• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So as long as it's Nintendo, you're willing to complain about it, huh?
No, what he is saying and of course you are free to disagree is that he won't judge Sony today due to covid and the OS of the PS5 coming in hot. Whereas Nintendo had 3 years now to implement a USB solution and they didn't. Thus it's probably down to policy, while on Sony side it could be a new policy or simply not enough time to implement it at launch. Thus he wants to wait and I think that's fair.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see I wasn't the only one annoyed with how much the Nintendo Switch Online icon stands out.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
No, what he is saying and of course you are free to disagree is that he won't judge Sony today due to covid and the OS of the PS5 coming in hot. Whereas Nintendo had 3 years now to implement a USB solution and they didn't. Thus it's probably down to policy, while on Sony side it could be a new policy or simply not enough time to implement it at launch. Thus he wants to wait and I think that's fair.
Considering how many people do hot-takes constantly of whatever new Nintendo implements, I don't even know if that could even be considered a fair shake.

Regardless, using USB for data transfers of game data does open up the potential liability for the system to get jailbroken via save data manipulation, which has happened before on the 3DS. Perhaps if there's a way to create encrypted archive files that only the Switch can read, perhaps there could be a way to allow for at least save backups on an external device without the risk of it being manipulated.
I see

I hope the next model will be able to do it or the next Nintendo system :(
More RAM could always help.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
being able to copy over my Animal Crossing screenshots and clips is a huge add for me, lol

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how many people do hot-takes constantly of whatever new Nintendo implements, I don't even know if that could even be considered a fair shake.

Regardless, using USB for data transfers of game data does open up the potential liability for the system to get jailbroken via save data manipulation, which has happened before on the 3DS. Perhaps if there's a way to create encrypted archive files that only the Switch can read, perhaps there could be a way to allow for at least save backups on an external device without the risk of it being manipulated.

More RAM could always help.
Yeah, this is the main thing people keep forgetting. Past Nintendo hardware got jailbroken because of save data exploits on SD cards. Did people really think Nintendo would want to risk opening a door with USB save transfers?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah, this is the main thing people keep forgetting. Past Nintendo hardware got jailbroken because of save data exploits on SD cards. Did people really think Nintendo would want to risk opening a door with USB save transfers?
I can understand that and security is important. But then they should provide free space in the cloud for saves. I think that's fair to ask for, due to some already doing this (Steam, Xbox, ...) and space actually being cheap (for these big companies). Btw this goes for Sony aswell, if they don't add a offline solution.

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
Awesome news for screenshots! Now I just need the ability to auto-hide game icons for games not installed on the inserted MicroSD Cards. Sifting through a sea of icons to find those without a cloud icon is no fun!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that and security is important. But then they should provide free space in the cloud for saves. I think that's fair to ask for, due to some already doing this (Steam, Xbox, ...) and space actually being cheap (for these big companies). Btw this goes for Sony aswell, if they don't add a offline solution.

Yeah, cloud saves absolutely need to be a basic feature of consoles.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Yep, hate this red dot, especially at 720p. Everything else is great, though, adore the USB transfer option (get ready screenshot thread).

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo doesn't want to add for folders, or thinks it will affect responsiveness, they should at least add more categories to sort by and allow for All Software to be a default view.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
If Nintendo doesn't want to add for folders, or thinks it will affect responsiveness, they should at least add more categories to sort by and allow for All Software to be a default view.
Call the customer support, and give your feedback to them. They will log it into their internal systems, and if a lot of us send feedback this way, the feature request will go through, and then it will be more likely placed on a queue for development.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
PS5 doesn't offer the ability to do that outside of PS4 games (for now at least), so that's technically not true anymore.
Read my previous posts about current PS5 situation.

So as long as it's Nintendo, you're willing to complain about it, huh?
I will complain because i want a free solution to backup my saves. Be it Nintendo Sony or MS
Sony allowed on ps4 local saves transferred to an usb drive. I give them some room because it is obvious that ps5 os has launched with some things that need to be fixed ASAP. So considering their previous way of handling this issue on ps4, i think it is fair to wait a little, if they don't, it will be the same shitty policy as Nintendo. Or do you think it is fair what Nintendo is doing with this topic and because it is Nintendo we cannot criticize them?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
So if I'm understanding this correctly, do cloud saves now sync on multiple devices similar to the Xbox ecosystem (meaning automatic and mistake-proof), the small caveat being "*Save data will not be downloaded automatically unless save data for that software exists on the console. The first time only, users must download the save data manually."?

