• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah this is the cheaper option, we are getting the 'Pro' version later. Why would they sell it at $100 less while still keeping all the features?
I agree it makes sense if the plan was to get to the lowest possible retail price.

But a $229 - $250 version sold without a dock, no detachable Joycons and simplified rumble should have been possible and that's what I would have preferred. A refined "Lite" version like in the DS days instead of a "2DS" level downgrade. So I'm a little bummed about this announcement, that's all.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Playing with kids there is always a reason for them to touch it.

My sister is a kid and the Switch audience doesn't consist of kids only - far from it. And no matter what, I doubt anyone is playing the Switch on concrete either as otherwise it won't take any serious damage even when it falls on its back (which has never happend).

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I know it can't be docked but what if someone use a usb-c to HDMI etc?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who uses an account to share games with my brother on his Switch, the biggest concern I'd have with getting a Switch lite as a secondary unit is the online security check it makes for digital games. On your home unit that's presumably always connected to WiFi, it shouldn't be a big deal, but for the Switch Lite wherever you're taking it you'd better hope there's wifi you can easily connect otherwise you wouldn't be able to access your digital games. I'm actually not sure if you can easily switch the account from primary and secondary units so you can make your home Switch the one that does the online check thus preventing your Lite from requiring it. I've never looked into doing that before.
I know you can switch the master system with PS4.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
What happens with concentrating their software development on one platform lol? It's a wrong move to diversify back to two consoles.

Not if they are the same exact games. The Switch Lite could have easily been released and marketed as a new handheld. I mean, it's technically not even a Switch. It's a handheld that plays Switch games.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how this thread has turned considering that we have known what the Switch Lite would be all about MONTHS ago.

The site servers are going to melt when the "pro" gets announced and it doesn't have the horsepower of a PS4 Pro

I know it can't be docked but what if someone use a usb-c to HDMI etc?

I guarantee somebody is going to make several attempts at getting it to display on a tv lol. It won't take long after release

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
If there was no catastrophic nightmare over the naming conventions of the 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, 2DS XL, New 3DS, and the New 3DS XL, which just thinking about to this day makes me shudder with horror, there will be no problems between Switch and Switch Lite.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
i understand they wanna made it light to bring around..but they really should have improved the battery.

this being said, i don't know if i'd buy iy over a switch, but like they said, it's good to have choice.

Improving the battery these days basically means finding more volume within the device to put battery, because the tech is where it is. Filling more volume with batter = heavier.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You know what, I'm actually super excited about this, for another reason in particular. I think with this release, we'll see extra emphasis on making portable look and perform even better. That's probably wishful thinking on my part, but with a lot of future players only have portable mode, makes sense some extra dev time will be used to focus on improving that experience.

The cynic in me thinks developers will emphasize portable and deemphasize performance in docked mode.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who uses an account to share games with my brother on his Switch, the biggest concern I'd have with getting a Switch lite as a secondary unit is the online security check it makes for digital games. On your home unit that's presumably always connected to WiFi, it shouldn't be a big deal, but for the Switch Lite wherever you're taking it you'd better hope there's wifi you can easily connect otherwise you wouldn't be able to access your digital games. I'm actually not sure if you can easily switch the account from primary and secondary units so you can make your home Switch the one that does the online check thus preventing your Lite from requiring it. I've never looked into doing that before.
That's probably the best option for such players - making their OG Switch their secondary so that they always have access to all of their games on both Switch platforms (assuming their home internet is stable).

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Just to clarify, it will sell but no way as much as the normal switch imho.
You're probably right, and that is not a bad thing. The main purpose Nintendo sees for
So in conclusion:

Pros
Cheaper
Slightly better battery life
Has a Dpad

Cons
Loses its hybrid nature
Slightly smaller screen

Is that true?
Additional Pro - more solid/less breakable (due to no detachable joycons). Also, lighter.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So in conclusion:

Pros
Cheaper
Slightly better battery life
Has a Dpad

Cons
Loses its hybrid nature
Slightly smaller screen

Is that true?

Other Pros:
Noticeably Lighter (about 30%) so less fatiguing to use portably
Smaller (Though probably still too big to pocket)
The controls shouldn't have certain joycon issues like losing the connection

Other Cons:
No HD Rumble or pointer/camera functionality unless you use Joycons

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to. Whether or not the model at its price point is appealing to you in particular is irrelevant. It's going to sell a ton to a lot of other people

No one is arguing that it will not sell well. The poster you quoted, which prompted me to quote you, was replying to someone that was talking from a consumer perspective, this was the conversation:

I don't see the benefit of getting one myself as I already have a Switch. Considerably less functionality for only $100 less than the regular Switch. I'm sure it will sell well, but I'm slightly confused by it if I'm being honest.

I agree, this does not make sense to me. This would have to be $100-$150 for me to even consider it. The original does everything this does and far more. They say they are giving people options but they took many of them away.

There is no kick stand?

It should be $100-$125 or $150 and would have a bigger battery, better and brighter screen(See better in sunlight) and be able to dock(Dock not included).

see. hell, it was even said that it will sell well regardless, but for whatever reason you decided to cape for nintendo with this post:

Lol Posts like this are why I'm glad forum goers have zero say over what happens at Nintendo

as if its a good thing to pay only $100 less for a product that has considerably less functionality than the predecessor that came out 2 years ago.

all I said is none of what that poster said is outrageous. Not every day is a day to suit up in our captain-save-a-hoe attires for multinational companies, breh.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Do you some of y'all really not understand the concept of a Brand? Like, do you go around saying things like "technically Dove soap isn't even made of doves" or do you get that that's just a brand name.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I'd argue that at this stage, two and a half years after the Switch's release, that the center of Switch's appeal as a platform is its library of games. The ability to Switch or to take advantage of split controls is comparatively a novelty - features that some might value more than others, which in turn gives this choice value.

