• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This might shock you, but it's possible this product isn't aimed towards you. It's aimed to new users who want a cheaper entry point. It's a piece of shit IMO but its existence makes sense.

Heresy! Every product has to be marketed towards resetera users with FOMO who buy every single SKU of every single console.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized something kinds huge. With no kickstand, theres no Micro SD slot. Meaning no expandable storage for games. Unless they specifically moved it, I think it was removed too.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
No adjustable brightness, reported elsewhere. Otherwise, it's the same as OG Switch, but in a smaller form factor.

The cnet article here states the lite lacks an auto-brightness sensor. So perhaps there is some confusion? Maybe the screen brightness is adjustable, but there is no sensor to auto-adjust. Could maybe be a translation issue causing confusion?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
My girlfriend's playing Mario Kart in bed every night. On her freaking DS Lite. I guess it feels more like her 'own' Nintendo.

So this is going to be perfect for her.

I can just add my account to the Lite and share my digitally purchased games with her, right? Or are they tied to my 'main' Switch?!
Yep. You can do this.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
...huh. Did anyone notice that it still has the two divots on the bottom, on either side of the USB port?

integrated-and-lite.jpg

As far as I'm aware the only purpose of those things was to enable the docking pins to fit into the Switch. If this can't dock why are those still there?

Oct 28, 2017
The point is that it will sell extremely well. Lots of people don't need the functionality of playing on TV, so a system that is designed specifically for handheld play and can remove lots of hardware (that drives the price up) will be very appealing to a lot of players.
It would have been appealing to me but they haven't really done that. It's not more portable. I don't play tv mode at all so I'd have been down to upgrade to a portable only Switch, but since this is neither close to Vita level portable nor does it have a battery life upgrade worth mentioning I'm out.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Does this come with a charger or is Nintendo carrying the lack of one in the box forward from their other handhelds?

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't what anyone is saying. I wanted a smaller, more portable Switch with better controls (d-pad and hopefully better analog sticks) without losing the ability to dock it. The switch is a great console, but it's a rather poor handheld. A major feature and selling point of the original system, for many people, is that it can do both. I would like to have a Switch that is a better handheld, without sacrificing the main thing that makes the system great to me.

And I'd like to cuddle up with Katy Perry tonight instead of my wife, but that's not happening either...

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
they address that in the video. you can still pair joy cons to it.
Such a small set of games. And you can buy a second set of detachable joy cons and still plan on it if you really want to.

Sure, but I could see that being a somewhat upsetting surprise to less-informed consumers (especially parents). Having to drop another $70 would be annoying.

but also, if they were detachable, then you'd have different-sized joycons to worry about.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
So can I redownload all my purchases on this and still have them on my main switch or do I have to do a transfer and empty my main switch?

Oct 25, 2017
I am like a 90% handheld player. There are only a few games I fully played on my TV (Odyssey was one of them so I could shake shake shake my joycons) but I don't think I could ever fully commit to never docking again. Would mean giving up my smash gamecube playing too. Good for those who don't mind it, but I think taking one option away completely I just could not do.

Oct 25, 2017
Use the connector present in current Switch models, design a special cable for that, sell it standalone and don't include it in the box. You're welcome.

Angry they only sell it standalone? Well they sold 3DS models without charger, so it would even be Nintendo-like!

Again, that's R&D money spent. Those are units manufactured. And given your scenario where it isn't included in the box, those are units sitting in a warehouse that certainly won't sell as well. Manufacture fewer of them? Then the marginal cost of production makes it prohibitively expensive. It not worth it for them to do that. Call it anti-consumer if you'd like, but Nintendo determined that the value proposition for the Switch Lite does not include docking features and determined that $200 price point was most important. Buy the original model or wait for a Pro to be announced if you want to dock.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Tough decision because now it offers less optionss but is priced $100 less. It also looks like the rumble and motion features are going to be even less introduced now in upcoming games so it can appeal to both versions.
The only example they gave about motion controls was 1-2 Switch, which is a game that can't be played in handheld mode. They said the system can play any handheld compatible game, so the system likely still has gyro functionality.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Lol. In what universe were people expecting Nintendo to slash the price by $100 dollars yet still make it connect to a tv? Keeping in mind that Nintendo sells the dock for $89.99. What would be the point in buying a $300 dollar Switch at that point when this thing supports wireless controllers?

Some people on Era get some serious tunnel vision. This version is clearly marketed for people who don't like TV play, people with kids or folks on a budget.
If you have more than one kid, than isn't the original better since you can do multiplayer, out the box?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a pretty compelling product. I am shocked that they won't have a cable for connecting it to TV but other than that it seems cool. Not really targeted at current at current switch owners and I don't see why I would get it, but I could see it being a great Christmas gift for kids.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
...huh. Did anyone notice that it still has the two divots on the bottom, on either side of the USB port?

integrated-and-lite.jpg

As far as I'm aware the only purpose of those things was to enable the docking pins to fit into the Switch. If this can't dock why are those still there?
A specilized dock might be coming down the line

Oct 25, 2017
I have 2 regular/OG Switches. My kids mostly play handheld, but, pop the controllers off a lot for two player stuff. Mine mostly stays docked.

What I'm saying is I'm not the market for this device, but, I'll probably get one at some point because I have no self control.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
but they obviously knew when picking the name that this will be a very strong option going forward. that means they already had it in mind and not a retcon.

I'm saying that's what the name refers to and the claim that it doesn't came after because obviously they knew it needed to stay flexible. Nothing you say is incompatible with that assertion.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Better ask Nintendo to clarify this text:
www.nintendo.com

Compare - Nintendo Switch - Nintendo - Official Site

Compare technical specs and more features of the Nintendo Switch™ – OLED Model, Nintendo Switch, and Nintendo Switch Lite systems.
Compatible Games:
Nintendo Switch: All Nintendo Switch Games
Nintendo Switch Lite: Nintendo Switch games that support Handheld mode
Do you have a list of docked only titles? I remember handheld only releases, but not docked only. The list is probably far too small to care.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
USB Type-C is just a connector shape, and the underlying technology could just be USB 2 or USB 3.0, so I imagine they chose one of those cheaper options to save a couple of cents.

Or to use my assumption, with how small it is (22% smaller) the thermals were not ideal for having the clocks at docked speeds so they disabled the feature.

OK. Again for me this seems expensive. You guys really don't need to defend this thing from me. I'm just stating an opinion.

And they are stating their opinion back at you, that's called discussion :-)

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
With all the complaints I've seen, if the internet as a collective designed the Switch Lite it would cost $600.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
will this have a charger in the box? i hope it does but if it doesn't at least the connector will be standard usb-c.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I don't know why people are surprised with this device. We've known about this for months and we knew that they were making a cheaper handheld focused device. I guess when people were reading it they didn't think about what handheld focused meant.
I'm gonna guess a lot of people, myself included, didn't put much weight in the rumors and simply waited to see the official announcement before giving it much thought. I think I visited the WSJ thread once since it was started, just prefer to not discuss stuff like that until it's 100% official.

Oct 27, 2017
I can see why Labo doesn't work with the lite but that's because of the form factor not due to the lack of ability to dock.

And no IR sensor.

A $200 BOTW and Tetris machine playable anywhere, released just in time for Pokemon. The holiday contest is already over.

I do wonder if/when a pro model will phase out the OG Switch the way the OG 3DS was phased out.