• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing through Paper Mario: The Origami King and my god does that game just keep going. It is an absolutely massive game and I'm not sure if the gameplay loop and exploration really warrant it to be this big. There are some really fun and cute bits but this game absolutely destroys the completionist in me. I'm 15+ hours in at Shroom City and I only feel halfway done.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing through Paper Mario: The Origami King and my god does that game just keep going. It is an absolutely massive game and I'm not sure if the gameplay loop and exploration really warrant it to be this big. There are some really fun and cute bits but this game absolutely destroys the completionist in me. I'm 15+ hours in at Shroom City and I only feel halfway done.

that sounds about right for a paper mario game. usually around 30hr give or take

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
that sounds about right for a paper mario game. usually around 30hr give or take
Without the true RPG combat elements it feels like it is stretched really thin through those 30 hours. I think the section I am in is just exacerbating my issues with the game due to how much ground there is to cover and how much backtracking there is.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Without the true RPG combat elements it feels like it is stretched really thin through those 30 hours. I think the section I am in is just exacerbating my issues with the game due to how much ground there is to cover and how much backtracking there is.

This is exactly how I felt. The actual battle system without RPG elements didn't justify the length. I had enough fun during the first 10-15 hours and then it really out stayed its welcome after that.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
This is exactly how I felt. The actual battle system without RPG elements didn't justify the length. I had enough fun during the first 10-15 hours and then it really out stayed its welcome after that.

I felt the writing, the set piece boss battling, the soundtrack, and the variety of locales kept me nicely invested and having fun throughout, but I completely understand this position

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with this SOOO much! Origami King should have been a much shorter game. It has a lot of good qualities, but the gameplay and especially the combat start to drag pretty quickly.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I'm planning to get the lady the Switch OLED for her birthday. I'm 50/50 about getting me self one since I always play docked

What do you think Nintendo fam?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to get the lady the Switch OLED for her birthday. I'm 50/50 about getting me self one since I always play docked

What do you think Nintendo fam?
The OLED is a fantastic upgrade if you play portable but if you mainly stick to Docked, then yeah there's not much incentive - unless you find the upgrade makes you want to play portable more.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
The OLED is a fantastic upgrade if you play portable but if you mainly stick to Docked, then yeah there's not much incentive - unless you find the upgrade makes you want to play portable more.
I will NEVER play portable with the Switch. My massive hands doesn't get comfy holding it

This is why it is always docked and I use nothing but the pro controller

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst it's nice we're going to get updates on Bayonetta and Mario Rabbids, these could have easily been included during a normal Direct.

What makes me more sad is that this pretty much confirms Nintendo has no other first party games to be suprise announced for later this year. Once Splatoon has released, all we've got is yet another Pokemon game (I'm not a fan of the franchise)

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Whilst it's nice we're going to get updates on Bayonetta and Mario Rabbids, these could have easily been included during a normal Direct.

What makes me more sad is that this pretty much confirms Nintendo has no other first party games to be suprise announced for later this year. Once Splatoon has released, all we've got is yet another Pokemon game (I'm not a fan of the franchise)

It could be that Nintendo is going to count on Bayo and Mario+Rabbids to carry the mantle for October and/or December.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

I don't think this is the case. January, June, September have always been the "months of big Directs" which means that there is still an absolute chance that late September has a 40 minute Direct to give us a glimpse at the rest of 2022 and one or two teasers for early 2023. It'd make sense.

As NotLiquid has mentioned a few times (here and other threads), Nintendo has already done the job of laying out this summer. They did their mini-showcases, they already had 2 major titles in June (Mario Strikers/Fire Emblem), they have 2 more titles in July (LIVE A LIVE/Xenoblade Chronicles 3) and then this summer ends with Splatoon 3. In their eyes, there's probably no reason for a 40 minute Direct yet since there's been so much happening for them release wise this summer, thus giving us a mini-25 minute Nintendo Direct Mini. And to be honest, it's fine. We truly can't complain because it's not like we're in a summer drought with Nintendo. There's enough stuff coming out to keep people happy and it's not like they're just leaving us in a confusing situation where there's nothing on the horizon for the Switch.

As of right now, Fall only has Pokemon in November. There is absolutely 0 chance that Nintendo doesn't have at least 4-5 games (even if they're ports) ready for October, November, December that aren't just Pokemon related.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't think this is the case. January, June, September have always been the "months of big Directs" which means that there is still an absolute chance that late September has a 40 minute Direct to give us a glimpse at the rest of 2022 and one or two teasers for early 2023. It'd make sense.

As NotLiquid has mentioned a few times (here and other threads), Nintendo has already done the job of laying out this summer. They did their mini-showcases, they already had 2 major titles in June (Mario Strikers/Fire Emblem), they have 2 more titles in July (LIVE A LIVE/Xenoblade Chronicles 3) and then this summer ends with Splatoon 3. In their eyes, there's probably no reason for a 40 minute Direct yet since there's been so much happening for them release wise this summer, thus giving us a mini-25 minute Nintendo Direct Mini. And to be honest, it's fine. We truly can't complain because it's not like we're in a summer drought with Nintendo. There's enough stuff coming out to keep people happy and it's not like they're just leaving us in a confusing situation where there's nothing on the horizon for the Switch.

