• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Retro will do good things with Prime 4. Even if 2 and 3 weren't as good as 1, they're still great games in their own rights. Prime 4 may or may not be the best game ever, but it will be a good game. I feel pretty confident about that.

Retro will be a changed studio from the old metroid prime days. Some key staff left to Armature studios, so there's going to be new blood and the people who are still there from the MP days haven't made a metroid game in ten years, so I'd think it'd be fresh to them too. I'd imagine they were getting pretty burned out by MP3, working on nothing but metroid for 6 years.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Im excited to see what Jason Scherier digs up from this, always love his insight into these sorts of things.

I think for sure now a MP Trilogy will come of this considering how bad they probably feel that they let some people down. Better to start over then ship a bad game and disappoint fans, Love the transparency and the move by them.

This could theoretically be good because they likely had a spot for it on their schedule they'll need to fill, which could result in us seeing Pikmin 4, Prime HD, or even new Smash DLC or a BOTW expansion so they don't miss projected earnings. How long does it take to make an F-Zero game?

Oh no .. this is potentially bad.

Hasn't there been bad rumours about Retro's project for awhile? I'm also not 100% sure how game development works, but if they're starting over from scratch they're not going to need the entire studio for a bit. It's possible their game is close to being finished or would have been cancelled anyways.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, the wait will be brutal. On the other hand having it at Retro makes me way more excited. This is probably why games don't get announced so early because this has to be a rough decision to come to but I appreciate Nintendo being upfront about it.

This is painful but the right move. Clearly Prime 4 wasn't going well.

Welcome back home, Prime. :)

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Retro should have been on it from day 1. This game is now a long way away.

Nintendo do the right thing and release the Metroid Prime trilogy on switch.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
[QUOTE="Bobo Dakes]I'm not buying this, you knew about the delay when you typed this. [/quote]

Just quoting this from the other thread that got locked, but I don't really appreciate being essentially called a liar for something I genuinely didn't know. Maybe don't assume stuff in the future. I just saw that thread on the top of the page and made a post, that's it.

This news is fucking disastrous though. Nintendo better have some more games on the horizon for this year otherwise it's 2018 all over again. Glad to see it's Retro working on it, but this is gonna take several years to release now.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
This is a disappointment but it's probably for the best in the end, and the fact that Nintendo are being weirdly transparent about this is a nice change of pace.

It's good that it's gone back to Retro too, you can say all you want that it's a completely different team than the Prime trilogy days, but their environmental design is still top notch.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what the cancelled version of Prime 4 looked like.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Wowowowowowowow. WOW!

I literally just woke up and saw the news. This is huge! I'm shocked.

I really appreciate the transparency so we have a clear understanding of where MP4 is at. I'm ok with waiting a few more years. Looking forward to what the new age of Retro Studios will create.

See you guys in 2021?

Feb 26, 2018
  • Really surprised at the transparency here. Nintendo doesn't do that kind of thing
  • Appreciate the update. Extremely disappointed because I was hoping for it within the next 18 months.
  • I wonder what went wrong with the game that NOTHING could be salvaged
  • I'm assuming the other Retro game is due for a release this year, then
  • Some of the reactions in this thread are embarrassing (and hilariously transparent about their agenda). Game development being rebooted happens all the time (one notable example- Uncharted 4). The only unusual thing here is Nintendo's candidness
  • I wouldn't be surprised if this was a cross gen game at this point
  • Can we get Metroid Prime trilogy in the mean time?

They didn't reboot Uncharted 4 from scratch tho.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly in conjunction with that one old Kotaku rumor I suspect that the timeline of events is

1. Retro tries working on new game after DKCTF
2. Doesn't work out, game gets put on backburner for Star Fox GP
3. Retro get offered to do Prime 4 near end of Star Fox GP dev, backburner project most certainly cancelled
This is more-or-less what I'd imagine to be the scenario that'll play out.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
If this means the game will be inherently superior, then go for it. It sucks though that it took them this long to realize they needed Retro on board.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Talking to a bud about this and this came up.

