• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personal gaming anecdotes:
Kirby is amazing but most of you already know that
Cruel King and the great hero is amazing and it floored how engaging it has been so far. Great artstyle, music and the battles are fun.
Octopath another GOTY candidate

KD out

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Japanese magazine Famitsu sat down with original director Takashi Tokita, to talk about LIVE A LIVE's development and why it's HD-2D

Question: It has been about 28 years since the game was released on Super Famicom, and now that the highly anticipated HD-2D remake has been announced, could you start by explaining how you came to develop the remake?

Tokita: I've pushed internally for a remake or sequel a number of times, but the circumstances never quite worked and the idea was abandoned. One of the big reasons we were able to create the remake was because we joined up with Mr. Asano's team, who was responsible for the HD-2D RPG Octopath Traveler from four years ago. When we were planning the project, we wondered if we could use HD-2D to create a Live A Live remake, and after discussing with them we made it a reality.

As an outside observer, Octopath Traveler left a big impact on me. It made me realize that sort of an approach would be possible. I think that a full 3D remake of the game would have changed the look of the game too much, but an HD-2D remake fuses the beauty of pixel art with the unique effects possible with 3D.

There are several plots from the get-go in Live A Live. The science fiction sections might be better suited to 3D, while hand drawn art can be used to highlight more important elements. HD-2D allows for a lot of variety, which is something we kept in mind from the very start of development.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Hello, I recently bought an OLED Switch and have a few questions if anyone could answer.

1) My partner wants pink Joycons. Does anyone have any recommendations on a third-party that makes good ones or any silicone covers I can get for our existing controllers? I don't want to try and do a custom shell as I don't want to void the warranty.

2) I want to get a second charger but am worried about buying a third party charger ax I don't want to void the warranty. Is my fear overblown? Are there any options recommend? I don't mind paying for the Nintendo one but if I can get one cheaper that's safe, I'd like to save money if I can.

3) Any games that do as much with HD rumble as 1-2 Switch? We've played this at a friends and it was a lot of fun so we plan on picking it up but want to know if there are any other games using the function that would be worthwhile.

Appreciate any help on these. Thanks for reading.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese magazine Famitsu sat down with original director Takashi Tokita, to talk about LIVE A LIVE's development and why it's HD-2D

Question: It has been about 28 years since the game was released on Super Famicom, and now that the highly anticipated HD-2D remake has been announced, could you start by explaining how you came to develop the remake?

A lot of people seem to get lock in that HD-2D has to look a certain way, but I'm happy to see Tokita distill the concept to the freedom it allows, "HD-2D remake fuses the beauty of pixel art with the unique effects possible with 3D." Live A Live (and DQ3) prove that there is a lot of room to play in when applying that base concept.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I recently bought an OLED Switch and have a few questions if anyone could answer.

1) My partner wants pink Joycons. Does anyone have any recommendations on a third-party that makes good ones or any silicone covers I can get for our existing controllers? I don't want to try and do a custom shell as I don't want to void the warranty.

2) I want to get a second charger but am worried about buying a third party charger ax I don't want to void the warranty. Is my fear overblown? Are there any options recommend? I don't mind paying for the Nintendo one but if I can get one cheaper that's safe, I'd like to save money if I can.

3) Any games that do as much with HD rumble as 1-2 Switch? We've played this at a friends and it was a lot of fun so we plan on picking it up but want to know if there are any other games using the function that would be worthwhile.

Appreciate any help on these. Thanks for reading.
1) You can get official ones, since Splatoon has green/pink pairs. They only come in sets of one of each though (unless you're in Japan), so you'd have to buy two sets.

2) In my experience, the Nintendo one is the only one that the dock will accept as a power supply. If you want another one that you don't plan on using with the dock, then any USB-C charger (even a power bank) will do fine.
(The Switch doesn't support Qualcomm Quick Charge, so don't be seduced by that.)

3) Golf Story famously uses it to create audio, but I can't think of another game offhand that uses it as cleverly as 1-2-Switch.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Man, Best Buy is taking so much of money with how many damn sales they got going on recently for the Switch lmao. I'm out here trying to pick and choose what I wanna buy for the sake of saving some money but at this point my Backlog for the Switch is fucking massive. I need to really start playing through games before Fire Emblem Three Hopes is out!

Really happy to see more Nintendo discussion here
Aye! Welcome to the thread, I'm glad it makes you happy!

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

I use a GeekShare protective silicone cover + case (OG model Switch) and they're good quality. Not sure what their OLED stuff is like, but might be worth a look.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
So, the folks over at Digital Foundry were discussing the recent BOTW2 trailer and they seem to think that the trailer isn't running on the Switch, what's your guys thoughts on this?

Here's the transcript for those that can't watch:
Dark1X: This trailer was interesting because the image quality was quite good, I was a little bit surprised how sharp and clear this looked compared to the original in general

DigitalFoundry: Do you have any thoughts on this Alex? Cause I think it was Bob from Retro RGB (?) that piped up on twitter saying is this actually running on the Switch?

DachSJaeger(Alex): I honestly don't think it is. Just because we've seen so very rarely volumetric clouds on Switch and these are like not breaking down super obviously and another thing that was obvious in the trailer was camera cuts and having like perfect anti-aliasing which is rare for Xbox Series X and Playstation games. I don't know what that means necessarily it could be the next Switch, it could just be they rendered a trailer at higher settings

Dark1X: The thing is they never do that

DigitalFoundry: Well, kind of, the first BOTW trailer had higher render distance than the game when it released I remember that being a thing.

Dark1X: Oh yeah but I don't remember them ever doing that in terms of a higher resolution bump in their trailers, I don't think they do that

DachSJaeger: I don't know if Nintendo has ever done that but we've seen other game companies do that but it wouldn't shocked me if they did but since they delayed it now, I think it's gonna be like BOTW where it launches on the old and the new hardware, and we see the benefits of the newer console whether it's Switch 2, Switch Pro, Switch X. That's what I think but I'm really curious though if they want to run those clouds on at all on Switch because volumetric rendering is really really expensive

DigitalFoundry: We know that the Nintendo engine does dynamic resolution scaling so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it's running on native hardware with those two caveats in mind but I agree that the leap in image quality compared to BOTW is stark to say the least

Last edited:

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
New Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes trailer!

I really want to be excited for this game, but musou doesn't do anything for me. I was even indifferent towards Age of Calamity.

So, the folks over at Digital Foundry were discussing the recent BOTW2 trailer and they seem to think that the trailer isn't running on the Switch, what's your guys thoughts on this?

Interesting! I'll watch it during my break.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK

It's what I want to hear - but I wonder if it isn't a bit of wishful thinking on their part - because that's what I wish for myself! It definitely does look better, but I can't rule out clever tricks and stuff..

I just remembered before that Fall Guys was supposed to be coming out for Switch and Xbox. Last update was 2 months ago saying they were finalising things. That'll be a nice drop and boost to the playerbase when it happens!

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I really want to be excited for this game, but musou doesn't do anything for me. I was even indifferent towards Age of Calamity

Interesting! I'll watch it during my break.
Ah, I've actually recently picked up Age of Calamity on sale and plan on playing it soon. I played the demo and immediately liked it so I figured fuck it, why not pick it up? Hopefully I end up liking the full experience because if it does, I can see it easily making more hype for Three Hopes but I don't blame you for not liking musous

It's what I want to hear - but I wonder if it isn't a bit of wishful thinking on their part - because that's what I wish for myself! It definitely does look better, but I can't rule out clever tricks and stuff..

