• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad that I asked this question because seeing all of these responses is making me more excited to get this collection (physically as well!). What's Capcom Arcade Stadium though? I haven't heard much about it
Capcom Arcade Stadium (1&2) are 30~ retro game collections that include a number of Capcom arcade games - from their first game (Vulgus) to a majority of the 80s and 90s output.
Unfortunately due to licensing, they've not managed to port all games - stuff like the Marvel games, Alien Vs Predator, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, The Punisher, Little Nemo, Willow etc. are absent, but Capcom created games are present - so stuff like 1942 (the entire series, for the first time ever 1944 and XX get ported), Street Fighter 2, Alpha series, Mega Man Power Battle/Fighters, Black Tiger, Son Son, Higemaru, Battle Circuit, Captain Commando etc.

Basically if you want a way to play a decent chunk of Capcom's arcade output, these collections are a good way of doing that. Only minor issue is the weird overlap the collections have on existing Capcom collections - Street Fighter games were ported in their own collection, the Darkstalkers stuff is getting ports in the above fighting collection, Final Fight and other brawlers were ported in their own collection and so on... Its just a pity that I cant play all the games via Arcade Stadium, as it'd beat using a half dozen different collections!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the rumoured Goldeneye release will turn up during the next Direct instead of the Xbox show.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Capcom Arcade Stadium (1&2) are 30~ retro game collections that include a number of Capcom arcade games - from their first game (Vulgus) to a majority of the 80s and 90s output.
Unfortunately due to licensing, they've not managed to port all games - stuff like the Marvel games, Alien Vs Predator, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, The Punisher, Little Nemo, Willow etc. are absent, but Capcom created games are present - so stuff like 1942 (the entire series, for the first time ever 1944 and XX get ported), Street Fighter 2, Alpha series, Mega Man Power Battle/Fighters, Black Tiger, Son Son, Higemaru, Battle Circuit, Captain Commando etc.

Basically if you want a way to play a decent chunk of Capcom's arcade output, these collections are a good way of doing that. Only minor issue is the weird overlap the collections have on existing Capcom collections - Street Fighter games were ported in their own collection, the Darkstalkers stuff is getting ports in the above fighting collection, Final Fight and other brawlers were ported in their own collection and so on... Its just a pity that I cant play all the games via Arcade Stadium, as it'd beat using a half dozen different collections!
Oh shit! This sounds cool as hell, I'm assuming it's digital only?
I wonder if the rumoured Goldeneye release will turn up during the next Direct instead of the Xbox show.
I fucking hope so. This is the one thing that so many of us want at this point and it's still somehow MIA despite the achievements leak

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit! This sounds cool as hell, I'm assuming it's digital only?

I fucking hope so. This is the one thing that so many of us want at this point and it's still somehow MIA despite the achievements leak
Arcade Stadium is digital only yes. You can buy the games in packs, or just buy them individually. Im a huge Capcom nut (I have 160+ hours in the first Arcade Stadium) so Im getting all the games for the second one as well!)

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

VGC: “[Alanah] Pearce’s comments match with what VGC has been told, that Nintendo is planning a Direct later this month.” News - Nintendo

In case it was in doubt, here it is. As I said in the other thread, I guess Nintendo wants to put some distance between them & Summer Game Fest. Source: Video Games Chronicle

This VGC site also told us Banjo would be making an appearance during the Microsoft show yesterday :(

Naru

May 11, 2019
I just played and finished SMB1 and SMB2: Lost Levels as well as SMB2 USA on the SNES app (Super Mario All-Stars). I went to SMB3 and felt like the controls were a bit floaty or the was some lag? It didn't feel as snappy so I went into the NES app and started SMB3 there and the controls are way tighter in the original. Is this normal?

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just played and finished SMB1 and SMB2: Lost Levels as well as SMB2 USA on the SNES app (Super Mario All-Stars). I went to SMB3 and felt like the controls were a bit floaty or the was some lag? It didn't feel as snappy so I went into the NES app and started SMB3 there and the controls are way tighter in the original. Is this normal?
Cant say I remember the floatyness the last time I played Allstars 3, but the Allstars games did fuck up certain physics in SMB1 & 2 (real SMB2, not that Doki Doki palette swap) so honestly, wouldnt surprise me that they changed some stuff in 3 as well.