"What if Nintendo knew this is how it was going to go and wanted to announce Prime 4 to push units, and simply announced it to get units out the door while they waited for Retro to free up while they were waiting on something that, arguably, less people but still a good chunk of people were waiting for. (F-Zero). I mean I'd say the Prime 4 announcement pushed at least a million units. I know that's what pushed me to buy one. Or Perhaps they had Bamco make a basis and intended to have Retro come in and finish things up? Why not, right? They have a good track record with Smash Bros. But what if it was so bad they had no choice but to boot Bamco out. Retro has something coming and it's coming soon, there's no way they don't."

I got a strong feeling Retro has something in store for us... this year.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It's bad to hear this because it will not be out any time soon,
on other hand this good because game will be better than they didnt restarted project.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
My haphazard guess on what happened (based on nothing but grapevine and assumptions and whimsical make-believe):

• Metroid: Samus Returns is greenlit, enters production. Feedback from internal test come back very position. Nintendo grows renewed confidence in Metroid.
  • Switch sales hitting hard out the gate, software performing well. Further fuels interest in exploring the Metroid series with a Switch exclusive.
  • Retro is first choice, but busy with Star Fox GP and whatever else. Ex-Prime staff mostly entirely gone from Retro anyway.
  • Bandai Namco chosen, namely due to positive working experience via Smash series. Nintendo sees potential.
  • Metroid Prime 4 is announced with just a logo, because development is so early in pre-production nothing tangible exists. Announced mainly to satiate fans and showcase series investment from Nintendo, just as it coincided with the announcement of Samus Returns.
  • Nintendo's plan is; release Samus Returns, have a Prime Trilogy port developed and released before Prime 4, and finish with the latter in ~3 years post announcement.
  • Bandai Namco cannot get it together. For whatever reasons they cannot evoke the quality and conceptualisation of Metroid Prime as Retro did. Maybe they cannot express the distinctly Western influence in art, aesthetic, themes, and feel. Maybe the combat and movement game systems are clumsy. Maybe the level design is not coming together and certainly not evocative of Metroid.
  • Nintendo sees the red flags. Attempts are made to revitalise the project, all fail. Bandai Namco are sitting on a project Nintendo is confident will not be up to standards expected for the Metroid Prime series, particularly given the positive critical response to Samus Returns.

At this point Nintendo has the following options.
  1. Continue development at Bandai Namco, with high risk of expensive, low quality title rushed to market, disappointing fans and generating bad reception for the Metroid franchise (eg: Other M or Federation Force). This is a bad idea for many reasons, including if Nintendo wish to further the Metroid series (eg: if Mercury Steam is working on another side scrolling Metroid, following Samus Returns, for Switch).
  2. Cancel the project outright, scrap development, and let fans forever anticipate a project that doesn't exist while dodging questions at every interview.
  3. Delay the project, swap developers, tell no-one and remain vague with fans, generating an aura of uncertainty and worry as the project is evidently taking far longer than it should.
  4. Reboot the project with a new developer inspiring more confidence, be candid and apologetic with fans as to the status of the title and why this decision has been made, ensuring Prime 4 has the best chances of high quality design and presentation at the expense of time.
It's the worst best news, but realistically if this is the situation as-is then I think Nintendo absolutely made the best choice. Because the other choices are objectively worse. Unfortunately Nintendo cannot help if their gamble didn't pay off. They can only make the right choices to rectify them.
  • Really surprised at the transparency here. Nintendo doesn't do that kind of thing
  • Appreciate the update. Extremely disappointed because I was hoping for it within the next 18 months.
  • I wonder what went wrong with the game that NOTHING could be salvaged
  • I'm assuming the other Retro game is due for a release this year, then
  • Some of the reactions in this thread are embarrassing (and hilariously transparent about their agenda). Game development being rebooted happens all the time (one notable example- Uncharted 4). The only unusual thing here is Nintendo's candidness
  • I wouldn't be surprised if this was a cross gen game at this point
  • Can we get Metroid Prime trilogy in the mean time?
Good stuff. Completely agreed on all points.

