• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Played mine on the toilet today. Finally, living the dream.

Any recommendations on a travel case? Something fairly inexpensive.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going from an OG to a Lite is both a weird upgrade and a downgrade. You usually see this from Apple products.

Agreed I like the portability but it just doesn't do what I want it to do which is A. Act as a controller on Switch and then just seamlessly Synch up with my home switch when I get home; I tethered it to my hotspot though so just having greater portability is nice and I like the Yellow.

Still might return it since I usually work on the BART when I have a seat in the AM and I have a newer Switch for using on a plane which is totally fine on that setup or the couch...still have a 3DS backlog too so for now that's still my hyper portable go to.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
At least with the switch lite developers have to account for someone playing in portable mode only.
Exactly, that's what I hope for as well!

The screen is too small for tabletop mode. You have to hunch forward and concentrate harder on the screen.
Makes sense.

I shudder to think what Ni No Kuni 2's text would look like on a Switch Lite. Had trouble with the item management text on PS4 with a 40" TV.
Oh, another candidate. Great.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I have no impulse control, picked up a turquoise joint at Wal-Mart. Ran a few tests to make sure nothing is fucked up...all good! D-pad's fine, no drift (not that I actually expected any so soon), screen looks great. I was worried I'd fucked up and it wouldn't feel good in my hands but I think I already like this better than the OG.

EDIT: Fuuuuuuck. Spoke too soon. Damn dust under the screen. Can't seem to get it out. Wal-Mart won't take it back so I guess it's off to Nintendo. Hope they don't charge me for something they'll probably see as a trifle.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I have no impulse control, picked up a turquoise joint at Wal-Mart. Ran a few tests to make sure nothing is fucked up...all good! D-pad's fine, no drift (not that I actually expected any so soon), screen looks great. I was worried I'd fucked up and it wouldn't feel good in my hands but I think I already like this better than the OG.

EDIT: Fuuuuuuck. Spoke too soon. Damn dust under the screen. Can't seem to get it out. Wal-Mart won't take it back so I guess it's off to Nintendo. Hope they don't charge me for something they'll probably see as a trifle.

Why wouldn't Walmart take it back? I thought they took back everything.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
They usually do. I guess I got an especially pissy bunch (I asked to speak to a manager, the guy they sent was a DICK).

There is NOTHING in their policy about that. The dude was wrong, try again.

They won't take back opened software so he was just off base with the hardware.

Walmart

They even call out refurbished video game hardware as a 15 day exception, so it's more limited in nature.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
There is NOTHING in their policy about that. The dude was wrong, try again.

They won't take back opened software so he was just off base with the hardware.

Walmart

They even call out refurbished video game hardware as a 15 day exception, so it's more limited in nature.
It's far too late tonight, I don't drive and I have work in the morning so I'll need to wait until I get off tomorrow.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fuck that! Take it back to them when you can. If you have the receipt and it's under 14 days, they're supposed to take consoles back—no questions asked. It's defective.

Rubytux

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Hi all, just got the Switch Lite and Pokemon Lets Go Eevee($29), i am not sure, but can you help me with an advice about these two games on the Switch Lite(especially their portable mode).

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Can you also tell me which game has the best online community ?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Hi all, just got the Switch Lite and Pokemon Lets Go Eevee($29), i am not sure, but can you help me with an advice about these two games on the Switch Lite(especially their portable mode).

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I don't have a Lite but I've played those both a lot on the OG Switch in handheld mode and they've been perfectly fine. I prefer MK8 portable to be honest, so I think you'll be good!

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

They both work perfectly and look amazing as portable games.

Best online community depends. Like both have really active online communities were you find matches in seconds. Voicechat is limited to the mobile app in Smash.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying a Lite next week but I can't decide which color I want lol

Anyone have the Yellow one? I guess I'm kind of leaning towards that one. Does it look good in person?

Good Hunter

Alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I'm just here to say how much I love that we finally got an HD handheld that has all the buttons we expect from a controller as well as a touch touch screen and motion controls. ALL THE INPUTS!!!!

It's really the first no compromise handheld ever made.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't grabbed mine. Thinking about getting one tomorrow, but I'm a little worried about drift since it appears the problem hasn't been fixed. How wide spread is it on the OG ones? Anyone still rocking an old joy-con that works fine?

