• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
In my 25 years of playing video games on consoles, I have never played a game that was such an incomplete, broken, borderline unfunctional mess than Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise. I have been playing it for 6 hours today and came to the conclusion very quick it is in an unreleasable state and should be pulled from online and physical retailers. Ignoring all the artistic and design choices such as graphics, soundtrack, story, voice acting, quest design, structure and just focusing on raw function and playability, Deadly Premonition 2 is an unmitigated technical disaster.

The thing I am sure everyone has seen by now is the appalling framerate. It is much worse than that IGN gameplay video they released a week before release. There is not a single point in the open world where the framerate is at 30 fps. Even looking at the ground the game runs like an N64 game and that is at its best. 90% of the time it is running between 10 to 15 frames a second going through an environment that looks like a $2 Unity asset flip Steam release. This isn't Doom (2016) or Breath of the Wild where the less than stellar framerate could be somewhat excused by how good the game looks. It reminds of me of those YouTube videos of people getting Doom 3 or Crysis running on super old hardware where the game looks like garbage and runs like garbage but it was cool to see it running on a PC from 1998. Deadly Premonition 2 is not running a PC from 1998 or a Raspberry Pi, it's full price physical release running on current hardware from a major platform holder.

maxresdefault.jpg

What most people haven't seen is the game-breaking bugs, freezes and crashes Deadly Premonition 2 has in droves. I've been playing Switch games since shortly after its release and I have never seen the 'This game crashed. Would you like to send a bug report?' screen once in three years but I have seen it four times in 6 hours with Deadly Premonition 2. That's ignoring the game freezing which has happened twice or the time the game refused any input, both of which required a software restart. These are only examples of bugs that required restarts. It does not include multiple questlines becoming incompletable which required reloading older saves or getting stuck underneath the world.

To those who say 'Deadly Premonition is supposed to be a little bit broken. It is part of the charm' I would say that I agree with them. Stuff like NPCs sliding out of frame during cutscenes or horrifying facial animation or bizarre music choices, all of which Deadly Premonition 2 has in droves. However Deadly Premonition 1 also had a stable framerate, little to no crashes and functional questlines. It had those small janky blemishes that added charm. These problems are not small issues, they are core fundamental functionality that does not work.

Maybe this is my fault for buying it in the first place. I saw that IGN video before release and I knew the reputation of SWERY who has a less than perfect track record and still bought it away. But I still had in the back of my mind that it's going to be a bit janky and framey but it will still function. But I was wrong and at this point, the blame should not be on the consumer but the people who allowed such a mess to be released in the first place.

Edit: I am aware that Nintendo did not publish it but they are the platform holder which means it goes through a certification process. When a game is this unfunctional at what point does the platform holder step in and say 'We will not be releasing this product on our platform until it is fixed'.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blame the publisher or the developer but not the platformholder.
Their job is to make shure that it at somewhat runs and nothing more

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe this is might fault for buying it in the first place. I saw that IGN video before release and I knew the reputation of SWERY who has a less than perfect track record and still bought it away. But I still had in the back of my mind that it's going to be a bit janky and framey but it will still function.

Exactly, I'm the same OP. I've seen some people try to use the pre-release IGN video as sort of awareness that people like you or I only really have ourselves to blame for watching that, buying the game, and getting exactly what it showed. But, like you, I just truly expected it wouldn't be that bad.

I've stopped playing it for the time being, at least until the first patch.

Sep 29, 2019
It's not Nintendo's fault directly lol. Of course, i agree it's bad and they should've asked for the developers to have fixed the frame issues, but it isn't really their fault. It was a game beloved by a lot of people back in the Wii era, hence the heavy marketing on their social media etc. But surely it's the developer's fault they allowed all this to pass months and months of development without really putting thought or fixing it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Platform-holders may have to lend approval about games released on their platform, but it's more about minutiae than quality standards. That button inputs or messaging is consistent, but nothing about "framerate must be ____"

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No one is forcing you to buy a subpar product.
No plattform holder can force a dev to reach specific performance targets.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
Yeah, because it's been distributed by Nintend... no, it isn't. Still, why do people buy things before read the reviews?

christ0phe

May 9, 2018
The Nintendo protectors are already out in force. Yes, Nintendo didn't develop this, but I agree they should hold games released on their platform to a higher bar of technical quality. This game released this way because it is allowed. Why would you put in the extra time and effort to optimize when you can just drop your game in the store?

