• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Benji just said on twitter that he is impressed by the sales of Link's Awakening but not so much by the sales of the Lite. And to be honest I wasn't expecting the Lite to be this hot machine that will sell like hotcakes from the get go. I was checking the Amazon bestseller charts daily and the Lite was never even near the Top 20 (except for a short period of time shortly after the listings went live). This is fine though because the Lite is not a device aimed at hardcore gamers that would pre-order it immediately and once Pokémon drops the Lite will be a hot item this holiday season. But the normal Switch will most likely stay the better selling SKU.

and to think eBay had tons of scalpers promising 'day one availability' for a $100 markup.

I expect Black Friday sales to be tremendous.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Picked mine up today on a whim. It's a really nice little piece of tech! I just wish the battery was as good as my revised Switch.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Is it safe to say that text size is an even bigger problem on the Switch Lite?

I'm seriously wondering if Nintendo is going to do something about it now that the screen got even smaller.

Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Dragon Quest Builders, Darkest Dungeon and plenty more have text and font choices that were not made for the small screen at all.

Still absolutely baffling to me that the handheld screen got much bigger compared to 3DS, yet text size got much smaller even in direct comparison.

This has been posted before, but it's still relevant:

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
As a handheld gamer I'm thinking the Lite might be better-suited for me than the OG Switch, but I'm worried about the smaller screen... Plus the colours all seem distracting, especially with the coloured bezel, whereas the OG's black bezel feels neutral and doesn't get in the way. Which one should I go for?

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
As a handheld gamer I'm thinking the Lite might be better-suited for me than the OG Switch, but I'm worried about the smaller screen... Plus the colours all seem distracting, especially with the coloured bezel, whereas the OG's black bezel feels neutral and doesn't get in the way. Which one should I go for?
i have the grey lite, i barely notice the bezel. I think if you are worried about it being too distracting i would go with grey.

TheInsider

Banned
Jun 9, 2019
This was the reason I nearly didn't get the yellow, but fortunately I went ahead. When you're looking at the lite it looks great, when you're playing it isn't a distraction at all.

screen size is fine but with the caveat it will expose any faults you have with your close focus. This is the same as with any phone or book tho so if your vision is fine with them then all is good.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Is it safe to say that text size is an even bigger problem on the Switch Lite?

I'm seriously wondering if Nintendo is going to do something about it now that the screen got even smaller.

Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Dragon Quest Builders, Darkest Dungeon and plenty more have text and font choices that were not made for the small screen at all.

Still absolutely baffling to me that the handheld screen got much bigger compared to 3DS, yet text size got much smaller even in direct comparison.

This has been posted before, but it's still relevant:

...get glasses? I have zero issues with text size anywhere? Text size can't be smaller and look decent when the screen resolution is garbage like on 3DS. The Switch doesn't have that problem.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
i have the grey lite, i barely notice the bezel. I think if you are worried about it being too distracting i would go with grey.
This was the reason I nearly didn't get the yellow, but fortunately I went ahead. When you're looking at the lite it looks great, when you're playing it isn't a distraction at all.

screen size is fine but with the caveat it will expose any faults you have with your close focus. This is the same as with any phone or book tho so if your vision is fine with them then all is good.
Perfect, thanks y'all :) Sounds like the Lite is for me!

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
While I'm still not getting one I'm finally seeing the appeal for getting one, I'd definitely rather take this on holiday with me on a plane than a full switch, not only is it smaller and lighter for hand luggage but it's cheaper so if by some horrible reason it got lost or stolen abroad I'd feel a little less crestfallen than if I lost my main unit because of the price difference.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
So because it's fine for you it has to be fine for others, too?
Nope. That was the wrong answer and pretty damn dismissive. Even with glasses, my vision isn't 20/20 so I still have a hard time with certain things. There's no excuse for small text like that. Especially when it was much larger on the 3DS. Every game should have a text slider. Hell, this site has one because all eyes aren't created equally.

Telling someone to get glasses is gross.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Personally, the small font size of some games is less of an issue in portable mode than when docked, so I can read things fine in both the regular and Lite models. If you're struggling while in portable mode, the Lite just will make matters worse.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
Just booked my vacation trip and it's time i decide if ti's worthy to get a Switch Lite.

I have day-one OG Switch which i use A LOT. Play it both docked and undocked, almost 50-50. I do take mine with me to work every single day and would love to have a smaller version. That said, i don't want to fiddle with accounts everytime i want to play a damn game. i'm 100% digital. Can you guys point me to a guide that tackles life with two switches and digital games? Any of you guys doing it?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Just booked my vacation trip and it's time i decide if ti's worthy to get a Switch Lite.

I have day-one OG Switch which i use A LOT. Play it both docked and undocked, almost 50-50. I do take mine with me to work every single day and would love to have a smaller version. That said, i don't want to fiddle with accounts everytime i want to play a damn game. i'm 100% digital. Can you guys point me to a guide that tackles life with two switches and digital games? Any of you guys doing it?

Make the Lite the primary system. The original Switch will become the secondary system and will require NSO and a constant internet connection to share and play games between the two.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
So because it's fine for you it has to be fine for others, too?

A slider is better than large text, in my opinion. I find large text a poor use of screen real-estate. It's often the first thing I change given the option.

