• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters
May 30, 2018
i've had some hard drops in tetris 99 that i am pretty sure i wasn't trying to trigger, but nothing crazy. love this thing - i needed the satisfye grip to handle the regular switch but this form factor is just excellent as-is so far.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Went with turquoise gang. No regraets (?)

Man, the Switch Lite is so fucking cute.

If it had TV out I would've bought one just for the sheer adorableness of it. I hate the color yellow but even the yellow Switch Lite is just a very attractive console.

If they come out with a spice orange I might not be able to help myself.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Played a session of Lumines remastered this morning, what a joyous occasion. Don't think I've played it since it came out last summer, do to the discomfort of playing it without moving for 20-30 minutes minimum per session. Immediately went back to playing Electronic Symphony on Vita.
Now I'm hoping for an Electronic Symphony port on Switch. I think it was a WaPo review that called this the best "handheld" hardware in terms of design that Nintendo has released since the DS Lite, and I am inclined to agree...

Waiting for a microSD card to come from Amazon tomorrow, down to 4GB of free space on the Lite. Haven't been able to give Fire Emblem a go on it yet; does anyone know if the poor handheld scaling was ever fixed in an update? I found it almost impossible to play in handheld mode due to the font size. Not enough free space at the moment to test it. Just curious if this is gonna remain a "docked game" for me like Splatoon 2 (which I should probably give another shot on portable since discomfort was my previous complaint for it!)

Dec 2, 2017
I really, really love this console. I was a bit apprehensive before purchase I'd regret buying it since I have a regular switch but this is just fantastic.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Got the yellow one, was a little worried how it'll look but it's great.
Was also worried about the dpad, not so great coming from the Vita. However it's still fine, no problems playing Mario Maker for hours and I think it was OK for Tetris 99 but I was more focused on wtf was going on with the later. Stupidly you can't use it in Link's Awakening. Of course none of them use diagonals.

Also being used to the vita I got confused with two shoulder buttons and couldn't work out why the hold button wasn't working in Tetris, of course I was hitting the wrong one. Dumbass.

Most imporantly it just feels nice to hold.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
So I used be a huge 3DS fan but stopped playing handhelds altogether in 2014. When I bought the Switch I was excited of getting back into Nintendo handhelds with better specs, but the OG d-pad and face buttons were a huge letdown. They didn't feel right at all. So I ended up playing my OG with a pro controller while docked or undocked.

I have 3 questions:
  1. How are the pad and face buttons on the Lite? I know they're updated but I'm out of the loop on the feedback.
  2. What's the consensus on the smaller screen? I played FE3H undocked and the UI was a bit challenging on the OG screen.
  3. Does Nintendo make it easy for users to own 2 Switches with a shared library, account and saves? I never double dipped on a Nintendo system before.
I'm close to getting one of these, and three questions above are critical to my decision.

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question .
I travel a lot for work and I don't play my regular switch docked ever.. I am interested in the lite for the portability.
Should I just trade it in towards the switch lite ? My regular switch is generally used on the go but it's cumbersome

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Okay I tested Alttp.
The dpad diagonals on the (up right, up left) seems to abit better BUT the ones on (Down right, Down left) is problematic.
I even turn the switch lite upside down, thinking it might be the grip is causing it. Nope same problems

Paired my 8bitdo SN30 pro+ and the diagonal press and movement are smooth.

Last edited:

Dolorean

Sep 20, 2019
I have a question .
I travel a lot for work and I don't play my regular switch docked ever.. I am interested in the lite for the portability.
Should I just trade it in towards the switch lite ? My regular switch is generally used on the go but it's cumbersome

I think you have answered your own question. Sounds like a definite yes.

