• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
why is the framerate so terrible here? it's not like that on other videos we have. what's up with nintendo's uploads?

or is it me/my connection/my browser?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is crazy good for a handheld. Novigrad seems a bit choppy unless I'm imagining things but it looks great and playable.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I continue to be amazed by this port, I've beaten W3 on Xbox when it came out but this is tempting me, if only to marvel at the sheer impossibility of it all (I mean, I bought doom for the same reason and ended up playing it far more than I ever did on Xbox)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this game running in any shape or form on switch is unbelievable. i'm not gonna be day 1 for this (WAY too many games this year) but i'm sure i'll play it down the line.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't look bad at all for being on the switch, a bit framey and low textures but looks playable if you want it portable.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I don't think the stutters are coming from reencoding to 24fps. All the other handheld videos and CDPRs docked video did not have these issues though.

Maybe someone who was played it at gamescom can add something here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does it only look this way, because of the lower handheld resolution or does the game apply a heavy depth of field blur in the distance? Especially in Novigrad everything in the distance looks really unclear.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Does it only look this way, because of the lower handheld resolution or does the game apply a heavy depth of field blur in the distance? Especially in Novigrad everything in the distance looks really unclear.

I think the devs said they added a bit of blur to the backgrounds to mask the lower draw distance. IIRC it can be disabled in the options menu.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think the devs said they added a bit of blur to the backgrounds to mask the lower draw distance. IIRC it can be disabled in the options menu.

Oh, that is interesting. As long as it isn't too aggressive that might actually look quite nice. I remember when the game was patched for PS4 Pro the higher resolution made the not so great LOD really apparent, like pixelated trees in the distance. A bit of depth of field blur would have alleviated that.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That looks decent! Much better than my initial impression of it. HOWEVER, the streets of Novigrad were shockingly absent of NPCs and activity. I really don't know why they chose to showcase Novigrad in a Nintendo sponsored video, it's without a doubt one of the places I knew the system would struggle the most with. It would seem to relieve that they dropped much of the city's activity to retain performance.

Nevertheless, congrats Switch fans, you just received my favorite game of the entire generation (so far)!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That looks decent! Much better than my initial impression of it. HOWEVER, the streets of Novigrad were shockingly absent of NPCs and activity. I really don't know why they chose to showcase Novigrad in a Nintendo sponsored video, it's without a doubt one of the places I knew the system would struggle the most with. It would seem to relieve that they dropped much of the city's activity to retain performance.

Nevertheless, congrats Switch fans, you just received my favorite game of the entire generation (so far)!

They confirmed a few days ago that Novigrad has the same NPC count as the PS4 version.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Novigrad has the same crowd density as the PS4, as confirmed by CDPR in their 40 minute video.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
They confirmed a few days ago that Novigrad has the same NPC count as the PS4 version.
Novigrad has the same crowd density as the PS4, as confirmed by CDPR in their 40 minute video.

Really? That's good, from 12:22 he starts walking the streets and they look pretty barren to me. But I didn't watch the entire video, just skipped around. Good to hear, this is the most impressive thing on the Switch by far imo.

I guess the draw distance might be making it seem a little less dense. Or maybe they're comparing to PC where the density could be much, much higher than on consoles.

Yeah, because look I'm just being honest it does not look like the same activity to me. Maybe some pop-in that's not present in the other versions is going on or something, but even as he gets closer NPCs don't appear to be showing up.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the draw distance might be making it seem a little less dense. Or maybe they're comparing to PC where the density could be much, much higher than on consoles.
Really? That's good, from 12:22 he starts walking the streets and they look pretty barren to me. But I didn't watch the entire video, just skipped around. Good to hear, this is the most impressive thing on the Switch by far imo.

It's not exactly bustling but that might just be the console versions in general...

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
they must have sacrificed paulie from hr to get it running at this level

rip in piece paulie you did not die in vain

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, because look I'm just being honest it does not look like the same activity to me. Maybe some pop-in that's not present in the other versions is going on or something, but even as he gets closer NPCs don't appear to be showing up.

