• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Nintendo Classic would you prefer to see this Christmas?

• N64 Classic

Votes: 215 46.6%
  • GBA Classic

Votes: 176 38.2%
  • Virtual Boy Classic

Votes: 70 15.2%

• Total voters

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This already wasn't going to happen.
With COVID-19 it especially won't happen now.

Just trying to be realistic instead of being heart broken.

But in my dreams, N64. Always.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
If it came with 2 and you yould but 2 more - adding 2 extra ports wouldn't be expensive . th eps1 classic came with 2
I'd expect the system come just with one controller, actually.. not only because the basic set of the original N64 system came with one controller only, but if you insist to add more than just one in the package of a mini-version.. well.. the box itself won't much more mini anymore lol. The controller is probably an expensive factor of the whole thing;

probably won't have the slot for a rumble pak and won't need anyway, but even then, it's bigger than the SNES and the NES replicas they made

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mini N64 would be awesome. I'd love to play Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 again.

But why not play these on Switch? It would be portable, and the library wouldn't be fixed. And it wouldn't take up an additional controller port or require additional controllers/power adapter.

And maybe they could release a new N64 replica controller so we can have proper analog movement.. someone explain why you'd prefer a mini console instead?

Nosferato88

Oct 24, 2019
I don't understand why people keep asking for the classic handheld console. This is completely stupid. The purpose of these "mini" consoles is simply to replicate the experience on modern televisions, which would obviously make perfect sense for the Nintendo 64, to wrap up with the experiences of the past.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So easy, I'm going to vote Virtual Boy Classics, and why? We bloody need that Wario Land to be re-released!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For the people wanting a GBA (or GB/C) Classic, how many of you are considering an Analogue Pocket?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people keep asking for the classic handheld console. This is completely stupid. The purpose of these "mini" consoles is simply to replicate the experience on modern televisions, which would obviously make perfect sense for the Nintendo 64, to wrap up with the experiences of the past.
when i imagine what a GBA classic would be like, it's a small, actually portable console with good battery life and a good screen that can play GBA (and GB)'s greatest games. personally i'm very into a device like that. i know switch is technically a portable device but come on. that thing is not easy to carry around.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I don't think we're ever getting a classic TV connected console again. The few good N64 single player games have been remade and the controller is too expensive. Kart and Smash really don't hold up anymore. I could see a NSO app for N64 though. Gamecube games are too modern so it wouldn't feel retro and would eat into gamer time too much, plus expensive controllers. They will never do a NSO app for GC.

GBA is possible, but I doubt it. The games are too good and I think they would argue that a GBA Classic would eat into Switch Lite sales too much. I think a GBA NSO app is more likely. A GameBoy color classic might be possible though since those games are archaic. If they do this they better load Mole Mania or else it will be a paper weight.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should do so much. Like releasing a VC on Switch.
But they won't and do as they like.

The way I see it, they don't need to as there isn't much benefit to doing so. There's already nothing at all stopping the third parties that are interested in releasing their old titles on the store as is, and plenty have been doing so. We've got a large number of old titles from sega, capcom, konami, square and others are free to release their titles as they wish on the eshop already.

Nintendo's own games wouldn't be on the store anyway, since like it or not, evidently the sales numbers simply weren't there outside of s small handful of big titles (and how many times can they sell the OOT N64 ROM to people?), And they're tied to the subscription service now. Probably going to add another console to it this year too, same as last year, either GB or N64.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not disagreeing, but the call for VC seems really disconnected from reality and I'm not even sure if people asking for it are even aware on what is on the Switch. Seems like a copy paste complaint

What do you mean?

The way I see it, they don't need to as there isn't much benefit to doing so. There's already nothing at all stopping the third parties that are interested in releasing their old titles on the store as is, and plenty have been doing so. We've got a large number of old titles from sega, capcom, konami, square and others are free to release their titles as they wish on the eshop already.

Nintendo's own games wouldn't be on the store anyway, since like it or not, evidently the sales numbers simply weren't there outside of s small handful of big titles (and how many times can they sell the OOT N64 ROM to people?), And they're tied to the subscription service now. Probably going to add another console to it this year too, same as last year, either GB or N64.

