• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Oh no where oh where will we be able to find our anime skin and titties?

This is why I'm ashamed when people try to call me a gamer. Of all the shit going on in the world you upset about being able to see less on your creep anime girls.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
12 pages of people complaining that vagina bones were removed.

How the hell is anyone supposed to get excited for this game when this is is the discourse surrounding it?
I'm in here trying to understand these people decrying "censorship," but since I'm getting no replies defending the stance, it really does just seem like people who wanna see skimpy clothing on teens.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
They should offer a patch to fix it. The situation is absurd.
Funnily enough everyone else doesnt want the censored version either.
LOL. This is awesome.

I remember people claiming the censoring was "fine" or even better than the original version. Now Nintendo themselves apologize for it. Awesome.

#SayNoToCensorship
Good comments, fellow Gamers! This tyrannical censorship of our anime girls has got to stop!!

Give me a damn break.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not asking anyone to promote it for free, I'm saying how is anyone supposed to want this game when the only conversation surrounding it is about its localization changes?

What's the game about? Is it fun? Are the characters interesting? How's the music? No one wants to talk about the important stuff because we're too busy arguing about a wedding dress getting sloppily edited.
Yeah, but... it's the same game from a few years ago. What's the mystery? Every second of it is documented online in full.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We get page after page about how people should boycott Atlus for not censoring stuff in Persona & Catherine and now we get page after page about how we should boycott this Atlus game because they decided to edit a few things to make it less creepy.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in here trying to understand these people decrying "censorship," but since I'm getting no replies defending the stance, it really does just seem like people who wanna see skimpy clothing on teens.

Yup. That's really what this whole thing boils down to.

Yeah, but... it's the same game from a few years ago. What's the mystery? Every second of it is documented online in full.

Now is a great time for the #FE fanbase to come out the woodwork and share their excitement for the game. werezompire did that.

But it seems the prevailing opinion is "give me my anime tiddies back."

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I actually wouldn't mind if they just did an ENG dub for all the dialogue except for the songs. Sure, it might be a bit jarring for them to all speak in English and then sing in Japanese for like, 3 minutes, but haven't other Japanese games done this too? Seems like that method turned out fine.
Majority of japanese games are just doing eng for dialogue and japanese for song

Actually Nintendo has a go-to guy directing their english dubbed music songs nowadays

That person is Greg Chun and he directed the english songs for Mario Odyssey/Smash/Fire Emblem 3H etc

Plus he voices Kaname Date(Ai Somnium)/Yagami(Judgment)/Ike(Fire Emblem) and plenty of others too

They have all they need to do this right

Still puzzled why this game can't have a dub when it sold more on a dead system 50k+ first month at america without having english voices

Than daemon x machina which has a full dub and not even charting at npd while being on nintendo switch

And please don't say Avex is against the dubs as Astral Chain and Sushi Striker is done by both Kaori Ando (Nintendo Director) and Avex

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the censorship is the topic of this thread....

One, it's not censorship. Nintendo changed elements that would be considered incredibly creepy to a Western audience.

Two, every conversation about #FE eventually comes back to vagina bones. Why does no one ever want to talk about anything else from the game? The announcement thread was the same shit.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not asking anyone to promote it for free, I'm saying how is anyone supposed to want this game when the only conversation surrounding it is about its localization changes?

What's the game about? Is it fun? Are the characters interesting? How's the music? No one wants to talk about the important stuff because we're too busy arguing about a wedding dress getting sloppily edited.

The music SLAPS.
Actually, I'm not really hip with the kids. It means the music is good, right? That's what I meant. It's a BOP (right?).

The game is fun, but very saccharine. The last dungeon overstays its welcome with full backtracking into every single dungeon you visited before and then some 2h too much by itself.
The side quests (=character connection quests) are hilarious, and they give you hilarious costumes to wear in battle. I loved every single one of them.
It's like Persona without the teenage angst but Jpop instead.

