• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know where else to ask this but my girlfriend has a yellow switch lite and about a week and a half ago she was complaining about the left analog stick acting weird while playing links awakening. I immediately thought it was the drift issue, but then a day later it happened while I was around and saw it first hand. It was not the drift issue at all. When she was pushing right on the stick, link would barely walk to his right. It was almost as if the switch wasn't registering the full input. It only lasts a few minutes, and will then go away. She's experienced it only twice, but hasn't been playing as much over the last week.

Has anyone else encountered this? We're thinking about exchanging the system while we're still within the return date range.
Sounds like a dead zone issue? I would definitely return it. Sadly, I had to go through a few units before I found one acceptable enough to keep. But its worth it in the end.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For anyone who has it, what are your thoughts on the screen size? Does it still feel large enough for more detailed games?I'm very used to the original's and reluctant to downsize.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who has it, what are your thoughts on the screen size? Does it still feel large enough for more detailed games?I'm very used to the original's and reluctant to downsize.
Yeah I think it's good. But to be fair, I've always been a fan of handhelds, and the Lite is has the second biggest screen of any major handheld (after the Switch, of course).

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It was not the drift issue at all. When she was pushing right on the stick, link would barely walk to his right. It was almost as if the switch wasn't registering the full input.

Not sure if it is the same problem but this sounds similar to what happened with my two DS4 controllers and seems to be a somewhat frequent problem.

Dualshock 4 left analog stick stuttering

For example in the 2D perspective sections in Nier Automata 2B would only walk instead of run even with the analog full tilted. It got to a point where the characters would just stop. Blowing into the controller seems to alleviate the problem for moments but never truly solve it.

If the Switch suffers from the same I would replace it.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Sounds like a dead zone issue? I would definitely return it. Sadly, I had to go through a few units before I found one acceptable enough to keep. But its worth it in the end.
Not sure if it is the same problem but this sounds similar to what happened with my two DS4 controllers and seems to be a somewhat frequent problem.

Dualshock 4 left analog stick stuttering

For example in the 2D perspective sections in Nier Automata 2B would only walk instead of run even with the analog full tilted. It got to a point where the characters would just stop. Blowing into the controller seems to alleviate the problem for moments but never truly solve it.

If the Switch suffers from the same I would replace it.
Ok thanks! I'll try the calibration settings and then seeing about replacing the unit while we can.

anderson64

Jun 14, 2019
I've been following along with these thread for a while- I apologize for asking, but what is the best way to manage two Switches?

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where else to ask this but my girlfriend has a yellow switch lite and about a week and a half ago she was complaining about the left analog stick acting weird while playing links awakening. I immediately thought it was the drift issue, but then a day later it happened while I was around and saw it first hand. It was not the drift issue at all. When she was pushing right on the stick, link would barely walk to his right. It was almost as if the switch wasn't registering the full input. It only lasts a few minutes, and will then go away. She's experienced it only twice, but hasn't been playing as much over the last week.

Has anyone else encountered this? We're thinking about exchanging the system while we're still within the return date range.
I had this with my pro controller and I opened it up and cleaned it, now it's perfect again. Don't know how hard the Lite is to open up.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Finally got back to Wal-Mart, returned the borked Switch Lite. No lip this time--much younger associates this time that clearly didn't give a shit. Decided against exchanging for another and got cash back. Bought Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, and a pair of pink and green Joy Con. My OG Switch is still in fantastic shape and will do just fine (at least until a Pro surfaces).

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
The 3DS wasn't outdated when it came out.
What specifically are you referring to when you say "not dated?" Resolution, novelty, game library, controls, gimmicks/new features, GPU, connectivity? Some things definitely were outdated IMHO, but I'm curious as to what you're referring to. (Not intended to be argumentative, just genuinely curious)

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I have never seen as many issues with controllers than with Nintendo Switch. Have you ever tried to play local smash with 6 or more players? Good luck getting all those controllers to register. And even when you're playing docked with fewer players, some controllers lose connectivity constantly. The one or two times I've played my own system docked, I've had similar issues. It's like you can't be more than 5 feet away from the switch or you'll have problems.

Bleh. Makes me miss the simplicity of a damn good wired controller and controller ports!

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The Lite worth it? I had the OG switch but sold it a while ago. Fancy playing Link's Awakening and the new Pokemon.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I did not plan to buy one since I already have an OG Switch...but here I am, I impulse buy one some days ago while buying some Amiibos lol.
I regret nothing since it totaly suits my taste (I'm a 99.9% handeled player and I like my system to be as portable as possible).

Also I was afraid of the font size for games like Fire Emblem but wiredly enough it doesn't bother me more than on the OG Switch (maybe because the image quality seems sharper ?).

