• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Now, I understand a lot of people are going to say "LOL they don't owe anyone anything!" but this is one of the few games I can think of that was designed to be played in such an egregious way that Yes.... they do owe us. And since they have been going crazy with ports and remasters, it is the perfect time to give people the game they should have had back in 2012.

For those of you who don't know, KI: Uprising is a great game full of spectacle and has an engaging gameplay loop. It is also one of the few games I have consistently cursed at while playing. Why? Because it is so uncomfortable to play given that you have to aim with the stylus while somehow trying to fight enemies both on ground and in the air. It is that way because of the poor design choices of the 3DS having a single analog pad and the developers had to make a game like that somehow work on the handheld... only at the price of being hell to play.

I found the game appealing enough to put up with the discomfort, but it cramps your hands terribly if you are planning a long gameplay session. After getting through it, it was so bad that I didn't touch it again. The infamous, pain inducing control style has put people off from finishing it or even ever giving it a chance. It has not only harmed the chances of it ever getting a sequel, but those who are fans of the game can't even experience the simple joy of playing it without the sheer discomfort that we all know to well with the game.

So please Nintendo, release the game on Switch with extras... the biggest one being that you can finally play it like a damn game instead of it being an exercise in learning how to use and position your hands in unnatural ways. I really do think it can be one of the best Switch games and give the Kid Icarus franchise another chance since Uprising had so much potential.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
LOL they don't owe anyone anything!

also i though port begging wasn't allowed

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That title tricked me. Too many capitals, keywords and proper grammar. Curse you OP

Also they don't owe us jack. Games don't appear out of thin air.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
begging for something from Nintendo that relates to Kid Icarus? you get this:

fb9.jpg

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously im getting sick to death of remasters/re releases on the switch. Can we get new games please? How about a new kid icarus? A reboot?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Even if they updated the controls, it won't change the fact that cthe game is practically entirely fodder.
It was long and overbloated with enemies, stages and features. That could work in a Smash game but that was hindering the experience.

Oct 28, 2017
Said it before and I'll say it again. Game was designed to be a pointer based console game like Sin and Punishment 2.

It was lovingly crafted and full of personality. But I could barely play it in its current form. My hands would cramp up after just a few minutes. Carpal tunnel city.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Said it before and I'll say it again. Game was designed to be a pointer based console game like Sin and Punishment 2.

It was lovingly crafted and full of personality. But I could barely play it in its current form. My hands would cramp up after just a few minutes. Carpal tunnel city.

Very much this. The Switch is not a comfortable console to play one-handed.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Despite the fact that is one of my favourite games ever, I don't think it's necessary a remaster, it's a game well tied and design for the 3ds.
I want a new Kid Icarus game in the same vein of Uprising, that's for sure

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Yes I would play it again wtih good, fast & responsive gyro control to keep the difficulty curve as close as possible to the original. 3 games in one game it was.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
A version of that game needs to exist that doesn't control terribly.
They had to seel it with a damn stand because it was so awful!

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The only platform that KI:U would work on is on PC, maybe the Wii U with the Wii remote. It's not happening.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those 3ds game that is so clearly designed around the 3DS that I just don't see it ever happening. Would be a lot of work and would fundamentally alter a lot of stuff.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
One game isn't good enough! I need the same game, REMASTERED! YOU OWE ME!

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
No, they don't "owe" us anything, but i would absolutely love one, if Sakurai would be involved.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Owes" is not really the right way to go about it, but I will definitely co sign any sort of remaster happening. This game deserves to be played by more people. It's a masterpiece. Plus its online mode really didn't get to properly flourish confined to the 3DS.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, the title got me...

Shure. I get that it was Sin & Punishment like... but the first S&P was in the n64....

We have 2 sticks, 1 touch screen, and gyro.
In my humble opinion the switch would do wonders for this game. (i just could hot finish it, it liked the gameplay, but the levels got longer and longer, and at the same time i could only bear the controlls for so long before my hand truely began to hurt.
Kinda ridiculous when the team gets that the controlls are hurting people...and instead of adapting, they just put a plastic stand in the box....)

When were at it: port Sin & Punishment, as a Pack to the switch. Aiming via Gyro + a button to reposition

Aaaaand... whats the talk about posibility to use the Joy con Camera as an pointer?
As far as i understand, it has 2 IR emitters, and senses the depth and shave via the reflected infrared light.
In other words:
if we have a sensor bar, or 2 light sources, it should in software be able to dissable the 2 emitters, and the camera would essentialy have the same function as the Wii Remote IR Sensor?
Yeah, nintendo would need to sell sensor bars... but honestly, the "sensor bar" is jsut 2 bright infra red diodes.
It should be a cheap 10$ piece, that gets power via usb, so that you can connect it to your tv.
This would open the door to sooo many wii ports. and a lot of (3)DS ports. (pointer controlls)

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I have no idea how people got hand cramps from playing KIU. I 9.0ed the entire game and never had any control issues.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I can respect Sakurai for not franchising Kid Icarus Uprising. But please, port the game if a remaster is not on the cards.

This is a criminally underrated game with one of the most enjoyable stories ever. It has a special Sakurai charm to it.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL at the thread whining. Some people can't notice sarcasm, right?

I think Kid Icarus: Uprising should have been a home console game from start, 3DS button config wasn't really the best choice for it's gameplay.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
My most wanted rerelease. I really want it! However, I understand Sakurai's logic about how it would be difficult, the environments are large and would require a lot of work to make them look nice moving from 3DS to Switch.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I want this. Most people want this.

Kid Icarus Uprising is an incredible game brought down several notches for 80% of the people that played it by it's control scheme.

I forced myself to keep playing despite my wrist pain that followed after each play session.

I would pay top price for another opportunity to play it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those 3ds game that is so clearly designed around the 3DS that I just don't see it ever happening. Would be a lot of work and would fundamentally alter a lot of stuff.

Actually I feel like it's the opposite, it was designed around Wii-style pointer controls and explicitly NOT the 3DS. Which is why the controls didn't work comfortably for the majority of people.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it'll happen eventually. And as I mentioned in the other remake thread, this time, we can have it without the abysmal control scheme. My hands still ache trying to make that shit work.

Actually I feel like it's the opposite, it was designed around Wii-style pointer controls and explicitly NOT the 3DS. Which is why the controls didn't work comfortably for the majority of people.

Amen!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why couldn't aiming work with a right analogue stick?

Simply put, the game assumes a level of both speed and control for aiming you could not ever hope to reproduce with a analogue stick. You could probably make it through the lower difficulties, but it wouldn't feel great. The higher difficulties would probably become functionally impossible.

The honest answer is that the best chance of KIU getting a console version died with the Wii U, because you really need a Wii mote like pointer or mouse to be able to play it. I honestly don't really know if gyro would be good enough either, maybe.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Put every game on Switch!

I kinda hope that Alienware Switch knockoff comes out eventually, it would be awesome to have a bunch of PC games in a Switch format.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
The game's high SD production values are probably its greatest obstacle to any chance of being ported to an HD system.

The amount of work necessary to update every asset, model and texture would be insane.
I'm no game expert, but I bet the developers got away with a metric shit-load of cut corners thanks to the 3DS' low resolution.

Bringing those lofty production values to an HD console would be a massive undertaking, and I'm doubtful Nintendo would go to such great lengths for such game, but I would like to be wrong.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't owe us anything, but also Nintendo absolutely should make a version of KI Uprising that doesn't feel horrible to play.