It's also a very dynamic thing. More or less NPCs can show up depending on where you are in the city, what time of day, etc.

But the fact that they confirmed that it's the same as PS4 means we should assume that's true I think.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's also a very dynamic thing. More or less NPCs can show up depending on where you are in the city, what time of day, etc.

But the fact that they confirmed that it's the same as PS4 means we should assume that's true I think.

Yeah, I agree with that it's from the horse's mouth, not some casual analyst.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I bought the complete edition for PC but it didn't grab me. Played for about 5h. Combat was super boring.

Sidequests were the best thing about it for sure.

Maybe handheld play will make the whole experience more appealing to me.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy for everyone that wants to play this on Switch and will now get to, but having played the PC version I think it's far too compromised for me even with the benefit of portability. I definitely noticed tons of frame rate issues, but others have said that may be the upload and I hope it is.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017

To show off places in the game that people will insist on seeing for performance

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
this is impressive, kudos to the team for making this work. I would never spend my money on this when there are much better versions out there that go for dirt cheap. But I guess it's great for ppl who only have a switch.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): trolling over a series of posts
I'm just amazed that they're still showing it even though it looks very bad and runs worse lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for everyone that wants to play this on Switch and will now get to, but having played the PC version I think it's far too compromised for me even with the benefit of portability. I definitely noticed tons of frame rate issues, but others have said that may be the upload and I hope it is.

There's plenty of other footage out there showing almost no framerate issues like these. It's 100% the way they uploaded it.

I'm just amazed that they're still showing it even though it looks very bad and runs worse lol

It runs basically the same as the PS4 version... High 20s-30 most of the time, bigger dips in more problem areas.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Switch version of a AAA modern game looks and runs worse than the other systems? Quite the conundrum. Now why would anyone want to play this version? If only it could be played...away from the TV or something
Hey i'm not saying that nobody will buy this, in fact playing Witcher 3 in a handheld is a good proposition, just amazed that they're showing the game, given how bad it looks and runs, that it might discourage some people from buying.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey i'm not saying that nobody will buy this, in fact playing Witcher 3 in a handheld is a good proposition, just amazed that they're showing the game, given how bad it looks and runs, that it might discourage some people from buying.
What's their other option? To let people imagine it or something? They have to show it off so people know what they're going to play and, I'm sure, for most folk, it'll be just fine. Only forum folk, like on Era, are hardcore about this sort of stuff, not your average gamer. Besides, it's not as if it ran amazingly on the PS4/XB1 anyways

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's their other option? To let people imagine it or something? They have to show it off so people know what they're going to play and, I'm sure, for most folk, it'll be just fine
Yeah, just play the trailer or something but again it looks so bad too on the ONL gamescom trailer lol, I guess they just have to roll with it and people can understand given how weak Switch's spec is

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just play the trailer or something but again it looks so bad too on the ONL gamescom trailer lol, I guess they just have to roll with it and people can understand given how weak Switch's spec is

I believe you are the only person in this thread saying it "looks so bad".

The game looks and runs incredibly well considering the hardware it's on.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Quoting from another thread

The 5 stages of Switch grief:

Stage 1: Denial - "You guys must be really naĂŻve to think that the Switch can run this game."
Stage 2: Anger - "Just because the Switch can run all these other demanding games doesn't mean it can run all of them!"
Stage 3: Bargaining - "Even if it runs on Switch, it'll be unplayable."
Stage 4: Depression - "I just don't understand why anyone would want to play this game on Switch?"
Stage 5: Acceptance - "Okay, you can play this game on Switch... but Cyberpunk 2077 won't work."

I see we have some Stage 4s in here

Oct 26, 2017
For most people, I'm sure they'll be more than happy with how the game looks and performs. Only folk on Era and other forums or console warriors will complain about it looking and running bad

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Said this before, I'll say it again. IDGAF about graphics, fucking Witcher 3 on a Fucking Nintendo Handheld, the madmen actually did it. Of course its the first time I would be playing it but a purchase is warranted based ln principle alone, this deserves all the support it can get.