• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because people like to make mountains out of molehills.

Have you seriously not learned anything from what people have talked to you? You literally had the head of Halo reply to your post and you still don't understand why this is a big deal.

I don't even know why you're still posting here. It's like talking to a wall.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Given that they were able to leak accurate info from multiple publishers and across multiple conferences they may have had access to a general E3 press site which Nintendo is part of as well. It wouldn't have been hard to figure out who they were if so.

btw on the first page there are two posts marked as #49.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Well there has to be some risk, that's the thrill of spoiling an entire presentation for everyone.

If someone had leaked keanu, I would have been robbed one of the purest surprises of e3 so far, took me back to the good old days.

Also why do people hate surprises?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will make other leakers more hesitant? Or maybe this leakers means of attaining information was just straight up risky
Probably not, but it should be seen as a lesson to all to not act so recklessly with confidential information. I think that's the biggest thing many don't seem to understand, that they have highly confidential information, trade secrets, that can have serious ramifications on the leaker, the source, and even the company. And why more veteran and experienced leakers have to tread around sensitive information and still be understandable to what game may be coming, and what it's about, etc., to keep themselves, and their source safe.

In recent years I've been seeing so many get fed up with the vagueness of plenty of leaks, wanting leakers to just spit out what they have, not realizing that this situation Sabi is in is exactly where that leads to. And plenty will even put more stock into a person who just comes out and says "this and this and this is coming" when it could be entirely wrong (it very often is), and put the more veteran leakers on blast if it contradicts. I saw it happen with Smash with Imran, and others, and I still see this type of stuff every so often.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
So if they can send out these c&ds prematurely before anything has even been said why aren't publishers sending them out to kotaku before jschrier spills the beans every time?

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So if they can send out these c&ds prematurely before anything has even been said why aren't publishers sending them out to kotaku before jschrier spills the beans every time?
Kotaku is an actual company with actual lawyers that could combat something like this. Not to mention the PR implications of trying to shut down journalism.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Because they know jschrier isn't some rando who'll back off on a C&D with no legal basis.

Or alternatively, they do, JS keeps going anyway, the company "considers all legal action" as said in the letter, and determines there isn't any viable legal action to take.

You don't break a law if you ignore a C&D unless the C&D actually was about something illegal.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
I think it's fine similar to how Kotaku's Jason Schrier mentioned that you shouldn't let these events stop you from being allowed spoilers just because they spend millions of dollars on marketing. If you really want to be leak-free, just go dark for the next few days.
there is literally no reason to leak a soon to shown presentation other than being a attention craving douchbag wanting e-points...

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Clearly some people don't like them, so maybe they shouldn't post them here. If they want to find them go to Twitter or some other place.

I come here for all gaming news. All. Gaming. News. I don't need to go anywhere else, and I don't want to.

If leaks were banned here, my engagement would drop considerably.

Leaks and rumours have always been around, and can be hugely exciting. As much of more so than official reveals. Not that I think everything should leak, just that they add a bit of unpredictability into the mix.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People defending "leakers" as if they were legitimate workers doing honest jobs are quite amazing. You do realize you're basically idolizing paparazzi?

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I will give credit to Sabi for one thing: they actually shared what they knew, without trying to be overly cryptic and making everything a stupid riddle for people to solve. It was nice to just see her straight up saying what was gonna be announced instead of being vague on purpose to try and save their ass when it ended up being false.

For weirdos like me who pay attention to leaks, that was refreshing. It's a shame what she was leaking was inconsequential because it would have been officially announced within 24 hours anyway. Oh well.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Leaks and rumours have always been around, and can be hugely exciting. As much of more so than official reveals. Not that I think everything should leak, just that they add a bit of unpredictability into the mix.
Rumors are great. They're fun and hype-building, and they preserve the surprise and uncertainty because rumors are rumors - on a base level, they're no different from guesses.

Leaks, whether it's actual material or someone fabricating material to "prove" a leak, are much worse. Either they spoil the surprise - if the material is undeniably legitimate or comes from a "proven leaker" - or they build false hype that ends in disappointment because a hyped thing was not shown even though "it should have been".

Effectively, it's the same deal as spoilers. Guessing on what will happen is great fun, because even a correct guess is just a guess. A spoiler only becomes a spoiler when it's labeled as such, and the person providing it claims its legitimacy regardless of whether or not it's true. Then it becomes an issue.

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
I will give credit to Sabi for one thing: they actually shared what they knew, without trying to be overly cryptic and making everything a stupid riddle for people to solve. It was nice to just see her straight up saying what was gonna be announced instead of being vague on purpose to try and save their ass when it ended up being false.

