• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
edi1kk2.gif

On December 08, 2020, Nintendo of America Inc.'s trademark filing, US Serial Number 79289925, Eternal Darkness, was registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The application was originally filed May 14, 2020, but claims priority from international registration 1541696A originally filed January 15, 2020.

Below is the registration certificate:

79289925_01rdk1j.png

79289925_02ewkky.png

Source: https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn79289925&docId=ORC20201122020932#docIndex=0&page=1

What does this mean then, in comparison to previous filings for the Eternal Darkness trademark? The major difference is that this is an actual registration and not a Request for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use as we have seen many times in the past. Thus, a 36 month window in which NoA can file requests for such extensions is void in this context. They will have to file for a Declaration of Use however, as stated in the registration certificate:

First Filing Deadline: You must file a Declaration of Use (or Excusable Nonuse) between the 5th and 6th years after the registration date.

As usual, a trademark application is not evidence of a game being developed. In previous applications for certain extension requests, this has been under "ongoing effort" though (but is standard practice and nothing eyebrow-raising):

product or service research or development
Source: https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn87274495&docId=ESU20191106155005#docIndex=4&page=1

This could mean a number of things, from a simple meeting to prototyping (a new game, a port/remaster etc.). As for the active and registered application, I would assume its purpose is to avoid the process of having to abandon an application for which a Statement of Use has not been provided in a timely manner, for just to file a new trademark application again and again.

Other countries/regions where Eternal Darkness trademarks remain active include South Korea, Mexico, Canada, EU, Australia and Singapore.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
These thread titles always give me a minor heart attack but yeah it never means anything.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It means absolutely nothing and I don't understand why you keep making these threads that don't achieve anything but getting the hopes up of people who don't know it better.

Nov 8, 2017
They put Alex as a spirit in smash bros which is frankly upsetting because I want to have her as a character. Down B just makes her scream "Pargon Pargon pargon" over and over.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Probably just hoarding on the name brand they'll never use. I wish people would just...stop thinking this means anything.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I can live with a trademark registration every few years. At least we're not dissecting Denis Dyack's Twitter looking for clues.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
They'll keep doing that until we get GameCube Switch (successor) Online where they will finally rerelease it.
Or maybe NoA want to do something with it but the opportunity has not risen yet.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i'm convinced this is just one elaborate sanity effect by some employee who is salty the series is dead and wants everyone to suffer like them.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You have made basically the same topic 3 other times. It means Nintendo is retaining a copyright and nothing else.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All this talk of preferring to work with 3rd party studios rather than acquiring them, and then they can't be arsed to outsource gems like this to the countless gifted developers out there....

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if joking, but it's a Nintendo IP. It released on the GameCube. It was made by Silicon Knights. It's basically a horror type of game.
See i don't know the full history of previous known Nintendo IP's. I get confused whether they are a fully owned by Nintendo, or joint holders with another developer/studio.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See i don't know the full history of previous known Nintendo IP's. I get confused whether they are a fully owned by Nintendo, or joint holders with another developer/studio.
I just couldn't tell because Eternal Darkness renewal has become a running joke for years now so you'll see a lot of sarcastic posts lol.