• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018

Of course the video doesn't really have much to talk about. It's not a really realistic scenario, going hiking to go play your switch on top of a mountain.

But man, watching this made me decide to revisit the game.
I'm currently sick in bed with the flu, and the game is just aural bliss. I know everyone had the same reaction when there was no overworld "themes" persay, but the ambience and nature sounds do so much to convey the world as a real, living thing. You can hear the rustling grass, the wind, the clanking of equipment, the subtle footsteps of link or his stead. And it's all supported by subtle musical cues and prompts when encountering specific scenarios or enemies, or at different times of day or locations

Wanted to know how other people feel about the sound in this game

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
I do miss having more catchy tunes playing throughout but there is a hefty amount of great songs in the game. They are often only experienced for a few minutes versus the dozens of hours spent with the light piano tracks. I love the songs when listening to them outside of the game.

Also, the town themes are all great and really add to their atmosphere as well as making them a treat to visit. A nice respit after a journey through the wild. Great use of nature sounds as well. The wind is always great in the game as well as moving water.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the video doesn't really have much to talk about. It's not a really realistic scenario, going hiking to go play your switch on top of a mountain.
People taking hikes for leisure with gadgets ain't too uncommon in the west coast. Hell my sister has hiking excursions and brings her work laptop with a data hotspot thing. Just in case

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I tend to play the game even after 100% completing it just to stand around for a few minutes and listen to the sounds around me. It's a pretty relaxing game to come back to.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I was expecting Funky Kong.
giphy.gif

I'm sure this video is nice, will watch/listen later.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Wait, an ASMR video? Nintendo put one out? I don't believe you.

I did ASMR way before it was cool ;) and way before it even had that name. Me and my brother thought we were the only ones who had this feeling.

It was totally surreal when I found out the name of it and that others felt it the same thing on YouTube years ago. I thought I would die before I ever put a name to that feeling.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its kinda crazy, we're witnessing a game that will be categorized as a classic that will shape the industry in the future. People say a game is great all the time, but you don't get many people several years out saying that a game is truly on the level of OoT or Mario 64 or the original zelda that just makes the entire industry stand up and listen.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, this is PincessZeeZee, and I just wanted to show you guys all the cute details on this little guy

images

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love the minimalism and subtlety of the BotW soundtrack, I'm so glad they didn't go the safe route.

Indeed. If you had some sort of Hyrule Field theme blasting through the entirety of the game like it was in previous games' overworlds, that'd get annoying pretty quickly and ruin the atmosphere this game was going for.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Maybe they're hoping sales will pick up again?

Video is kind of dumb, though. Who climbs a mountain and is like "you know what? time for virtual nature!".

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Greatest video game soundtrack of all time. I really hope Nintendo doesn't listen to the fan reaction.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're hoping sales will pick up again. People who didn't get a Switch that first year are largely buying other games instead, which is surprising since the title got so much critical acclaim and overwhelming positive word of mouth.

Video is kind of dumb, though. Who climbs a mountain and is like "you know what? time for virtual nature!".
Huh?
Sales have been accelerating lol

Greatest video game soundtrack of all time. I really hope Nintendo doesn't listen to the fan reaction.
Most of the fan reaction is pretty positive, as is critical reaction, but yeah, given the OST is less appreciated than the OSTs for the other Zelda games, I hope Nintendo doesn't have second thoughts about pursuing such a direction where necessary in the future.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The sound environment and soundtrack are very boring. I wish the soundtrack was up to previous Zelda level.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they're hoping sales will pick up again. People who didn't get a Switch that first year are largely buying other games instead, which is surprising since the title got so much critical acclaim and overwhelming positive word of mouth.

Actually if you look at sales charts, the game still sells rather steadily for a singleplayer game after all this time

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Huh?
Sales have been accelerating lol

Most of the fan reaction is pretty positive, as is critical reaction, but yeah, given the OST is less appreciated than the OSTs for the other Zelda games, I hope Nintendo doesn't have second thoughts about pursuing such a direction where necessary in the future.
It's the only way to score an open world game. They can perhaps add more dynamic musical points and heroic tracks to satisfy more of the fanbase.

But I can't imagine the.hyrule field theme blaring into my ears while I'm exploring topless or running for my life. So much of BOTW is immersion and not heroic.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like everything in the last few days is pointing to me doing another playthrough of this game.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm damn sure this trail is Rattlesnake Ridge in the Snoqualmie valley area in Washington state. I hiked it last summer and recognized it instantly.