And having such quality on such a light and small device is really something.

Oct 27, 2017

It's been fine for me, but I never had an OG Switch so the Lite is the largest handheld screen I've used. I've not had any issues playing BoTW, Links Awakening and various Demos (Ori, Captain Toad, Dragon Quest Builders), everything seems crisp and legible.

I'll be interested to see how Witcher 3 inventory is handled though as I found that to be a bit squinty and confusing on PS4 on the telly so on a vastly smaller screen at greatly lowered resolution..... interesting.

Generally I think it's a beautiful screen and, me being super thick, I had no idea it was touchscreen. I mean why wouldn't it be, duh, but it was still a pleasant surprise.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen as many issues with controllers than with Nintendo Switch. Have you ever tried to play local smash with 6 or more players? Good luck getting all those controllers to register. And even when you're playing docked with fewer players, some controllers lose connectivity constantly. The one or two times I've played my own system docked, I've had similar issues. It's like you can't be more than 5 feet away from the switch or you'll have problems.

Bleh. Makes me miss the simplicity of a damn good wired controller and controller ports!

we had a smash party with two switches and like 12-15 people playing in various configurations without issues. Maybe you live in a high-interference environment?

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

What specifically are you referring to when you say "not dated?" Resolution, novelty, game library, controls, gimmicks/new features, GPU, connectivity? Some things definitely were outdated IMHO, but I'm curious as to what you're referring to. (Not intended to be argumentative, just genuinely curious)

Here is a list of some of the top smartphones released in 2011:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/top-10-smartphones-of-2011-for-now/

The Number 1 phone was the Samsung Galaxy S II released in May 2011.
It had a dual core processor w/ 1 GB of RAM w/ a screen resolution of 480 x 800. It price was unlocked was between $599 to $699, unlocked. Heck, it was released on U.S. prepaid carrier Boost Mobile a year latter (Sept. 2012) for $370.

Speaking of the prepaid carriers, there phones may have had 512 MB or 256 MB of RAM at the most and cost $199 and had resolutions like 480 x 320.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Guys what do you think of the dpad?
I thought it was fine at first but now playing SF 30th Anniversary I can't pull of moves consistently, I have a better rate with the analog stick which is absurd, I've tried playing with an xbox one controller via Magic NS and the difference is staggering...
It's like the dpad doesn't properly register diagonals with 100% consistency.

Is it my unit?

also, the color temperature is not uniform for the whole screen, starts cold (blu-ish) on the left side of the screen and then it gradually gets warmer till a visible yellow tint on the far right side of the screen.
This pisses me off because they won't change it for this kind of "problems", luckily is only super evident on the home screen/white theme

Btw, I thought they got rid of HD rumble and not of any and all rumble motors, playing some games like AERO (or even R.O.M, lol) is definitely a lesser experience... and I don't even love HD Rumble.

But if Luigi's Mansion 3 is anything like LM1 I think I want to play that on my OG Switch, rumble added a lot imo (and analog triggers but there's nothing to do there)

Last edited:

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just returned mine. It looks great, feels great - almost everything is great, besides the fact it can't dock. Ended up keeping my original Switch, a second one just for handheld gaming is a waste of money IMO.
Also, not sure if due to the lack of a glass screen protector like my original Switch has, but the screen looked duller and less contrasty than my other Switch. Oh well, here's hoping the mythical Switch Pro is a thing eventually.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I thought it was fine at first but now playing SF 30th Anniversary I can't pull of moves consistently, I have a better rate with the analog stick which is absurd, I've tried playing with an xbox one controller via Magic NS and the difference is staggering...

Is it my unit?

also, the color temperature is not uniform for the whole screen, starts cold (blu-ish) on the left side of the screen and then it gradually gets warmer till a visible yellow tint on the far right side of the screen.
This pisses me off because they won't change it for this kind of "problems", luckily is only super evident on the home screen/white theme

Btw, I thought they got rid of HD rumble and not of any and all rumble motors, playing some games like AERO (or even R.O.M, lol) is definitely a lesser experience... and I don't even love HD Rumble.

But if Luigi's Mansion 3 is anything like LM1 I think I want to play that on my OG Switch, rumble added a lot imo (and analog triggers but there's nothing to do there)
You have a Lite with a defective dpad. There are tons of them. I'm not being hyperbolic. I'm now on my 4th Lite. 3 of them had defective pads. The one I ended up with has a defective dpad. I just decided I don't want to return another one yet. When the Pokemon Lite comes out, I'll return this defective unit and hope that the new model has the problem fixed. Otherwise I'm done with the Switch until the inevitable Animal Crossing edition. Nintendo's quality control this gen has been remarkably awful.

