• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully by the time my deck gets here I can find some guides somewhere else. That FZeroGX footage looked amazing.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I think some of you are being purposefully obtuse.

Emulation has always been a grey area for a lot of reasons and console makers and owners of IP may have issues with emulation of their games being promoted. It's not rocket science.
Typical Nintendo. Now I'm encouraged to emulate their games on my Deck.
As long as you are purchasing a Switch and the games and dumping them yourself to keep just for yourself and not sharing or reselling the games or broadcasting to the world that you are emulating Nintendo games on non Nintendo hardware, I am sure they won't have a problem with it

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Fair Enough
This isn't a war they can win
but it's a war they definitely will fight in it.

Anybody who promoted emulating Switch games on another popular handheld, knew exactly what he had signed for
Pretty much.
Well, Phawx has videos up about Xbox and PS3 emulation on Deck already, so we will see if you're right.
I mean Switch games are the bread and butter of Nintendo as a company - ofc Sony or MS wont be as affected by PS3 or OG Xbox stuff lol.
But you knew that. I think Sony would look at it different if HFW and and GT7 would be able to run on similar hardware at launch.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Pretty much.

I mean Switch games are the bread and butter of Nintendo as a company - ofc Sony or MS wont be as affected by PS3 or OG Xbox stuff lol.
But you knew that.

Nintendo also removed his Dolphin video.

EDIT: I would also add that Microsoft still offers OG Xbox games, and if the rumors about Spartacus are true, Sony is getting into it.

I didn't mean my comments to be a gotcha, I really did mean "we will see".

Last edited:

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Thankfully they don't seem to care about the 3ds anymore. Just ordered a Japanese new 3ds LL to mod and there are a lot of videos on YouTube explaining how to do it .

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo also removed his Dolphin video.
Collateral damage at this point, once you wake up sleeping dogs would be my guess. Pretty much proving that the point is about using Nintendo IPs and games to showcase the emulation, not the emulation itself.

I mean hate it or love it, but if your business is about selling certain kind of content and hardware, you are gonna sideye other avenues that promote other hardware using your IPs and content.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Don't know why would anyone use Nintendo games to show emulation of a Nintendo device on a device they didn't create at this point. It takes half a second of thought to know what's gonna happen. Nintendo should and will go after videos that they feel threaten sales considering the r4 and such.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I get why people upload footage of stuff like Mario Odyssey and BotW being emulated but you gotta know how awful Nintendo is about this at this point

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo seemingly feels threatened if you sneeze on a switch cartridge at this point

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Collateral damage at this point, once you wake up sleeping dogs would be my guess. Pretty much proving that the point is about using Nintendo IPs and games to showcase the emulation, not the emulation itself.

I mean hate it or love it, but if your business is about selling certain kind of content and hardware, you are gonna sideye other avenues that promote other hardware using your IPs and content.

I don't disagree with you at all.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Common sense really isnt applied in these kind of threads.
They probably think Sony would be okay with it, if there were videos out there showing how you can play TLOU, Spiderman, Uncharted and whatever for free on Xbox.

Lol this exact channel has a video up running God of War PS3 on the Deck. There's a ton of videos of the Series X emulating PlayStation games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I assume the way around this would be not showing any Nintendo owned or affiliated games. So just use stuff like Rise, Doom, SMTV, etc, to benchmark.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Lol this exact channel has a video up running God of War PS3 on the Deck. There's a ton of videos of the Series X emulating PlayStation games.
Talking about the games Sony are actually selling now - PS4/PS5 games not OG PS One games. As in Horizon FW and GT7, not Gof of War on PS2 or Wipeout on PSX.

The internet is full of youtube videos regarding emulation of classic Nintendo systems, why are people acting as if Nintendo is or has been taking all these guides down ?

I assume the way around this would be not showing any Nintendo owned or affiliated games. So just use stuff like Rise, Doom, SMTV, etc, to benchmark.
I would think so, yes.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Talking about the games Sony are actually selling now - PS4/PS5 games not OG PS One games. As in Horizon FW and GT7, not Gof of War on PS2 or Wipeout on PSX.

The internet is full of youtube videos regarding emulation of classic Nintendo systems, why are people acting as if Nintendo is or has been taking all these guides down ?

They literally took down his Dolphin video.

There's tons of vids on Youtube showing Nintendo's Switch games being emulated. No idea why they targeted this channel.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Well current Sony games already work on Steam Deck, so it wouldn't matter either way in their case. Same with Microsoft (who also still sells classic OG/360 games).

They literally took down his Dolphin video.

Also this.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
yeah Im not seeing how nintendo can take down these videos legally speaking
any publisher can take down any video of any of their games. All of streaming, youtube guides, lets plays, etc exist only because they've decided they don't want to take them down, but its a house of cards and has no legal protection if publishers ever change their mind or switch strategies.

Jul 7, 2021
User banned (3 days): accusations of astroturfing
Holy shit at the corporate bootlickers in this thread.

Emulation is LEGAL. And it is fair use to showcase the games running on the deck in this way. This aren't playthroughs.

Man, does nintendo shine its boots with cherry flavored polish? How does it taste?

Dec 5, 2017
any publisher can take down any video of any of their games. All of streaming, youtube guides, lets plays, etc exist only because they've decided they don't want to take them down, but its a house of cards and has no legal protection if publishers ever change their mind or switch strategies.
Yeah streaming games exists because they are okay with it existing. No court in the land would find it fair use to just play a game while talking over it. Something that is an actual review or critique using more limited clips and offering real critical commentary is a bit more of a gray area and might survive a challenge but that's not the case with 99.9% of these videos.