As of right now, Fall only has Pokemon in November. There is absolutely 0 chance that Nintendo doesn't have at least 4-5 games (even if they're ports) ready for October, November, December that aren't just Pokemon related.
And heck M+R spark of hope will likely take one of those slots and be in this

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
So no BotW sequel until game awards at the earliest? I mean the next time we see it we get a title and beefy trailer. That sort of thing at the end of a Sept direct would just suck all the oxygen from the room and overshadow everything, no?

Nintendo as a whole has been less interested in the show in recent years tho…

:(

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

I wish I could agree with all of this, but I think if Nintendo did have some games for Sept - Dec still to be revealed, they would have done so during their summer/E3 Direct?

Leaving it as late as a September Direct to announce new games coming out just a couple of months after seems like a very short amount of time, but honestly who the hell knows with Nintendo at this point.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
So no BotW sequel until game awards at the earliest? I mean the next time we see it we get a title and beefy trailer. That sort of thing at the end of a Sept direct would just suck all the oxygen from the room and overshadow everything, no?

Nintendo as a whole has been less interested in the show in recent years tho…

:(

There's still a chance of a September direct. They could show us some footage or the name there.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Oh there will def be a Sept direct, and with it 1-2 more substantial Nintendo published games coming in 2022, but now I'm not sure about new Zelda sequel reveal stuff coming as a show-ending stinger. It feels like it's own Goliath at this point?

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
People keep saying Nintendo have a "game a month" like everybody plays JRPGs or wants to buy Splatoon for a third time, or a Pokemon that does some of what people liked about Arceus. I'm happy that people feel well fed with the platform but my expectations for this are rock bottom. Give me a major third party title that actually works on the platform, performs well and isn't eons later than superior versions and maybe I'll change my mind. If they have GoldenEye or something I guess I'll get briefly excited about it before I remember that the original game feels antiquated by modern standards. Hell, if we're lucky, the Nintendo version will still be 15fps, and if we're luckier still - it'll be Xbox exclusive. People are gonna be clawing their eyes out with excitement if there are games like Persona or Red Dead Redemption and I can only assume those people haven't played them before elsewhere. Indies, I can see myself giving a fair shake, at least they'll be new. I hope I'm wrong and its a decent 25 minutes. I've barely touched my Switch lately and when I do it's just disappointing. Don't come at me or tell me to sell it or whatever, if you're happy - I'm happy you're happy.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Life as a Nintendo fan is just a constant ride isn't it
FRSa3nTXIAMTgjX.jpg:large

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to finally see the full Zelda reveal and with E3 dead Nintendo wasted no time crushing that hope. I know it'll come eventually but I'm sick of waiting. "E3" time felt like a sure thing. Nintendo was the main reason I hated to hear E3 was dead because I knew they'd be this way.

M_a_X

Mar 20, 2019

Not sure if this is the right place but Zavvi just posted this on Instagram. The add seems to have disappeared since. It might just be new merch. But could also be a legends arceus sequel.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if this is the right place but Zavvi just posted this on Instagram. The add seems to have disappeared since. It might just be new merch. But could also be a legends arceus sequel.

It's Zavvi, it's almost certainly just a limited merch line of t shirts or a pair of pokemon shoes

And look, I know pokemon outputs mainline games at an unreal pace for the current era, but lol at the idea of a Legends sequel already, come on.
DLC maybe, but I stand by T-SHIRTS, SHOES, £99 APRICORN BALL MODELS

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone ever replaced the battery on an OG 3DS? Mine has expanded and I have the replacement battery in hand as well as the recommended screwdriver, but the last screw is stripped and will not budge, I'm not sure what my options are at this point, as I can't get to the screw with pliers like I normally would in this case.

MarbledJelly

May 24, 2022
I am unsure of how true this is, but according to someone on reddit, grubby said on his podcast today that nintendo will have another mini direct next month with first party stuff. I'm fairly certain it's untrue but I don't listen to podcasts so i figured i'd mention it and see if anyone knows any better.

Jan 29, 2018
I am unsure of how true this is, but according to someone on reddit, grubby said on his podcast today that nintendo will have another mini direct next month with first party stuff. I'm fairly certain it's untrue but I don't listen to podcasts so i figured i'd mention it and see if anyone knows any better.
He said it would make sense to him if they did that. He didn't say they would.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what's happening with Bayonetta. Are they just gonna announce the release date on a random Twitter post?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This Direct mini delivered y'all, can you fucking believe it?
It could have just been a Battle Network announcement logo and I'd have been happy lol. But seriously, Im super hyped to play the series again, Capcom's been on a hot streak getting a nice portion of their games on newer platforms. There's still so many left to go, but I'll take what I can get!

Status
Not open for further replies.