The battle system is a great version of SMT turn/press and weakness exploitation. It never gets old. I finished the game after 80h and was only *slightly* annoyed that they never let you skip sessions (the new version will let you skip them, so no issues for newcomers!).

It already releases in Japan before, so why would they use the altered US version in Japan this time? Seems strange, unless it affected the rating differently than when it released on Wii U.

It's cheaper to QA and lot check only one version of the game.

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
Apologizing and offering refunds to the people that rightly felt cheated out of their money over some incorrect advertising is a good gesture from Nintendo, not sure why this got 13 pages of discussion to be honest.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
We get page after page about how people should boycott Atlus for not censoring stuff in Persona & Catherine and now we get page after page about how we should boycott this Atlus game because they decided to edit a few things to make it less creepy.
Atlus didn't edit this, it was Nintendo. Atlus USA just translated the game.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I've skimmed first and last page, and these questions remain open:
1) Is there actually outrage?
2) Aren't Nintendo just doing this because of the initial miscommunication, aka false advertising?

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
This is perfect. As someone who does Japanese to English translation, I totally agree. Things must be changed for the different cultures, languages, and markets. I just can't believe that some people are really feeling, "They put more clothes on teenagers, so I'm not buying this game." It's such a small thing. The conversation about gravure is changed. Again, pretty small thing. Do people need to see these characters in skimpy clothes to enjoy the game?

This is an oversimplification of the localization.

The gravure issue isn't so much that that it got changed, it's just the resulting situation was really weird afterword.

Basically, they made a character that had no qualms dancing in risque clothing in a music video suddenly terrified to model fully clothed, it's a logical leap that people who had no idea of the scenario change thought was dumb.

My issue with the wedding dress and this scenario is they didn't go far enough not the other way around. Yes, there would have been people upset about the loss of swimsuits etc, but the complaints about the wedding dress wouldn't get as much support if they weren't so sloppily applied.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It already releases in Japan before, so why would they use the altered US version in Japan this time? Seems strange, unless it affected the rating differently than when it released on Wii U.
Simultaneous worldwide release, as well as the added benefit of only having one version to be concerned with for patching.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Y'all creeps need to calm down.
Go look at the thousand other anime and JRPGs which sadly feature Shit like this on abundance.

I'm sure you'll live without your 2 second pedo panty shot.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked TMS#FE, I hope there is a chance of a sequel with the localization changes and being now on Switch, I'd like to see Tsubasa's career growth.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
One, it's not censorship. Nintendo changed elements that would be considered incredibly creepy to a Western audience.

Two, every conversation about #FE eventually comes back to vagina bones. Why does no one ever want to talk about anything else from the game? The announcement thread was the same shit.
The reason is that most of the people posting in these threads never even played the game and have nothing to say about it other than "Lololololol vagina bones!!!!"

As someone that played the western version of the game, I can say the following:

1. The music is absolutely fantastic and the bright, cheery anime aesthetic really fits the tone that the game goes for.
2. The combat system is one of the absolute best turn-based systems I have ever played in a JRPG. Everything just works so well together.
3. The story is lightweight, but enjoyable. Yes, it's more of a celebration than a condemnation of the idol industry, but the characters are all very endearing and have legitimate, positive dreams that they wish to follow, and the talent agency that serves as a key framing device/home base is a positive environment as well. Does that necessarily correspond with reality? No. But how many people actually expected this game to correspond with reality?
4. The changed content doesn't bother me that much. (People screeching about the wedding dress, kindly fuck off.) The alterations to tone down the gravure idol themed dungeon and the storyline around it to one about fashion modeling doesn't really change the core of the story or the characters involved, and it still has its really weird, creepy moments without the framing of an adult industry.
5. The references that the game does have to both MegaTen and Fire Emblem are really creatively done. Some of them are pretty upfront (businesses named for Megaten demons, for example, or the shop clerks that are all FE characters like Cath and Ilyana), while others are more subtle and you might not get unless you have a familiarity with both franchises.

