• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Downloading the demo, really excited to see what it looks like in handheld mode firsthand... Man, that's a horrible icon tho, lol.

Nintendo is putting so much effort into promoting the game too, this is great.
I have a question for those who have beaten the game. I am planning on getting this for PC later this year as it looks stunning on there, but I wanted to play the 2D version as well so will pick this up when it launches just for that . My question is do you think I will be ruining the experience for myself by playing through the 2D version first and the 3D version on PC later on?
Sort of, yeah. The game's presentation, especially cutscenes and voice acting are some of the best I've seen in a japanese game in a long while, so experiencing the story without those first would lessen the impact of a future playthrough a lot, IMO. You're better off doing it the other way or just playing both modes since it's a very long game anyway.

Yesss, I knew these would be free.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I started the demo. Ugh, it's so beautiful. I'm so happy I finally get to play this. Have high hopes.

And the music sounds really good imo.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Downloading the demo, really excited to see what it looks like in handheld mode firsthand... Man, that's a horrible icon tho, lol.

Nintendo is putting so much effort into promoting the game too, this is great.

Sort of, yeah. The game's presentation, especially cutscenes and voice acting are some of the best I've seen in a japanese game in a long while, so experiencing the story without those first would lessen the impact of a future playthrough a lot, IMO. You're better off doing it the other way or just playing both modes since it's a very long game anyway.

Yesss, I knew these would be free.

Thanks, other way around then.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Was the pop-in this horrendous in the PS4 version? Docked, by the way. Not a bother to me but noticeable would be an understatement.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Man, its 2019 and a proper SNES Dragon Quest is coming out next month. Its the 2D version of the 3D version, sure, but its still a proper 16bit Brand New Dragon Quest. I'm loving it.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
PAX West 2019 is now live streaming the Dragon Quest XI S panel. EDIT: It's no longer live.

There's more here and here that I can't post due to Resetera saying I can only post 4 pieces of media.

And GameXplain released more gameplay footage of Dragon Quest XI S in 2D mode from PAX West 2019 today.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Why is it so pixelated like that?

Keep in mind the original 2D version of DQXI is based on the 3DS version which was essentially 240p. It is much more difficult upscaling 2D sprites as opposed to 3D models without redrawing them entirely for a higher resolution or doing a vector without resorting some kind of vaseline-like blurring filter.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I wish the game had a chip tune soundtrack option for the 2D mode. The orchestrated soundtrack seems a little out of place in 2D mode

You have the option to switch from the orchestrated soundtrack to the synthesised MIDI soundtrack. If you're talking about having a soundtrack that sounds like music in a SNES game, I think when you travel to the universes of previous Dragon Quest games, you'll hear that type of soundtrack.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Keep in mind the original 2D version of DQXI is based on the 3DS version which was essentially 240p. It is much more difficult upscaling 2D sprites as opposed to 3D models without redrawing them entirely for a higher resolution or doing a vector without resorting some kind of vaseline-like blurring filter.

Makes sense. I wish we can that CRT effects.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Here's some more footage of Dragon Quest XI S, but in 3D mode, from PAX West 2019.

And here's more Dragon Quest XI S gameplay footage from PAX West 2019 courtesy of GameSpot and Nintendo World Report.

Last edited: