• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo are completely in the right for this and leaks can cost a lot of money and hard work.

Surprised so many are seeing it the other way in here.
Part of it is down to the culture of all corporations being bad that people propagate, forgetting people work in them and get reprecussions of it.

I mean hell, Jason Schreier pushed the exact same narrative the other day

Terra

May 15, 2019
There's always gonna be a disgruntled employee or an employee who wanna share his/her excitement via a leak. Either way it's pretty selfish lmao

Only way to stop it is to do test the employees by fake leaks and see whose dumb enough to actually share the fake info.
That is also true, I am not really even pro leaker per say. I just think that with the industry the way it is, they are a fact of life that people are just going to have to deal with, pro or anti. They are a problem of corporate creation and it probably only be solved by systemic corporate changes.

Heck, if we gamers want to take on some personal responsibility, they could also not freak out so much about delays and dev changes and just frankly be more understanding about how the damn process works haha.

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
I mean, sure, it's always a question of how you get your informations and how the the US law is in that regard, but this seems just odd to me if there's no NDA.

Maybe sharing company secrets second hand, while knowing they are company secrets is illegal? Not a lawyer but that would make sense to me.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think we're going to agree here, the problem is all the secretism in the first place, as far as I'm concerned. Who is mandating the secretism? The company with the big bags of money that wants to market their games as they please (iregardless to the Devs), or cancel them without being known that they were working on them in the first place.
Another thing that seems be common to these stories are that the leaker is usually someone unsatisfied with the company. And we all know to an extent how badly some of this companies are ran.

Imo, the more we know, and the earlier we know it, the more we as the public can keep this companies on check.
Keep the companies in check? Do you hear yourself?

Companies aren't evil people we need to make sure are doing things as we see fit. In this industry they're companies made up of passionate people who put their heart and soul into things who then suffer the reprecussions when people wanting Twitter clout spoil it.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain to me the value in leaking things moments before the actual events take place? Seems utterly pointless to me.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
That is also true, I am not really even pro leaker per say. I just think that with the industry the way it is, they are a fact of life that people are just going to have to deal with, pro or anti. They are a problem of corporate creation and it probably only be solved by systemic corporate changes.

Heck, if we gamers want to take on some personal responsibility, they could also not freak out so much about delays and dev changes and just frankly be more understanding about how the damn process works haha.

Welcome to the site, by the way.

You need some kinda avatar and you should post more. Era doesn't bite. Wellllllll.... most of us doesn't bite.

Just sayin'. Lol

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There are things called patents, trademarks, copyright, professional secrecy ...

Industrial espionage exists. Companies would be the first to kill to see what ideas work the rest. in a capitalist system transparency is impossible

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Keep the companies in check? Do you hear yourself?

Companies aren't evil people we need to make sure are doing things as we see fit. In this industry they're companies made up of passionate people who put their heart and soul into things who then suffer the reprecussions when people wanting Twitter clout spoil it.
I guess I can't see how someone on twitter saying that they'll show Mario 22 ruins anyone's passionate work

Terra

May 15, 2019
Welcome to the site, by the way.

You need some kinda avatar and you should post more. Era doesn't bite. Wellllllll.... most of us doesn't bite.

Just sayin'. Lol
I've lurked without an accout for a long time haha, its a fun place, i like it here. Its all in good fun for the most part.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Can someone explain to me the value in leaking things moments before the actual events take place? Seems utterly pointless to me.

They're taking down the system, man!

"Consumers of the land unite! You have nothing to lose but the chains of knowing about a video game slightly later than you wanted to know about it!"
- Karl Marx

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
The threads are always full of delusional people. The devs are almost never in charge of marketing a game. Publishers and marketing are the ones that hype tiny things into something that is worthy of leaking. They don't want leaks but only so they can control what you want from a game.

You people are OBSESSED with a value that not everyone cares about. How can you think that an initial reveal is worthy or so much

Mediking

What a brave and honourable soul. Sticking it to the corporations and looking out for the little guy. He's like a modern day Robin Hood or something.

She is blatantly internet fame hunting but she's still not capitalizing it the right way.

IF I WAS HER....

I'd be like, "hey guys... check out my own art/music/stories" I'd start plugging my own material for the leaks. Lmao

Plum

May 31, 2018
The threads are always full of delusional people. The devs are almost never in charge of marketing a game. Publishers and marketing are the ones that hype tiny things into something that is worthy of leaking. They don't want leaks but only so they can control what you want from a game.

