• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
furusakd7.png

Shuntaro Furukawa, president of Nintendo Co., adjusts his spectacles during a news conference in Tokyo, Japan, on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019. Nintendo cut its outlook for annual Switch shipments, the strongest sign yet that the hybrid console is struggling to attract a wider swath of users and become a worthy successor to the Wii. Photographer: Kiyoshi Ota/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Disclaimer:Above image caption is from February, 2019. I included it just for reference while crediting the photographer.

Today, on June 30, 2020, the voting results of Proposal No. 2 (Election of Five Directors) of Nintendo's 80th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders was announced. The proposal was approved and resolved as originally proposed. The five candidates, Shuntaro Furukawa, Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinya Takahashi, Ko Shiota and Satoru Shibata were elected and assume office as Directors. Last year, President Furukawas approval rating was 92.04 %: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190701.pdf

Below are the voting results:

Shuntaro Furukawa
In favor: 937,392
Against: 41,324
Abstained: 245
Approval rate: 95.47 %

Shigeru Miyamoto
In favor: 965,332
Against: 12,059
Abstained: 1,575
Approval rate: 98.32 %

Shinya Takahashi
In favor: 965,552
Against: 11,834
Approval rate: 98.34 %

Ko Shiota
In favor: 965,559
Against: 11,827

Satoru Shibata
In favor: 965,553
Against: 11,833

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200630.pdf

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Furukawa is said to be a numbers guy not a developer so this will be the first time since the Yamauchi days to have a non gamer in charge

Will be interesting to see if how it will impact the successor design and positioning

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Furukawa is said to be a numbers guy not a developer so this will be the first time since the Yamauchi days to have a non gamer in charge

Will be interesting to see if how it will impact the successor design and positioning
Wasn't the guy who succeded Iwata from a non-developer background? If I'm not remembering wrong, he was a finance guy who even spend some time at the bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
A few fans of two Paper Mario games don't make up the entire internet.

Miyamoto doesn't do the Paper Mario games, that's all Intelligent Systems. What Spine Crawler is referring to is that he was one of the big leaders of the charge into casual games, since a lot of them were based on his hobbies - Wii Fit, Wii Music, Brain Age, the Personal Trainer games, Art Academy, etc.

Tach

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 25, 2020
East England, UK
Miyamoto doesn't do the Paper Mario games, that's all Intelligent Systems. What Spine Crawler is referring to is that he was one of the big leaders of the charge into casual games, since a lot of them were based on his hobbies - Wii Fit, Wii Music, Brain Age, the Personal Trainer games, Art Academy, etc.

The bolded are classics, it just that the heretics where to silly to understand such complexity. :D

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I know perfectly well, but all the threads about Paper Mario end up degenerating into hatred for Miyamoto.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the radio silence strategy regarding announcements, this tenure is doing a great job, the ratings are well deserved.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
it's like polls for a video game company. I like those polls.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing they need to steamroll the rest of the year is to increase production of Ring Fit Adventure and give it a higher marketing budget. Sucess.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
furusakd7.png

Shuntaro Furukawa, president of Nintendo Co., adjusts his spectacles during a news conference in Tokyo, Japan, on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019. Nintendo cut its outlook for annual Switch shipments, the strongest sign yet that the hybrid console is struggling to attract a wider swath of users and become a worthy successor to the Wii. Photographer: Kiyoshi Ota/Bloomberg via Getty Images

This very confusing. Is this caption from Feb 2019? Or June 2020? Because it doesn't seem to have any business being in this topic.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the radio silence strategy regarding announcements, this tenure is doing a great job, the ratings are well deserved.
Why announce new stuff when you can't satisfy current demand ? This only result in more pissed customers.

Also them taking the wait and see approach makes sense considering Sony and MS have to reveal their Holiday plans because of new systems...Nintendo doesn't have to go all out until later in the year

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Your first statement makes no sense..