Yeah, VC numbers for Switch are 0.. I can't believe nobody bought any of the VC games on Switch! Oh, wait.

On a serious note, VC on 3DS was awesome with decent support - but the store connection speed and UI probably didn't make it too popular. I believe VC on Wii did well but that was a long time ago. The Wii-U should not be used to measure the potential success of VC on Switch.

It is (in my opinion) their biggest misstep of the generation to not have proper VC. Hopefully their attitude towards their legacy content changes next generation.

I don't really understand why 'sales' are an argument fans make against proper BC or VC support (talking about PS4 as well). Look at all the positive press Microsoft released for their wonderful BC announcements, it practically saved the generation for them if it wasn't for Gamepass. It's worth it just for the PR win.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can't even imagine an N64 classic without Rareware's back-catalogue.

It could be done, assuming 20 games like the SNES classic

1) Super Mario 64
2) Mario Party 2
3) Mario Tennis 64
4) Mario Golf 64
5) Paper Mario
6) Mario Kart 64
7) Zelda Ocarina of Time
8) Zelda Majora's Mask
9) Super Smash Bros
10) Star Fox 64
11) Pokemon Snap
12) Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
13) Wave Race 64
14) Sin & Punishment
15) Yoshi's Story
16) Excitebike 64
17) Pokemon Puzzle League
18) Pilotwings 64
19) F-Zero X
20) Mario Party 3

You could in theory do an N64 classic with only first party Nintendo games. Now I can't fathom a world in which at least Donkey Kong 64 doesn't make the cut (I originally had it in place of Mario Party 3, but decided to change last minute to prove the point) and there will for sure be some 3rd party games (Bomberman 64, Castlevania 64, Quest 64, Harvest Moon 64, etc) but it can be done without Rare.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, VC numbers for Switch are 0.. I can't believe nobody bought any of the VC games on Switch! Oh, wait.

Don't be deliberately obtuse.

1) Sales of old games are not zero because there are numerous mega drive/SNES games already on the system, as well as other platforms.

2) I refuse to believe you're so stupid you didn't realise that I was refering to the previous platforms, 3ds and Wii u.

Nintendo themselves obviously conclude that there's more value to them financially to distribute them over a subscription service than piecemeal.
Most other companies are going for packages of collections, plenty of which are in the eshop right now.

Apr 25, 2020

1) Super Mario 64
2) Mario Party 2
3) Mario Tennis 64
4) Mario Golf 64
5) Paper Mario
6) Mario Kart 64
7) Zelda Ocarina of Time
8) Zelda Majora's Mask
9) Super Smash Bros
10) Star Fox 64
11) Pokemon Snap
13) Wave Race 64
14) Sin & Punishment
15) Yoshi's Story
16) Excitebike 64
18) Pilotwings 64
19) F-Zero X
20) Mario Party 3

You could in theory do an N64 classic with only first party Nintendo games. Now I can't fathom a world in which at least Donkey Kong 64 doesn't make the cut (I originally had it in place of Mario Party 3, but decided to change last minute to prove the point) and there will for sure be some 3rd party games (Bomberman 64, Castlevania 64, Quest 64, Harvest Moon 64, etc) but it can be done without Rare.

Yeah it can be done but it really wouldn't feel the same, would it? It would feel like a crucial piece is missing....

Oct 25, 2017
GBA could definitely be accomplished on the switch online

N64 would probably need to be it's own thing because of the controls

Trying to play N64 VC games on my Wii U that require precision c button presses is torture.

Jan 29, 2018

1) Super Mario 64
2) Mario Party 2
3) Mario Tennis 64
4) Mario Golf 64
5) Paper Mario
6) Mario Kart 64
7) Zelda Ocarina of Time
8) Zelda Majora's Mask
9) Super Smash Bros
10) Star Fox 64
11) Pokemon Snap
13) Wave Race 64
14) Sin & Punishment
15) Yoshi's Story
16) Excitebike 64
18) Pilotwings 64
19) F-Zero X
20) Mario Party 3

That's actually a pretty solid list. Hack it to put Buck Bumble on there and you're solid.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't the current pandemic have a strong effect on hardware production? I don't think it's a good idea for Nintendo.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah it can be done but it really wouldn't feel the same, would it? It would feel like a crucial piece is missing....

