, at $200 and 99% of the same game library it'll sell.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The console is a Switch. It plays only Switch games.

Not calling it a Switch is a ridiculous suggestion. That would unquestionably confuse more consumers than still calling it a Switch.

The solution isn't to rename it, the solution would've been to not have this problem at all and let the thing have some sort of TV out. Again, it doesn't have to be dockable, but TV out by some sort of cable should've been possible.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Too many cut features for me to have any interest.

I'm very surprised it doesn't have a TV out of any kind. That's stupid. I knew it wouldn't at all be "pocketable" though. Still need a bag for it.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Welp there it is. At $199 I am in for 2. I can finally get my kids to stop stealing my Switch. No TV out is fine with me since cloud saves will allow my kids to use the main Switch if they need some big screen time. Also, this will officially get me to move completely digital for Switch.
It's a shame that not all games support cloud saves.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I might consider getting this if it really is small enough to take around with you. One of the reasons I don't take my switch out with me is I feel it's too big.

But I would still want to keep my OG Switch for TV play, but the there would need to be an easy way to sync saves or whatever.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Looking through the info, do we have actual dimensions/weight and size comparison versus the OG Switch in handheld mode? I'm really curious how mini they got it. It looks smaller than a Switch, but also still pretty significantly larger than, say, a Vita or folded up DS Lite.