• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah. It was all done poorly and each bit on info shared narrowed things down. Flaunting when they would post Nintendo information would have made things easy for Nintendo to track. If anything, they are lucky Bamco, Square, MS, Ubisoft, and the others haven't acted yet.

Yeah. She's actually rather lucky only Nintendo has come after her. These are all multi billion dollar corporations we're talking about here.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
For those wondering how Nintendo could have gotten her information, this is a reminder that your digital fingerprints are everywhere. All it takes is a little bit of info or one screw by you or someone else for the dominoes to fall and lead directly back to you. Her own twitter bio says that he is a Nintendo leaker so any sensible company would have at least one eye on her.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Qn1nQqk.jpg

Oh lawd, they comin'

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that the letter said that communications between sabi and the firm occurred since yesterday. It wasn't a sudden show up from the ninjas I would say.

I was thinking about that too. And then you have the lawyer saying you can reach me at this .com email address when the actual email came from a .ca address.

This story is super weird...

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
What if Polarpanda/Sabi is just one of Vergeben's many personalities? Vergeben is legion after all.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Thank god. Finally Nintendo C&Ds something that actually deserved it. They were being so frickin' annoying about it all too.

People seriously don't have their priorities straight when they're hyped for a text post on Twitter about E3's contents the day before E3, instead of the actual E3 presentation. "Golly gee, I can't wait to read about all the stuff they're gonna reveal instead of experiencing the reveal like it was intended". This mindset makes absolutely zero sense. It's like being hyped to read the wikipedia page for Avengers instead of seeing the trailer.

Please, stop acting like you're victims of the oppressive gaming industry ruining everyone's lives by planning their marketing surprises on their own terms instead of yours.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that the letter said that communications between sabi and the firm occurred since yesterday. It wasn't a sudden show up from the ninjas I would say.
Probably realized they wouldn't be able to leak Nintendo's Direct so they mention this since keeping quite wouldn't be possible since they bragged about leaking early in the week?

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
There are ways to make it very difficult/almost impossible for someone to identify you if you know how and are very careful, but generally speaking, even if that person has the required knowledge, someone who has the personality of "I'm going to share this on discord and twitter in little bits. Watch me!" is not the kind of person that will have the discipline to never screw up while doing it.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Sabi is a fake leaker and this is just an excuse. If you look at their tweets it's very easy to guess where the info was coming from.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's completely possible that someone who knew her identity ratted her out to Nintendo. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Even if her other leaks were correct the timing of this is suspect.

I think it'd be smart to have a more public account do it too. Getting a DM asking for leaks from someone like Bill Trinen might drill in the point that Nintendo employees could be onto her; I'm sure they're more interested in prevention than a lawsuit.

What's this bit about?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
lol no she either hacked into the marketing server or had someone do it for her and she's the feeder

This is less 'you signed an NDA and broke it' and more 'you probably broke the law'

To be perfectly fair, this could also be a case of Nintendo exploiting someone's relative lack of legal knowledge/expertise to intimidate them into silence. It's not like Sabi's gonna be seeking legal counsel anytime soon, y'know?

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Thank god. Finally Nintendo C&Ds something that actually deserved it. They were being so frickin' annoying about it all too.

People seriously don't have their priorities straight when they're hyped for a text post on Twitter about E3's contents the day before E3, instead of the actual E3 presentation. "Golly gee, I can't wait to read about all the stuff they're gonna reveal instead of experiencing the reveal like it was intended". This mindset makes absolutely zero sense. It's like being hyped to read the wikipedia page for Avengers instead of seeing the trailer.

Please, stop acting like you're victims of the oppressive gaming industry ruining everyone's lives by planning their marketing surprises on their own terms instead of yours.
Why do we have all of these people coming out of the wood work acting like all marketing is suddenly pure performance art and we should never question or spoil any of it?

To hell with that, marketing exists for no other reason than to emotionally and psychologically manipulate people into spending money. Let it leak, let everything leak, maybe then people will be better able to make informed and rational decisions.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A civil lawsuit for breaking a contract and spreading company trade secrets has nothing to do with freedom of speech. This was almost proven in court even, when Apple sued the site "ThinkSecret" for spreading their secrets. It became obvious Apple was going to win, so the owner of the site backed down and settled, agreed to shut down the site permanently, in return for not giving up the names of his sources.

Companies tend to not sue the media because it's a huge waste of time and resources, easier just to black list them. Plus they don't generally know where the media got their information. In this case, the person is directly asking people to break their NDA's and send her information, which makes her clearly complicit in breaking their NDA and spreading trade secrets.

Never even mentioned freedom of speech, so dunno where you're going with that angle. Journalists aren't bound by NDA.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

To be fair I bet the Avengers wiki is better than the actual film.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even if her other leaks were correct the timing of this is suspect.

What's this bit about?
In a now-deleted Tweet, she invited people to DM her for leaks. They're just joking about having Nintendo employees DM her and seeing if she even notices.

Anyway, just a few hours ago she was expressing hope at contacting her source tomorrow for Nintendo leaks. But the lawyer's email mentions they talked yesterday?

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do we have all of these people coming out of the wood work acting like all marketing is suddenly pure performance art and we should never question or spoil any of it?

To hell with that, marketing exists for no other reason than to emotionally and psychologically manipulate people into spending money. Let it leak, let everything leak, maybe then people will be better able to make informed and rational decisions.

Yeah, fuck all those employees, right?

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019

yeah getting some serious /r/hailcorporate vibes from people here. Corporations are not your friends people.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine putting your job on the line (over something unimportant like marketing materials) just for someone to get an online ego boost. The mind boggles.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

*sob* Wont somebody please think of the poor corporations? What bollocks, people are free to experience news how they chose not how marketing departments choose.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the 'DM me for leaks lolz' was a bad look. I have to assume she deleted that tweet because that's going to get her into trouble.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You should read this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/game-devs-of-resetera-how-do-leaks-impact-your-work.121723/