You people are OBSESSED with a value that not everyone cares about. How can you think that an initial reveal is worthy or so much
Please read this thread before you continue to call people "delusional." Or, hell, admit that you think the many Verified (and un-verified) developers in that thread are "delusional," in your eyes.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Hahahah you was lurking, huh? Was this leak fiasco the breaking point for you?
it was the first thread i thought i had something to say. I mostly just signed up when i did because i really wanted to do the 52 games in one year challenge, and finally got around to writing down everything.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe your not delusional, in that case it should be easy to address my arguments rather than point me to a thread with a Mario pissing meme on the first page.
Read the damned thread. It's filled with game developers sharing what actually happens within companies when leaks happen

Mediking

How can you think that an initial reveal is worthy or so much

I'm not even gonna die on this hill but lemme just say that FIRST IMPRESSIONS MATTER ALOT. And sometimes a leak can make a project sound super dumb and put a poor taste in people's minds before they even see it for themselves. Backpedaling from a bad first impression is hard.... especially in dating.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
By the way I just want to point out that she tells people she's gonna leak by pm on discord yet publicly has her discord join link on twitter...... I'm convinced this is a ruse. Nobody could actually be that stupid surely. Private messages aren't so private on social media and people can leak her info under pretend personalities.

Terra

May 15, 2019
There are things called patents, trademarks, copyright, professional secrecy ...

Industrial espionage exists. Companies would be the first to kill to see what ideas work the rest. in a capitalist system transparency is impossible

I suppose the real tea is that capitalism just kinda sucks haha. Though thats probably far too heavy to bring into this leak disscusion

Mediking

it was the first thread i thought i had something to say. I mostly just signed up when i did because i really wanted to do the 52 games in one year challenge, and finally got around to writing down everything.

Tryna see which avatar you like, huh? You went from a card avatar to something different....

Muahahahahahahahahah!!! I SEE ALL

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why are you more interested in doing this, whatever this is, rather than either, moving on with your day or adding to the discussion.

How am I supposed to parse that thread for info.

You called people delusional.

I gave a counter-example and you immediately threw it away because you're too lazy to scroll down and see the DICE developer literally a few posts away from the "Pissing Mario" meme that offended your sensibilities. I'm not doing the job of reading the thread for you lol, especially when so many of the devs that posted there are Verified and therefore have easily-recognisable blue tags.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Generalizations and Trolling Over Multiple Posts in this Thread; Previous infractions for Trolling and Hostility + Account in Junior phase.

I'm not even gonna die on this hill but lemme just say that FIRST IMPRESSIONS MATTER ALOT. And sometimes a leak can make a project sound super dumb and put a poor taste in people's minds before they even see it for themselves. Backpedaling from a bad first impression is hard.... especially in dating.

First impression don't mean shit to me. I need to know way more about something before I begin to like it and the whims of a marketing team or even straight up the director/developer/auteur are not going to sway me in any direction that matters to me. I get why someone would value the first impression but they share the same values of a 5-year-old who is amazed by any piece of marketing so sorry if I don't appreciate you deciding what my values are.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
You called people delusional.

I gave a counter-example and you immediately threw it away because you're too lazy to scroll down and see the DICE developer literally a few posts away from the "Pissing Mario" meme that offended your sensibilities. I'm not doing the job of reading the thread for you lol, especially when so many of the devs that posted there are Verified and therefore have easily-recognisable blue tags.
Guy, you aren't interested in talking, so move on. Why do you think you could compel me to make your argument for you? I'll be as generous to your point as to further any discussion but I won't look for your arguments for you.

Mediking

I get why someone would value the first impression but they share the same values of a 5-year-old who is amazed by any piece of marketing so sorry if I don't appreciate you deciding what my values are.

Hahahahahah I loooovveeee this. So much sass and edge. I'm not even annoyed by the 5 year old jab. I'm actually smiling. This is kinda fun.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Internet fame.

Instant gratification.

This, and clicks if you work for a gaming website. Leaks bring TONS of clicks. Other than those though, it really isn't any point. Leaking some video game announcement a little bit before its broadcast to the world doesn't really have much if any value at all. I like a good natured crusade as much as the next guy, But I just can't get with the "Yeah, we are fighting the good fight to make the world a better place by telling you about Mario Kart 10 a day ahead of time! Take THAT billion dollar corporations! The machine can't control me!".

It's just too ridiculous.