Nope. That was the wrong answer and pretty damn dismissive. Even with glasses, my vision isn't 20/20 so I still have a hard time with certain things. There's no excuse for small text like that. Especially when it was much larger on the 3DS. Every game should have a text slider. Hell, this site has one because all eyes aren't created equally.

Telling someone to get glasses is gross.

I wear glasses and have the vision of a bat. I still don't have a problem with smaller text on a handheld device. It's the main reason I don't generally play on a TV because I can't see it deatil at all, really. I would rather smaller text like on my phone. Giant text to me on a handheld is distracting and pointless. But a slider would be best so people can choose what they prefer/require. I'm all for more options, most games don't even have colourblind options and I don't complain about that.

cloudy

Nov 10, 2017
I was playing for a bit yesterday and wondering why the sticks felt so off. Then I realized, I hadn't taken off my hori thump caps from my OG switch. I've pretty much never played switch handheld without these things lol

I also think they make the lite look better

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
A slider is better than large text, in my opinion. I find large text a poor use of screen real-estate. It's often the first thing I change given the option.

I wear glasses and have the vision of a bat. I still don't have a problem with smaller text on a handheld device. It's the main reason I don't generally play on a TV because I can't see it deatil at all, really. I would rather smaller text like on my phone. Giant text to me on a handheld is distracting and pointless. But a slider would be best so people can choose what they prefer/require. I'm all for more options, most games don't even have colourblind options and I don't complain about that.
Well you still have better vision than some people. But IMHO, the text in the 3DS one looks better. Just having that small text in a big box looks silly.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Well you still have better vision than some people. But IMHO, the text in the 3DS one looks better. Just having that small text in a big box looks silly.
In that example posted, the 3DS is the winner by a huge margin. Screen resolution doesn't matter in this instance. Text size does.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, wasn't the wisest choice, but I ordered a turquoise one yesterday. It's gonna be here on Tuesday...

I didn't have a spare budget to buy games, but I have Switch Online thanks to Amazon, so I'm gonna play Super Metroid.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If GameStop is still doing the trade in deal upgrade your OG Switch, it's lighter snappier and better built than the launch model and the battery life is way better. The Lite isn't worth the hassle IMHO. I'd probably not be as positive on the standard switch if I still had my launch model with the reduced battery life, broken hinges and floaty joycons though. The trade offs aren't worth getting a lite to me and the portable console hybrid model is perfected with the r cent hardware revision.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If GameStop is still doing the trade in deal upgrade your OG Switch, it's lighter snappier and better built than the launch model and the battery life is way better. The Lite isn't worth the hassle IMHO. I'd probably not be as positive on the standard switch if I still had my launch model with the reduced battery life, broken hinges and floaty joycons though. The trade offs aren't worth getting a lite to me and the portable console hybrid model is perfected with the r cent hardware revision.
Is the new longer battery switch lighter and better built, though, or has it just not had as much wear and tear yet? It seems to me like unless they drastically redesigned the hinges and overhauled the joycons, the main difference is battery life (which is significant).

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Bought myself a gray switch lite. Played quite a bit of Tetris 99 with the d pad. Honestly it played quite fine. Had no input issues whatsoever.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Individual transfers deletes the save on the Switch it came from. Use cloud saves if the game has it.

Ah ok, didn't realize that. Thanks.

And be aware that not all games have/support cloud saves. If a game doesn't have a cloud save, you would have to manually transfer your saved game.

Gamespot has the tutorial of how to share save data, as well as the list of games that doesn't support cloud saves here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Bad news for all you who have bought this or plan to because of the d-pad.

Turns out it sucks and is having issues. Reports of moving diagonally being really difficult and button pressing is inconsistent..by that I mean for example the right button might be nice and clicky but the left might be squishy and soft.

Seems like the 4 single buttons on the standard switch is working out better for games...

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

Turns out it sucks and is having issues. Reports of moving diagonally being really difficult and button pressing is inconsistent..by that I mean for example the right button might be nice and clicky but the left might be squishy and soft.

Seems like the 4 single buttons on the standard switch is working out better for games...

Two users on this thread tried it with fighting games already and had no problem at all with diagonals. It could be a bad batch since most reports were really positive but there are indeed some people with problems apparently.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah this isn't anywhere near the best d-pad but it's 10000x better than the 4 buttons.

TheInsider

Banned
Jun 9, 2019

Mine is perfect, I join the people who have had no issues.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The difference in the d-pad's quality could be due to different suppliers. The WSJ did say in their article that Nintendo was using more suppliers as a way to reduce the cost of production.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Two users on this thread tried it with fighting games already and had no problem at all with diagonals. It could be a bad batch since most reports were really positive but there are indeed some people with problems apparently.
The dpad is most definitely a problem. I'm playing ALttP and moving Link diagonally is tiresome due to the pressure required on the pad.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I think while the white analogs and buttons look awesome and make the Lite pop, in the long run it's probably a bad move because they will no doubt discolor.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Anyone try one of the official Nintendo charging docks with this thing? I'm guessing it'd work because it's just USB C, but I want to make sure before I go pick one up.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I never really noticed the build quality of the original Switch but I was playing in handheld today and felt my joycons wobbling a bit. The FOMO with this is real, lol.