Saw this post on r/NintendoSwitch so I thought I'd bring it up here to see how you guys feel, would you guys be down if Nintendo brought back unlockable characters for their games (kinda in the vein of Smash Ultimate or past Nintendo games like Melee)?
Its the eternal question... have unlockables tied to single player progress or have it all unlocked so people focusing on MP dont have to play SP mode... I'm kinda a fan of dividing the two options - meaningful unlocks for single player mode but everything unlocked for multi player - as some just dont want to be playing the AI for prolonged amounts of time just to get their favourite character,

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I think if we don't here by tomorrow then it's not this week. I'm not sure they will do it on the last week of June (but who knows this is Nintendo). Next week seems more likely. Guessing direct dates even with leaked info is difficult as Nintendo keeps things close to their chest till around a week before when things start slipping out.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
thanks yo, is this where the primary nintendo discussion is happening? As in this replaced the Nintendo General Discussion thread?
Yep! This is the home for Era's Nintendo's fans. I spoke to the mods about bringing it back after a few months and now we're here. This is the NGD thread (for now). As it gets more active, we'll be able to make another OT and so on. For now, I update the OT monthly with news, gifts, updates and so on to keep it fresh/new

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Yep! This is the home for Era's Nintendo's fans. I spoke to the mods about bringing it back after a few months and now we're here. This is the NGD thread (for now). As it gets more active, we'll be able to make another OT and so on. For now, I update the OT monthly with news, gifts, updates and so on to keep it fresh/new
Hell yeah, grats on carrying the torch.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Hell yeah, grats on carrying the torch.
Thank you! I'm trying my best to do what I can and trying to bring Nintendo fans together again, and for what it's worth, I'm just happy that people are using this thread. It really does mean a lot knowing that there are people who legitimately want this OT to be a thing and I just hope we can keep on growing as a community

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am surprised Nintendo didn't try following up on Drill Dozer. From what I understand, it was noticed enough in 2006 to get some noticeable fanfare despite being on GBA, but never tried capitalizing on a potential new IP to get more interesting ideas from going forward. Rather a shame.

itLYtBg.jpg

The only Game Freak game I've played to completion. I always hoped another one would come around. Even hoping that elephant game they made would be some kind of cool spiritual successor.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Saw this post on r/NintendoSwitch so I thought I'd bring it up here to see how you guys feel, would you guys be down if Nintendo brought back unlockable characters for their games (kinda in the vein of Smash Ultimate or past Nintendo games like Melee)?
The issue with something like Battle League is that the number of characters is so low already no way they could have left anything to be unlockables. It has a general lack of content, even before you get to how that content is distributed/used in the game.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

I would love it, but I understand the hassles it can create, so I propose a compromise: they are unlockable by default, but there should be an easily visible setting where you can just Unlock Everything right off the bat if you want.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Uh.. there's an official PSN store page for a specific game that could possibly be announced at the Nintendo Direct. I'll spoil tag it for those who may not want to be spoiled
unknown.png

P7VdPZHSJeW9FCKptBTBMcdo.png

FVLShzrUEAIIE__.jpg

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The issue with something like Battle League is that the number of characters is so low already no way they could have left anything to be unlockables. It has a general lack of content, even before you get to how that content is distributed/used in the game.
You're not wrong! I just was talking about Nintendo games in general like the Mario Strikers, Tennis, Golf etc having unlockables you know?
I would love it, but I understand the hassles it can create, so I propose a compromise: they are unlockable by default, but there should be an easily visible setting where you can just Unlock Everything right off the bat if you want.
I like the sound of this!

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I just want the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters on Switch. :(

It still baffles me they didn't LAUNCH on the thing let alone not even be released on it by now.

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you! I'm trying my best to do what I can and trying to bring Nintendo fans together again, and for what it's worth, I'm just happy that people are using this thread. It really does mean a lot knowing that there are people who legitimately want this OT to be a thing and I just hope we can keep on growing as a community
You're doing a great job! I look at this thread every day and make it a point to post from time to time

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Ur doing a good job

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Any treehouse though?

That's the bigger thing than the direct date. The people mentioning the potential leak haven't talked about it so I wonder if its gone

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Uh.. there's an official PSN store page for a specific game that could possibly be announced at the Nintendo Direct. I'll spoil tag it for those who may not want to be spoiled
unknown.png

P7VdPZHSJeW9FCKptBTBMcdo.png

FVLShzrUEAIIE__.jpg

They were talking about this on the latest Nintendo Voice Chat podcast. Unfortunately I don't know a single thing about it.

