• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (5 days) Continued pattern of console warring
Ohhh man you are a brave talking bad about a Nintendo product in this forum, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like you bought a Switch just to complain about it if you didn't bother actually researching anything before buying it a second time.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Yep. The demand is still there at the higher prices so there is no incentive for Nintendo and other publishers to decrease the price of the supply.

People seem to be willing to pay more, perhaps for the portability.
It was like that on Wii U, Wii, etc. Less to do w/ portability more to do with the fact that this is how Nintendo has always functioned.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The Switch tax is for:

-cartridge costs
-additional optimization to run on the hardware
-hybrid gaming. Every game is a handheld game now too
-Novelty of hybrid gaming device/games

It annoys me too OP, but I guess I get it. 3rd party games go on aggressive sales too. I grabbed Wolfenstein 2 and Skyrim for far cheaper prices during sales.
This thread is more about the Nintendo tax in other countries than the typical Switch tax, a very very annoying problem long before Switch was released.

Now imagine Switch tax + Nintendo tax o.O

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh man you are a brave talking bad about a Nintendo product in this forum, lol.
What is this supposed to mean?
You can and should criticize Nintendo where they fuck up, and yes, game pricing is one of those areas where there is a lot of scope for debate on their strategy. With that said, OP is being disingenuous as fuck with that first post:
  • They don't specify the currency at all
  • They list five games, of which only one is a Nintendo game and the others are all third party games
  • They misrepresent the system's positioning
  • Half their time isn't even spent talking about the pricing
OP should be called out for a bad faith attempt at what would otherwise be a legitimate discussion.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It really sucks that Canadian prices are so high. Nintendo is the original proponent of "no sales to not devalue our product" and it seems to be working for them so they are not going to leave money on the table.
They've had Player's Choice across many generations.

There's no reason to drop the price when they were (are still!) selling games in the 10s of millions.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is more about the Nintendo tax in other countries than the typical Switch tax, a very very annoying problem long before Switch was released.

Whats the cost of full price PS4/XBO titles in Canada ?
Cant really take a person serious that complains about a Mario Kart title being full price though.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I barely buy any games for my Switch. Price of entry for games, even old ones, is too damn high.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
People defending this triggers me so much

This is me being sensitive here, but as someone with a severe mental illness, unless this is a legitimate trigger--those defending Nintendo prices, which I doubt, could folks not use the term "trigger" like this for those us with actual emotional triggers in life? I'd appreciate it a bunch! :)

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like you bought a Switch just to complain about it if you didn't bother actually researching anything before buying it a second time.
ogo.on.the.go do such a thing? No.

Switch game pricing in Canada is pretty much in line with pricing for other systems (all new games launch at $80 in Canada). The issue of course is that other systems at least see price drops, where Switch games don't, and relative to the weak dollar causing disproportionately higher prices, that hurts more for Switch owners.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
It was like that on Wii U, Wii, etc. Less to do w/ portability more to do with the fact that this is how Nintendo has always functioned.

I agree there in terms of Nintendo-published games, they've always priced them high because they have a loyal fanbase that will buy them even at high prices (and they also made games that tend to be high quality).

But other publishers are putting ports on the Switch that are way more than the going rates on PS4 and Xbox1. In those cases it seems like they are putting a Switch tax or a portability tax and we often hear those games still do well.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the cost of full price PS4/XBO titles in Canada ?
Cant really take a person serious that complains about a Mario Kart title being full price though.
A new PS4 or Xbox One game in Canada also in fact costs $79.99.

but his point is right, Nintendo EShop doesn't have good sales.
Yes and no. eShop has some good sales across the board unless you want Nintendo games specifically, in which case, yes, Nintendo games are never dropping in price.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It does though. The most content rich MH game ever is 50% off right now well under a year after its release. Nintendo also discount their titles very often, Zelda, Odyssey, Mario Kart have been discounted multiple times each despite selling like crazy at full price.

So yet more disingenuousness to add to the pile.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Fully agreed. It's a big reason why I sold my Switch. When it comes to the software, it's an incredibly expensive console to own. Too expensive for my liking.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thats not true - 100-200 titles are on sale every week.
Sales arent as crazy as on PSN/XBL, which is understandable since those plattforms are older and have much more content available to put on sale.

Also indie sales are quite healthy on Switch - no dev is gonna lower their prices when the customers are actually willing to pay them the asking price.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
Someday peaple will use the advantages of true region free in switch eshop. In pc it need vpn + adress+ number with chances of permaban, in xbox one it requieres the same of pc but with country compatible creditcard( looking at you argentina xbox store) in play station you cant even pay with credit card in your local country playstation store. Switch only needs credit card..

Try buying in Sudafrica or rusia. store for 1st party games, Mexico or Argentina for indies, and japan for 3rd party.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
As an aside, I find it amusing that Nintendo added a condition to their $100 for 2 games voucher where at least one of the games had to be $60 to prevent knuckle-draggers from buying 2 games for $50.

80 is 60

Canada isnt the only place with a disgusting rate of living vs actual wages
I'm aware of how currency conversion works. But as you may know, most Canadians are paid in local currency, so 80 is effectively still 80.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Either way nintendo doesnt set prices of games that other people make. And if they were unhappy the first time buying a console why buy it a secomd time without researching if anyrhing you didnt like improved or not. People just make dumb decisions and then complain about those same decisions and pass the blame. No instead lets make a thread about it. Nintendo games very rarely decrease in price. Thats not news to anybody. And its been happening for a long time. And the nintendo switch at only two years old is proved just fine. Thwy clearly live in a shitty region when it comes to video game prices. Thats not unique to nintendo, comparing the price to a xbox one and ps4 is dumb because they do vastly different things and one is much newer.
They're in Canadian dollars.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
A new PS4 or Xbox One game in Canada also in fact costs $79.99.
Makes the OP even more ridiculous - MK8D is one of the biggest titles of this generation and THE Switch seller. Why would anyone buy a Switch and expect it to be cheaper than other games ?

