• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
At the end of last month, Nintendo revealed that it had cut its original 20 million Switch hardware sales target for the current financial year, instead resetting that estimate to 17 million. The change was based on lower-than-expected sales for the first nine months of the year, and resulted in an immediate drop in share prices for the company.

Now, a Q+A session from Nintendo's recent Nine Months Financial Briefing has revealed more information about the target cut. Nintendo President, Shuntaro Furukawa, responded to a question about the revision, blaming "insufficient" efforts to convey the console's appeal to a high enough number of people.

furukawa-cropped.900x.jpg

"As we look back so far (for this fiscal year), we now evaluate that our efforts to fully convey the appeal of Nintendo Switch hardware and software to the number of new consumers we originally hoped to reach were insufficient.
And from the viewpoint of our full-year unit sales forecast for this fiscal year, while we expected that releasing titles during the holiday season would help to increase sales, the year-on-year sales increase during the first half of the fiscal year (April to September) turned out not big enough, which also affected the revision of the unit forecast as we looked back now."

read more

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think it failed simply because 20 million is a fuckton of consoles. The ps4, which is gonna hit 120 million-plus, still only managed it once.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Code for:

"Our games weren't as appealing as we thought, but we don't want to say that so we're going to throw the marketing team under the bus"

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know why Nintendo chose to punch itself in the face like this when they could have gone for 17 mil forecast in the first place and it would have still been very ambitious and hard to hit and they could have nailed it thanks to Smash and Pokemon and soaked up the positivity as a result.

There was no need to forecast such a huge number when the Switch was doing fine and risk the shareholder kickback

Oct 27, 2017
Just so I get this straight, he's saying that the reason they didn't make their goal is despite selling like hotcakes during Christmas, they feel that their sales were down from the first half of 2018 (versus that of 2017) because of lacking software (I.e. how Ninty had a first party title nearly every month in 2017).

Correct?

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
I think Labo was supposed to be a larger driver of system sales for the first half of the year than it ended up being.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Yeah, it's obvious now they thought Labo would be bigger (even if they say they are satisfied by its sales)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
well, they could have appealed to people with a 50$ discount. it would have brought them much closer to the 20m target i am sure.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Labo didn't catch on, Kirby doesn't move units and tennis was way undercooked.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I think there was less hype around a lot of the games because they were Wii U ports. If they'd all been original titles (which I know would probably have slowed output) they would have a better chance of driving hardware uptake. Having said that, most of the ports have sold really well so it's hard to knock the strategy.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You had barely any games, and Labor is fun, but it's no With Sports. No need to throw marketing under the bus.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should read the Q&A we got from Nintendo. We actually have a thread that actually has this information in the OP.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like some more exclusives please. I haven't played my Switch in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.