• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's some series that deserve to get a 3D game, even if it's just a one off. Kirby, Yoshi. DK deserves another shot.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong 64 2 you cowards

Get Kirkhope back on board and we're golden. He put together some amazing stuff for that Rabbids game:

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
A 3D Kirby would be pretty cool in my opinion. I'm personally bored of all the 2D games so a 3D platform version would be right up my alley

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, Nintendo already has Mario hence having the 3rd platform fans on board. Other 3rd parties should capitalize on it.
In my opinion Nintendo should diversify their output, prior to Xenoblade they struggled with JRPGS, now they have a cherished series with a growing fanbase.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Is there anyone at EPD that can make a 3D platformer outside of the 3D Mario team? I don't see the 3D Mario team working on Donkey Kong or Yoshi when Mario is around, but could we see someone else make them?

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arlo's latest video got me thinking. Is there anyone at EPD that can make a 3D platformer outside of the 3D Mario team? I don't see the 3D Mario team working on Donkey Kong or Yoshi when Mario is around, but could we see someone else make them?
It's not easy to answer this. Could we see the Mario Kart team making ARMS? You never know what these producers and directors are capable of. There's tons of talent at EPD.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I really dunno how you take DK or Kirby and make an interesting 3D platformer that isn't a collect-a-thon or "Basically a 2-D style level but 3D" like Mario 3D Land/World.

An open world/jungle/something DK game would be Sweet if he has cool traversal options, but I feel like that probably would hit a budget ceiling Nintendo would have a hard time justifying. I dunno. I just feel like they aren't interested in Kirby/DK versions of 3DWorld/Odyssey. Even if a lot of people would buy them.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo and Sony both. Their last 3d platformers are Odyssey and Ratchet remake respectively and there's no guarantee that we'll get more in the future. At least we have a potential Odyssey 2 but genre is dying except that. Yeah a genre that is perfectly in demand is dying.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think the issue with this video is that he overlooks what "Nintendo" is. The Yoshi games for example have been mostly outsourced. I can't see them pushing a 3d transition to a completely external developer like that. HAL has experimented with 3d Kirby for years, but apparently never managed to put together something good enough. We have pictures of 3d prototypes going back to the Gamecube game.

Of course, they have the 3d Mario team, but they're making 3d Mario games.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
the rapidly intensifying 3D Land vs 3D World war on this forum is so fucking funny to me

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue with this video is that he overlooks what "Nintendo" is. The Yoshi games for example have been mostly outsourced. I can't see them pushing a 3d transition to a completely external developer like that. HAL has experimented with 3d Kirby for years, but apparently never managed to put together something good enough.

Of course, they have the 3d Mario team, but they're making 3d Mario games.
They make for one system now. The point is the 3D Mario team doesn't have to make 2 3D Mario games for one system. HAL doesn't have to make 3-4 2D Kirby games for Switch. They can figure out how to get other series to 3D on Switch

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I want more platformers in general. I was happy to see Yooka-Laylee finally find its footing with the latest title, and of course, there's the masterful Astro Bot. I'd take all the Mario ports in the world while waiting on the next mainline title.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
3d Land and World were both great, but I also want more 3d platformers.

Also I didn't realize there was such a divide between 3d Land and World fans. Don't think I liked either more than the other, aside from liking World's Map system more then just the straight path.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong should do whatever the opposite style is to the 3D Mario of the time, so right now he should be filling a 3D world void with more stages that follow the dynamic and visually lush stylings of TF, but in 3D, give me them crumbling set pieces with full control in a 3D space dammit.

Or Mirror's Edge with apes.

Look just give me something Ninty.

Oct 25, 2017
DK is begging for a new 3D game. Tropical Freeze just teases me with those backgrounds. I want to explore all that.

And Kirby, idk why they keep scrapping those. I've been waiting for a 3D Kirby since 64. There's a ton of potential there.

Jan 11, 2018
Was having a great time watching the video until he started pretending he knew stuff about game design.

Nintendo absolutely should make more 3D Platformers though. Kirby, Yoshi, and DK I'm looking at you.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting over 3D World vs 3D Land is like fighting over a delicious sandwich and another delicious sandwich. Just eat your damn sandwiches, they're both good.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How many is enough, though? Nintendo has franchises that appeal to a wider group than just platformer fans.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I really dunno how you take DK or Kirby and make an interesting 3D platformer that isn't a collect-a-thon or "Basically a 2-D style level but 3D" like Mario 3D Land/World.

An open world/jungle/something DK game would be Sweet if he has cool traversal options, but I feel like that probably would hit a budget ceiling Nintendo would have a hard time justifying. I dunno. I just feel like they aren't interested in Kirby/DK versions of 3DWorld/Odyssey. Even if a lot of people would buy them.
I'll take a subpar collect-a-thon over another tired and tried full price 2D platformer.

I pay full price for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and thought it was a fantastic waste of money, and bought a Hat in Time on sale and I had an utter blast with it.

Jan 11, 2018
3D Land is like, the New Super Mario Bros. of 3D Mario.

3D World is like the Super Mario Bros. 3 of 3D Mario.

Also Ratchet and Clank is barely a platformer. It's much more focused on shooting. Splatoon singleplayer is more of a platformer than R&C.

Also 2D Kirby is only boring when it's traditional Kirby. Stuff like Mass Attack and Epic Yarn are great. It's a shame the last experimental Kirby game was Rainbow Curse. Like what... Five years ago?

Also it's a shame the Mario and Zelda teams will never stop making Mario and Zelda. EPD Tokyo could easily inject some life into Yoshi, Kirby, or DK. Or make a brand new platformer.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I have trouble figuring out what a good 3D Kirby Platformer would play like. It probably wouldn't be a platformer primarily because Kirby games are more combat focused than jumping/movement focused. I can tell that HAL was experimenting with the idea on 3DS though.

Kirby, but it looks like Super Mario 3D Land, and not as good:

Kirby, but it looks like The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and not as good:

I don't know, folks. I think they should just bring Kirby Air Ride back.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I agree.

But the thing is if Nintendo has a good idea for X they just put it in the game that already does it sooo they will prob just never decide to do this.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif