• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Daisy was originally in a relationship with Mario though, in Super Mario World. She either dropped him because she found out she was just a sidegirl to Peach, or Mario decided that having two girlfriends at once wasn't a good idea.
don't you mean Super Mario Land? also, in that game didn't Mario just show up to rescue her and that's it?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
don't you mean Super Mario Land? also, in that game didn't Mario just show up to rescue her and that's it?
Yeah I meant Land.
th

That seems to be pretty explicit to me.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Luigi has a dog too, which is attractive. I bet he uses that for his Tinder profile picture.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Luigi is best brother. I'm not a lady, but I can still confirm that. At least he has a character.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
User banned (1 week): concern trolling over representation
I would have thought they might have liked something other than a white male lead, but I guess Nintendo fans do know what they want. After all when you keep seeing the damsel in distress over and over it just gets a bit desensitized.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I've always preferred Luigi myself, though not a woman. I also think Luigi appears and plays a role often in the quirkier Mario games, which I prefer (with Sunshine being an exception).

Luigi is dad though..

tenor.gif

Honestly, if I've learned anything from Undertale, being dead won't stop any fandom.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically, it's okay to say that there are demographic differences between sexes when it's Nintendo that says it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So basically, it's okay to say that there are demographic differences between sexes when it's Nintendo that says it.
If talking about the recent Tales of Thread, there's a difference between saying a demographic likes a clearly superior brother character, or generally just this character proves to be popular with this demographic through their research, and then saying that girls don't like fighting intimidating monsters in their JRPGs. Not only do I on a personal level have big reason to doubt that (being a huge horror enthusiast, the survival-horror scene is maybe even more female dominated than male, and those games are all about intimidating monsters in design and gameplay), but then comes back to a really bad stereotype of females in gaming only being interested in casual experiences and cute things.

The Tales of Statement can apply to a certain type of person, sure. But there's no reason that specific type of person has to be female, and in fact I know for a fact is not specifically female.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
First thing I thought of when I read the title.

If the Mario RPGs have taught me anything, it's that Luigi is a jerk. He lies to people constantly, is jealous, entitled and whiny, talks about how he could accomplish stuff if he wanted to, and bails on people in need constantly. In fact, the only reason Luigi had his own sub-series is because he was conned into accepting a fake prize for a contest he didn't enter. What a dumbass. It's a good thing the Mushroom Kingdom doesn't have internet, because he's probably be concerned about ethics in video games journalism. Gooigi is clearly the less slimy Mr Green.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought they might have liked something other than a white male lead, but I guess Nintendo fans do know what they want. After all when you keep seeing the damsel in distress over and over it just gets a bit desensitized.

Ok HaremKing.

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017
Luigi the sex symbol----girls really dig that powerful pumping/sucking appliance he got on his back.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Ok? Feel free to comment when you actually have a sensible rebuttal.

Or would a headline like "Sony says their female audience likes seeing Deacon St John / Nathan Drake / Kratos as the lead" not be particularly eye-raising, to say that their female audience enjoy seeing white men taking the lead role in gaming over pretty much anything else?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
First thing I thought of when I read the title.

If the Mario RPGs have taught me anything, it's that Luigi is a jerk. He lies to people constantly, is jealous, entitled and whiny, talks about how he could accomplish stuff if he wanted to, and bails on people in need constantly. In fact, the only reason Luigi had his own sub-series is because he was conned into accepting a fake prize for a contest he didn't enter. What a dumbass. It's a good thing the Mushroom Kingdom doesn't have internet, because he's probably be concerned about ethics in video games journalism. Gooigi is clearly the less slimy Mr Green.
The spiciness in this post is off the charts

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok? Feel free to comment when you actually have a sensible rebuttal.

Or would a headline like "Sony says their female audience likes seeing Deacon St John / Nathan Drake / Kratos as the lead" not be particularly eye-raising, to say that their female audience enjoy seeing white men taking the lead role in gaming over pretty much anything else?

No?
The purpose of the information is about who woman prefer more, Mario or Luigi, and they chose Luigi. Nothing more, nothing less.
And is funny that you say all of this, when all your profile is about one of the most digusting genre in anime where the whole point is that woman need and idolize like god their male saviors.

Last edited:

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Guilty as charged. I prefer Luigi to Mario, character-wise, even though I still like playing as Mario.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
No?
The purpose of the information is about who woman prefer more, Mario or Luigi, and they chose Luigi. Nothing more, nothing less.
And is funny that you say all of this, when all your profile is about one of the most digusting genre in anime where the whole point is that woman need and idolize like god their male saviors.
I'd kindly appreciate if you lay off the ad hominem. For you see, there is very little to gain in attacking the user instead of the argument.

The full quote in the Eurogamer article is the following: "Also, Trinen said, Nintendo's own player research showed Luigi was a particularly attractive lead character to a female audience. " It says nothing about how many lead characters the audience had to choose from. So I have no idea why you think the choice given was only between Mario and Luigi. Do you happen to have more information than Eurogamer provided?

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Luigi is my main in Kart, Smash and when I get to choose him in Mario games...

Love me some weegie!!

Edit: Also in Mario tennis.... and life!

Last edited:

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd kindly appreciate if you lay off the ad hominem. For you see, there is very little to gain in attacking the user instead of the argument.

The full quote in the Eurogamer article is the following: "Also, Trinen said, Nintendo's own player research showed Luigi was a particularly attractive lead character to a female audience. " It says nothing about how many lead characters the audience had to choose from. So I have no idea why you think the choice given was only between Mario and Luigi. Do you happen to have more information than Eurogamer provided?

You are the one throwing accusations, you are the one who has to bring evidence about Nintendo fans idolizing white male leads, which is absurd in the first place, because luigi is a side character for starters, and is far from the alpha white male you seem to think it is.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It should be viewed in the context of "between Nintendo's stable of mascots" they want Luigi rather than Mario, or DK or other male leads"

If you want to make the argument Nintendo needs to diversify their male character mascots so be it (As I can't think of a PoC that is one). The context here though is apparent. Women like the vulnerable, cowardly, hunk of a man, Luigi... No need to make this a race/gender/orientation thing unnecessarily.