Now watch as my reply is swept away in a sea of more thoughtless whining.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
All of those are obviously totally fair criticisms about the game, and I 100% agree the idol industry is terrible. "I don't want to play #FE because it romanticizes a despicable industry that's still a real problem today" is a completey reasonable response. I just don't think the solution to that real world problem should be pretending that's not how Japanese culture is when localizing games.

I'm fascinated by Japanese games set in Japan (and Japan in general, I've visited for somewhat extended periods multiple times and have another trip on the horizon), and one of my favorite aspects of them is getting a insider look at Japanese culture. Tokyo in video games is always interesting since it's getting to see another culture as presented (and romanticized) by insiders rather than experiencing it as an outsider. In that sense, I'm not a fan when things are scrubbed for gaijins since it's hiding the fact that idol culture is still the norm there, weird creepy shit and all. I feel similar to that to when the Mahjong and Shogi mini-games or hostess clubs were stripped out of Yakuza 3 since Americans and Europeans wouldn't understand them. No let me see everything, I'll be fine I can handle it.

In that sense I care a lot less about the clothing models being edited in this particular case since that's not being done to obscure some weird facet of the culture from prying outsider eyes, but I definitely understand the desire to be allowed to experience the game in its original form and so sympathize with people for whom even that is too much.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing Nintendo did wrong was post screen shots of the wrong version, which they've remedied by offering refunds. Good on them.

Deleted member 19868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Hint: the people who are mad about homophobia and transphobia in Catherine and Persona are not going to be the same losers who want to see teen girls in skimpy clothing. But thanks for equating pedophiles with the LGBT community. Makes it easier to recommend people never buy any of your games ever again.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason is that most of the people posting in these threads never even played the game and have nothing to say about it other than "Lololololol vagina bones!!!!"

As someone that played the western version of the game, I can say the following:

1. The music is absolutely fantastic and the bright, cheery anime aesthetic really fits the tone that the game goes for.
2. The combat system is one of the absolute best turn-based systems I have ever played in a JRPG. Everything just works so well together.
3. The story is lightweight, but enjoyable. Yes, it's more of a celebration than a condemnation of the idol industry, but the characters are all very endearing and have legitimate, positive dreams that they wish to follow, and the talent agency that serves as a key framing device/home base is a positive environment as well. Does that necessarily correspond with reality? No. But how many people actually expected this game to correspond with reality?
4. The changed content doesn't bother me that much. (People screeching about the wedding dress, kindly fuck off.) The alterations to tone down the gravure idol themed dungeon and the storyline around it to one about fashion modeling doesn't really change the core of the story or the characters involved, and it still has its really weird, creepy moments without the framing of an adult industry.
5. The references that the game does have to both MegaTen and Fire Emblem are really creatively done. Some of them are pretty upfront (businesses named for Megaten demons, for example, or the shop clerks that are all FE characters like Cath and Ilyana), while others are more subtle and you might not get unless you have a familiarity with both franchises.

See this is what I'm here for as an outsider tentatively interested in the game. You and werezompire are actually talking about the game rather than the surrounding nonsense.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
They really should've just said it was based on the west version to begin with or just use the Japanese version as a base and apply some of the changes that make sense while keeping out the sloppy changes. Either way I hope people still check the game out, it's great.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is an oversimplification of the localization.

The gravure issue isn't so much that that it got changed, it's just the resulting situation was really weird afterword.

Basically, they made a character that had no qualms dancing in risque clothing in a music video suddenly terrified to model fully clothed, it's a logical leap that people who had no idea of the scenario change thought was dumb.

My issue with the wedding dress and this scenario is they didn't go far enough not the other way around. Yes, there would have been people upset about the loss of swimsuits etc, but the complaints about the wedding dress wouldn't get as much support if they weren't so sloppily applied.
Yeah, it's not that it's just a product that's been modified for western audiences (like Dragon Quest XI, with name changes and introduction of accents), it's that these edits really harken back to 4kids style edits. Just really poorly done and inconsistent. The body edits were literally a 4kids staple. I'm fine with buying something that's been localized, not something that's been halfassedly localized.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hint: the people who are mad about homophobia and transphobia in Catherine and Persona are not going to be the same losers who want to see teen girls in skimpy clothing. But thanks for equating pedophiles with the LGBT community. Makes it easier to recommend people never buy any of your games ever again.