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is going on here.

Even if Nintendo did step in, I'm not sure if they would know how to handle this title.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
imagine their prestige game Link's Awakening still has wonky framerate and they never bothered to fix it or demand Grezzo to fix it.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People dismissing this already is exactly the reason why we have hentai and flip assets games on the eShop.

You think you're clever, but you're part of the problem.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you put in the extra time and effort to optimize when you can just drop your game in the store?
Because you want people to buy your game? Even the fanbase of Deadly Preminition - who is used to shoddy tech and almost amateurish game design choices - has been largely alienated by the severe tech issues.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a game that shouldn't have been considered "finished" by the developer, the publisher, nor it should have passed certification. A real-time game that runs at 6FPS a lot of the time can simply not be acceptable, nor the quality of the rest can offset such a huge issue. It's like a Ferrari that only does 10kph. Sure a lot of the other aspects are neat, but if it can't run decently what's the point?

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
This is like when one those school kids thinks every game on a Nintendo system is developed and/or distributed by Nintendo themselves.

I always remember this one kid who was telling me how the Crash Bandicoot game on the Gamecube that Nintendo made wasn't that good and I was like 'bro, they're nothing to do with that game'.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Weird take, why don't you hold the devs and publisher who made the game accountable?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This is quite silly if you actually look at what games Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony allow on their platforms.

The Switch is FULL of barely functioning Mobile ports - just a few weeks ago they removed a mobile port from their Switch Store because it literally stole music from Ocarina of Time. They only realized this after it was pointed out by users on Social Media. There's the infamous "Life of Black Tiger" game on PS4, there's Afro Samurai 2 and countless others.

The only reason you think this is an exception is because you normally don't even realize these games exist. This one is merely a little more high profile.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
What I think is a lot more hilarious is that Nintendo likely paid money for (timed) exclusivity on this game. Imagine paying for exlcusivity rights and then the game barely even runs on your platform.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What I think is a lot more hilarious is that Nintendo likely paid money for (timed) exclusivity on this game. Imagine paying for exlcusivity rights and then the game barely even runs on your platform.

At least the game is apparently good outside of the tech issues. Nintendo paid for exclusivity on Sonic Boom not too long ago!

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't say it's Nintendo's fault, they didn't make the game.

It's like blaming Sony for the PS3 port of Skyrim (which infamously dropped to 0fps sometimes).

It's an interesting discussion if platform holders should mandate performance for games, with no easy solution I feel.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The Nintendo protectors are already out in force. Yes, Nintendo didn't develop this, but I agree they should hold games released on their platform to a higher bar of technical quality. This game released this way because it is allowed. Why would you put in the extra time and effort to optimize when you can just drop your game in the store?
OK so now people stating facts are Nintendo protectors. No store / platform has an kind of quality curation.

christ0phe

May 9, 2018
Because you want people to buy your game? Even the fanbase of Deadly Preminition - who is used to shoddy tech and almost amateurish game design choices - has been largely alienated by the severe tech issues.

This is part of my point. People are buying it on switch regardless. So there is no compelling reason for them to put in extra time to optimize the game. So if the platform holder doesn't hold them to standards, it seems like they won't themselves.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
On some level this is happening to pretty much with every game nowadays - how many big games are even playable without a massive day 1 patch or run subpar on base consoles ?

Game series like EDF wouldnt even exist if this was something plattform holder actually could enforce.

Its not like they paid millions for it - they got a bit of promotion via Directs and social media but thats it. The game wouldnt have set the world on fire on any system but releasing first on Switch was probably feasible for them - even though the performance is lacking quite a bit.
This is part of my point. People are buying it on switch regardless. So there is no compelling reason for them to put in extra time to optimize the game. So if the platform holder doesn't hold them to standards, it seems like they won't themselves.
I think more people would have bought it if this game was performing better.
Do you have any access to data that suggest that as many people are buying it even though they arent happy with the performance ?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol let's blame Nintendo for a game they didn't make but allowed on their store By your logic that means it's ok to Harras Nintendo for promoting incest because they allow fans to run around with avatars like yours.

