• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SI_N64_DonkeyKong64_image1600w.jpg

I really loved Donkey Kong 64 back in the day. The game was absolutely massive, with tons of great levels and fantastic music.

However, the game has aged very poorly for the simple fact that switching between the five characters requires going to specific points in the level.

726.gif

This should absolutely be corrected, as it is such a frustrating design that it overshadows the rest of the game. The remaster should let the player switch at will between the characters at the press of a button. I think this alone would go a long way into making the game a lot more fun.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Just so long as they don't use the god awful Smash Ultimate version of the DK Rap.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would make a brand new Donkey Kong 3D platformer. One of the all time greatest game series in 2D deserves a better 3D movement platformer than DK64.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
The game would need a serious overhaul in its collection mechanics. All the kong specific items just kill the pacing

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You would still have to keep swapping characters to collect things like bananas and coins which gets annoying fast.

DK64 just isn't that good of a game. You'd have to reimagine it from top to bottom to salvage it. Some things are best left in the past. Might as well make a new 3D game at that point.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wonder if Nintendo would ever do this. All the Rare classics that got ported or upgraded on GBA or DS were done by Rare themselves. I just feel like Nintendo would only ever bother to remake "their own" games. Porting it is enough for them, I assume they don't care enough to "correct" it because they're not the original creators.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
As far as I remember, DK64 was criticised for its overuse of the collectathon formula even at its launch. So I can imagine the gameplay didn't age well, as even Yoka Laylee was too much for many players.

What we need is a new 3D DK platformer, not a remaster.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If they did, more people would just see how badly designed it is. I really think it's better left alone.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I'd be up for it I guess. This is one of those games I played a lot as a kid but never managed to finish because I sucked too much at games.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
That's a no from me. It didn't feel like a Donkey Kong game at all. What we need is a Jungle Beat sequel from EAD Tokyo, or a proper 3D platformer that isn't a collectathon.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this game when it came out, and I think that a remaster would be really great, but unfortunately I don't think that this game is beloved enough to be worth the financial investment required to do it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it ever happening without rare. Way more likely that there is just a new 3d dk made.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
They should honestly just have Retro make an entire new 3D DK after their work on TF

I haven't played DK64 but have not really heard good things about it

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
There is no salvaging DK64; it's endlessly entertaining to watch in speed runs, just to see how broken the game is but actually playing it is utter misery and being able to switch Kongs with a button press wouldn't change that.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't aged poorly, or at all. The insane decision to load every massive level with collectables you can only pick up on one of the five characters was maddening and apparent at release. It's one of the worst designed platformers of its time or any time. Calling it a platformer is almost being generous, considering the amount of time spent running over long stretches of nothing while following a trail of bananas you may not even be able to collect.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer they just make a new 3D DK game, than try and restore a mediocre one.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The only possibility of a remake is that k.rool's final smash is a hint, like luigu's poltergust. Way more likely to just be a reference.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked what I played back in the day, but never got close to finishing it. It was just too much of that sort of game. Banjo Kazooie was probably the sweet spot on size, for me.

Mar 9, 2018
Nah. We need to do better. The new generation shouldn't be exposed to racing beetles down a slide while collecting 50 coins.

Just make a new 3D DK game that capitalizes on the best parts of DK64 -- mostly some of its personality. In particular, bring back Lanky Kong which has strong star power and mindshare even today.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I say skip remastering DK64. There's too much they would need to fix with that game.

Nintendo EPD or Retro should instead make an all new DK 3D platformer. Imagine a game as open and ambitious as Odyssey, but with DK and his crew.

large.jpg

Like, imagine exploring some of the locals in TF in 3D.

Oct 30, 2017
The game would need a serious overhaul in its collection mechanics. All the kong specific items just kill the pacing

The Kong specific collectibles didn't kill it for me. But the horrendous controls did. It felt so much worse than other N64 collectathons at the time. I still liked the game but the controls didn't help anything.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. However after the N64 remasters on the 360, I've been surprised Nintendo hasn't done anything like that.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Remaster the original trilogy instead. Keep everything the exact same, just with actual 3D graphics instead of pre-rendered ones.

Of course, pre-rendered sprites at higher resolutions would be even better

Sylverstone

Nothing amazing happens here.
Oct 24, 2017
New York City
Look, I'm all for nostalgia but fuck DK64. Weeks upon weeks pouring over the player's guide as a kid, dealing with bullshit that just feels like padding, BEAVER BOTHER, and to make matters worse, I get stopped dead in my tracks because I couldn't beat arcade Donkey Kong for a stupid coin.

Hard pass.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Mario 64 DS has a lot of the same problems as DK64 I find.

Namely that I don't want to keep changing characters and I just want to do everything as one character.

You're not wrong, I do think the original version's the tighter experience. For me the novelty of playing as the other Mario characters makes up for it though, while I don't feel any attachment to most of the Kongs.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Mario 64 DS has a lot of the same problems as DK64 I find.

Namely that I don't want to keep changing characters and I just want to do everything as one character.

The difference with SM64DS though is the majority of it can be done with any given character - and when it can't, you're given a Hat to do so.

SM64DS actually takes the DK64 model and vastly improves upon it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No because the game is terrible in every single way, right down to how it feels to play. You can't really fix it with a remaster. Nintendo would be better off making a new DKC or new 3D DK game instead.