I'd more strongly consider swapping to a Lite when going portable now if I don't have to manually babysit my cloud saves, along with Animal Crossing recently getting more lenient with save transfers.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to trying out some of these updates later. Will bother my friends with screenshots since I haven't been able to share them easily before (I don't use Twitter).
I only have one Switch at the moment, but it'd be nice if saves could be synced with local Switches with the same account, the same way the system allows sharing of update software without requiring online. I guess it ultimately doesn't matter since if you're system isn't set to primary it requires an online connection anyways, but anything to limit the requirements of the internet for preservation of your software the better.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still just can not get the phone transfer to work with my Galaxy S20FE. I tried it with both the lite and og model. Even with mobile data off and typing in the password it tells me invalid password for the network no matter what. Meanwhile my iPad works no problem.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
The wireless screenshot transfer is excellent but it's a bit awkward on my Pixel where I have to turn off mobile data before it will connect to the local web page for transferring photos. I wonder if I'm missing a setting somewhere...
Where the option is on the pixel I have no idea, but I'm certain this is because you have the WiFi option to automatically use mobile data if the WiFi is unreliable enabled. This works by changing the connection gateway based on if the OS thinks you don't have Internet, which you technically don't when directly connected to the Switch, thus preventing your Web browser from connecting to its local Web server.
So they go to all the trouble of making the Switch a wifi hotspot and serving the files to you, but they can't make a simple USB transfer possible through the dock? I know this would not work for Lite users, but even if they just allowed USB transfer through, say, a USB-C device like a USB-C USB drive (they do exist!) or a C to A cable for that there's no reason this couldn't be a thing.

Unless... there's some sort of flaw in them mounting a VFAT/exFAT USB drive to the system that opens it to attack and they can't patch it so they're not... wait...
It's actually quite simple why they can't do it, and it's nothing to do with security but rather a physical limitation. All the data capable USB ports on the Switch Dock are USB A. USB A does not have a protocol for host-to-host communication, nor can it be used as a client, you need USB B or C for that. Connecting it to your PC is just not something the dock has a connection for.
This is also why Switch devkits come with a completely different faux-dock with an additional USB B port for debugging while docked.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is always happens, why are people either posting stability memes or yelling at Nintendo and then one another in these Switch firmware threads.

Is it because we don't have the Themes Rabbit back? I liked him.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. Getting Captures from the Switch to my phone, uncompressed is easier than doing the same on PS5.

Sony please.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Where the option is on the pixel I have no idea, but I'm certain this is because you have the WiFi option to automatically use mobile data if the WiFi is unreliable enabled. This works by changing the connection gateway based on if the OS thinks you don't have Internet, which you technically don't when directly connected to the Switch, thus preventing your Web browser from connecting to its local Web server.

It's actually quite simple why they can't do it, and it's nothing to do with security but rather a physical limitation. All the data capable USB ports on the Switch Dock are USB A. USB A does not have a protocol for host-to-host communication, nor can it be used as a client, you need USB B or C for that. Connecting it to your PC is just not something the dock has a connection for.
This is also why Switch devkits come with a completely different faux-dock with an additional USB B port for debugging while docked.
I'm not talking about host-to-host, I'm talking about plugging in a USB drive, it gets mounted as a storage device and then in the video and screenshot manager you can tell it to copy the content to the device you specify (USB or, well, microSD if it's not already there). It's like they're afraid of using a USB drive of any sort, because aside from not having so many games available when running handheld there's not a good reason they couldn't have enabled this for docked mode to use a USB drive for games, too (but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself on that one).

It's cool they made a way to share without swapping the microSD in and out or having to share to Twitter or whatever, but it's also a weirdly cumbersome method they came up with to do what is, nowadays, a rather simple task.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So if I'm understanding this correctly, do cloud saves now sync on multiple devices similar to the Xbox ecosystem (meaning automatic and mistake-proof), the small caveat being "*Save data will not be downloaded automatically unless save data for that software exists on the console. The first time only, users must download the save data manually."?

I'd more strongly consider swapping to a Lite when going portable now if I don't have to manually babysit my cloud saves, along with Animal Crossing recently getting more lenient with save transfers.
I can't answer your question. However I wanted to remind you this doesn't happen automatically as the default setting in the savegame options is off. If you enable the function, then savegames will automatically be checked and if they are newer in the cloud downloaded onto the SD automatically. Perhabs you already knew this, but I wanted to let you know just in case so you don't get unpleasant suprised.

