• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DOMO GYU

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This is actually good news. It's good to see that Nintendo is still demanding a great deal of their products, so far, that they are willing to start from scratch.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
They say starting from scratch, but I assume there are plenty of assets and shit they're going to build off of.

Kaveri

Oct 28, 2017
Ouch, this one stings.. But I'm fine there's plenty to play in the meantime.

But now that they've done their indie highlight and gotten this piece of bad news out of the way - surely a direct is coming soon?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
A shame we'll have to wait so long, but in the long run it's much more important that they get it right. A good decision.

Fawk Nin

Nov 6, 2017
The worst news delivered in the best possible way. The open communication is appreciated but the news is very disappointing.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's in development and they're honest about it being delayed at least.

Edit: I guess this means the Prime games could get ports sooner rather than later.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, what a weird video/announcement. Not sure I can remember anything quite like it.
Bummed it won't be coming soon. If we take the video at his word, and they have had to start from scratch we are talking at least 3-4 years.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
bad-game.png

Take your time Nintendo.

Retro creating it from scratch is actually a relief. It's nice that Nintendo is just being upfront with this.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Nintendo isn't typically so publicly facing about development challenges. I wonder if this means that whatever Retro was currently working on is close to announcement/release or canceled?

I'd rather Nintendo get it right then get it out in any particular timeframe. They should probably port the Trilogy to the Switch sooner rather then later as a low-effort mea culpa, though.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting I've never thought Nintendo would issue an apology like this before. They should just start with a port of prime trilogy

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I guess we now know why Nintendo skip January direct this year. At least give me new Fire Emblem news. :(

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Because it was supposed to be the big game of this year on the Switch ?

fortunately they'll have animal crossing and pokemon, but as far as those critical darling oscar bait-style games, yeah - i imagine that's what they were going for.

the switch right now is also the perfect climate to launch the metroid series again in a big way, so the loss of potential here hurts too.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that some people actually thought we would get this game in 2019 when we had seen nothing from it. See you in 2022 or later Metroid Prime 4.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You have to think what was going wrong with the original MP4

It had to be really bad if they canceled it.

Did they even announce who was doing it?

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Shows Nintendo is serious about this, could have easily said nothing and hoped we forgot.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing but preferable to getting a mediocre come back for Prime. Hopefully Sakamoto can squeeze another 2d title out in the mean time. I don't know what kind of sway id holds in Texas anymore but hopefully Doom rubbed off on everyone at Retro.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i have been very critical of MP4 as i didn't think the studio that was rumoured to do it was up to the job, so i'm glad it moved to retro. i can wait.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That was unexpected. Eh, disappointing but a bad Metroid would be far more disappointing. I don't get why they didn't do this for Other M...

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 for holiday 2022 confirmed lol
Well now I have zero games to look forward to for Switch. Wasn't Nintendo supposed to have no droughts in new games for Switch by merging console and handheld development? Then why is all they have done in 2 years like 4 new games and the rest ports from WiiU titles?
In 2 years on Switch, Nintendo will have published:
BOTW
Odyssey
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade 2
Kirby Star Allies
Smash Ultimate
Super Mario Party
Pokémon Let's Go
Yoshi's Crafted World
Mario Tennis
12 Switch
Labo Kits (x3)
Fire Emblem Warriors

...of the top of my head, that's 14 new titles in 2 years. Quite a bit more than "4"

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Some of the reactions here are yet again embarrassing. They are being as transparent as they can be and these things happen in game development. BotW got delayed twice and look at the amazing game we got in the end.
Indeed. It is what it is, but let's focus on my negative feelings instead of appreciating transparency

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I guess this is one of those thing people will bring up as an example of Nintendo making baffling decisions at times. Why they didn't give the project to Retro to begin with is beyond me.

That said, I am very glad to see they care enough about the Metroid brand to not put out a sub-par game. I've waited a decade for Prime 4, what's 3-4 years more at this point. Just give us some more 2D Metroid while we wait.
The thing is, Nintendo HAD to announce MP4. They had the Metroid remake re&ady to launch. It would have received a lot of hate had they not said they were planning to release a new Prime game. Same thing that happened with Let's Go this year: they had to reassure people that there still was a new Gen coming. See the hate USUM received when it was not Pokémon Star. This is all there was to it, it had barely started development.

And so, In early 2017 (when they decided this I would guess) they couldn't give it to Retro because they were busy with their current project. But now that Retro is (probably) close to finishing their new game, they can start a new project.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
The main problem is that they announced it in the first place. Who knows how many F-Zeros came close to being announced as being in development over the years?