He wasn't doing that at all. He's saying that Atlus should remove the homophobic and transphobic content in their other games, and that removing objectionable content in this game has led to backlash regardless.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

You expressed my feelings for the game in a way that I can never hope to replicate, the best I can muster is game good Music great.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
"Gamers are hollering today, as Nintendo announces they've removed risque content from a video game. Enthusiasts around the globe have balked at the companies decision to offer refunds to all pedophiles disappointed in this news, instead insisting their preference for underage vagina bones be reinstated"

This should be thread marked tbh

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I played the first half the wiiu port(I just couldn't finish jrpgs on it that were over 20 hours) and I plan to get again. Basically there is one chapter/dungeon that got a major and arguably more positive rewrite(original was bending to the pressure of Japan's teen pinup scene(in bikinis, in downtown Tokyo ), whereas the western version was about getting more comfortable expressing yourself in different styles and fashions and not letting the scene have complete control of your image(in street clothes). Basically they changed it from bowing to the Grauve idol(which is a Japan only thing) to expressing yourself as a young adult/teen idol.
They aged them up to 18 in the case of the older main cast since they are working jobs and stuff outside of the kid actor(She's fun she's the team tank and wears full heavy armor in combat).
There was a pose change in said chapter for their manager who had been kidnapped and knocked out. Everything else is cosmetic stuff

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds better to me based on those changes.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If it were as significant as removing shogi, I could understand. I don't think any gameplay elements are lost. Just skin. I think you're sympathy is giving those people too much credit.
The chapter based on gravure modelling has been completely (and somewhat clumsily) replaced to just be about a random streetware photoshoot, which to me is the number one biggest issue with the changes, so that's mainly what I'm talking about. Gravure modeling is not a great thing and the way the game treats it completely uncritically is not very progressive, but to me that doesn't warrant it getting erased from media.

There's also a small scene of the characters interacting in a bathhouse that's cut, which I also don't really agree with since bathhouses really are a very commonplace feature of Japanese life. Again, not trying to suggest either of these scenes are high-art or anything, but yeah.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Pedantry surrounding the sexualization of minors is not something we allow (per our FAQ, section "Child Welfare")
I know understanding the situation would go against the popular pattern of jumping into a thread like this and screaming about pedophiles. But, in the interest of linguistic exactitude, if the people complaining were actually pedophiles then they presumably wouldnt be interested in the characters who all appear to be in their late teens (seventeen if the OP is to be believed)? Not that sexualising older teenagers isnt problematic but its hardly unique to Japan (really it'd be more of a western or US "thing" in that case)

Oct 27, 2017
The point is not whether it's right or no to "censore" the vagina bones.

The point is that it wasn't clear at all if the Switch version was, in fact, the Western version or had all the content of the original Japanese version. People might have been misled and might have preordered a game without the contents they thought it had.

Nintendo is right, refunding the preorder is the good choice.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If they removed the homophobic content from Persona you'd get just as much backlash. Not because people love that content, but because people don't like when companies decide what we should or should not be exposed to. If a game is judged problematic in its original form, let me handle it. It's just that easy, being told what you can or can't see when you buy a game doesn't feel good.

In other words, it's the "principle" of the thing. I try to avoid using that word because then people think you're a pompous ass that wants to see tits. But that doesn't make it untrue: hearing that a game removed some stuff because they judged that I shouldn't see it make me less excited about a game, even if I didn't like the stuff they removed.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to give credit to Nintendo for allowing refunds when that should be the norm (at the very least for preorders).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they removed the homophobic content from Persona you'd get just as much backlash. Not because people love that content, but because people don't like when companies decide what we should or should not be exposed to. If a game is judged problematic in its original form, let me handle it. It's just that easy, being told what you can or can't see when you buy a game doesn't feel good.