It sucks that this game is at least 3-4 years away, but if the game really wasn't coming together, then I don't think they could have handled this any better. It's refreshing to see them this forthright about a game in development.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The original team has been straight up CC2'd, lmao.

I appreciate the transparency and wonder if we'll see whatever Retro has been doing since DKTF or if that is on ice as well

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
3- nintendo is insane to let Namco do this project. Yeah, they did Smash, but is a entire different game and i dont remember the last time they did a game with a quality on pair with the prime games.
In theory, for Nintendo its help em a lot if they let some 3rd party help develop exclusives. but this is one example of things going all south. specially after the great work ubisoft did with a bloody Rabbids crossover

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks :( But glad it's Retro. Just hope this gives them an incentive and funding to grow a bit to sustain the development of two games simultaneously.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I'm so sad about metroid, but fair enough if it wasn't good enough. Have fun Retro, i think they'll enjoy making this game.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is seriously admirable, most other companies would have just continued and shipped the game even if it wasn't up to their standards, specially since this isn't like mario or zelda, this isn't a big title for them. to realize it's not up to their standards of a nintendo published game and do this, is pretty good news and a good reminder of why nintendo is in a league of their own. it's the superb quality control.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, boo.

On the other, bring on the Retro(pun intended) goodness.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be too worried. Their last game was stellar. They're a great studio.

I love me some Tropical Freeze, it's literally one of my all time favorites

just worried that 2019 retro isn't the studio for a Metroid Prime game and were thrown this because putting the Retro name on it would work as a consolation in light of the delay

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So, it's basically the same exact situation as FF7R then. Great.

The funny thing is that when people criticized Nintendo for only showing a logo I remember people saying "This will come first than FF7R" lol
The sad part is that may still be true : (
Anyway if the game was under Nintendo expectations this is the right decision.

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
it's possible depending on where Retro's current game is, if its already far in the dev cycle then they may have free resources to plan and design MP4 for however long it takes whilst Dev/testing etc completes on their current title.

to be honest with what they pulled off with Metroid Prime i'd really want to see what title they were/are currently working on (+ MP Trilogy)

some day...

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Then how about getting the Prime trilogy up for release on Switch consoles in the meanwhile so people can play something of the ilk while waiting around?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Nintendo didn't restart the game from scratch, Metroid Prime 4 coming in 2019 was unlikely to begin with.
While that was what everyone was thinking I've always thought it was weird to put out the game after two years of development. Didn't they literally start development when it was announced at E3 2017? That's a hell of a short timeframe.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's great to see that most reactions to this are very positive and understanding. Nintendo had huge balls and they definately deserve credit here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Retro is BACK baby! I want a good game, they can take their time on this one.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
This is overexagerration. The only Nintendo game series that has a real history with long development times is Zelda. Metroid Prime 4 could be released as soon as 2020 depending on how much work actually needs to be done on it. "Starting from scratch" doesn't necessarily mean they're throwing what they have away, just that they're re-starting the actual development process. For example Retro might be able to save time by using whatever 3D models, textures, map designs Namco left behind and integrating it into their version. Also, I'm pretty positive the game will generally have the same concept as the Namco version as the director of the game is still the same dude.

1) Nowhere have we heard who the director of the game is and it is EXTREMELY unlikely the director is the same considering the game is switching studios entirely? Kensuke Tanabe is the producer, not the director. Rewatch the video.
2) If you think this game has any flying chance in hell of coming out next year you need to readjust some expectations. Nintendo themselves told us "starting from scratch". They didn't sugar coat it. They are legit starting over. Even if they are using pre existing material, a new Metroid Prime game isn't getting developed in 18 months.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Balls. I want it to turn out good, but that's one of the few announced exclusives I care about (and Switch is an exclusives box for me as I don't care about portability) so a long delay there sucks.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
What I wonder now is if this really increases the possibility of a port of the Metroid Prime Trilogy or even a up-port of Federation Force which turned out to be a good game (Nintendo's handling of it was piss poor) but would be improved with the Switch's controls and gyro.