• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's just an estimate from ZhugeEX and we actually don't know how accurate that JD sales tracker is on the website.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Nice.

So funding from the Chinese government?

;)
i wonder, why some americans make fun of china, while the NRA/US-governments are funding titles such as call of duty.
they chinese play by the rules of the host country while the US wants to play with their set of rules everywhere in the world.
i honestly dislike this approach more and more.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder, why some americans make fun of china, while the NRA/US-governments are funding titles such as call of duty.
Mostly because they don't fund Call of Duty.

The military WILL use the opportunity of taking advantage of call of duty to shore up recruitment rates for the military by recruiting during launch days and making an eSports team, but none of that is linked to Activision itself and the government mostly doesn't give a shit.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
eShop hit 2000 in July.

Also the gray market of the switch is pretty large, but I guess the appeal of the local version is Tencent providing all online services and WeChat, something the normal Switches do not have.
I see, thanks for the info. Thats a lot of games!

Is Tencent the only publisher of Switch games in China by the way? Like having an exclusive deal on that?

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Played and beat Crystalis decades apart. Looking forward to another run through. Journey to Silius is one of those games which somehow eluded me all this time. I used to study it in game magazines back in the day but never played it. The time is now

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
I see, thanks for the info. Thats a lot of games!

Is Tencent the only publisher of Switch games in China by the way? Like having an exclusive deal on that?
It's a distribution partnership and many of the games coming to the Chinese eShop within the first year is dealt with by Tencent, but that does not mean they'll publish every game in the eShop.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It's a distribution partnership and many of the games coming to the Chinese eShop within the first year is dealt with by Tencent, but that does not mean they'll publish every game in the eShop.
Got it. I'm just trying to figure out why there is only one game at launch, and not even a single eShop only release (if thats the case).

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So this twitter account is claiming that preorders on this one website are over 50k:

I can't read or understand Chinese, so I have no idea if that is the correct interpretation. Can someone who does read Chinese weigh in?

The number might have changed. The screenshots showed 27,631 pre-ordered the Neon Red/Blue SKU and 27,735 people have pre-ordered Gray SKU this. In total, it's over 54,000 pre-orders.

Update:

Shitty internet + Unable to fix my post in time....

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Got it. I'm just trying to figure out why there is only one game at launch, and not even a single eShop only release (if thats the case).

It's not too hard to figure out at the moment. The iQue 3DS only got 2 games released and they were the two games that came pre-installed on the device. There was also no eShop on the system. Tencent is most likely handling getting games through government approval/censorship board which has slowed down the number of releases they're letting through. Most will probably just buy titles released for HK/Taiwan to play on the device (as those releases will have simplified chinese localization)

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It's not too hard to figure out at the moment. The iQue 3DS only got 2 games released and they were the two games that came pre-installed on the device. There was also no eShop on the system. Tencent is most likely handling getting games through government approval/censorship board which has slowed down the number of releases they're letting through. Most will probably just buy titles released for HK/Taiwan to play on the device (as those releases will have simplified chinese localization)
Thats true, but the iQue launched a long time ago, at a time when online distribution of games wasnt common (and like you say, there were no eShop on that system). And China has become one of the biggest (if not the biggest) gaming markets since that time. So seeing only one launch game is surprising to me, but it probably have something to do with the goverment approval as you mention.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Thats true, but the iQue launched a long time ago, at a time when online distribution of games wasnt common (and like you say, there were no eShop on that system). And China has become one of the biggest (if not the biggest) gaming markets since that time. So seeing only one launch game is surprising to me, but it probably have something to do with the goverment approval as you mention.
I wouldn't entirely say that the issue was it being so long ago. iQue 3DS It came out at the end of 2012 and the eshop had been running for over a full year in other territories. As well the iQue DSi did launch with dsiware in china with a handful of digital titles. I really think the number of titles we see officially released in china will depend on software sales of titles released in china vs the effort it takes to get them through government approval.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't entirely say that the issue was it being so long ago. iQue 3DS It came out at the end of 2012 and the eshop had been running for over a full year in other territories. As well the iQue DSi did launch with dsiware in china with a handful of digital titles. I really think the number of titles we see officially released in china will depend on software sales of titles released in china vs the effort it takes to get them through government approval.
Oh, my bad, sorry. For some reason i didnt see your mention of "3DS". I was thinking of the N64 iQue, lol, which was released back in 2003 or something. I didnt even know there existed a 3DS iQue hehe. Yeah, the end of 2012 isnt that long ago indeed. Looking at the 3DS iQue, i guess its not an unprecedented situation, eventhough i think 1 game for a console launch is a really low number.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Oh, my bad, sorry. For some reason i didnt see your mention of "3DS". I was thinking of the N64 iQue, lol, which was released back in 2003 or something. I didnt even know there existed a 3DS iQue hehe. Yeah, the end of 2012 isnt that long ago indeed. Looking at the 3DS iQue, i guess its not an unprecedented situation, eventhough i think 1 game for a console launch is a really low number.
Ah ok make sense on the confusion. Yeah the systems they released in china were all iQue X with the n64 based system being iQue Player (I actually own one). I think most forgot about the 3DS's release, I'm probably one of the few to actually have one exported from china (the designs at the time were exclusive to china until NOJ used them for a promo in japan).