I'm going to take an incredibly wild guess here and say it's a tactics game?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
They were talking about this on the latest Nintendo Voice Chat podcast. Unfortunately I don't know a single thing about it.

Yes. Do you know Final Fantasy Tactics? It's the predecessor to it. They're both made by a lot of the same people.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
You're doing a great job! I look at this thread every day and make it a point to post from time to time

Thank you for the kind words! I'm really appreciative of the fact that people enjoy, let alone use, this thread and I simply wanted to see if it was even possible to bring new (or old) Nintendo fans together. So to see that this is slowly happening in real time is such a fantastic feeling and I just hope that people realize anyone is welcome into this OT. And if I can do anything to try and make it better, I'd be more than welcome to hear everybody out for suggestions. Whether it's trying to do weekly game nights, adding stuff to the OT like having a public friend code wall (of course people would have to request being on there so) or something like that, I'm legitimately down because I simply want this OT/growing community to be a positive, friendly, enjoyable and welcoming community.

let3eipkej961.png

A treehouse would be nice.
Yes, yes it would be!
Any treehouse though?

That's the bigger thing than the direct date. The people mentioning the potential leak haven't talked about it so I wonder if its gone
I assume they'll announce a Treehouse with the Direct whenever that announcement comes

Yes
By the way, I put your Nintendo eShop OT into the OP of this thread just so you know!

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the kind words! I'm really appreciative of the fact that people enjoy, let alone use, this thread and I simply wanted to see if it was even possible to bring new (or old) Nintendo fans together. So to see that this is slowly happening in real time is such a fantastic feeling and I just hope that people realize anyone is welcome into this OT. And if I can do anything to try and make it better, I'd be more than welcome to hear everybody out for suggestions. Whether it's trying to do weekly game nights, adding stuff to the OT like having a public friend code wall (of course people would have to request being on there so) or something like that, I'm legitimately down because I simply want this OT/growing community to be a positive, friendly, enjoyable and welcoming community.

let3eipkej961.png

Yes, yes it would be!

I assume they'll announce a Treehouse with the Direct whenever that announcement comes

Yes
By the way, I put your Nintendo eShop OT into the OP of this thread just so you know!

No problem at all! I'll add to the pile of people thanking you for creating this thread. I didn't really post much in the last one cos it was far too fast paced for me, but this one at least seems manageable.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Pixel Remasters will come eventually. I'll actually end up playing them on PS because of trophies but I think they'll be best on Switch. They'll look so beautiful on the smaller screen. As someone who has finished 1-5, you're all in for a treat.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Just thinking about all the rumours we've had lately for games coming to the Switch, obviously only IF these turn out to be true, the back half of 2022 could end up being insane for the console

Xenoblade 3
Splatoon 3
Bayonetta 3
Advance Wars
Mario Rabbids 2
Pokemon
Metroid Prime remaster or remake (maybe)
New Fire Emblem game (maybe)

Yeah that's too much, no way this is happening 😂

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'll also say thank you both, IDontBeatGames and Jonnykong for flying the Nintendo flag. Though that eShop thread is a threat to my finances.

giphy.gif
You're welcome!!
63fe969d3adb10c19cb5d6999e3e5ec8.gif

Just thinking about all the rumours we've had lately for games coming to the Switch, obviously only IF these turn out to be true, the back half of 2022 could end up being insane for the console

Xenoblade 3
Splatoon 3
Bayonetta 3
Advance Wars
Mario Rabbids 2
Pokemon
Metroid Prime remaster or remake (maybe)
New Fire Emblem game (maybe)

Yeah that's too much, no way this is happening 😂
I know we're more than likely not gonna see Pokemon Scarlet/Violet considering they just got their blowout like 2 weeks ago but, you think we're gonna finally see some Pokemon Legends Arceus DLC?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a rule I'm generally not fond of traditional character unlocks in multiplayer games. To me, that stuff has always struck me as a deflection. In Mario Kart 8 (Wii U), the character unlocking progress didn't circumvent the fact that it was laboriously repetitious, and something I'd rather not do. I somewhat enjoyed character unlocking in Smash Bros. Ultimate, but that was strictly in the vacuum of its single player campaign. Whenever I left that campaign to play multiplayer I'd generally look up the unlock criteria of the character I actually wanted to play and then beeline it towards the process. I didn't feel "rewarded" for having gone through the process, I just wanted to be able to jump into the action to play with my friends. This was even worse in the older games; imagine planning a launch party with your friends when Smash Bros. Brawl released, only to find out that the hyped up characters they used to sell the game - Snake and Sonic - are hidden behind the arbitrary criteria of a ~8 hour long single player campaign (Snake can at least be unlocked early through Shadow Moses VS rounds but Sonic has no such luck being done in a timely manner).

