• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I wonder for a second, if Nintendo actually looked at DOOM since it's on Switch and said "Is the game our Metroid team is doing competitive with this?". Just for even a second... Is that maybe how Nintendo thinks now?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm still not too pessimistic about this endeavour -

As I see it, there is no reason not to "salvage" and re-use anything appropriate from the previous project, given the money invested, even when it means re-working the assets to whatever degree.

They are obviously just being carefully pessimistic, when saying "it will be a long road ahead" - I'm sure they can put out some "surprise teaser" before the year's end.
Whatever the problems were with the various studios, a good portion of the work that was done (Art, script, assets, music tracks, etc) must have been to the liking of Tanabe and good for the project, and I'm sure the game can easily go into full production. It's not like it will go back to the drawing board.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still not too pessimistic about this endeavour -

As I see it, there is no reason not to "salvage" and re-use anything appropriate from the previous project, given the money invested, even when it means re-working the assets to whatever degree.

They are obviously just being carefully pessimistic, when saying "it will be a long road ahead" - I'm sure they can put out some "surprise teaser" before the year's end.

The impression I got from the announcement was that Retro's pitch was sufficiently different to Tanabe's version of Prime 4 that they had to start the whole project over. A studio like Retro is not going to try and make Metroid Prime 4 using someone else's leftovers.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want to see what Sakamoto could achieve with Retro Studios. I feel like this would have been the best opportunity to assign him to the job. He's probably busy working on another game though.

99% chance he is still working with Mercury Steam, he always said he had a great working relatioship with them while working on Samus Returns (im sure not letting Enric Alvarez and his massive ego touch the project helped a lot), the game had a great reception and sold well. The game was also teasing a sequel after fusion, and they are hiring this week a ton of animators and 3d modelers (which could be for another game but its a good timing for a project after Samus Returns were more people in those positions are needed).

Im really excited of what they probably will release in the future. Non First Person metroid is kicking a living and its clear Sakamoto is not very interested in the Prime series, even if he finally joined it to the canon (becuase as much as some people like to say, im pretty sure he never hated those games).

Oct 29, 2017
Im really excited of what they probably will release in the future. Non First Person metroid is kicking a living and its clear Sakamoto is not very interested in the Prime series, even if he finally joined it to the canon (becuase as much as some people like to say, im pretty sure he never hated those games).

Yeah, he's never had any beef with the Prime series; he acted as a consultant on the Prime games anyway (particularly with cutscene direction). Hell, he even included Meta Ridley in his own remake of Metroid 1! And he consulted with Retro during Prime 2; ensuring that both games featured the same Zero Suit Samus design, while also ensuring that Prime 3 used the same Samus ship design as in Metroid 2 & 3.

Metroid Other M also features a first person perspective that is clearly inspired by the Prime games (right down the the HUD design), while Samus Returns also features a shout out to the Prime visor in its penultimate cutscene; where Samus encounters the baby Metroid.

He's very much hands off on Prime though. As long as those games are self-contained within the overall Metroid story, he doesn't mind Retro having free reign within the Metroid universe. I think Sakamoto appreciates that Metroid was never just "his" series; he took the reigns over from Gunpei Yokoi during the development of the first game, when it was going through development hell, and he had little to no involvement with Metroid 2 ROS anyway. So he is happy to have others involved in its production, as long as he is able to steer the overall storyline himself.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
So if retro are making Metroid 4 now what were they doing since donkey Kong tropical freeze was released?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And making barbecues
Dw6JLoRV4AAr6lN

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The big mystery is Retro's activity since 2014. So many rumours floating around.... Let's hope we'll get a surprise game from them this year.

As for Metroid Prime, at least I will have more time to catch up with the series! Let's get the older titles on Switch NOW, please.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Again, company morale and staff at Retro worries me.
9MiC4Ru.jpg

Yhis was posted december 4th last year from a part time worker.
There's no way they "cancelled" 3 or 4 games during the Wii U life cycle... Not greenlighting 3 or 4 games ? Sure. It happens all the time. But cancelling 3 or 4 games that were in full prod ? In the span of, let's say, 6 years ? (From 2010 to 2016 ?) While still releasing Tropical Freeze, a massive, ambitious 2D platformer ? That's bullshit lol.
Also no way this dude would openly divulge this kind of informations if he indeed worked at Retro Studios. Jason Schreier, Tom Phillips, those kind of journalists have heard nothing about those cancelled games, and yet this dude expect to have 0 problem while disclosing those confidential informations ?

I think that's just some fan fic lol. Is he really verified ? Do we have some concrete ways to prove he indeed worked there and that it's indeed this dude who wrote this review ?
We should ignore those stupid reviews. If conditions at Retro were bad, we would know it. Jason Schreier would hear about it.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Opinion: Nintendo Delaying Metroid Prime 4 is Fine Because Metroid Games Aren't That Great Anyway

I knew we'd get articles like this. Though he is wondering what it is people like about the series more than anything, not hating.

The act of playing Metroid games though I think is where I get lost. All in all, I just don't think they're great Metroidvania games–ironic, I know–because the rewards they give the player for exploring the world never feel worthwhile. When I first played through Super Metroid a few years back, this was my biggest issue with the title. Every upgrade in the game felt so underwhelming. More missile capacity and health? That's cool I guess.

Outside of the main path suit upgrades that you need in order to beat Super Metroid, the ones tucked away in the game's nooks and crannies felt so bland and meaningless, especially after a certain point — I don't really need 200+ missiles, but okay. A Metroidvania game needs to provoke players to want to explore, in my opinion, and this is something that a Metroid game has never once instilled in me.

If I'm being honest, the one thing I love above else that Metroid has given us is Ridley in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate — and not just because of the memes. Somehow, when Smash Ultimate ended up releasing a became a Ridley main of all things. I love that dragon boy as if he was my own son and I have thoroughly enjoyed launching my friends off of the stage with his side-B over the past month or so since release. Ridley is great. Metroid as a whole is fine.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Opinion: Nintendo Delaying Metroid Prime 4 is Fine Because Metroid Games Aren't That Great Anyway

I knew we'd get articles like this. Though he is wondering what it is people like about the series more than anything, not hating.
If we're comparing the two titans that essentially created the "Metroidvania" genre with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid, then I easily fall on the side of SOTN being vastly superior — and I don't think it's really close at all

Fucking LOL

Sotn is a beautiful game but is a complete shitshow mess design wise.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
So what Retro has been doing for the past several years? Lmao.

Guess another 4 years until their next game? This is honestly embarrassing.
Or maybe their new game is about to be gold, and Nintendo will announce it 4 months before release juste like 90% of their games ?
This sounds way more probable than the stupid "they've been working on nothing for the past 5 years !" or "Nintendo cancelled so many games of them" just like if Nintendo would just throw money like that "it's ok bro lol here, we just canceled some of your games, and now we're rebooting MP4 and giving it to you. Also we'll announce it to people asap even if you've only done shit for 5 years".
If this announcement of Retro working on MP4 tells anything to us, it's that they are NOW ready to work on it, while they obviously weren't two or three years ago when MP4 started dev. Also that Nintendo TRUST them to release one of their most anticipated game, game that they just had to make public excuses for the reboot. They trust Retro, there's a reason why.

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
Good on them for admitting what's happening with the game, even though I'm dissapointed that we'll be waiting many years now for this. Ultimately however, I'm happy to wait longer to get a game that's up to the same standards as the first three.

My only hope is they release the Prime Trilogy at some point in the near future, and don't sit on it for years to use it as a hype game before the new games launch.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Immediately my thought. Figured since BOTW was so pivotal and important to their launch, they may hold this as a "hardcore" launch title for Switch 2/Pro.

I feel like that's the best recipe for a Nintendo launch. Release a popular casual franchise alongside a hardcore franchise. It lets both install bases know you're here for them.

I hope that's what they'll do, and give us the Trilogy in the meantime!!!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
You know people have this notion that MP4's delay means they're gonna sit on a completed trilogy for years and it makes no sense.

Bayonetta 1 & 2 was nearly a fucking year ago and we haven't seen any more of Bayo 3 than we did at it's announcement. Clearly they don't actually give a shit about spacing those releases close to each other.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe their new game is about to be gold, and Nintendo will announce it 4 months before release juste like 90% of their games ?
This sounds way more probable than the stupid "they've been working on nothing for the past 5 years !" or "Nintendo cancelled so many games of them" just like if Nintendo would just throw money like that "it's ok bro lol here, we just canceled some of your games, and now we're rebooting MP4 and giving it to you. Also we'll announce it to people asap even if you've only done shit for 5 years".
If this announcement of Retro working on MP4 tells anything to us, it's that they are NOW ready to work on it, while they obviously weren't two or three years ago when MP4 started dev. Also that Nintendo TRUST them to release one of their most anticipated game, game that they just had to make public excuses for the reboot. They trust Retro, there's a reason why.
I agree with you, but if E3 comes and goes this year and we still don't see a Retro game announced, it's going to open up all sorts of questions about what the hell that studio has been doing for the last 5 years.

Are you sure? Other M was Sakamoto's vision for a 3D Metroid.
I don't think he would want to make something like that ever again. As much as folks on message boards like to assume otherwise, it's rather clear that Sakamoto learned from his experience on Other M and you saw so many major shifts on Samus Returns to rectify the biggest issues that game had (substantially less invasive narrative, increased difficulty, actual platforming challenges, logical progression) that I cannot find anyone thinking that he's still got another Other M in him to be arguing in good faith. Whatever the new 2D Metroid game winds up being is far more likely to hold up as one of the best entries in the series than it does in the opposite direction.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So here is some old info I have then I never posted.

