• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
cool pokemon version

image0.png

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
All this announcement does is make me more annoyed that there's no D-Pad joycon with HD rumble. Thats literally all I want to actually feel comfortable playing the switch in handheld mode.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Battery life is pretty crap. Was hoping for an upgrade in that regard. I'm thinking about it though, would be easier for my wife to play.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look too bad.

I don't like that you can't play it in docked mode but it makes sense if they don't have to bundle the dock with it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool enough and the price point makes it easy enough to jump in. I understand why they made it "undockable" but it's a bummer, I might consider it if it was so my fiancé would have her own system too. At that price it's a pretty reasonable entry point otherwise. Oh, and finally a decent D-pad.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So in the end the new renders on the case manufacturer's leaks were right.
Not for me, my current one is going strong, and I still want the tv thing.
But good for people that wanted a cheap one.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The colours are ugly, the battery life is crap and it's not very cheap. This doesn't attract me at all even as a second Switch.

But it will sell tons.

Hopefully there will be a Switch Pro soon.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
I mean. I thought it was good until the end. I don't know why they decided to take away the dock ability.

Everything else would have been ok to remove. Oh well.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i think at this point it's safe to say that nintendo feel comfortable and secure enough in their success to drift almost entirely from the fundamental basis of the name of the switch - ie playing docked or undocked, even sharing.

this will do extremely well, but honestly shouldn't be rewarded. 150 bucks max and it might be worth discussing, but yeah this kinda sucks. i'm glad i didn't wait this out and got my switch a while ago - at the time after all the rumours i thought i might wait for a 1.5 gen refresh, but seems that's a ways off still.

Nov 8, 2017
That's one of the main reasons the price is great though, you can't have it both ways.

No the reason it can't dock (like, not even without an extra accessory not included in the price) is going to be one of two things - either it can't sustain the higher clockspeeds at all for thermal reasons, or they just chose to not let it for product differentiation.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I'm baffled that people are defending the lack of TV output by arguing that Nintendo needs a reason to keep selling the original model. Why would you expect such a feature when you could just buy two consoles instead?! It's such a pro-corporate and anti-consumer thing to argue. Wanting to have TV out on a smaller model is not some kind of unreasonable, outlandish desire.

The fact that such a dock wouldn't be included in the package and there are also no wireless joycons is more than enough to make up the cost difference, especially if the original model were to get a modest price drop, which it seems like a good time for.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The "switch but doesn't switch" thing is people being contrary and weird for the sake of it.

It's 2019 and the system has been really successful. All "Switch" means at this point is Nintendo's current machine. People are being weird about marketing lingo.

Its like when the Nvidia super cards got announced, and all "tech" people could talk about is how bad the naming is, since the cards are actually great.
Gotta get that negativity from somewhere.
If the device itself is good, just complain about the name.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yellow looks great. The reduced weight and size and improved battery life make it seem like a fucking great portable. That price is spot on to kill the holiday season.

I prefer to play tabletop so it's probably not for me but I bought like six 3DSes so who am I kidding, I'll probably get one anyway.

I don't know why you would ever have expectations of liking anything

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Can I buy this and use it as a controller for my regular docked Switch? I'll do anything for a decent d-pad lmao.

Also if you have a Switch and Switch Lite linked to the same Nintendo ID, are your digital games playable on both systems freely?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Looks great in concept but I've already expressed my #1 concern: the analog drifting issue.

Whereas with the detachable Joy-cons one could buy replacements on the cheap on Amazon, or ship them back to Nintendo to get them fixed/replaced while keeping the Screen/Console at home, you would now be looking at an unplayable console that drifts and all you can do is take the whole thing apart, potentially damaging the unit, or shipping the whole thing back to Nintendo which has other implications, such as having to get a replacement without your saves, not to mention you wouldn't have a console to play on for a while.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Also as another 'Who is this for?' consideration:
The next big pokemon game is hitting this November. So now there's a cheaper SKU ready to hit store shelves in anticipation of that.

Looks great in concept but I've already expressed my #1 concern: the analog drifting issue.

Whereas with the detachable Joy-cons one could buy replacements on the cheap on Amazon, or ship them back to Nintendo to get them fixed/replaced while keeping the Screen/Console at home, you would now be looking at an unplayable console that drifts and all you can do is take the whole thing apart, potentially damaging the unit, or shipping the whole thing back to Nintendo which has other implications, such as having to get a replacement without your saves, not to mention you wouldn't have a console to play on for a while.

Wasn't the drift a result of the bluetooth connection the joycons use, and this one presumably won't?

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
It looks cool!

I'm sticking with my regular Switch though until Switch Pro of course.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
those color choices are really bad imo lol

bBt it looks nice, pretty much exactly what everyone thought it would look like. I don't understand why they still have a bezel around the screen though...

im wondering if i should sell my base switch and pick this up instead, since I pretty only play in handheld mode anyways.

any indication of how the battery life is???

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Looks cool! I'm really surprised they missed the opportunity to sell the dock separately, which is weird and 100% Nintendo at the same time...
You'd need a controller and a charger, It makes no sense. I always thought they'd keep detachable controllers but without them it makes sense not to have TV mode.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really cool, but baffled that it can't be connected to the TV. Not something for me.

Happy for those that will finally play the great Switch games.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
i think at this point it's safe to say that nintendo feel comfortable and secure enough in their success to drift almost entirely from the fundamental basis of the name of the switch - ie playing docked or undocked, even sharing.

this will do extremely well, but honestly shouldn't be rewarded. 150 bucks max and it might be worth discussing, but yeah this kinda sucks. i'm glad i didn't wait this out and got my switch a while ago - at the time after all the rumours i thought i might wait for a 1.5 gen refresh, but seems that's a ways off still.

With Nintendos track record or whoring out a successful platform into different variations, this isn't unexpected.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's like a 3DS without 3D never existed, right???

Yeah, you're right, a 3D-less 3DS doesn't exist. These go by a different name, 2DS.

Aka, they renamed the system when they removed the titular gimmick, doesn't matter that it's basically 1:1 with a 3DS sans 3D, it's a different system name.

It doesn't have to be dockable, but no TV-out at all is just plain dumb.