Mario Golf 64's character unlocking had a similar problem; character unlocking is its own mode but it still relies on the player having to replay courses from its main campaign. However, in that case I believe that they had the characters unlocked from the start in multiplayer, which is at least reasonable enough. Still, as much as I don't like making assumptions about people, I genuinely feel that those who want multiplayer games to feature old school arbitrary checks to character unlocks are projecting the actual issue; that being that the games fundamentally lack the perceived content that can sustain more than 20 hours of offline play, or because they simply don't find the core compelling enough as a pick-up-and-play experience that you can return to just because you find joy in playing it (as someone who played a lot of Charged I can attest that the reason I banged my head against the wall for a week to beat Strikers Cup was not because of the promise of Petey Pirahna).

I think in general the latter camp plays into the stigma of a lot of multiplayer games in general contend with from a discourse perspective. Even if we ignore the fact that Battle League probably should've had more meat on its bones given its full MSRP launch, these types of arguments were still just as endemic for Switch Sports, which pockets of the internet would similarly point a picture of as a game wrought with wasted potential despite always being positioned as a modest release.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
You know, something that I have seen is how much some people get annoyed at Xenoblade and Fire Emblem getting games constantly instead of a new Star Fox, or F-Zero or Wario Land or Donkey Kong or whatever.
Yeah, because 2 Nintendo studios that are used to mostly just make JRPG's definitely could be making platformers or Racing games instead of JRPG'S (?)

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Pixel Remasters will come eventually. I'll actually end up playing them on PS because of trophies but I think they'll be best on Switch. They'll look so beautiful on the smaller screen. As someone who has finished 1-5, you're all in for a treat.

I may have to double dip when they arrive because I want trophies/big screen gameplay but think they'll look fabulous on the OLED screen.

I'm slowly wearing my husband down on buying an OLED TV but the price tag just needs to drop a little tiny bit more. Thanks Nintendo.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
You're welcome!!
63fe969d3adb10c19cb5d6999e3e5ec8.gif

I know we're more than likely not gonna see Pokemon Scarlet/Violet considering they just got their blowout like 2 weeks ago but, you think we're gonna finally see some Pokemon Legends Arceus DLC?

Oh I don't know about Arceus dlc

I'm not really much of a Pokemon fan so I haven't put any thought into it tbh 😂

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
As a rule I'm generally not fond of traditional character unlocks in multiplayer games. To me, that stuff has always struck me as a deflection. In Mario Kart 8 (Wii U), the character unlocking progress didn't circumvent the fact that it was laboriously repetitious, and something I'd rather not do. I somewhat enjoyed character unlocking in Smash Bros. Ultimate, but that was strictly in the vacuum of its single player campaign. Whenever I left that campaign to play multiplayer I'd generally look up the unlock criteria of the character I actually wanted to play and then beeline it towards the process. I didn't feel "rewarded" for having gone through the process, I just wanted to be able to jump into the action to play with my friends. This was even worse in the older games; imagine planning a launch party with your friends when Smash Bros. Brawl released, only to find out that the hyped up characters they used to sell the game - Snake and Sonic - are hidden behind the arbitrary criteria of a ~8 hour long single player campaign (Snake can at least be unlocked early through Shadow Moses VS rounds but Sonic has no such luck being done in a timely manner).

Mario Golf 64's character unlocking had a similar problem; character unlocking is its own mode but it still relies on the player having to replay courses from its main campaign. However, in that case I believe that they had the characters unlocked from the start in multiplayer, which is at least reasonable enough. Still, as much as I don't like making assumptions about people, I genuinely feel that those who want multiplayer games to feature old school arbitrary checks to character unlocks are projecting the actual issue; that being that the games fundamentally lack the perceived content that can sustain more than 20 hours of offline play, or because they simply don't find the core compelling enough as a pick-up-and-play experience that you can return to just because you find joy in playing it (as someone who played a lot of Charged I can attest that the reason I banged my head against the wall for a week to beat Strikers Cup was not because of the promise of Petey Pirahna).