Essentially MP4 as a project started at the end of 2016/beginning of 2017. Bandai Namco Singapore worked on the pre-production phase which I believe ended before the trailer at E3 was shown. So that's how early Nintendo decided to announce that the game was in development. Game was based on Unreal 4 and was always going to be a 2019 or 2020 release. Bandai Namco Japan was brought on to work on the game and Nintendo studios were also assisting in various areas. From what I heard, Nintendo wanted to push MP4 to be a flagship title, so increased the budget and scope of the game to try and get it to that AAA level.

Seems things weren't working for this reboot to happen.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Essentially MP4 as a project started at the end of 2016/beginning of 2017. Bandai Namco Singapore worked on the pre-production phase which I believe ended before the trailer at E3 was shown. So that's how early Nintendo decided to announce that the game was in development. Game was based on Unreal 4 and was always going to be a 2019 or 2020 release. Bandai Namco Japan was brought on to work on the game and Nintendo studios were also assisting in various areas. From what I heard, Nintendo wanted to push MP4 to be a flagship title, so increased the budget and scope of the game to try and get it to that AAA level.

Nice info. Stuff I kept trying to tell people that Nintendo was going to push this as a big deal title. You bring Metroid Prime back you bring it back with a bang.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017

Wow. Those are some details.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Thanks, Zhuge. Quite interesting that Nintendo is pushing Metroid as AAA. I think the series definetly has the potential to be a big seller, and appearantly so does Nintendo.

Yeah, the ad-hoc development process they tried would have made a late 2019-early 2020 release date feasible. I'm actually curious about how they determined Bamco as the umbrella of developers to do the work, if there was any reason beyond how well Smash had turned out and the other collaborations they've done in the past.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

Huh, hope their intentions for the game still remain.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So what Retro has been doing for the past several years? Lmao.

Guess another 4 years until their next game? This is honestly embarrassing.

They produced only critically acclaimed games, how embarassing right?

Metacritic

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch) 86 (83 for the Wii U version)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D 83
Donkey Kong Country Returns 87
Mario Kart 7 85
Metroid Prime Trilogy 91
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 90
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 92
Metroid Prime 97

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Think I'll just tackle the points you quoted, rather than giving that page the click it's aiming for.

The rewards they give the player for exploring the world never feel worthwhile. When I first played through Super Metroid a few years back, this was my biggest issue with the title. Every upgrade in the game felt so underwhelming. More missile capacity and health? That's cool I guess.

Outside of the main path suit upgrades that you need in order to beat Super Metroid, the ones tucked away in the game's nooks and crannies felt so bland and meaningless, especially after a certain point — I don't really need 200+ missiles, but okay.

Part of the fun lies in being able to combine your acquired skills in order to reach seemingly-impossible areas. You learn pretty early on in several games that things can be hidden in or behind certain blocks, thus you learn to actively search out areas and question whether a block here or block there might in fact hide something. Even if it is a "bland and meaningless" energy tank or missile expansion, the point is that you've actively engaged in exploring the game world and even finding a way to, as I've said, combine your move set in creative ways. Zero Mission and Fusion especially had you using the Speed Booster in interesting ways. I don't know why the writer raises an issue of these items being meaningless; the game never explicitly states you have to acquire 100% of the items hidden throughout the game and even in the case of boss battles, you seldom have to worry about running low on missiles because the game makes sure to dish them out to you, even if you've barely picked up expansions to your missiles of life energy, beforehand.

I suppose the feeling of being underwhelmed by the main upgrades (suits, beams, key items etc) is all down to subjectivite taste, but they at least have a purpose and, again, encourage you to return to previous areas not just so you can advance, but also have a better chance of acquiring a seemingly-impossible expansion item. Different people will of course engage on different levels as to how much they invest in the optional hunting down of items, but I wouldn't say that's a fault of the game, it's all down to how much you're willing to take up the challenge the game is clearly offering when it comes to mastering the mechanics of the overall gameplay. But the game never forcibly instructs you to gather optional items - they're there if you find yourself invested enough in the world, but tucked away out of sight if you're not and/or simply want to focus on the main/story objective.

A Metroidvania game needs to provoke players to want to explore, in my opinion, and this is something that a Metroid game has never once instilled in me.

I don't know whether the writer goes onto elaborate on this point and/or give examples, but that's an incredibly bold statement to make without providing any sort of supporting material. The thing I love about the Prime games is the suggestive nature of its environmental story-telling and how they evolve/transition the more you delve into them - Phendrana Drifts from the original Prime is a brilliant example: you start off in snowy, enclosed tundras, which then guide you deeper into the Pirate research facilities, only to arrive back out into the natural environments of Phendrana whereupon you navigate through valleys and interior caves alike. And then of course there's the [optional] lore which helps to contextualise things even further and give you a better understanding of the world you're exploring whilst also offering additional backstory/exposition on the many alien races involved. You're not just exploring because the environments are pretty and/or competently designed, they're suggestive in that they give tiny indications as to why a specific species chose a particular path or why things turned out the way they did.