Oct 26, 2017
I like the idea of this but it just seems too pricy for all that you're missing out on to save $100. Wish they could have launched this bad boy for $149.99

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll just return mine without even opening it. I barely use my Switch so I was hoping this one would be more comfortable. It's beyond ridiculous that Nintendo can't make a d-pad.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
You're really not missing out on much to save $100. If the TV output is so important to someone, just get the OG switch or the V2.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of this but it just seems too pricy for all that you're missing out on to save $100. Wish they could have launched this bad boy for $149.99
The thought of it being $50 cheaper than a New 3DS XL is crazy though. It's so much better than those. Even at the same $200 price point as the New 3DS XL, it seems like a way better deal in comparison.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That's what I'm saying, some people are having problems but there are also people who are not experiencing it.
It is exactly like the pro controller d pad or joy con drift then. Many people are experiencing problems and many people are not. That is a complete joke and shouldn't be handwaved. You shouldn't have to play the lottery on whether the product you bought functions properly or not

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, how difficult is it to have a regular Switch that you only used docked, then this that you use as your portable unit, in terms of sharing digital games and saves between the two? What hoops do you have to jump through?

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It is exactly like the pro controller d pad or joy con drift then. Many people are experiencing problems and many people are not. That is a complete joke and shouldn't be handwaved. You shouldn't have to play the lottery on whether the product you bought functions properly or not

And I completely agree with that. I was answering to someone who was claiming every Switch was suffering from this and that's not the case according to era users. No one is saying there's not a problem, there's no point in denying that.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm coming to REALLY love the Lite.

I bought a Switch on launch day, and a V2 when it released a few weeks back... but I rarely play on the TV. If I have time to plop down and truly block off a couple hours for games, I almost always seize that rare moment to enjoy PC gaming or a console only option like PS4 or my One.

The Lite is just so damn, well, light, and portable. It's exceptional for tossing in a work bag, throwing on the sofa, or putting in your car's middle storage for a break while your wife shops. It feels really good in the hand, and playing something like DQXI on it is ... kind of amazing.

The Vita had a way better build quality... the Switch doesn't feel premium at all, but it seems it'll last. The turquoise is okay, but I'd rather have an all white or something more sleek. Lack of rumble SUCKS. And the speaker does shake the whole thing. but none of that really matters if I can have a game like BotW or Smash Ultimate or Animal Crossing with me literally everywhere I go...

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that if Nintendo would make turquoise Joycons in the same color as the Lite I would buy them straight away o.o

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's a shame that it seems like some are getting poor dpads, all 'new' hardware has issues of some kind (it's hard to know exactly how widespread this issue is) but all I can suggest is returning and trying to make sure the next one is ok by asking to quickly try it out.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I accidentally move a piece in Tetris 99 to the left or right before hard dropping it on occasion, and the mushiness makes it hard to tell if I'm making the correct inputs in Superbeat Xonic on harder tracks, but those two games are among the best suited to the JoyCon's clicky, segmented d-pad. I'll probably adjust in those games eventually.

Edit: to be clear, my goal is to hard drop the piece, and I'm accidentally moving it out of its intended place.

Last edited:

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Target will give you a ten dollar gift card if you buy anything over 100 dollars this week. It isn't much but it's something. I got mine last night but customer support gave me the gift card.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Wait, does Ori have a diagonal jump? What is different about it than a normal jump while pressing left or right?

I downloaded the Ori Demo, I didn't find any problems since it's only left and right movements. I thought i have go far to the game to unlock something that can test the diagonals

Anyone seen this video. NihongoGamer testing the D-pad with Street fighter

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
Caved and very irrationally got one. Anyone have a link to something explaining the best way to use it as a secondary system with my original account?
Just booked my vacation trip and it's time i decide if ti's worthy to get a Switch Lite.

I have day-one OG Switch which i use A LOT. Play it both docked and undocked, almost 50-50. I do take mine with me to work every single day and would love to have a smaller version. That said, i don't want to fiddle with accounts everytime i want to play a damn game. i'm 100% digital. Can you guys point me to a guide that tackles life with two switches and digital games? Any of you guys doing it?
So I used be a huge 3DS fan but stopped playing handhelds altogether in 2014. When I bought the Switch I was excited of getting back into Nintendo handhelds with better specs, but the OG d-pad and face buttons were a huge letdown. They didn't feel right at all. So I ended up playing my OG with a pro controller while docked or undocked.