The Sony protectors are already out in force. Yes, Sony didn't develop this, but I agree they should hold games released on their platform to a higher bar of technical quality. This game released this way because it is allowed. Why would you put in the extra time and effort to optimize when you can just drop your game in the store?

LMAO all the way home, y'all are too much

christ0phe

May 9, 2018
OK so now people stating facts are Nintendo protectors. No store / platform has an kind of quality curation.

Lol. Yes. They don't have quality curation. That's what led to OP posting in the first place. Just because quality curation doesn't exist from platform holders doesn't mean we can lament the lack of quality and ask for paid games to be held to a higher standard.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Sonic Boom and Devil's Third show that Nintendo has a sick fetish for this lol

christ0phe

May 9, 2018

The Sony protectors are already out in force. Yes, Sony didn't develop this, but I agree they should hold games released on their platform to a higher bar of technical quality. This game released this way because it is allowed. Why would you put in the extra time and effort to optimize when you can just drop your game in the store?

LMAO all the way home, y'all are too much

100%. This is inexcusable. But this is a thread about a version of a game on Switch.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it really Nintendo's fault?

Also you have to read reviews man, I don't like a poor framerate and any review of this game would tell me it's not going to be something I can deal with

You don't need to spend 40-60 quid and 6 hours of playtime to find out it runs like shite

The whole game screams "wait for a patch"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm enjoying the game immensely. I'm fortunate that I'm able to very quickly adjust to framerate issues and the crashes and bugs aren't that much more severe than plenty of other games on the platform (actually Pillars of Eternity on Switch is much, much worse in that regard).

I'd be pissed if they pulled the game because I wouldn't have been about to enjoy it this past week.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol
nintendo is not responsible for this.

also i played and beat the game after 25 hours, and had a lot of fun with it. it is by no means broken or unplayable.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I thought the framerate, freezing and bugs were intentional by the dev and all part of the 'charm'. :-)

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Lol. Yes. They don't have quality curation. That's what led to OP posting in the first place. Just because quality curation doesn't exist from platform holders doesn't mean we can lament the lack of quality and ask for paid games to be held to a higher standard.
Why ashame Nintendo and not the publisher and developer though? The only issue with Nintendo in this case is they don't allow refunds although some times when the game has serious issues they do, like they did with Overwatch.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't think is Nintendo's work to check that the games are well optimized, this post makes no sense.

Game has been published by Rising Star games, they should have give the Swery team more time and money, this has nothing to do with Nintendo. One thing is to filter games with problematic content, but bad games are not something any platform holder should be worried about.

I mean, the same way Sony has nothing to do with Life of Black Tiger or Valve has nothing to do with the endless shovelware games released on steam every week.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Arc of Alchemist probably runs worse, and doesn't have Swery's charming writing to fall back on.

That was literally the first moments of the game and things only get worse from there.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lmao am not mad about it at all, in fact, i was 100% sure it was gonna be like this. Theres a certain charm for the game to be a broken mess.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not their job. no platform holder checks the performance of the games that are published on their platform. valve, MS, sony or nintendo. as long as it runs and doesn't brick the console (and has an ESRB rating), they don't care.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The Switch is FULL of barely functioning Mobile ports - just a few weeks ago they removed a mobile port from their Switch Store because it literally stole music from Ocarina of Time. They only realized this after it was pointed out by users on Social Media. There's the infamous "Life of Black Tiger" game on PS4, there's Afro Samurai 2 and countless others.
I don't know how they curate their shovelware, but NIntendo gotta overhaul some leftovers from the Wii U era even today. The amount of trash on the eShop is staggering.

But Deadly Premonition 2 is not Shovelware. It's supposed to run at 5fps. I think perhaps giving people DP Origins first game the wrong expectations? The Director's Cut which is what most played I believe, was on PS3 and also ran like absolute dogshit outside in the town. When I played the pc port in butter-smooth 60fps something truly felt amiss.