But Switch wouldn't have sold like this in Japan if it was console only, and wouldn't do the same in USA if it was handheld only

i don't really know

Software is selling in a way that never happened before for Nintendo's main franchises

i think the hardware itself is very appealing and it helped to push those games to greater heights

we will see in September and beyond how this will turn out.

Oct 26, 2017
If there was no catastrophic nightmare over the naming conventions of the 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, 2DS XL, New 3DS, and the New 3DS XL, which just thinking about to this day makes me shudder with horror, there will be no problems between Switch and Switch Lite.
Did you forget how many people crapped on the 3DS family's nomenclature? It was a problem back then too. It's worse in this case because you're calling a device that has no switchability as a "Switch."

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I don't believe you actually don't see the point of a smaller, lighter, more pocketable Switch. Which is 100 USD cheaper. Released right before Pokémon. No one is this obtuse.

I do see the point for kids as many people have quoted me on that now. I still think Pokemon will be played docked for the performance though.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
So now when your Joycons start drifting like crazy you'll have to send the entire console in, I guess

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you forget how many people crapped on the 3DS family's nomenclature? It was a problem back then too. It's worse in this case because you're calling a device that has no switchability as a "Switch."

People only crapped on it in video game forums. The naming had strictly no impact on sales or "confusion", despite the image that people have of families in this forum.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

I will never forget for as long as I live. I was one of those people.

But it didn't have any meaningful impact on consumers, markets, or retailers. That's all I'm getting at.

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
this is the most stupid idea i've ever seen

like it's incredibly baffling how anyone could write this theory and think "yeah it's simpler than just making a fucking smaller switch"

A smaller Switch that doesn't Switch. From now on, we need to change our marketing because Switch Lite doesn't include Joy Cons and it also doesn't connect to the TV.

Nintendo created great marketing for Switch, the complete opposite of Wii U and 3DS, and now we need to change it because Nintendo also wants a portable on the market.

Oct 26, 2017
Do you some of y'all really not understand the concept of a Brand? Like, do you go around saying things like "technically Dove soap isn't even made of doves" or do you get that that's just a brand name.

There's a difference between a brand name on its own vs. a brand name that is focused around communicating features. Using Dove as an example is very disingenuous considering its just soap.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
More Colors with Dark Buttons
pwHwwWM.png

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
as if its a good thing to pay only $100 less for a product that has considerably less functionality than the predecessor that came out 2 years ago.

It's smaller, lighter, has better battery life and a D-pad. It will most likely be harder to break and be more sturdy because of no removable Joy-Cons. It has functionality that the OG does not have.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Seems to be confirmed now it's going to be £199 in the UK.

Thought it might have been a little less. Having it being only 50 - 60 quid cheaper than the original console makes it less of an appealing impulse buy I reckon, but I'm sure the sales will prove me wrong.

The original model is still £279.99.

£80 more

I could imagine that lots of people would happily forgo Tv connectivity for £80. Perhaps if they never intended to use it that way

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to run to the store on release! I wanted a Switch for a long time and this seems perfect.

Can't wait to finally play Zelda and Mario :D.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It would be kinda like Dove saying " 1/4 moisturizing cream" and then announcing A Dove Lite that is just regular ass soap. People expect something from a brand that advertises something in a certain way. To remove that feels like its not really what they said it was.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A smaller Switch that doesn't Switch. From now on, we need to change our marketing because Switch Lite doesn't include Joy Cons and it also doesn't connect to the TV.

Nintendo created great marketing for Switch, the complete opposite of Wii U and 3DS, and now we need to change it because Nintendo also wants a portable on the market.

You don't need to "change" anything wtf. Everyone knows what a Switch does, the thing already sold close to 40 millions consoles. Switch's motto was "play anywhere, with anyone" and this doesn't change at all. Games will be marketed the same way they've been: showcase the wide variety of way you can play each of them with each model.

Like there's already an ad for the thing in the reveal trailer, and it's the exact same as they've always been marketing the Switch.

it's insane to me how the people in this thread can be so obtuse

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I do see the point for kids as many people have quoted me on that now. I still think Pokemon will be played docked for the performance though.
Is there evidence that this Switch lite won't be able to perform at the level of docked OG Switch? I'm not saying it will, but besides Nintendo I am unsure if anyone knows yet.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be confirmed now it's going to be £199 in the UK.

Thought it might have been a little less. Having it being only 50 - 60 quid cheaper than the original console makes it less of an appealing impulse buy I reckon, but I'm sure the sales will prove me wrong.
Nope. Nintendo don't quote prices in the UK, it's routine to see retailers highball, then gradually undercut each other, until they all kinda settle on a price. Has happened for every Nintendo console since the Wii U.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between a brand name on its own vs. a brand name that is focused around communicating features. Using Dove as an example is very disingenuous considering its just soap.

Brand names are just brand names. Especially when their name is more important than their intended usage.

Like Nintendo used to refer to playing cards.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Switch is a brand, not a function. No need to stress this much over it. "Switch Lite" is the easiest, most digestible way for the mass consumer to know what they are getting.