Just returned mine. It looks great, feels great - almost everything is great, besides the fact it can't dock. Ended up keeping my original Switch, a second one just for handheld gaming is a waste of money IMO.
Also, not sure if due to the lack of a glass screen protector like my original Switch has, but the screen looked duller and less contrasty than my other Switch. Oh well, here's hoping the mythical Switch Pro is a thing eventually.

I'm guessing the contrast issue comes down to screen temp. Most of the Lites I've seen are way too cool, whereas most normal Switches I've seen have warm screens. Warm is definitely better.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

I tried to get 8 player Smash going once. It took me 20 minutes and finally had to settle on 6 players because I just couldn't get the last two to work (using a 4 port Gamecube controller adapter).

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It was a hub with 2 USB cables, but I had them both plugged into the Switch. Maybe that was the issue.

Yeah it was likely a power-delivery issue. It should have worked by only plugging in the black cables of the adapters, the gray cables are for extra-power for rumble but not needed for general controller functionality.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

I've been having a similar issue but it's when I press UP sometimes and the stick feels a little funny when it happens. I also only notice it in Links Awakening. =/ It doesn't happen often and it's not so bad that he doesn't move but it more acts like if I was only pushing the stick half way.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you can. You sync it using the controller sync option.

Brilliant thanks. Makes my decision that much easier next year.

My son managed to drown the other Switch, so we're Switchless for the time being. Just the Xbox now. I'm eyeing up the Turquoise version for him (and me!).

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I seemed to mostly luck out on the one I grabbed yesterday. Dpad is good, sticks seem normal and the screen is good for me. It seems a little quiet but not sure if it's supposed to be due to the smaller size or I struck out there but honestly I can hear and it's fine all other things considered

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018

Is it my unit?

Yeah HD Rumble, to me, is one of those things that you really notice it when it's not there. When it's done we'll, it's so subtle that it immerses you (Mario Maker 2 does this well).

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Returned mine too but now I have purple the Yellow Joycons since I did like the color.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I just grabbed one and I think I might take it back too. It breaks my heart to say this cause I love handhelds, but this actually seems too small. The bigger screens on iPhones and OG Switch spoiled me ☹

It's a great device though.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Not really switch lite related per say but what kind of headphones do you all use for the switch? I'm looking for a pair for my honeymoon and I like the beats studio 3 we got for free with my wife's MacBook but I don't want to steal hers cause she'll be using them. My main requirements are that they come with a carrying case and if they're wireless they have a 3.5 mm aux cable I can hook into the phones and switch

Jun 2, 2019
Not really switch lite related per say but what kind of headphones do you all use for the switch? I'm looking for a pair for my honeymoon and I like the beats studio 3 we got for free with my wife's MacBook but I don't want to steal hers cause she'll be using them. My main requirements are that they come with a carrying case and if they're wireless they have a 3.5 mm aux cable I can hook into the phones and switch

A 12 € Sony headphones for portable use, and a Trust GXT Dion 7.1 for home use

Jun 17, 2018
Nintendo must've shipped a GANG of Switch Lites. Was at Target earlier and they had 3 separate cases FULL of them, all colors. Will be interesting to see shipping numbers for last quarter.

ladies

Oct 25, 2017
I've come across a new issue in recent days and that's the left trigger making a squeaky sound when you press it. I don't know if that's been brought up here before but upon checking online, there are some owners who have or had the same issue. I'm a little hesitant to return mine because my d-pad works perfectly and I'm a little afraid I'll get one that's not as good with the second unit.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo must've shipped a GANG of Switch Lites. Was at Target earlier and they had 3 separate cases FULL of them, all colors. Will be interesting to see shipping numbers for last quarter.
The Target's here have like 30 of them. All colors. Seems like they over shipped them big time. Totally anecdotal, but it seems like no one is really buying them here (in my city).

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
What could have been had the Lite had less bezels:

w6PPkiv.png

Look how big the screen is while still maintaining a small form factor. The next Switch iteration needs to ditch bezels.
The Target's here have like 30 of them. All colors. Seems like they over shipped them big time. Totally anecdotal, but it seems like no one is really buying them here (in my city).
The common consensus I'm seeing is nobody is buying gray.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant thanks. Makes my decision that much easier next year.

My son managed to drown the other Switch, so we're Switchless for the time being. Just the Xbox now. I'm eyeing up the Turquoise version for him (and me!).
The Lite can't be displayed on a TV. Not sure if you knew that.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017

w6PPkiv.png

Look how big the screen is while still maintaining a small form factor. The next Switch iteration needs to ditch bezels.

Actually, those are the only ones that appear to have a little dent in them at my Target lol

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

w6PPkiv.png

What is up with this obsession over bezleless designs? I rather have device that is more durable and functional than that looks pretty.