• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
bBt it looks nice, pretty much exactly what everyone thought it would look like. I don't understand why they still have a bezel around the screen though...

Because kids (and adults too) are going to drop the system and you can put whatever "gorilla glass" equivalent you want on the thing and it's still going to bust the screen eventually if you don't have a bezel around it to help protect it.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I don't understand why they still put the usb c port on the bottom if it can't be docked

And the bezel is exactly the same just painted a different color, what the fuck

The position of the port isn't simply cosmetic. It's about power delivery, the whole battery and power systems are probably still designed to be charged from the base.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm both impressed and confused at this model. It will go down a treat for families, kids and folks on the go but I find it so odd that the core concept of the Switch is lost in this version (that being the docking and the swappable joycons). I didn't think they would remove the dock feature completely ; they are obviously saving money not including the dock with it but why not make it possible to at least buy a dock separately and use it?

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Sending out thoughts and prayers to the millions of parents who will be buying this for the kids and thinking it can "switch" D:

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i wonder if this device is the reason they aren't supporting Mario Party at all as it can't be played on it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So it's probably a bit early for people to know the answer to this question. But if I bought this, would I be able to on the fly play a game on my main/original Switch at home while docked, then with cloud saves and my Nintendo account connected to the LITE be able to take that on the go and pick up on whatever I was playing? Because if that's something I can do I'll absolutely buy one of these to have a smaller portable Switch for when I'm not at home.

If I can't do that though, I don't really have much reason to buy one.
If you have an NSO membership then yeah.

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the colours, specially the white buttons, but looks cool. Hard to see how much smaller it's compared to the regular one without seeing them side by side.
Hope the supposed pro version comes soon though, I want better resolution/performance for portable play, seems like no big 3d games are getting native resolution nowadays.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a good price for a cut down Switch but lack of docking makes it pointless for me. Renders most of the big MP games pointless too.

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't a normal Switch sold without the Dock but still compatible with one cost roughtly the same?

Probably not. I highly doubt the dock costs anywhere near $90 to produce. My guess as to why that's the price of the dock separately is they don't expect single dock stock to move quickly, and it costs them money to have those units sitting in a warehouse.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Weird that you can't connect it to the TV at all. Like the look of the turquoise one.

HavakPkmn

Feb 13, 2019
Manchester
It looks really good IMO, although something has kind of irked me a little about the pricing even though I and most other people would be accustomed to thinking this is very good value. But...

Current Switch is £280 RRP.

Joy-Con Pair: £80 RRP

Standalone Dock: £80 RRP

I know it doesn't necessarily work out like this, and manufacturing costs will differ along with packaging etc, but it still makes me wonder if this could have actually come out at an even cheaper RRP and still made Nintendo profit. Probably closer to $160-180, but I think $199 is just such a strong price point and people will accept it without thinking, giving Nintendo probably in excess of $30 profit a unit which is awesome for hardware.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
This thing is perfect for me. I wanted exactly that - A more portable, thinner and lighter Switch that doesn't have detachable joycons, cause I never play on my TV or in tabletop mode. I hope it has better thermals and runs in boost mode all the time with same / better battery life.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Cool device, will probably get a second one as a side-console. Think this will definitely appeal to a wider crowd.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Is the display smaller? Anyway I think I will keep my old Switch, even though I basically only used it on handheld, since for me it isn't so big, I used it almost everyday on tram while travelling.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Really interested to hear from all the people that said Nintendo would not make this device (which is obviously going to be incredibly popular) simply because it would be a Switch that wouldn't switch.

Is the display smaller? Anyway I think I will keep my old Switch, even though I basically only used it on handheld, since for me it isn't so big, I used it almost everyday on tram while travelling.

5.5 inch vs 6.2 inch on the regular Switch. Way smaller looking bezel though.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Because kids (and adults too) are going to drop the system and you can put whatever "gorilla glass" equivalent you want on the thing and it's still going to bust the screen eventually if you don't have a bezel around it to help protect it.
hmm i never knew a bezel offered screen protection

interesting

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
cool pokemon version

image0.png
Now that is awesome. 10/10

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The Lite is now the configuration/features that software will be developed for- not local multiplayer with the joycons. That's over.

The original configuration/features will be a novelty in the big picture of what the Switch is going forward.
Tales from your ass. Well, I hope so at least. It's been a really useful feature for multilayer.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
None of these colors are appealing to me.

Give me a Link's Awakening bundle edition and I might go for it though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic news, the Switch was always too big and cumbersome to work as a portable.
Really? I see kids with tiny hands using the Switch fine on mass transit all the time.

Remember phones got bigger as well. And tablets are big with kids too. I think the size of the OG Switch being a detriment very overstated.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
£170 in the UK

That's gonna be selling like hot cakes.

Looks nice, I got rid of my Switch due to not using it but for that price it would make a great traveling device.

£170?

Yeah that's a good price indeed. £110 cheaper than OG and even £10 less than what the Wii cost. £150 would've been impulsive buy territory but that was unrealistic.

But yeah this + new generation Pokemon will make serious waves here I feel.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The video specifically says that it's not suitable for games that require motion controls like 1-2 Switch.

Now obviously 1-2 Switch requires HD Rumble too, which is what makes it confusing. Maybe it's a video error.
Pretty sure they meant games that specifically use the separate Joycons for motion controls. The site doesn't mention anything about gyros being cut.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I worry that the Switch Pro won't have a handheld mode. Just a box and a Pro Controller.

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
Calling it now: just like the Lite is launching alongside Link's Awakening - the Pro will launch alongside Luigi's Mansion 3

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
It's a Pokemon machine mostly aimed at kids and will sell a lot at that price, but the lack of docking and the smaller display are not for me