• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty insane how much have changed in 20 years.

Modern day MS doesn't even care anymore, they're a cloud and saas company now.

The original purpose of the Xbox was stopping sony from taking over the living room and eating a huge portion of the PC userbase. Little did they know a smartphone and tablet was the true threat.

MS pivoted quickly though with Nadella and ended up saving themselves.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
null_zps7bebf49b.gif

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Did Japan have the foreign entity merger/acquisition laws in 2000? If so it never would've happened anyway.

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
Why is this guy saying that Nintendo hardware was bad compared to Sony's?
It's flat out wrong unless he is referring to multimedia capabilities

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Odd exchange, especially since Microsoft acknowledged that Nintendo's strength was in its software and that Microsoft would handle the hardware. While I think Microsoft's hardware has gotten better and better in recent years, I'm really not a fan of the original Xbox's aesthetics. That said, I'm surprised Microsoft didn't approach Sega with this same offer. I don't think Sega's software has the polish that Nintendo's does, but having access to Sega's back catalog (and its IPs in general) would've resulted in more recent Xbox consoles being even more incredible.

I mean, imagine Back Compat with support for...
  • Xbox One
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox [Original]
  • Dreamcast
  • Saturn
  • Game Gear
  • Genesis (and 32X and Sega CD)
  • Master System
  • Sega's various arcade releases
Heck, maybe we could even get Xbox ports of some of those games Sega released on GameCube and PlayStation 2.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
In another universe Splatoon has a successful esport scene.

Last edited:

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
Odd exchange, especially since Microsoft acknowledged that Nintendo's strength was in its software and that Microsoft would handle the hardware. While I think Microsoft's hardware has gotten better and better in recent years, I'm really not a fan of the original Xbox's aesthetics. That said, I'm surprised Microsoft didn't approach Sega with this same offer. I don't think Sega's software has the polish that Nintendo's does, but having access to Sega's back catalog (and its IPs in general) would've resulted in more recent Xbox consoles being even more incredible.

I mean, imagine Back Compat with support for...
  • Xbox One
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox [Original]
  • Dreamcast
  • Saturn
  • Game Gear
  • Genesis (and 32X and Sega CD)
  • Master System
  • Sega's various arcade releases
Heck, maybe we could even get Xbox ports of some of those games Sega released on GameCube and PlayStation 2.

I remember reading that microsoft had a deal agreed with an executive at SEGA to buy them outright, but irrc that guy died and nothing further happened

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I swear its like people here dont relaise people actually like what the switch is doing. Its not all about raw power(and i game on PC). I wouldnt give up the Switch's flexibility for anything
Same here.

Maybe i am just aging as a gamer but the Switch might just be everything I've ever wanted from Nintendo. I hope they stick with the concept and continue evolving it.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Time and time again, people say Nintendo games on more powerful hardware as if it was objectively better. Nintendo didn't become popular because of powerful hardware, it was always the games.

Yeah anyone who was around during the N64 or Gamecube games knows that power didn't do much to help.

Some might argue that we could have had the best of both worlds tho.

I think there is some merit to this view for sure, though you also have to consider the drawbacks of developing for cutting edge power -- inflating budgets, increased workloads, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.