I just remembered before that Fall Guys was supposed to be coming out for Switch and Xbox. Last update was 2 months ago saying they were finalising things. That'll be a nice drop and boost to the playerbase when it happens!
Assuming we hear nothing about Fall Guys all the way till June, I would like to think that's gonna be an "available now!" announcement in the next major Nintendo Direct (which I'm assuming is gonna be June but I won't be shocked if we at least get another indie direct or something before then lol)

As for this Digital Foundry stuff, it's really interesting right? It's one of those things where BOTW2 clearly does look visually better and it looks super fucking good but to see them point out tech reasons and actually explain why they think it could be running on a Switch 2/Pro/or whatever is at least worth some sort of discussion. Hell, I want that to be the case myself lol. I would've gotten the SWOLED if it had some sort of power upgrade but eh

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
So, Imran interviewed that person who somehow got access to Advance Wars 1+2

"It was just sitting there on my Switch for a couple of months unplayable," Adamson told Fanbyte. "The game was there on the home screen but, like any game that hasn't been released yet, it wouldn't let me play it." Just a few days ago, however, that changed. "I got a notification on my Switch saying it was ready to play. So I played it, thinking it had been released on schedule anyway. I never imagined that I was the only one (that I know of) that it was working for."

Eventually it seemed that Nintendo caught wind of this and took action to cut her off. It's not clear exactly how the publisher found out; Adamson thinks enough big Twitter accounts retweeted her and put it on Nintendo's radar — which, uh, maybe oops. However it happened, Nintendo didn't waste time pulling her license.

"They sent out an email like 'We've successfully received your return' with the game listed as the item that was returned," Adamson said. "The timing was so suspicious, it was the next day after the tweet. I thought there's no way that was a coincidence."

"I had it on airplane mode for a while when I received the email from them, I haven't gone online since," Adamson said, "so I have no clue if it'll stop working if I do. I assume it will."

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
(Edit) Just to let y'all know, I been updating the OP with new information that's been dropped this month incase y'all missed out on anything

Ha ha, good for her. Finish that shit before you go back online.
lmao for real, go all in while you can

Also, Nintendo contracted Bandai Namco for another project (they previously did New Pokemon Snap)

www.resetera.com

Bandai Namco Studios is developing a Remaster/Remake of a 3D action game for a Project(Contracted by Nintendo)

Some job listings came up recently for a planner of a 3D action game project contracted by Nintendo. https://bandainamcostudios.snar.jp/jobboard/detail.aspx?id=qz8IL4XM5YdrlPwPuO7Dog Another listing came up as well for a visual artist for the same Nintendo Contracted 3D action game...

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
So what are we expecting second half of this year?

Metroid Prime Remake
Pokémon Scarlet/Violet
Twilight Princess & Wind Waker HD

What else?
There's this new series, Xenoblade 3.

Also I think Bayonetta 3. Looked almost done last year.

My secret wish would be a new Mario game to release along with the movie.

Also a new 2D Zelda remake, it's been 3 years since Awakening

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Splatoon 3 launching late July-early August since July isn't packed at all (only LIVE A LIVE atm). I really don't think it'll be a super late Summer release
They better make an announcement soon, then. It definitely feels like more of an August title to me, though. They want to make the release date announcement with enough time for pre-orders to bake before release.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
They better make an announcement soon, then. It definitely feels like more of an August title to me, though. They want to make the release date announcement with enough time for pre-orders to bake before release.
I fully assume that they're gonna announce it during their next Direct (whether it's one before E3 to announce some lesser grand things or the E3 Direct) tbh but hey I could see it taking up August as well. I just don't see it going into September since Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is gonna be the big game that month which fucking reminds me, I need to play Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/Torna before that lmao

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Disco Elysium and loving it. Are there other games on Switch that are similar and good ports. I'm eyeing that Planescape: Torment port but I believe it has some bugs. Might just go PC for that.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm 5 hours into Triangle Strategy and man, the reviews were right. The first three hours of this game are seemingly the worst parts of TS thus far. It's a lot of talking and things setting up other future conversations or decisions and it could truly feel ridiculously boring or pointless but man, when the game starts to kick in after that point, you're fucking in. It's really fucking good so far and I'm enjoy the fuck out of it. My favorite feature though is how important it is to talk to literally everyone considering it opens up potential responses in future conversations that require decision making. It's a small feature but man I appreciate it enough to likely do a second playthrough sometime down the line. Here's to hoping the game continues to be great!

