• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I would really like if Nintendo created a series of games that approached graphics design the same way as Zelda: Link's Awakening.
Create a series of games that keep the graphics style as close to the original game being remade as possible but update them with clean simplistic 3D graphics. Don't just use the Links Awakening style whole sale, but use the same approach to graphics design.

Remakes or sequals to games done in a more simplistic retro style. They could keep the main line sequals and still persue full 3D graphics and game play, but this retro style would be like side stories or simplified games.

images

I would love to see some games like Exite Bike, Kid Ikarus, Wreking Crew, Zelda, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Punch-Out, Pilotwings, Mach Rider get remakes or sequals.

Anyone else interested in a Nintendo Retro-Bit series of games. What game would you like to see?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about F-Zero, DK, or whatever, but the engine/style could be used for other top down games.
For the Frog the Bell tolls would be an interesting one.
M O T H E R 3

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I think we'll see more original IP's, but more in the vein of something like BoxBoy (thought likely with a bit more of a budget).

Smaller, risky, unique things.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Each game has different needs, Nintendo is at their best when they create and taylor a new artstyle per individual game. Treating art direction like some sort of factory preset doesnt work (because of many reasons, one of them being the actual artists involved) and kind of depressing to work on, tbh

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Holy shit yes Earthbound like this would be the BEST.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
this game is so beautiful
i was just imagining what a mother 3 remake would looks like that took some elements from this aesthetics but with clay figures instead of high-gloss plastic dolls
it would be amazing

OP
OP
OsakaDon

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Each game has different needs, Nintendo is at their best when they create and taylor a new artstyle per individual game. Treating art direction like some sort of factory preset doesnt work (because of many reasons, one of them being the actual artists involved) and kind of depressing to work on, tbh

Thats exactly what I'm getting at, create a series of games that keep the graphics style as close to the original game being remade as possible but update them with clean simplistic 3D graphics. Don't just use the Links Awakening style whole sale, but use the same approach to graphics disign.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Mother is the correct answer. A Trilogy remake with a similar art direct to this (but more clay than toy) would be beautiful. Nintendo won't do it though.

For the Frog the Bell Tolls also makes a lot of sense. They'll have Prince Richard's model done already!

rokero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like they idea they already did an exite bike one for Wii wich was really good they should re release it

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thats exactly what I'm getting at, create a series of games that keep the graphics style as close to the original game being remade as possible but update them with clean simplistic 3D graphics. Don't just use the Links Awakening style whole sale, but use the same approach to graphics design.
Its a bit of a dodgy term to use words like "simple" and "retro" when it comes to this art direction though. Its extremely complex and difficult to pull off in ways photorealism isnt, people get that confused all the time. Making characters look like toys or dioramas isnt retro ... hell, photorealism is actually retro, haha. Depending on the game, its camera needs, vfx needs, menus, number of players, etc, etc it may be a better idea to go with a more conventional look.

Semantics aside, I know what you mean. Clean shapes, pleasant colors, etc ... but I get the impression that people think this takes less time and no, anything that looks good takes a giant effort, thats just how it is.

Oct 27, 2017
My dream remake would be Earthbound 2 in this playdo style. It's something that'll never happen, I know, but it would be perfect. It would honestly look better on EB than Zelda, to be honest.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always say yes to anything that brings me back old and/or niche Nintendo franchises back. I like and miss almost all of them.

OP
OP
OsakaDon

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Its a bit of a dodgy term to use words like "simple" and "retro" when it comes to this art direction though. Its extremely complex and difficult to pull off in ways photorealism isnt, people get that confused all the time. Making characters look like toys or dioramas isnt retro ... hell, photorealism is actually retro, haha. Depending on the game, its camera needs, vfx needs, menus, number of players, etc, etc it may be a better idea to go with a more conventional look.

Semantics aside, I know what you mean. Clean shapes, pleasant colors, etc ... but I get the impression that people think this takes less time and no, anything that looks good takes a giant effort, thats just how it is.

I mean 'retro' in the way the game is presented. Maintain the same game play, graphics style and general look of the game. Update controls and perhaps even annoying and just outdated elements of games in some instances even. Like passwords, limited continues, constantly respawning enemies and things like that.

Yes you have the right idea, simpler shape, appealing colours and such.

Yea, Mother and Star Tropics would be so lovely to see redone.