I have 3 questions:
  1. How are the pad and face buttons on the Lite? I know they're updated but I'm out of the loop on the feedback.
  2. What's the consensus on the smaller screen? I played FE3H undocked and the UI was a bit challenging on the OG screen.
  3. Does Nintendo make it easy for users to own 2 Switches with a shared library, account and saves? I never double dipped on a Nintendo system before.
I'm close to getting one of these, and three questions above are critical to my decision.

Here is a very good guide for Switch/Switch Lite account, game and save sharing:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Ok, how difficult is it to have a regular Switch that you only used docked, then this that you use as your portable unit, in terms of sharing digital games and saves between the two? What hoops do you have to jump through?

It's simple but also a pain in the ass kinda. Not to mention this doesn't work with every game.

It's definitely not as seamless and intuitive as something like Xbox / PC play anywhere. If it were I would nab a Lite in a heartbeat.

Jun 17, 2018
Ha, yep!

and ugh, my switch is oddly quiet even on its highest volume
I've seen a couple reports of this on the internet, maybe exchange it if it's not too much of an inconvenience. My OCD would drive me crazy with something like that. I guess this thing will be a lottery, Nintendo is in bed with multiple parts suppliers from what I understand.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded the Ori Demo, I didn't find any problems since it's only left and right movements. I thought i have go far to the game to unlock something that can test the diagonals

Anyone seen this video. NihongoGamer testing the D-pad with Street fighter

So the Hori D-pad is just straight up better than the Lite one?
This doesn't sound good at all.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
So the Hori D-pad is just straight up better than the Lite one?
This doesn't sound good at all.

I also tested it my Hori left joycon on my Switch(V2) and I have no problems with diagonal movements with ALttP.
It's way better

vdRrcPi.png

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So downloaded content can be shared across systems if it's the same account? I set up my Lite with my Nintendo Account and was able to download all eshop games with no hassle, and I now have them across both of my Switch's ready to play. I though those required full system data transfer in order to play on a different system? I guess not but I could've sworn I read differently.

EDIT: I watched that video above. Seems like you're all good as long as you have an internet connection on the secondary console.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the videos. When I make the local Switch account can I use the same username as I used before? Does that even matter?

I'll be using old switch as docked and lite for most things but that point wasn't clear.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Speakers are also a lottery. My first Lite was stupidly quiet at max volume. My new Lite is too loud at max.

Oct 27, 2017
It is really silly watching people talking about 'lotteries'. The first batch of everything is bound to have some lemons. It's like you're new to this shit. Calm down.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speakers are also a lottery. My first Lite was stupidly quiet at max volume. My new Lite is too loud at max.
Really sick of dealing with Nintendo's absolute garbage quality control. From there trash joycons and d-pads, to their screen lottery, and now speaker lottery being a thing. Ive already had to return my revised Switch because the screen had tons of dust behind the glass, causing all sorts of glowing specs. Then had to send in two pairs of drifting joycons... Now, I gotta return the Switch Lite for the speakers. The worst part of it is, I'm afraid of the replacement's screen having issues if I do.

You just can't fucking win with the Switch, it seems. Always some compromise because they can't get QC under control. Thankfully, My OG Switch is perfect. God help me if anything happens to it.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Picked up a grey one today, was reading some other post on reddit how the smaller screen and better dpi might help for those that get head aches playing switch games. I'll be damed it helped. My launch switch would give me a head ach playing for 20 mins or so, played goose game in one sitting and nothing.

Also like the feel of the unit, nice solid chunk. Real switch rattles a bit with all the detachable bits.

Liked it so much I ordered that cool case that comes out in November from amazon japan.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a grey one today, was reading some other post on reddit how the smaller screen and better dpi might help for those that get head aches playing switch games. I'll be damed it helped. My launch switch would give me a head ach playing for 20 mins or so, played goose game in one sitting and nothing.

Also like the feel of the unit, nice solid chunk. Real switch rattles a bit with all the detachable bits.

Liked it so much I ordered that cool case that comes out in November from amazon japan.

Really nice. could you tell us how's your dpad and speaker working? Thanks!

Windforce

Dec 8, 2017
This would be a nice product for me.

I never docked my Switch or detached the controllers, ever.

Would have gone for the Lite if Fire Emblem Three Houses didn't release before it did.