Nice to see the confirmation on why there is only 1 game so far. "Tencent has confirmed that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey are currently in the final stages of approval by China's gaming regulator and are expected to launch in the coming weeks "

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
How does something sell so little in a place with almost 2 billion people
Because wealth disparity, mobile dominance, market rhetoric, and plain ol' gray markets hinder the widespread demand for a gimped version of a console when you can import a normal one that can do everything through a VPN.

PS4 took 4 years to sell 1.5 million consoles there. So expectations are set.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because wealth disparity, mobile dominance, market rhetoric, and plain ol' gray markets hinder the widespread demand for a gimped version of a console when you can import a normal one that can do everything through a VPN.

Switch may do a little better then if they like mobile

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

don't even need a vpn. I play Tetris just fine in china. Eshop works too. It's way faster than wiiu ever was.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch may do a little better then if they like mobile
its already quite popular, I (and another dude) in this thread have already mentioned we see them around often on the subway in tier 1s and at the airports. Nearly every flight I'm on in the east coast I see at least 1. I see way less out here in Yunnan though.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
Was that a widespread thing? I remember I read about it briefly (here?) and then it was gone... I never experienced any block myself but I honestly don't go online much.
It was at least big enough that I heard of it through Chinese news sites (that I can't remember). Outside that I don't know.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Say goodbye to any gay representation people expected to get from Nintendo

nintendo only has one game that has people with any kind of sexuality at all really, so not sure who is expecting nintendo to make games with gay representation. Also, China will be a tiny bit of their market, I don't think it will have any bearing on what kinds of games they will create.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
nintendo only has one game that has people with any kind of sexuality at all really, so not sure who is expecting nintendo to make games with gay representation. Also, China will be a tiny bit of their market, I don't think it will have any bearing on what kinds of games they will create.

Mario, Link and Star Fox have all had sexuality at one point or another and plenty of side characters in other series have sexuality too. It's not just Fire Emblem.

On that point, is it safe to assume Three Houses will never release in China?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mario, Link and Star Fox have all had sexuality at one point or another and plenty of side characters in other series have sexuality too. It's not just Fire Emblem.

On that point, is it safe to assume Three Houses will never release in China?

I think that whatever amount of sexuality Mario, link, or Star Fox has had in the past, if it had the equivalent in homosexuality it would get past the censors. Like if mario rescued toad instead of princess toadstool I think China wouldn't give a fuck. Seriously I haven't played every mario, Zelda or Star Fox but I can't remember any sexual situations in any of them.

The new Fire Emblem I haven't played yet, so I don't know how gay it gets, so to speak, but it's already in Simplified Chinese so it shouldn't be too hard for them to apply to sell it in China. It's easily available online and at game retailers already (same as every other switch related thing). I have no guess either way on if it would be approved or not if they tried.

Honestly I don't know the exact rules for portraying LGBTQ+ people in Chinese media, I might be wrong but I don't think there is an outright ban on homosexuality. There are plenty of "flamboyant" or "feminine" guys on tv that may or may not be gay (I know it's not really good to assume that they are gay but I don't really pay attention when my gf is watching chinese tv), and there is at least one pretty famous transgender star that's always on tv. You don't see guys kissing or anything like that though.

I'd guess if the homosexuality in FE isn't overt then it's fine. Or Nintendo could always localize the game for the Chinese audience and censors if they thought it was worth their time and money.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
JD App is currently at 119,000 pre orders here on launch day. I guess we will need to wait for a press release or financial statement to see if this number is real or not, but that's way better than I expected, and just one online retailer. If real we could be looking at 200k + hardware launch?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bumping but I just visited my local Suning and they didn't have any Switches anywhere. I'll probably head down to the bigger one at the new fancy shopping center tomorrow and check there if they have any if I get some free time.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Note: This is one of the online retailers (as Zhuge said). So, please don't correlate this with total sales before we have any idea how this relates approximately to the general market!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
JD App is currently at 119,000 pre orders here on launch day. I guess we will need to wait for a press release or financial statement to see if this number is real or not, but that's way better than I expected, and just one online retailer. If real we could be looking at 200k + hardware launch?
I've read in an article somewhere (by Niko partners I believe) that said that the pre-orders shown on JD website are more like thr number of wishlist addition and that usually only 10% or so translate to direct sales in the short term. Would you say that's a reasonable interpretation of those numbers in the app and on the website?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've read in an article somewhere (by Niko partners I believe) that said that the pre-orders shown on JD website are more like thr number of wishlist addition and that usually only 10% or so translate to direct sales in the short term. Would you say that's a reasonable interpretation of those numbers in the app and on the website?

I don't know I've never preordered anything in China. I supposed I should have tried to preorder and see if I needed to put any money on it or what, but I didn't do that so oops.The wording on the app next to the number is basically "booked an appointment," I don't know exactly what that means on their end if it's a prepurchase or just wishlist, I definitely can see it not being a real number of consoles sold. I think my first post in this thread said the number is probably fake anyway lol. Lots of business do that sort of thing out here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017