• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time the Switch console's exterior is in a different color than matte black.
yep, but actually there was also this:

3448496e87cb0dcb
I thought the same about the Switch, but unless I'm mistaken, this IS the first custom grip.
Very cool. Joycon are the same as the Mario Red previously released (minus the straps)?
So far it appears this may be yet a THIRD shade of red, despite the previous red being described in Japan as "Mario Red." I'm trying to figure this out myself as I have a full, nearly-complete set of joycon (just missing those awful Thunderbolt Project ones, and the dev blacks) and a crippling addiction.
It really, really looks like the plain old Neon Red to me.

If Joy-Cons are important but not the straps, I'd pre-order but wait for unboxings.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the same about the Switch, but unless I'm mistaken, this IS the first custom grip.

It really, really looks like the plain old Neon Red to me.

If Joy-Cons are important but not the straps, I'd pre-order but wait for unboxings.
That's essentially my current plan. I will order the full set in the US when it goes up, then order just the joycon if they're made available separately in Japan. I will cancel the full set if Japan comes through. Looking at the pictures and comparing neon to red to these, it does seem to be a slightly different shade, and the Japanese site calls them "special design" - Joy-Con(L)/(R)(特別デザイン)
topics.nintendo.co.jp

「Nintendo Switch マリオレッド×ブルー セット」が2月12日に発売決定。 特別デザインのキャリングケースも付属。 | トピックス | Nintendo

Nintendo Switchの商品ラインナップに、"マリオ"をモチーフにした特別なセット「Nintendo Switch マリオレッド×ブルー セット」が登場します。特別なデザイ

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Nintendo definitely didn't put much thought into this. Not enough red and blue contrast. No Mario art or patterns. As it looks like, once you go portable, it's a plain red Switch.

Last edited:

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
System and joycons should've been blue along with the patterns etched from the case. Come on Nintendo! 🙄

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hideous.

Why can't we get retro-themed joycons?

why can't we just get an official left joycon with a d-pad?

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Damnit, the Switch Pro rumors are too strong for me to consider this. But this would have been a day one purchase other wise. My Day One Switch is getting a bit old.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Do't really like the combination of the colours. Some patterns would have been nice. The red dock is looking weird...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering what the next joycon colors would be, and they're a slightly different shade if red, haha.

My biggest hope is with BOTW 2 (or maybe with the rumored Zelda Collection) that they'll do a gold joycon bundle. Either that or Metroid themed ones.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
There you go, i think the variety of Switch will expand a lot this year with revision, collector and design.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
It's fine to use a pro controller or third party ones, but that doesn't make the joy cons less of a broken product.
Okay I didn't mean to start an argument or anything, sorry if my joke made it seem so.

"Broken" is a loose term. They certainly work as intended, and for most cases, a long time. They just have a flaw that makes them become broken.

In my opinion, the true "broken" aspect is Nintendo's response to the issue.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I didn't mean to start an argument or anything, sorry if my joke made it seem so.

"Broken" is a loose term. They certainly work as intended, and for most cases, a long time. They just have a flaw that makes them become broken.

In my opinion, the true "broken" aspect is Nintendo's response to the issue.
No problem. I realize that my initial post can be read as a joke.

We can definitely agree that Nintendo's response to the issue is very broken. I'm concerned as to how Nintendo will take the philosophy of "ignore issues / offer repairs / keep producing more of the same shit" to their future products.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
So far nothing has topped the Animal Crossing one. I feel like eventually they'll make an amazing Zelda one, though.

Sep 29, 2020
Had the colors been the other way around with a blue switch and joy cons I'd be all over this. Not big fan of red though.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
No problem. I realize that my initial post can be read as a joke.

We can definitely agree that Nintendo's response to the issue is very broken. I'm concerned as to how Nintendo will take the philosophy of "ignore issues / offer repairs / keep producing more of the same shit" to their future products.
Yeah. Hopefully no further, but they're going to do what they see benefits them in the long run.