This is also why Switch devkits come with a completely different faux-dock with an additional USB B port for debugging while docked
Wow thanks for the insight.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
t's actually quite simple why they can't do it, and it's nothing to do with security but rather a physical limitation. All the data capable USB ports on the Switch Dock are USB A. USB A does not have a protocol for host-to-host communication, nor can it be used as a client, you need USB B or C for that. Connecting it to your PC is just not something the dock has a connection for.
Ohhh, now I'm educated. Thanks.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Haven't tried it myself because I'm at work, but can you transfer Smash Bros. replays to your computer via USB? I know the smartphone way would be much too big of a file size.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Haven't tried it myself because I'm at work, but can you transfer Smash Bros. replays to your computer via USB? I know the smartphone way would be much too big of a file size.
I think you need to convert the Smash recording into video, then you can transfer the video to your computer via USB. It's in the Settings > Data Management, I believed. I haven't tried it yet.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Someone shared this here minutes after the release so this is kind of late lol, but video of the birthday easter egg:

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone delved into the code yet and seen if there are any new hints at future hardware?

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
After multiple tries I can't get the QR code transfer to work with my IPhone 11 for both pictures and video, just stays on the "connecting" message after the code is scanned with a static WPA related screen on my phone.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Someone shared this here minutes after the release so this is kind of late lol, but video of the birthday easter egg:

Yee I found this on my own, and I love it because I already used game release dates to keep track of yearly events lmao. A lot of summer GameCube releases landed exactly on my birthday (Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur 2...)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
After multiple tries I can't get the QR code transfer to work with my IPhone 11 for both pictures and video, just stays on the "connecting" message after the code is scanned with a static WPA related screen on my phone.
Ok, I know what is your issue. I tested this out on my iPhone 12 and the Switch. The same directions work with Android.

When you're scanning the first QR code, and the scanner displays something like WIFI;XXXXYYYYYZZZ;WPA:AAAAAABBBCCCC, it means that you can't directly connect to your Switch's WIFI server, because it doesn't have the correct password authentication. This is something that many different types of iPhone may or may not support, so you should just assume your iPhone is unauthorized for now.

If you do see the "WIFI...WPA..." string, on your Switch, press the + button on your right Joycon, and follow the instructions to connect your iPhone to the Switch. If not, skip this step, because you should be connected to your Switch or had successfully connected to your Switch once before.

Once it's connected, the Switch will automatically jump to the second QR code. Once you scan that one, it will display another text, but it's 192.168.0.1/XXXX.html. Open that URL, and you're good to go with downloading the video/screenshots to your iPhone.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I power up my Switch in flight mode with my Hori Split Pad Pro attached I get the message "Attach the joycon controllers to the console. The joycon controllers cannot be used wirelssely when flight mode is enabled. You can turn flight mode on or off in the quick settings".

I definitely don't recall it say that before this update. Anyone else with the Hori Split Pads seen it before or is it indeed new? It's hardly the end of the world, but it is another button that needs pressed when getting back into the game...which irritates me.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm not talking about host-to-host, I'm talking about plugging in a USB drive, it gets mounted as a storage device and then in the video and screenshot manager you can tell it to copy the content to the device you specify (USB or, well, microSD if it's not already there). It's like they're afraid of using a USB drive of any sort, because aside from not having so many games available when running handheld there's not a good reason they couldn't have enabled this for docked mode to use a USB drive for games, too (but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself on that one).
That would certainly make more sense. I'm curious about the logistics of doing that while hooked up to a dock that's managing all the power delivery itself, especially if you disconnected it while writing data, FAT32 can be a very volatile file system.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Whenever I power up my Switch in flight mode with my Hori Split Pad Pro attached I get the message "Attach the joycon controllers to the console. The joycon controllers cannot be used wirelssely when flight mode is enabled. You can turn flight mode on or off in the quick settings".

I definitely don't recall it say that before this update. Anyone else with the Hori Split Pads seen it before or is it indeed new? It's hardly the end of the world, but it is another button that needs pressed when getting back into the game...which irritates me.
Considering there's an option to use wireless controller even in flight mode. I kinda doubt this is new, but who knows.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
That would certainly make more sense. I'm curious about the logistics of doing that while hooked up to a dock that's managing all the power delivery itself, especially if you disconnected it while writing data, FAT32 can be a very volatile file system.
The usual statements of do not turn off, restart, unplug the drive while in use? Also add do not remove from the dock and you're probably good.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
The Nintendo online app is so much more responsive than the eShop one. Why can't the my make the eShop snappy?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That's how all newer Android work by default. It's a terrible user experience.

They should have used the current network and just hosted the files there