Saying ' this is the first since the yamauchi days...' is so weird, as if there's a long line of successors between yamauchi and furukawa.

Nintendo as a video game company has only been lead by 3 president so far...with only iwata being an outlier as a 'game person'. Looking at this, iwata, the 'game person', is the exception.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I know perfectly well, but all the threads about Paper Mario end up degenerating into hatred for Miyamoto.
Maybe someday people will read the actual interview that stuff all stems from and not just a few fansites misrepresenting said interviews to build a really silly narrative about his role with changing Paper Mario.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Theres no way he doesnt actually play games, he runs a game company after all. Maybe he is simply less so of a gamer than past presidents (or its just a baseless internet rumour).

Don't think it's possible to be less of a gamer than past president. He obviously can't be compared to iwata in terms of gaming knowledge and experience so there's only yamauchi to compare then...and i don't think it's possible to have even less of an interest in games than yamauchi. The guy famously didn't play any of the games Nintendo produced.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
This very confusing. Is this caption from Feb 2019? Or June 2020? Because it doesn't seem to have any business being in this topic.
It's illustrating why his approval went up. In 2019 interest in Switch was waning. In 2020 it's an unstoppable force. Of course there are major confounding variables contributing to that success...

Dec 23, 2017
I say wait until they make their next move to make a judgement. What comes next after the switch and how it performs will be telling. We shall see.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Furukawa calling himself a gamer at his presentation?

Anyways, Kimishima was also a numbers guy iirc. Iwata was the anomaly.

Kimishima was also business man.

He was president of NOA under Iwata, but his tenure as President of NCL was more of a caretaker role after Iwata passed as the Switch design and development was in place by then, he stepped down soon after Switch launched.

Your first statement makes no sense..

Saying ' this is the first since the yamauchi days...' is so weird, as if there's a long line of successors between yamauchi and furukawa.

Nintendo as a video game company has only been lead by 3 president so far...with only iwata being an outlier as a 'game person'. Looking at this, iwata, the 'game person', is the exception.

That's fair there hasn't been that many Nintendo presidents, i'm more highlighting the fact we've been used to quirky Nintendo that's strongly driven by developer input. Even under Yamauchi, he likes to arbitrarily pick winners and he's often right about products.

Furukawa seems more hands off so I was trying to contrast that with how Nintendo operated in the past. Maybe nothing will be different, but it may inform how they approach the generational transition, which I have to say, hasn't been Nintendo's strong suit, in part because they often take the road less travelled. Maybe we'll just get a straight up Switch 2 this time.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
User Banned (Permanent): Long history of platform warring
Nintendo has done well with Switch. But I don't think their future looks strong. They're just a portable console maker now. New consoles are coming and Switch won't be the fresh thing anymore. So now what does Nintendo do? Just a better Switch? I think game streaming services are going to hit their stride this gen. Suddenly every phone, tablet, and PC will be able to stream super high end core games. So their 'portable core gaming' angle will shrink. I see another generation of Switch hardware for them, but I'm not so sure the market will be there this time. Nintendo software alone is not enough to carry them. Maybe they just become Sega and do software/movies only.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has done well with Switch. But I don't think their future looks strong. They're just a portable console maker now. New consoles are coming and Switch won't be the fresh thing anymore. So now what does Nintendo do? Just a better Switch? I think game streaming services are going to hit their stride this gen. Suddenly every phone, tablet, and PC will be able to stream super high end core games. So their 'portable core gaming' angle will shrink. I see another generation of Switch hardware for them, but I'm not so sure the market will be there this time. Nintendo software alone is not enough to carry them. Maybe they just become Sega and do software/movies only.

I thought mobile already killed portables about 10 years ago?

Streaming really is a threat though, look how Stadia is doing!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is a great copy-pasta, almost fell for it!

EdGaltBR

Banned
Jun 12, 2020

He is favoring Switch over smartphones. That's great.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Last edited: