• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I want to pre-order on the eShop, but I always want to buy physical, to support the developer/publisher that is actually using a proper cart.

Yeah, fuck you Capcom.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
I believe you are the only person in this thread saying it "looks so bad".

The game looks and runs incredibly well considering the hardware it's on.

That could be because anyone criticizing this game's graphics gets attacked and branded a hater by the rabid nintendo fanboys, so at some point people not here to sing praises of how amazing the gfx are, just avoid those threads. And we can both recognize the technical achievement it is to get it running as well as it is on the Switch hardware while also not considering it good enough to actually enjoy the game in such a compromised state.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
to be fair honestly, i don't play witcher for the graphic (as I still love playing the first game) I play witcher for the story. So this portable version is great!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That could be because anyone criticizing this game's graphics gets attacked and branded a hater by the rabid nintendo fanboys, so at some point people not here to sing praises of how amazing the gfx are, just avoid those threads. And we can both recognize the technical achievement it is to get it running as well as it is on the Switch hardware while also not considering it good enough to actually enjoy the game in such a compromised state.

People only get those types of responses if they say ridiculous things ignoring all context. That happens everywhere.

You can feel free not to like it or think it's not good enough for you, but when you complain about Nintendo actually showing the game that's just an outright absurd thing to say.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
You are talking like this is completely unplayable when its clear from these videos and the digital foundry analysis that it isnt the case. I reckon you are arguing in bad faith.

Now people have the option of playing the game with high spec or playing with lower quality but with the option of playing on the go. Thats fantastic for fans of the game and a remarkable technical achievement.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
People only get those types of responses if they say ridiculous things ignoring all context. That happens everywhere.

You can feel free not to like it or think it's not good enough for you, but when you complain about Nintendo actually showing the game that's just an outright absurd thing to say.

That's not true, I recently blocked someone in another thread after he told me to go fuck myself for being a hater, for simply stating that the Switch version doesn't do the game justice and so I'd recommend another platform to someone playing it for the first time.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Incredible. Not the biggest fan of the game (played it on PC a few years back), but it's a good game that I never expected to see on the Switch, so I am definitely getting it because I still cannot comprehend its existence

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true, I recently blocked someone in another thread after he told me to go fuck myself for being a hater, for simply stating that the Switch version doesn't do the game justice and so I'd recommend another platform to someone playing it for the first time.

Well without you linking that post I don't know if what you said warranted that kind of response from that person (I don't think anything really warrants such a response to be honest but that's me), but in general the only people who get shit on in these threads are the ones who make ridiculous claims, call this the "fake" version of the game, beg others not to buy this, etc.

But yeah I can't speak for everyone, some people are gonna be assholes.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

have you played the switch version?

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
This is absolute black magic sorcery. The Switch has no right to run something like this - talk about punching above its weight!

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Well without you linking that post I don't know if what you said warranted that kind of response from that person (I don't think anything really warrants such a response to be honest but that's me), but in general the only people who get shit on in these threads are the ones who make ridiculous claims, call this the "fake" version of the game, beg others not to buy this, etc.

But yeah I can't speak for everyone, some people are gonna be assholes.

That hardly warranted insults, but I'm not too surprised tbh, people are very aggressive on this forum.

have you played the switch version?

No, but I can watch footage, the very low res in Novigrad and in the wilderness when there's lot of vegetation, said vegetion that look kinda like water painting, the barren streeets, the low fps, the constant pop-in etc. Only time it looks fine is during cutscenes and interiors basically and you spend most of the game wandering outdoor.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Personally, the rather extreme compromises do make the game what I'd consider "unplayable" (for me), but that's because I've played through the entire thing on the highest settings and couldn't go back. For those who haven't played it or can ignore the downgrades, it should still be a great experience as it's a great game! Unfortunately the amazing (especially at the time) graphics were a huge part of the experience for me.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally, the rather extreme compromises do make the game what I'd consider "unplayable" (for me), but that's because I've played through the entire thing on the highest settings and couldn't go back. For those who haven't played it or can ignore the downgrades, it should still be a great experience as it's a great game! Unfortunately for me the amazing (especially at the time) graphics were a huge part of the experience.
I used to take that sort of mentality when I first built my own PC. I could run any game at max settings at the highest resolution my monitor could offer. But some games were plagued with technical issues that would make it crash to desktop, some that have still still to be resolved to this day. It might just be my particular graphics card or driver, but at this point it would be painstaking to troubleshoot.

Nowadays, I could forgo having the highest setting for the conveniences the Switch offers, which is being able to take the experience with you where ever you go. You don't have that fear of needing to stop and save since you could literally susppend your game, and whip it out on your next earliest convenience. You can't do that with any other console or PC. There's no need to dedicate a "sitdown time" and commit to a screen, rather its the opposite.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

That hardly warranted insults, but I'm not too surprised tbh, people are very aggressive on this forum.

Oh yeah, absolutely, that response was too aggressive. It happens sometimes, but I don't think there's been any sort of pattern with this port.

manicured....

hair and beard???

I think you need to go lie down.

oh sweet summer child

we got illiterate mfers who don't even know what manicure means

This thread has taken a weird turn but "manicured" is a very common and proper word to describe a well-kept beard or hair.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, absolutely, that response was too aggressive. It happens sometimes, but I don't think there's been any sort of pattern with this port.

This thread has taken a weird turn but "manicured" is a very common and proper word to describe a well-kept beard or hair.
It was a dumb post to begin with. Trying to say the game groomed himself well, while calling him fat.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody should spread such a dumb misnomer.

Definition of manicure (Entry 2 of 2)
transitive verb
1: to do manicure work onespecially : to trim and polish the fingernails of
2a: to trim closely and evenlymanicured lawns
b: GROOM sense 2manicured flower beds

Merriam-Webster isn't a nobody.

I thought it had more to do with nails?

...This...isn't about Geraldt's bathtub scene where he puts up his feet now, is it?

A manicure (the noun) refers to an appointment in which you get your fingernails trimmed/colored/whatever. But manicure the verb (and manicured the adjective) has a much broader meaning, basically to groom something. It's often used in reference to a lawn.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. Nostalgia goggles already for me. Was like "No way thats the same number of npcs as ps4" but yes Novagrad is barren as fuck on Ps4 too. Remembed it different.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Please do explain why The Witcher 3's gameplay isn't that good. I've heard conflicting stories, such as it being a step up from The Witcher 2, and so forth.

Not the person you quoted but it's down to how Geralt controls, especially during combat. His movement controls are really clunky, with heavy emphasis on animation fluidity over the actual ability to move. But that's all pretty common these days.

In combat the real issue is that it can be hard to know which enemy Geralt is targeting at times. So you can have 3 enemies surrounding you and 2 more standing like 5-10 feet away, and if you tilt the left stick a bit to the left while attacking you'd expect him to attack the one a bit to his left, right? Well, a lot of the time instead of that happening he'll do a fancy roll and flip over to one of the guys standing 5-10 feet away to attack him. It may not be a huge deal to most people but it can be really clunky and aggravating at times.

The game overall is fantastic though. The preparation aspect of combat is a lot more fun and engaging (to me) than the actual combat itself but YMMV.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait, looks great. Ya'll better not have been lying hyping this up as a game of the generation for so long.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
In combat the real issue is that it can be hard to know which enemy Geralt is targeting at times. So you can have 3 enemies surrounding you and 2 more standing like 5-10 feet away, and if you tilt the left stick a bit to the left while attacking you'd expect him to attack the one a bit to his left, right? Well, a lot of the time instead of that happening he'll do a fancy roll and flip over to one of the guys standing 5-10 feet away to attack him. It may not be a huge deal to most people but it can be really clunky and aggravating at times.
So the "auto-targeting" feels...off? I was hoping there would be a cursor which highlights who Geraldt would be attacking.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So the "auto-targeting" feels...off? I was hoping there would be a cursor which highlights who Geraldt would be attacking.

It's been a while since I've played it but I don't remember any such cursor or anything like that. I think it might show the health bar of whomever is targeted? Either way yeah, that's more or less my biggest gripe with the gameplay. The other thing is that even when the targeting is fine Geralt will sometimes do things you didn't really expect him to. Like, instead of just swinging his sword at an enemy you might get him flipping or rolling a little and then swinging. It just feels weird how it responds to your inputs at times.

But I don't really consider any of that to be a huge issue.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm not looking forward to the OT for this port...

On topic, The lack of loading screens outside of fast travel and everything are pretty impressive too. I'm glad they kept the movement and feel of the world despite having to take the hit on graphics. I'm going to miss some of my mods, but can't wait to pour another 200 hours into this game handheld.

Seeing Novigrad literally on this tiny low powered device is still mind blowing to me and while I'll always be hoping they release a Switch 2.0 with improved processing to not have to make concessions like this in the future, just having this here and in this quality is pretty damn impressive.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
There's definitely a lot of very notable compromises made to get this to run. Which of course was expected. As I've played the game already I know how damn good game it is, the graphical and perfomance downgrade isn't a problem for me personally. But still makes me wonder how off-putting this might look to someone not that familiar with the game.

Edit: Love Miles' Switcher shirt and that Roach gag on the background with the toy horse.

Last edited:

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for everyone that wants to play this on Switch and will now get to, but having played the PC version I think it's far too compromised for me even with the benefit of portability. I definitely noticed tons of frame rate issues, but others have said that may be the upload and I hope it is.
Personally, the rather extreme compromises do make the game what I'd consider "unplayable" (for me), but that's because I've played through the entire thing on the highest settings and couldn't go back. For those who haven't played it or can ignore the downgrades, it should still be a great experience as it's a great game! Unfortunately the amazing (especially at the time) graphics were a huge part of the experience for me.
Yeah, we get it.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Hey i'm not saying that nobody will buy this, in fact playing Witcher 3 in a handheld is a good proposition, just amazed that they're showing the game, given how bad it looks and runs, that it might discourage some people from buying.

What a strange post, when most people in this and other threads and on Twitter and co. already mentioned how good it still looks. And yeah, it looks good.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There's definitely a lot of very notable compromises made to get this to run. Which of course was expected. As I've played the game already I know how damn good game it is, the graphical and perfomance downgrade isn't a problem for me personally. But still makes me wonder how off-putting this might look to someone not that familiar with the game.
Agreed. You can definitely tell when the day time comes and the lack of res is obvious and the washed out light system but it's still playing exactly like Witcher and will be on a tiny screen and such.

I will never use graphics as a primary quality indicator for a game, but even if I didn't know about the PC version and play it maxed/modded on PC I'd still be impressed with how much is on display in all these showings I think. Then again I'm a huge fan of all games of this type. I bought Dragon's Dogma and think that game looks like ass on Switch (and in general aesthetically) but plays fun!

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017

Edit: Love Miles' Switcher shirt and that Roach gag on the background with the toy horse.

Haven't played the PC version myself (but do game on a decent gaming PC in addition to my Switch and have seen videos of this running at high settings) and I think it looks really good. If this existed in a vacuum and not as a port, people would be flipping out over how good the visuals are for a Switch game. I don't get the people who find this slight downgrade "unplayable" - I get the preference of playing on higher settings if you have the means and thats conducive to your lifestyle, but it being "unplayable" is some hilarious hyperbole.