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't grabbed mine. Thinking about getting one tomorrow, but I'm a little worried about drift since it appears the problem hasn't been fixed. How wide spread is it on the OG ones? Anyone still rocking an old joy-con that works fine?
I have a pair of Yellow ones which I bought at launch (May 2017? When ARMS launched) and they work fine.

I don't use my Switch a lot btw (until now!)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
One generation apart. And keep in mind that Tropical Freeze is locked 60fps, while DKCR struggles to even keep 30fps.

48840897462_09285c7254_h.jpg

48840354923_368ee3c43c_h.jpg

Wild.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just here to say how much I love that we finally got an HD handheld that has all the buttons we expect from a controller as well as a touch touch screen and motion controls. ALL THE INPUTS!!!!

It's really the first no compromise handheld ever made.
I just wish the triggers were analog but it is definitely nice to have a full set of buttons.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I just posted this in the OT on the hangouts forum, but seeing as there's less activity there, I might as well post here in another relevant thread and maybe someone will be able to help me make up my mind :)

So, this is going to be long, but hopefully someone will power through! I'm considering finally getting a Switch. I already own a PC, an Xbox and a PS4 and use them quite a lot. If I get the Switch, it would be my first foray into Nintendo consoles since the Wii (and before that, just the gameboy).

Where things stand in terms of prices where I live: the OG switch (V1) is around 330$ with a parallel import, the Lite is around 215$ with the 'official', authorized importer who is known to fix joycon drifts during warranty (one year) and the V2 is around 390$ again with a parallel import. The V2 is also available for purchase from Amazon US for a few hours time every month, though, for about 350$. I guess the question is, which version would you get assuming these were the prices in your region, if at all.

To answer your questions - I would probably play on TV quite a lot given the option, but honestly, I don't know if the lack of option to dock would really bother me. I also consider this to be a complementary console, especially given how I already own others this gen, and I feel saving some cash for the next-gen launch is important.

I'm also not a 100% sure I'll fall in love with this console, even though I have about 8 games which I really want to experience, which is typically the point where I start seriously thinking about getting a new console. I also really like the notion of playing handheld, it's something I do feel like I missing out on.

I didn't play a ton of 1P Nintendo titles in the past, and my mind wasn't exactly blown away by some of the Wii 1P back in the day, especially Mario Galaxy and Zelda - I enjoyed them... for a few hours. But I'm not sure if that's really relevant, seeing as fifteen years have passed.

Anyway, the Lite seems like it has a smaller barrier of entry. I can afford it, but spending in excess of 300$ on a complementary console might feel a little too much. But.. maybe I will end up regretting only getting a Lite? Maybe I should skip the Switch entirely? Man, IDK. That's why I want to hear from you guys! Especially those who actually have the Lite.

For reference, some of the games I'm interested in are Odyssey, BOTW, Link's Awakening, the upcoming Panzer Dragoon Remakes, Doom 64, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem and some of the older NES/SNES stuff which I've never played. Not really interested in Smash, Mario Party etc.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I just posted this in the OT on the hangouts forum, but seeing as there's less activity there, I might as well post here in another relevant thread and maybe someone will be able to help me make up my mind :)

So, this is going to be long, but hopefully someone will power through! I'm considering finally getting a Switch. I already own a PC, an Xbox and a PS4 and use them quite a lot. If I get the Switch, it would be my first foray into Nintendo consoles since the Wii (and before that, just the gameboy).

Where things stand in terms of prices where I live: the OG switch (V1) is around 330$ with a parallel import, the Lite is around 215$ with the 'official', authorized importer who is known to fix joycon drifts during warranty (one year) and the V2 is around 390$ again with a parallel import. The V2 is also available for purchase from Amazon US for a few hours time every month, though, for about 350$. I guess the question is, which version would you get assuming these were the prices in your region, if at all.

To answer your questions - I would probably play on TV quite a lot given the option, but honestly, I don't know if the lack of option to dock would really bother me. I also consider this to be a complementary console, especially given how I already own others this gen, and I feel saving some cash for the next-gen launch is important.

I'm also not a 100% sure I'll fall in love with this console, even though I have about 8 games which I really want to experience, which is typically the point where I start seriously thinking about getting a new console. I also really like the notion of playing handheld, it's something I do feel like I missing out on.

I didn't play a ton of 1P Nintendo titles in the past, and my mind wasn't exactly blown away by some of the Wii 1P back in the day, especially Mario Galaxy and Zelda - I enjoyed them... for a few hours. But I'm not sure if that's really relevant, seeing as fifteen years have passed.

Anyway, the Lite seems like it has a smaller barrier of entry. I can afford it, but spending in excess of 300$ on a complementary console might feel a little too much. But.. maybe I will end up regretting only getting a Lite? Maybe I should skip the Switch entirely? Man, IDK. That's why I want to hear from you guys! Especially those who actually have the Lite.

For reference, some of the games I'm interested in are Odyssey, BOTW, Link's Awakening, the upcoming Panzer Dragoon Remakes, Doom 64, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem and some of the older NES/SNES stuff which I've never played. Not really interested in Smash, Mario Party etc.
In your shoes I would either go regular switch or nothing. Mainly because you say that if it were an option, you would dock it and play with it on tv. If that were something you weren't interested in at all, that's the only way I'd recommend the lite (or as a second switch). I have no idea how they can get away with charging that much more for the v2 switch, but I might wait until that comes down in price some if it's only because it's new.

The only reason I would say nothing is because the cost is not just the price of the switch, but the games you're going to want to buy, which won't be cheap, so if you're really strapped for cash and need to save up for the next gen, this is antithetical to the premise of this thread but just go without if you're unsure.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
I caved and got the yellow today along with turquoise but I'm thinking the yellow is where it's at! Love this color so much.

I tested the dpad, speakers, and the screen and it's all good except that the speakers are about ~80% of my OG one, which I definitely don't mind since I never turn the volume up that high in handheld anyways. The screen is a bit warmer than my OG but my eyes will adjust to it easily. The dpad is really great and feels good to use, reminds me of my ds lite's. But the best thing about the lite is the weight, which is such an immense qol improvement from my brick of OG. I can't imagine going back to my OG for handheld gaming after the lite, my arms would die from holding it.

Anyways, just sharing my experience with getting the lite, was bracing for some glaring problems but it went very smoothly. Really can't recommend the lite enough to handheld gamers, it's a much better form factor, especially for people with noodle arms like me.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
In your shoes I would either go regular switch or nothing. Mainly because you say that if it were an option, you would dock it and play with it on tv. If that were something you weren't interested in at all, that's the only way I'd recommend the lite (or as a second switch). I have no idea how they can get away with charging that much more for the v2 switch, but I might wait until that comes down in price some if it's only because it's new.

The only reason I would say nothing is because the cost is not just the price of the switch, but the games you're going to want to buy, which won't be cheap, so if you're really strapped for cash and need to save up for the next gen, this is antithetical to the premise of this thread but just go without if you're unsure.
Thanks. I'm actually not really sure about the whole TV thing and whether it's a must, it's just that I've never really had an handheld in the past 20 years so I'm just going based on what I'm used to. There's definitely a possibility I won't even feel like I'm missing out on it, but it's so hard to know in advance. The thing that bothers me about getting the V2 is mostly the price point, I feel like while I'm interested in a Switch it'll be difficult for me mentally to pay the same price for it as I did for my One and PS4, idk. So yeah, maybe skipping it altogether is the smart choice. I'll think about that!

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I'm really contemplating ordering a grey Lite after handling one at BestBuy. The thing felt like a Vita and I love handhelds so I immediately wanted to buy one. The problem is, I'm mostly digital and I recently bought a revised Switch. I also have the Daemon x Machina Hori Pad and the 8bitdo Pro controller. I'd have to buy a new 512GB SD card and also manage all my digital games, which sounds kinda like a pain. Has anyone pulled the trigger on one while being in the same position?

Nov 8, 2017
One generation apart. And keep in mind that Tropical Freeze is locked 60fps, while DKCR struggles to even keep 30fps.

48840897462_09285c7254_h.jpg

48840354923_368ee3c43c_h.jpg

Wild.

400 x 240 = 96,000 pixels, or 192,000 if we double count for the 3D effect (Using higher counts: Original 3DS: 132ppi; n3DS XL: 95.6ppi)
1280 x 720 = 921,000 pixels (OG Switch: 237ppi; Switch Lite: 267ppi)

It's a gargantuan increase in clarity, and the quality of the screens on the Switch itself are also far higher (outside of pixel count) compared to the crappy 3DS ones. The fact that the 3DS physically has 192k pixels is sort of misleading in the comparison because it's perceptually equivalent to 96k, just with the 3d depth added. In clarity terms it's basically a slightly wider 240p.

Jun 17, 2018
It's funny reading how many people change their minds after holding it. And I agree, the first time I unboxed mine it felt like butter. Perfect sized handheld

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I guess just the feel of playing it.

Does the smaller screen make the graphics any better?

Is rumble missed?
It looks great. Batter, not sure. Some say it looks a bit better... and can't I miss rumble since a few months ago I turned off rumble across all gaming devices to save a bit of battery. :p
I'm really contemplating ordering a grey Lite after handling one at BestBuy. The thing felt like a Vita and I love handhelds so I immediately wanted to buy one. The problem is, I'm mostly digital and I recently bought a revised Switch. I also have the Daemon x Machina Hori Pad and the 8bitdo Pro controller. I'd have to buy a new 512GB SD card and also manage all my digital games, which sounds kinda like a pain. Has anyone pulled the trigger on one while being in the same position?
If you want to continue using both, then just make the one staying at home as secondary so it's always online, then the Lite as primary so that you can play it at any moment. Get a smaller memory and just put some games on it rather than everything you already have in the other. In here we currently have 2 regulars and 2 Lites. Partner has the Daemon/Hori add-on his regular, I have my share of 8bitdo controllers/adapters too.

We found no need to get memory of the same size since we made the decision that the regulars will serve as the "console" (i.e bigger ganes) and the Lites for smaller/fast paced games (with some bigger games mostly for wow factor).

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
After using the Lite for a few days now I have to say the biggest difference for me makes the weight. It feels so much lighter and puts a lot less strain on my hands. Great system.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny reading how many people change their minds after holding it. And I agree, the first time I unboxed mine it felt like butter. Perfect sized handheld

That's pretty much the same effect that happened with the original Switch shortly after the whole internet was imploding due to the high price. Once people got their hands on the Switch they changed their mind pretty quickly.

kotowaru

Jan 14, 2018
Last edited:

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Traded my OG Switch for a Lite today. In the year or so of owning the OG, I played in docked mode maybe 3 times and I mainly took it with me to work and on business trips, so switching to the Lite seemed like a good move for me.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Picked one up.

I don't like the feel of the console itself. The buttons are better but the hardware feels sand paper y. I like the plastic on the og switch more.

What I do like is how light this thing is. Definitely taking it around!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Picked one up.

I don't like the feel of the console itself. The buttons are better but the hardware feels sand paper y. I like the plastic on the og switch more.

Having had 4 of these now I can say that there is a spectrum for the sandpaper feel. I have one that's totally smooth, but with other issues.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked one up.

if its anything like the normal switch the sandpaper feel will wear down in a years time

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
if its anything like the normal switch the sandpaper feel will wear down in a years time
The Switch Lite has the same paint finish as the kickstand on the normal Switch. So different material, and it seems to wear down a lot slower than the normal Switch main body paint finish. I love it, personally.

Oct 27, 2017

I was going to suggest a regular Switch for out-of-the-box multiplayer (thanks to the joycons). But if you aren't into Smash, Mario Kart and so on that point is moot. With a Switch Lite you'll be fine and all of the games you mentioned (except Fire Emblem, whose texts are a little too tidy) work like a charm in handheld mode. The Lite also has a D-Pad, which is good for NES and SNES stuff.

Since you already have other consoles, I think you'll use the Switch mostly for its exclusives. You would basically have a modern GameBoy as a secondary console, a handheld companion to big screen gaming. As for your experience with the Wii, keep in mind that Odyssey and BotW are very different games than Galaxy and Skyward Sword.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I don't know where else to ask this but my girlfriend has a yellow switch lite and about a week and a half ago she was complaining about the left analog stick acting weird while playing links awakening. I immediately thought it was the drift issue, but then a day later it happened while I was around and saw it first hand. It was not the drift issue at all. When she was pushing right on the stick, link would barely walk to his right. It was almost as if the switch wasn't registering the full input. It only lasts a few minutes, and will then go away. She's experienced it only twice, but hasn't been playing as much over the last week.

Has anyone else encountered this? We're thinking about exchanging the system while we're still within the return date range.