Holy shit at the corporate bootlickers in this thread.

Emulation is LEGAL. And it is fair use to showcase the games running on the deck in this way. This aren't playthroughs.

Man, does nintendo shine its boots with cherry flavored polish? How does it taste?

Emulation is legal but Youtube doesn't need to host any videos it doesn't want to as a private sector company and just showing an extended clip of the game running is a far cry from fair use as defined by any court. Making the video not showing Nintendo published games and it might have better success.

Jul 7, 2021

Let's plays and guides might fall outside of fair use, but performance reviews with short clips of the game are definitely fair use.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love emulation but I get why Nintendo is taking measures to make it harder to happen.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure every other company would be ecstatic to show how you too can pirate their products.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Let's plays and guides might fall outside of fair use, but performance reviews with short clips of the game are definitely fair use.

It's DMCA abuse but I don't think people generally care here. DMCA doesn't punish overreach and corporate entities are very ready to push it to the limits. Instructional/Educational videos absolutely fall within fair use.

Whats interesting is how often "Japan doesn't have fair use laws" comes up and Youtube have previously shown the ability to do localized takedowns specific to particular regions, but that never manifests in these situations, so that justification goes out the window.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Yeah I'm sure every other company would be ecstatic to show how you too can pirate their products.

Maybe you should take a look through their channel and see that they have emulation videos for other platforms still up.

Actually, do a quick Youtube search for Switch emulation and see the PLETHORA of videos on it. It's in the thousands. They targeted this channel and the Deck.

They ran quite bad on the SD though, but it should improve down the line.

Also i dont know if freaking out is the right way to describe what happened here lol.

I'd be curious to see the video done with shaders pre-loaded (or with Vulkan). The performance issues looked to be shader stutter related for the most part.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this actually done by Nintendo however? An official take down should also include the specific branch that did the take down and just simple 'Nintendo' isn't any of the branches. NCL/NOA/NOE are...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious to see the video done with shaders pre-loaded (or with Vulkan). The performance issues looked to be shader stutter related for the most part.
For sure - the emulation developers are gonna update and improve around the Deck. Just saying that initial footage looked worse than what we have seen on other portable PCs like the AyaNeo.

Lystron

Banned
Feb 22, 2022
Nintendo and Apple are among the most requested companies I've seen people wanting to "open up" more and can't accept that they don't want to do that.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Don't conflate private copies uses, that target movies, music and most media with software. Backup of software in almost any country is always protected by law, and video games are considered software.

That's not entirely relevant in the UK, as the art and music assets that compromise a game also gain separate protection by copyright and the prohibition on private copies also applies there.

The actual code of the game mechanics could be considered software (for which UK law permits a single backup copy but you cannot use both that and the original at the same time) but not the entire, working title. And most importantly, you cannot break a content protection mechanism in order to make the copy under UK law without the written permission of the Secretary of State for Culture. Which you do not have as they have never granted one. So there is no way to "back up" Switch software from the cart under UK law legally.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I can't blame them. I'm not a fan of emulation in general personally, but doing it with current gen systems is simply encouraging piracy. Yes, there will be some people who own the games and just want another means to play them, but the overwhelming majority will just be stealing them. Don't encourage it.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's DMCA abuse but I don't think people generally care here. DMCA doesn't punish overreach and corporate entities are very ready to push it to the limits. Instructional/Educational videos absolutely fall within fair use.

Whats interesting is how often "Japan doesn't have fair use laws" comes up and Youtube have previously shown the ability to do localized takedowns specific to particular regions, but that never manifests in these situations, so that justification goes out the window.

While YouTube can do that localised takedown in theory it requires manual back end intervention by YouTube support. Rights holders are not offered take down limited to a territory (or territories), nor do YouTube offer video producers the facility to do so.

It must be said, most people are also just wrong about the limitations on Fair Use in the US which is much more ambiguous and uncertain think it is.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I just think its funny seeing the change in reactions compared to the news about Metroid Dread being emulated

This also reminds me of a discussion i had with another guy who claimed that "with SteamDeck there is no reason to buy a Switch anymore" not even caring that emulation sites tell you point blank that you need the console to do this legally

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Funny because it's pathetic but also shitty how YouTube will just do whatever a big enough company asks of them however flimsy the reasoning is.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how some people move the goalposts, first it was you can pirate old games that aren't being sold by the publisher but now its you can pirate all of them?
Different people have different opinions on piracy.

I still just think buy when you can, but publishers shouldn't be surprised if people look for other ways to play if they don't make their old games available.

I'm also in the "emulation and piracy discussions are separate and we should probably stop this conversation here" camp, because seriously, not every emulation thread needs to go into nonsense rambling about piracy.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Funny how some people move the goalposts, first it was you can pirate old games that aren't being sold by the publisher but now its you can pirate all of them?

Only if they are worth multi-billion dollars.

So: https://companiesmarketcap.com/video-games/largest-video-game-companies-by-market-cap/

- Paradox are worth $2.16Bn, so that's a multiple of a Billion, so that's fine.
- Team 17 are not fine as they are only worth $1.17Bn.

Paradox, Sega Sammy, CD Projekt, Capcom, Square, Ubisoft, Konami, Embracer, Bandai Namco, Take 2, Nexon, EA, Nintendo, Activision Blizzard, Sony, Tencent and Microsoft are ALL FAIR GAME!