1 > Torna > 2

But I would definitely recommend leaving Torna until after 2.

+1 to this. Torna has major spoilers for XBC2 reveals.

Also the Torna gameplay is better IMO, so XBC2 might feel like a downgrade afterwards.

Good to know! I plan on trying to get a playthrough of these games in the summer because I at least do want to be all in on the world of Xenoblade Chronicles before XC3 is out in September

huggyhomer

Dec 14, 2018

Pathway is on a deep discount ($1.99) for their anniversary. I've had this in my wishlist for a while, so I bought it with Gold Coins I've been saving.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how many great games are coming for the Switch. I finished Kirby recently and I started 13 Sentinels just yesterday and it's great! I actually bought Triangle Strategy but haven't even tried it yet, lmao. I'm probably going to wait until I'm done with Sentinels. Also, really interested in Chrono Cross, Live A Live and a few indie games, too. That is, until Splatoon 3 and Pokémon, my God. This year is packed.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I can't believe how many great games are coming for the Switch. I finished Kirby recently and I started 13 Sentinels just yesterday and it's great! I actually bought Triangle Strategy but haven't even tried it yet, lmao. I'm probably going to wait until I'm done with Sentinels. Also, really interested in Chrono Cross, Live A Live and a few indie games, too. That is, until Splatoon 3 and Pokémon, my God. This year is packed.
I've been playing Triangle Strategy and I can tell you right now, it's fucking great. The first 2-3 hours are a bit dialogue heavy but once you get past that point, there's way more battles going on and you'll be invested in the world and it's characters. I'm fucking enjoying it so much more than I thought. And shit, you're not wrong. I actually gotta get to Chrono Cross after Triangle Strategy as well! Don't forget we still got Mario Strikers and Fire Emblem in June to kick off this year's Summer. Nintendo fans are fucking eating this year

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'm playing Chrono Cross and I'm enjoying it. It's definitely a 7/10 game for me but the elements i like I REALLY like.

When I'm done I can get back to Skyward Sword which is exciting too.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm playing Chrono Cross and I'm enjoying it. It's definitely a 7/10 game for me but the elements i like I REALLY like.

When I'm done I can get back to Skyward Sword which is exciting too.
How's the performance on Switch? I bought it on Switch before I saw the performance issues so I wanted to know what I'm getting myself into post Triangle Strategy lol

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
How's the performance on Switch? I bought it on Switch before I saw the performance issues so I wanted to know what I'm getting myself into post Triangle Strategy lol
Pretty awful, lots of slowdown. It's not something that's ever really bothered me to be honest. I've always been able to see past performance issues, especially for retro games. But objectively yeah it's there and I noticed it even as someone who doesn't care.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Random thought but I wish we'd get even a smidgen of a teaser trailer for Metroid Prime 4. I'd also like a Metroid Prime Advanced Remaster announcement.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Pretty awful, lots of slowdown. It's not something that's ever really bothered me to be honest. I've always been able to see past performance issues, especially for retro games. But objectively yeah it's there and I noticed it even as someone who doesn't care.

There are performance issues on PS too.
Fucking RIP, I hope they somehow fix it over time (if that's possible). I guess I'll hold out for a bit
Random thought but I wish we'd get even a smidgen of a teaser trailer for Metroid Prime 4. I'd also like a Metroid Prime Advanced Remaster announcement.
For real! I wonder if Nintendo's gonna finally reveal the overly rumored Metroid Prime 1 remake/remaster this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.