• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You said you are checking this on the JD app? Maybe it takes longer to update the numbers there or something. Something similar happens on Amazon for me from time to time
. On the website an article is sold out but via the app you can still order.

yea using the jd app. Here I'll try and figure out how to upload The current number.

SinCItyAssassin I don't have any of those apps lol, I'll get imgur now and see what I can do though.

Edit: apparently you can't use an iPhone to register for Imgur. I'll try later on computer.

Deleted member 59562

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
50k pre-orders on JD that quickly would be pretty crazy if true. JD has about half the market share as Tmall (or slightly less), so a total ~150k pre-orders first day would be reasonable. That's much stronger than I would have expected with 1 AAA game at launch. This can compare to the ~330k initial launch in Japan.
it's pretty believable for me
Nintendo games since launch have had robust simplified Chinese support in anticipation of this launch (which was mostly delayed by the government reassessing its industry-wide regulation on video games, which are primarily mobile, predatory, and parasitic here, just like everywhere else). The console is still region-free, and imported games are all over taobao and in regular import shops. I see switches all the time in the shanghai metro, and everyone in my office has one. Even if the newest pokemon game was a dry turd that must have hurt gamefreak's asshole, everyone grabbed one, and the mindless, hateful mobile-game style endgame loop is pretty solid for the market here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
There's some pretty neat Chinese-developed indie games on Switch. Would be nice to see them promoted by either Tencent or Nintendo to recognize the regional talent.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Does anyone know if this version is region-free as well? Can someone who owns one simply change regions and buy games off of the US e-shop or is this locked down?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Tencent's complete stranglehold on everything videogame-related in China is getting kind of ridiculous at this point...

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if this version is region-free as well? Can someone who owns one simply change regions and buy games off of the US e-shop or is this locked down?

I heard that the system can play cartridge games from other regions but the online service is region locked (which I guess makes sense since the online part is running on local Tencent owned data centers, instead of the Nintendo operated ones; also, rumors are that players will connect using their WeChat IDs rather than Nintendo IDs). Since Nintendo/Tencent is launching games in China with a lower price tag (299 RMB/~40USD), Chinese region cartridges will not be playable on consoles from other regions.

Last edited:

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Looked at the tracker and it seems bot colour versions share a tracker number so it's at 55k combined, not each. There's a chance I might be wrong but I think it would be unlikely for both variants to sell within less than 1% of each other and switch which one sold more every click, as the split is higher for all other markets.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Has China ever had a hit console game, like Japan? Are consoles even a thing there, or do they prefer PC like Korea?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Team Cherry is a AAA partner now? :D I mean their game is one of the best on the platform but that made me chuckle.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldnt this allow Nintendo to sell a ton of software to existing grey market consoles? Would I be correct in thinking that imported games would not be localised to chinese?

If there is rampant piracy of course this effect could be limited...

Most exciting element to me is the Tencent developed games using Mario IP

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
not that different to when switch launched WW ;)
Hehe, well, its true that the Switch launch didnt have THAT many games, but is it literally just one game? No download-only games or anything? Theres like 1500+ Switch games so far, so one game isnt much. I know that China has stricter rules and all that, but still.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
Hehe, well, its true that the Switch launch didnt have THAT many games, but is it literally just one game? No download-only games or anything? Theres like 1500+ Switch games so far, so one game isnt much. I know that China has stricter rules and all that, but still.
Considering how preorders are going I guess it doesn't matter.
Also 2900+.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how preorders are going I guess it doesn't matter.
Also 2900+.
Import and gray-market will exist, but i just find it strange that they dont capitalize more on the launch. One game is crazy low.

Damn, 2900+? Or do you mean 1900+? I wasnt sure if it was 1500+ or around 2000 when i wrote my post previously, so i just wrote 1500+. Wikipedia list 1949 games, i see now.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
Import and gray-market will exist, but i just find it strange that they dont capitalize more on the launch. One game is crazy low.

Damn, 2900+? Or do you mean 1900+? I wasnt sure if it was 1500+ or around 2000 when i wrote my post previously, so i just wrote 1500+. Wikipedia list 1949 games, i see now.
eShop hit 2000 in July.

Also the gray market of the switch is pretty large, but I guess the appeal of the local version is Tencent providing all online services and WeChat, something the normal Switches do not have.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
I love how they're pushing a 1 year warranty like it's a selling point. Are those generally not a thing in China?

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder what character Nintendo will replace dry bones with.
Is this a thing? There's Nintendo games (LIke Mario Kart Wii) sold in China on Nvidia Shield, but I don't know what changes they made.

edit: my first seach result:
Indeed, this seems to be exactly what happened in the case of World of Warcraft. When the game was first censored, back when it was being published in China by The9, some papers reported that the changes were made to make the game more "healthy and harmonious," and there was speculation that the government was to blame. But The9's PR director Zhao Yurun told ChinaNet that actually, The9 had chosen to flesh out World of Warcraft's skeletons voluntarily, before ever submitting the game to the Ministry of Culture for review. Their hope was that the changes would help the game sail more smoothly through the approval process.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So serious question... I assume Winnie the Pooh is going to be removed from the Chinese editions of Kingdom Hearts? It's hysterical that I even have to ask this, but I am curious.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
True. I don't know why I thought KH was on the Switch for a minute. XD

But I'm curious to see if the character is completely radioactive in China now, even in the actual context of films and games.
You will see if they localize Disney Tsum Tsum. Tsum Tsum is mega popular in Asia as a whole so I doubt they would leave that behind.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be a bit higher than expected, but I'm not sure what the consensus is.

What are the chances that at some point the Chinese console market explodes rather than increases gradually? To be clear, this doesn't necessarily have to be the Switch console and could be any future console?