I agree, it was more "it can be done" not "it should be done". It also feels weird to not have a star wars game or any first person shooter but I have a feeling those will never happen officially.

That's actually a pretty solid list. Hack it to put Buck Bumble on there and you're solid.

Hopefully a hypothetical N64 classic would be easy to hack and add more games to like the NES and SNES classics were.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would want an N64 Classic so I could give it as a gift and my brothers could stop being made at me for taking mine away when I moved out :)

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
But why not play these on Switch? It would be portable, and the library wouldn't be fixed. And it wouldn't take up an additional controller port or require additional controllers/power adapter.

And maybe they could release a new N64 replica controller so we can have proper analog movement.. someone explain why you'd prefer a mini console instead?

Yeah, I'd be happy with them on Switch as well. I just think the mini consoles are cool. For me, it's nostalgia. And they are relatively cheap, so I'm all in.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should release a Classic shop on the Switch and put N64 and GBA games there.
One and fucking done. No one needs more plastic crap in their house, least of all during a pandemic when retail is withering and dying. It's not too late Nintendo, revert to the Eshop formula for virtual Console!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
With the cost of the controller and the sliding scale of games provided for the NES and SNES classics, the N64 classic would probably be at least $100 for only like 10 games.

Which could probably work since the N64 library is way smaller and you could probably get a good slice of the console with 10 games. They could even make a lot of money selling those extra controllers for 4 player gaming.

1. Super Mario 64
2. One Mario Party
3. Mario Kart
4. Pilotwings 64
5. Starfox 64
6. Zelda Ocarina of Time
7. Super Smash Bros
8. Paper Mario
9. F-Zero X
10.Kirby 64

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
even in the worst case scenario where Nintendo can't get any Rare games on the N64 Classic (other than DK64), I can still think around 30 games they could get for it.. and they probably won't hit that number regardless (more around 20, I suppose). Most of them were realesed on Wii and Wii U anyway, so I guess they wouldn't have any licensing issue
N64.png

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
N64 would only be worth doing if they can get MS/Rare's permission to put Rare games on the consoles. Otherwise, you're just missing like half the good games on the system, lol.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Was thinking the other day, Nintendo hasn't added any SNES or NES games to the online app in aaages. Honestly with all the stuff going on/being addicted to Animal Crossing I actually kinda forgot about it. Going away from monthly updates to "whenever we feel like it, which is never" really killed the hype (good or bad kind).

Still waiting for that DKC month where they add all of them.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy an N64 Classic. Super Mario 64 and Bomberman 64 that may not have been a timeless classic but that was a riot with friends alone would justify the purchase pretty much.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i literally said it would have banjo and Goldeneye on it :)
Why not go for the more realistic pick of Perfect Dark? Goldeneye is tied up in licensing hell.
its a great time. if an N64 classic was £80 it would be a great alternative to a series x or ps5 which will be closer to £500
The price isn't the issue, it's the availability.

With COVID wreaking all kinds of havoc on manufacturing and supply, you'd probably be looking at availability on-par with the original production run of the NES classic at the absolute best

VC is already on Switch in the form of Nintendo online NES/SNES apps. If you want the expanded 3rd party catalog, the third parties seem to prefer re-releasing it themselves as standalone collections. SNK just recently released individual games onto the eshop with save states and an option to play with upgraded or original NES graphics.

Come on, you don't want me to post that list of VC-games they had on Wii and WiiU. The whole catalogue should have been brought to Switch online day 1.
The number of games (and even only NES and SNES) they put on the Switch via the apps, is laughable small.

I don't get at all what Nintendo's plan is with Switch Online and have given up long ago.
Actually I think that Nintendo themselves don't know what their plan is, except to milk Switch as long as possible with those like 10 mega sellers they have.