• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Guess they expect you to buy extra joycons. Is it even playable in handheld mode with motion controls?

Some of the Cappy throws were harder to do (but not impossible) in Handheld mode.

Throwing Cappy vertically upwards above you and vertically forwards (instead of normal horizontally forwards) were the harder moves.

However you can complete the game 100% in Handheld mode as these two moves are not integral to playing the game.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have just seen that in my country (I suppose in Europe, in general) the price seems to be 219€ (while 229€ for the Pokémon version). I am even more sure that it will sell a lot also here, for Christmas it won't be difficult to find it at 199€ (and I suppose already at Black Friday, just a bit after Pokémon is released)

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the Cappy throws were harder to do (but not impossible) in Handheld mode.

Throwing Cappy vertically upwards above you and vertically forwards (instead of normal horizontally forwards) were the harder moves.

However you can complete the game 100% in Handheld mode as these two moves are not integral to playing the game.
those timed missions in the Wooded Kingdom where you have to climb or roll fast to make it, though

that shit's gonna be a little bit easier with a Switch Lite because you won't have to worry about shaking your fuggin' rails loose but you'll still be flailing your Switch like a madman

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I have just seen that in my country (I suppose in Europe, in general) the price seems to be 219€ (while 229€ for the Pokémon version). I am even more sure that it will sell a lot also here, for Christmas it won't be difficult to find it at 199€ (and I suppose already at Black Friday, just a bit after Pokémon is released)
Those are placeholders price. I saw the Lite at 199€ in France, but they removed the page in the meantime.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hello Era. I am Mr Target Market.

I have two OG Switches but I feel like a cheaper non-dock one would be great for my kid. I don't see any value in the machine for myself, but this is ok as I understand exactly the market it is aiming for.

Fun take: the name is the name, the advertising is the actual specification of the unit.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
So did anyone go through the dozens of old threads and collect the top "Nintendo will NEVER release a Switch that doesn't Switch" posts? Because by golly were there a lot of deeply convinced posters, lol.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Those are placeholders price. I saw the Lite at 199€ in France, but they removed the page in the meantime.
Ah so it is still not definitive. After what happened to Link's Awakening (priced everywhere 49€, on Amazon even 44€ - fortunately I preordered it at this price in time), I would not be surprise if it is 229€ the definitive price. But I suppose for Christmas in some places parents can get it at 199€. They are only 30€, I know, but sometimes the perceptive different between 1xx and 2xx really exist for people.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes i wonder what kind of fucked up hands people have that cramp so easily. I had never any problems with any controller, whether it was a joycon, a gba micro or the OG xbox controller.
Not all hands are created equal. There's a reason Sony and Microsoft invest so much on the feel of the controller.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
But it still has the ability to "Switch", which is the point regardless of how you use it.
It's merely a brand name. It's used to identify the Switch ecosystem and no normal persons thinks too deeply about its actual meaning. It would have caused a lot more confusion if Nintendo chose to introduce an entirely new name which people could have very easily confused with an entire new hardware. It's apparant that Switch Lite can't "switch" and easily explainable.

I personally think they could have chosen a better name to drive the portability focus home (e.g. Switch Go), but I'm sure Nintendo made plenty of market research to come to the conclusion that Lite works too.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
So did anyone go through the dozens of old threads and collect the top "Nintendo will NEVER release a Switch that doesn't Switch" posts? Because by golly were there a lot of deeply convinced posters, lol.
Yeah I was really convinced that Nintendo wouldn't release a dockless Switch. I was so sure that the revision would still be able to be docked, even with no removable joy-cons, since that's what the Switch name is about. But looks like I was dead wrong since at this point, Switch is pretty much popular as a brand name too.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
if this kills hd rumble support moving forward i will be very upset

Woah, I didn't even think about that.

My best guess is that Nintendo will continue to support HD rumble with optional implications. Third parties might abandon it, or at least not make it a priority anymore.

But going froward HD Rumble implications will no longer be required and will no longer be a vocal point in marketing ( due to fear of alienating lite users). Kind of a bummer.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
We live in generation that has smartphone like galaxy S10 S10e S10plus, iPhone XS XR XS+.
Trust me people will not confuse about little "lite".

Jun 2, 2019
People don't realize that on it's own that' millions of potential sales. 'Outside of', as if that market is too small to care about lol.

Yeah, I for example have a nephew and a niece that are crazy for my switch but no way in hell I'm leaving it nor the joycons in their hands. The girl has been going on non stop about BotW and the boy is crazy about Mario Maker. As their uncle (And responsible for their gaming habits) this would make a perfect Christmas present.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
This article is currently the most shared on faz.net, one of Germany's biggest newspaper's website. Like the Switch Lite is the most shared news among all the things that are happening in the world atm. LOL

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright. Unless there's a mega version to be announced, might as well go ahead and buy the OG now.

My theory is to definitely wait for the current Switch to go out of stock then the new stock of the standard model will use the 16nm process found in the Lite but they'll push the clocks further which will improve framerates and resolutions in already released games that have dynamic resolution scaling imo.

At minimum you'll get an hours more battery life in handheld mode.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole system sees a 38% decrease in power draw, so the only components they can really get better battery life out of is stuff like the SoC, Screen and RAM. overall some of these components are going to have to use even less than the 38% and I'd suggest the SoC is where they saved the most power, the 7.1 watt number I give is for the minimum brightness on the screen, which on the OG model, I'm estimating to be under a watt, so you can only save so much power draw there. The SoC uses somewhere around 4.5watts in the OG model, I'd have to guess that has been chopped in half here too, if the entire system is now only using around 4.5 watts.

If they target the same as launch Switch battery consumption on the go, then what are your new best guess specs for the upcoming "Pro" using this new smaller chip that uses 38% less power? Might we finally hit the 1tflop mark on the GPU when docked on this new chip process?

Sorry for dp.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
But it still has the ability to "Switch", which is the point regardless of how you use it.
I wonder: what is the share of switch owners that are native English speakers ?
NA was at 12M as of March, UK was at 1.4M as of december. So, 15M or something. One sure thing, it's less than half.

I said native English, because from my anecdotal evidence (myself), the word "switch" is now much more linked to the brand than to the act of switching something, even for people who speak English as a second language.

I think the name is a non-issue.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
The name is totally a non-issue, and they clearly explained that the lite is only the portable mode of the Switch. The library is the same, identical one and this is the most important message that they should communicate to the customer.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theory is to definitely wait for the current Switch to go out of stock then the new stock of the standard model will use the 16nm process found in the Lite but they'll push the clocks further which will improve framerates and resolutions in already released games that have dynamic resolution scaling imo.

At minimum you'll get an hours more battery life in handheld mode.
How long would it take for the old version to go out of stock?

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like it. It's perfect for me as my main switch console since I adored the Vita. Might get a Pro later for the main TV but we really only play party type games right now on the TV.

The big question, does this come with a power cord?

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
same. i still don't really understand the appeal outside of kids not being able to break it as easily
If you like the Switch primarily as a handheld device it makes sense, since the Switch Lite weights less. That can make a huge difference. It's the reason why I sold my New 3DS XL for a New 2DS XL, which is super light and much more convenient to use in comparison.

Still very concerned about the screen size of the Switch Lite, or actually: the fact that game text appears even smaller on it.

Developers should finally start using handheld mode as the base when designing UIs and text fonts.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Wow. EU price is 229. Slap a pair of joy-cons with it for local multiplayer and you are already better of buying a normal Switch model. Nice Nintendo.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
How long would it take for the old version to go out of stock?

If the updated model with the shrunk CPU node is slated to silently release late this year, it will probably start appearing early December right after black friday and other early xmas shopping sprees murder the current OG stock.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why on Earth would you think Nintendo's primary target market for this is people who already have Switches?

This is about lowering the barrier to entry for the mass market, in preparation for huge mass-market games like Pokémon and Animal Crossing (and in Japan, Dragon Quest). It's not meant to be an upgrade for core gamers who already have a Switch that they like. It's meant to be a new cheaper option for the literal billions of people who haven't already bought one for $300.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

People are acting all weird on this announcement.

"BUT WHY BUY A 100$ CHEAPER SWITCH? WHO WOULD DO THAT?"

Yeah, I too wonder if there is an audience for a cheaper Nintendo handheld. Such a mystery!

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking that maybe the term "Switch" will take on a new meaning.

At first it meant a single console that could transform... but what if they decide to come out with a TV box à la VitaTV?

Make it easier to share games and saves, then you can "switch" between your dedicated handheld and your dedicated TV console...

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So even though it was part of the rumors I'm still genuinely shocked that Switch Lite is not dockable. Honestly it's the only reason I won't be dropping my current Switch for it.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Wow. EU price is 229. Slap a pair of joy-cons with it for local multiplayer and you are already better of buying a normal Switch model. Nice Nintendo.
It's fucking expensive, but since the Switch will be back to 329 euros once the revision releases later this year I guess they want this 100 euros difference.