In other words, it's the "principle" of the thing. I try to avoid using that word because then people think you're a pompous ass that wants to see tits. But that doesn't make it untrue: hearing that a game removed some stuff because they judged that I shouldn't see it make me less excited about a game, even if I didn't like the stuff they removed.

Persona 5 would be an objectively improved game if it didn't have the two gay pedophiles who "hilariously" try to rape two teenage boys because their actions and existence as characters are a slap to the face of everything P5 is trying to say about a society that hurts the marginalized.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

It's like those threads about Sony censoring visual novels on PSN. It comes off as disingenuous because people won't be forthcoming about what specifically getting censored they're angry about because they know they'll get side-eyed for it.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

If a game has a bunch of offensive stuff to pander to people that enjoy it, that's not about telling you what you can or can't say, it's about normalizing sexualization of the female characters, minors, downplaying of abusive relationships and so on.
Normalization is not cool for these things. If you have problematic stuff, but never contextualize it as problematic, then wtf. No one ever stops Tsubasa in the street and asks why the hell she chose to fight in a bikini for example.
Tiki doesn't question you why you would want her, a tiny kid, to wear a bathing suit when you talk to her in the weapon enhancement hub.

If stuff is problematic, it should be presented as such. If it's not presented as such, that's normalizing it.
There's no defending a principle if it allows people to include really offensive trash in their game, and when being called out for it to say "well, we can't remove the bullshit from our game, you know, out of principle".

If it's just there for titillation, this is offputting.

If you want your game to be enjoyed by more people, you remove this.
If you want your game to cater to people that enjoy young girls in bathing suits, then you can leave it, and expose people to it without judging, sure.

I'm just expressing my support that they did not make this game one of the later.

.... faaaiiaaa emmmbureem~ x)
(it's both the good and bad kinda cheesy)

That ending was a riot.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 would be an objectively improved game if it didn't have the two gay pedophiles who "hilariously" try to rape two teenage boys because their actions and existence as characters are a slap to the face of everything P5 is trying to say about a society that hurts the marginalized.
And I still wouldn't want the western branch to remove it. The devs chose to put it in, I can criticize them for it instead of pretending it never happened.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If a game has a bunch of offensive stuff to pander to people that enjoy it, that's not about telling you what you can or can't say, it's about normalizing sexualization of the female characters, minors, downplaying of abusive relationships and so on.
Normalization is not cool for these things. If you have problematic stuff, but never contextualize it as problematic, then wtf. No one ever stops Tsubasa in the street and asks why the hell she chose to fight in a bikini for example.
Tiki doesn't question you why you would want her, a tiny kid, to wear a bathing suit when you talk to her in the weapon enhancement hub.

If stuff is problematic, it should be presented as such. If it's not presented as such, that's normalizing it.
There's no defending a principle if it allows people to include really offensive trash in their game, and when being called out for it to say "well, we can't remove the bullshit from our game, you know, out of principle".

If it's just there for titillation, this is offputting.

If you want your game to be enjoyed by more people, you remove this.
If you want your game to cater to people that enjoy young girls in bathing suits, then you can leave it, and expose people to it without judging, sure.

I'm just expressing my support that they did not make this game one of the later.
I just don't see it that way. If a game has problematic element, it'll get called out, people will criticize it. Like they did with the homophobic stuff in Persona. I don't need them to remove it to pretend it never happened. I think as a whole we can handle problematic content and talk about them, we don't need to be shielded from them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see it that way. If a game has problematic element, it'll get called out, people will criticize it. Like they did with the homophobic stuff in Persona. I don't need them to remove it to pretend it never happened. I think as a whole we can handle problematic content, we don't need to be shielded by them.

If the problematic content isn't there in the first place it wouldn't need to be called out.

P5's continued use of queerphobic stereotypes is harmful. It continues the notion that is normal and acceptable to put into media.