If you are happy with the WiiU version - stick to it and get it for cheap....but dont complain about obvious known stuff after buying the system.

SleepyPanda46

Oct 26, 2017
You can't argue over a price, if the thing is only for entertainment. I mean if something has a bad price people don't buy it. So if it seels like the switch the price of the system and the games seems to be what the market will pay.

I mean it is not like when food or water would be expensive and you had to starve...

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I can accept paying full price for Nintendo first party games, but seemingly all third party games and indies can be purchased cheaper elsewhere. Sales are terrible compared to PC game sales. I haven't touched my Switch in months for this reason. It's both the best and worst system for indie gaming.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GASP!
you mean this isnt a tax... but an MSRP that costs the same across all regions but only looks different because of exchange rate??
Yes, a currency that OP very conveniently neglected to mention as you will notice

Makes the OP even more ridiculous - MK8D is one of the biggest titles of this generation and THE Switch seller. Why would anyone buy a Switch and expect it to be cheaper than other games ?

If you are happy with the WiiU version - stick to it and get it for cheap....but dont complain about obvious known stuff after buying the system.
I mean, again, I actually do agree that Nintendo should absolutely start dropping prices for games that are older, rather than keep them full price for years. But I would make that argument without resorting to outright deception and misrepresentation like OP did.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$80 CAD is $60 US so where's the problem exactly?
I'm going to repeat myself as a response, I hope you don't mind:

Switch game pricing in Canada is pretty much in line with pricing for other systems (all new games launch at $80 in Canada). The issue of course is that other systems at least see price drops, where Switch games don't, and relative to the weak dollar causing disproportionately higher prices, that hurts more for Switch owners.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, I find it amusing that Nintendo added a condition to their $100 for 2 games voucher where at least one of the games had to be $60 to prevent knuckle-draggers from buying 2 games for $50.

I'm aware of how currency conversion works. But as you may know, most Canadians are paid in local currency, so 80 is effectively still 80.
Yes, and the canadian minimum wage is still largely much higher than the vast majority of states, so its still an equal situation.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, again, I actually do agree that Nintendo should absolutely start dropping prices for games that are older, rather than keep them full price for years. But I would make that argument without resorting to outright deception and misrepresentation like OP did.

Why should they. I know why people want it to happen but i see no reason why they should do it if they don't want to.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty fed up of it as well. Even the new offer is ÂŁ84 to get 2 games, but the list is so limited with games that have already been reduced to cheaper than this overall - and even then that isn't much.

Combined with the sheer lack of meaningful titles, all I have to look forward to are Animal Crossing, Mario Maker 2 and now a super distant Metroid Prime 4.

For me, it is making more sense to sell now before E3 and the announcement of the new Switch consoles. Every other service I am using for gaming has been so much more competitive, and particularly on PC, I have the added confidence of indefinite perpetuity. I'm pretty much done.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
I'm going to repeat myself as a response, I hope you don't mind:

So.blame the developers of the games. The only pricing nintendo controls is their own published and developed games lol. If skyrim doesnt go on sale guess whos fault that is? And a hint. Its not nintendo. Nintendos own games i agree with, but thats not a problem unique to switch

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Why would Nintendo be responsible for the price of third-party games? Only MK8 is from them in that list.

don't they determine the price of carts? (I mean the fee a publisher has to pay to get the carts)

I don't think anyone, Nintendo or 3rd parties, are doing this to piss people off. It's just that CDs weren't an option for a handheld and carts cost way more to print.

instead of losing money, they are passing the cost of it to the consumer, in exchange they get to play high quality games on the go and actually own them.

people can take it or leave it, they can vote with their wallets.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Yep it's one of the reasons why I rarely buy Switch games unlike it's like an exclusive I really wanna play.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
If you feel bad about comparing it to US prices you should compare it to 46.89 ... where some people live... (hint: UK)

Oct 28, 2017
And coming soon, Devil May Cry 1 HD for $49.99! Digital only. Featuring Dante from the devil May cry series.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the price.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is worth it, price be damned.
It's content starved though. Glad I borrowed it from a work mate.
I laughed when I saw the credits roll after all the stages in grand prix mode. Like, that was your version of a campaign?, lol :p

I'm sure it's much better when played with friends though.

OT yeah, OP that's the reason why I don't have many switch games and why my switch mostly collects dust.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Sales of their evergreen games is their core business - they aint dropping MK8D price anytime soon - especially when the market CLEARLY disagrees with that notion.

Switch is still a relatively new system - people expecting the pricing eco system to be on the same level as for systems that are about to be replaced and had been on the market for 6 years are somewhat delusional tbh.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that part but people seem to be very angry that they don't which is what i don't get.
Yeah, I'm not angry about it, I get it, but it is unfortunate that the prices don't drop, IMO

So.blame the developers of the games. The only pricing nintendo controls is their own published and developed games lol. If skyrim doesnt go on sale guess whos fault that is? And a hint. Its not nintendo. Nintendos own games i agree with, but thats not a problem unique to switch
I'm not blaming Nintendo outside of their pricing for their own games, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.