• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
Damn that makes me sad for 2 reasons.
1. I don't have faith in Retro having 2 teams which means we won't be seeing anything from that studio until MP4.
2. YEARS to see anything about MP4, might as well be a "switch2" launch title...

...but it makes me wonder if there's a direct in the horizon and Ninty is worried about backlash of haing one with no MP4 on it.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Now that we know for sure that they weren't working on Metroid up to now, I'm even more curious what Retro was actually doing for those 4 years (!) after Tropical Freeze.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Whatever Metroid Prime 4 was originally is basically cancelled. Super intriguing. At least we know what Retro is up to now.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
This will make for a fascinating YouTube video one day. I'm almost as interested to see what they've scrapped as I am Retro's eventual release.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I have respect for Nintendo in the sense that releasing a video saying "the game wasnt good, he starting it again" isnt the easiest task. Good luck to Retro.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I never had much confidence in Bandai Namco developing a worthy Metroid Prime sequel, so this seems like great news to me.

It does show Nintendo really shouldn't have announced Metroid Prime 4 when they did though.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Good that they recognize they were working towards a failure and are reassessing. Whatever it takes.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It happens but they really released that teaser trailer way too early.

I am confident Retro can do it, though.
Well they only did that to mitigate backlash against Samus Returns being on 3DS.

It worked well with Smash Brothers so it's not too much of a stretch to see Nintendo wanting to expand that partnership.
From the sounds of it, it seems a more prestigious and experienced team within Namco was working on Smash than had been tasked with Prime 4.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
What least they're being honest, that's more than 90% of the same stuff happening to other games that face the same problem.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Much respect to Nintendo for doing this. But I cant help but think its because the situation is so dire, that there hands are tied. They are not doing this as a favor to thier fans. Its the only thing they CAN do to cover thier ass. This video essentially means Metroid 4 as we know it, has been canceled. They are annoncing it now that they will rebuild it, but non the less its currently canceled.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Well at least we know what retro is doing no?
The delay sucks, but I bet the have enough to show this year if they decided to reveal the status of the game.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That actually does sound good. Shows nintendo are concerned about the quality of a major release of this franchise. I'm happy to wait until they're able to finish it.

Oct 28, 2017
Gee Nintendo why can't you release the game half baked and have a lack of quality like the rest of the AAA industry. Always behind the times [/s]

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
What about retro current project?

Retro haven't shipped a new game in over 4 years. They've been helping Nintendo with other projects and their DKC TF port, but you'd hope whatever they've been working on is close to finished now.

If they really are starting from scratch on MP4, they don't need a big team on it yet anyway, until they work out the design.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah, what the Switch needs now are more old ports
can you elaborate? because

sales wise, it isn't. Like, no. Animal Crossing, Pokemon will sell gangbuster more, but even medium-tier projects (lol) like Fire Emblem and Luigi's mansion have more commercial value

single-player wise it wasn't supposed to be the only game coming this year, considering that FE and Luigis have been officially announced for this year, with Bayonetta 3 with way more chance to be out in 2019, than this game

So no, it wasn't honestly

I won't because I can see where this is going. I know it's onot a huge game sales wise.
I should have said it was MY big Switch game I EXPECTED for this year.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Guys - developers of Retro's size typically work on more than one game at a time. If there is indeed a StarFox GP (or whatever), then a smaller part of the team will finish it off while the rest of the team works on Metroid 4. This is not uncommon in development.

As for Reggie "lying" about the game's development going well - not really sure what people would expect him to say in that instance? It's a default marketing statement, you can't express problems or cancellation even if that's the case, until you make a final decision and prepare a proper statement. Again, not uncommon.

Just my personal 2-bob.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
This is actually good news. That means Takahashi is doing his job, and whoever was deving it before was shitting the bed. He was trying to prevent an Other M backlash, let alone maybe a genuinely terrible game.

As someone who actually likes the games, I was afraid it'd either have nothing new to bring to the series, or not be very good. It's easy for many to not understand what makes those games tick.
Also, some folks just aren't good at making deep, well-designed games.
They're cheap though.

Sad news, but good news. Good call Takahashi-san.

If Miyamoto ran EPD, that shit would have released

Is Star Fox GP cancelled, or is New Donkey Kong Country 3 cancelled?

As for Reggie "lying" about the game's development going well - not really sure what people would expect him to say in that instance? It's a default marketing statement, you can't express problems or cancellation even if that's the case, until you make a final decision and prepare a proper statement. Again, not uncommon.

This. That and there's a good chance he had absolutely no idea how it was going day to day. There's really little benefit to having him a part of development.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Extremely frank and honest video from Nintendo. I for one am happy that Retro are going to do Prime 4, I wonder if any of the folks who worked on the Prime Series will come back to the studio now they are doing this? While some of those who worked on the series before are still there many have scattered across the gaming landscape, some just within Austin (where Retro's studio is) and others much further afield.

Wrynn

Jan 10, 2018
The least Nintendo can do now to quell the Metroid fanbase thirst is release Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Switch with HD tweaked visuals and some sort of bonus content.

That makes me really sad, MP4 was by far my most anticipated game of 2019. Well, the positive side of this is that Retro is making a Metroid Prime again.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's some bad news for you, but I think I'm not... Sad?

I'm relieved, actually... Don't know why

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
so your definition of "is Nintendo's Fault" is em giving the game development chance to Bamco and bamco crewing the game?.

Yes? Ultimately it's theirs. Nintendo made the decision to give it to Bamco. Bamco fucked it up. It's Nintendo's mistake to have given it to Bamco. It does not mean Bamco is not to blame in this situation. But the fault falls on Nintendo.

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
I actually expected it to come out this year. Guess we'll be waiting another 3 years minimum
if it even ends up coming out.
Glad Retro is on this at least

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Better delayed than bad, but I wonder what happened with the Bandai Namco(?) version.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn just watching the video and the statement doesn't hold back at all. The game was crap really and had nothing worth salvaging so it's straight back to square one with a completely different studio.

This really is the time I'd appreciate insight/insider info as opposed to the vague hints and wink-wink-nudge-nudge teases that are old hat now and clearly not even reliable anymore considering multiple on this site alone commented to the effect that MP4 was going well.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
This tells me one of 2 things: Either Star Fox Grand Prix is done and waiting to be announced and released quickly from each other, or Grand Prix hit development hell and Nintendo canceled it and moved Retro over to this, as the Namco team was doing a terrible job.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I'm curious about what the product look like before this reboot of development, and as to what differences Retro will be making from the original vision.

They called it Metroid Prime 4, so I would assume the developer (Bandai Singapore?) was basing the core game off of the original trilogy. So what wasn't working would be interesting to know.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Guys - developers of Retro's size typically work on more than one game at a time. If there is indeed a StarFox GP (or whatever), then a smaller part of the team will finish it off while the rest of the team works on Metroid 4. This is not uncommon in development.

Cooler heads will prevail