For weirdos like me who pay attention to leaks, that was refreshing. It's a shame what she was leaking was inconsequential because it would have been officially announced within 24 hours anyway. Oh well.

Leaking is scummy, cryptic or not.

Would be funny if this twitter hero made up the cease and desist because they dont know anything though.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Well if you were an insider with half decent common sense, you wouldn't set your sights on leaking Nintendo's secrets. A company infamous for shutting down fan projects/games, so I couldn't possibly imagine how Nintendo would react to someone leaking their E3 this year.
Also posting the lawyer's info, bold strategy there why the fuck would you do that.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Why do we have all of these people coming out of the wood work acting like all marketing is suddenly pure performance art and we should never question or spoil any of it?

To hell with that, marketing exists for no other reason than to emotionally and psychologically manipulate people into spending money. Let it leak, let everything leak, maybe then people will be better able to make informed and rational decisions.
this is the most stupid ass disconnect from reality post I have read the in the whole month. m8, I think that tinfoil hat is a little to tight. your are not thinking properly.

>Guys!, Marketing is evil, all you are just Wooloo, wake up!!!
seriously?

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about sabi but people here not mentioning the insiders on this site doing the same thing when the namco site shit the bed

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who joined recently but lurked for a while it's actually a bit surreal to see people here go from idolizing leakers, imploring for hints of a new direct and pumping 100 page threads whenever king zell farted, then name calling every insider that suggested Metroid Prime Trilogy was a thing at TGAs, to now suddenly hating leaks because they ruin surprises. I didn't see anyone rage when zell and Emily disclosed stuff. Weird.
Agree with this sentiment. Also the blind faith in people that masquerade as leakers but aren't, actually, just regurgitate stuff from elsewhere.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Complaining about sabi but people here not mentioning the insiders on this site doing the same thing when the namco site shit the bed
I think the difference is this. You're comparing

Someone who leaked literally every announcement from every E3 presentation which would not be legally available to the general public

with

People noticing Bandai Namco had uploaded something to their site which was publicly available.

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
I think the difference is this. You're comparing

Someone who leaked literally every announcement from every E3 presentation which would not be legally available to the general public

with

People noticing Bandai Namco had uploaded something to their site which was publicly available.

Yeah the difference is looking for hints in a harmless manner vs leaking company secrets for personal internet fame.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What legal basis is there for that?
As far as I know it really only pertains to government stuff and selling leaks for profit.
There are many elements which are illegal when it comes to the business world. That's why things like insider trading are illegal.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
We need info on if she had any legal restrictions or not. Namely a NDA, employment matters, or any nefarious means. If it was just info from a third party... I have no idea how you enforce it. Nintendo would have to go after the person under an NDA that gave out info. Not even trying to justify any of this. It is what it is.

It's paparazzi-tier silliness, but that's still legal. Being a jackass to the gaming public isn't illegal. Being a general shithead and a troll about your hobby isn't illegal. Uh, you get the idea.

Nov 18, 2017
Espionage is hard in the world of social media celebrity.

But I guess if Nintendo are still pursuing a C&D those Smash predictions are thrown out... silver lining.

Terra

May 15, 2019
This whole moral fucking panic over leakers suddenly is so bizarre. Its almost like the system of complete silence in the game industry is completely unsustainable in the age of social media. But instead of just wondering why the industry continues to prop itself up on archaic sieves that constantly bleed information, we just rabble about how its those morally bankrupt individual leakers that are the real issue here.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
There are many elements which are illegal when it comes to the business world. That's why things like insider trading are illegal.
Uh okay? I know why insider trading is illegal but I was more curious about the legal basis for leaks. Insider trading is illegal because it makes the market uncompetitive not just because its business.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Check Sabi's Twitter timeline. She IS blatant Internet fame hunting. Lmao but hey. Some people care. Some people don't.

I mean tbh, i don't really care all that much about Sabi personally, they very blatantly played with fire, they got burnt. But they aren't going to be the last leaker and anyone thinking so is fooling themselves. Whether its here or twitter or 4chan, people are going to spill the beans, and when game making corporate culture is built around complete silence, its going to keep happening, its unsustainable.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They can't do shit. He's reporting information -- unless he's an insider in that he works for Nintendo, I say keep leaking homie.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No don't be obtuse. I'm saying they should be plugging the source not attacking the messenger. If the info is out it's out, attacking journalists after the fact just looks terrible. Threatening lawsuits and sending C&Ds should be the last resort, not the go to approach for dealing with anything you don't like. Note how they are the only ones doing this, just like how they are the only ones who still regularly attack emulation sites, and fan projects, with legal threats.

What good does plugging the source will do here? The leaker already knows it, they just haven't released it. Sending a C&D prevents them from tweeting what they know.