I think in general the latter camp plays into the stigma of a lot of multiplayer games in general contend with from a discourse perspective. Even if we ignore the fact that Battle League probably should've had more meat on its bones given its full MSRP launch, these types of arguments were still just as endemic for Switch Sports, which pockets of the internet would similarly point a picture of as a game wrought with wasted potential despite always being positioned as a modest release.
Wow, this was worded so much better than I could've ever said it. You're absolutely right, especially on the "the games fundamentally lack the perceived content that can sustain more than 20 hours of offline play, or because they simply don't find the core compelling enough as a pick-up-and-play experience that you can return to just because you find joy in playing it."

You see this type of concern all of the time when Nintendo announces Sports games or when they announced Mario Party Superstars. There's always that immediate knee-jerk reaction of "oh, I'll get it on sale then it clearly doesn't have enough content" or "oh this will be dead in 2-3 weeks because no one is gonna want to spend $60 on (x game here)." It's easier for people to buy the type of games that may not have "unlockables" but still have a good enough price for people to be willing to bite the bullet on it, such as Capcom Fighting Collection which $40 for 10 games in said collection.

I do like the idea of unlockables, especially if there's an online mode where EVERYTHING is unlocked for the user so they can have access to playing whatever or whoever day one as you suggested. I think what it comes down to is giving the player replayable or playable content that gives them a reason to revisit the game time and time again, like Smash Ultimate's achievement/trophy system which has historically been in Smash games. I think if Nintendo found a way to implement that in a lot of their games that is more than just collecting items after you finish an incredibly short game (like Mario Odyssey) people would be more willing to accept a game with lackluster content at launch.
You know, something that I have seen is how much some people get annoyed at Xenoblade and Fire Emblem getting games constantly instead of a new Star Fox, or F-Zero or Wario Land or Donkey Kong or whatever.
Yeah, because 2 Nintendo studios that are used to mostly just make JRPG's definitely could be making platformers or Racing games instead of JRPG'S (?)
I think the frustration from people who are saying this comment is mostly that they want Nintendo to utilize more IPs. We've been seeing a huge rise in Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles for example (as you mentioned) and sure, that IS for a big crowd but it's also hard to not realize that Nintendo has been reliant on Mario/Zelda/FE/XBC this generation when those aren't their only IPs. Sure, we got a return for Metroid finally (which I still do need to play lmao) but the point is that IPs like Star Fox, F-Zero, Wario Land, Donkey Kong, Golden Sun etc are all old IPs that do deserve love and would likely be massively successful on the Switch. It's less about the IPs that are constantly being used/the studios working on said IPs and the desire for Nintendo to also spread the love over to more of their dormant IPs.
Oh I don't know about Arceus dlc

I'm not really much of a Pokemon fan so I haven't put any thought into it tbh 😂
I'm just looking for a reason to go back to Legends Arceus, y'know? I'm sure they're working on a good enough DLC to get everybody to go back to the game in a couple of months. Hopefully we see something!
Rf86FLu.gif

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I like unshockables in my sports and racing games. Mario Kart 8 is a great game I love to play but I still prefer how unlocking things felt in Double Dash.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I like unshockables in my sports and racing games. Mario Kart 8 is a great game I love to play but I still prefer how unlocking things felt in Double Dash.
I mean yeah I totally understand this. Unlockables in arcadey games just feel right and are far more understandable than in any other type of game. It's just that there needs to be a balance to the making a game have optional unlockables or something like that

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah I totally understand this. Unlockables in arcadey games just feel right and are far more understandable than in any other type of game. It's just that there needs to be a balance to the making a game have optional unlockables or something like that

Don't know about optional since if that's the case then they are kind of pointless as well. I just like the feeling of progression and never play these games with other people. Doing the same thing over and over to unlock something also doesn't have the appeal but clearing one mode and getting a better set reward in Mario Kart is a lot more satisfying than the random rewards with no real benefit from 8 for me.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
intsys should drop fire emblem and put all their energy into pushmo tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.