• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
This instance is about drawing attention to systemic oppression and violence perpetrated by police towards black people. Nintendo can donate all they want to various groups involved in this but the actual attention here is one of the bigger goals of this movement. They also do publicly endorse LGBT pride and participate in pride parades.

Things like immigration/cancer research all require attention too but there's a lot more that money by itself can do for those causes (especially the latter) than attention can.
I don't disagree that systemic oppression and violence towards black people needs to be publicly and fiercely stood against. I vehemently believe that. I just disagree that other issues shouldn't be as well. I think companies/people with powerful voices should speak out against injustices in the world. As passionate as I am about this issue, I believe there are tons of problems that these companies could publicly call attention to, and should.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Nice, especially that comes from Nintendo that usually don't have media statements.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very good position from Nintendo, better late than never. Some replies in the other thread now looks completely embarassing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree that systemic oppression and violence towards black people needs to be publicly and fiercely stood against. I vehemently believe that. I just disagree that other issues shouldn't be as well. I think companies/people with powerful voices should speak out against injustices in the world. As passionate as I am about this issue, I believe there are tons of problems that these companies could publicly call attention to, and should.

At what point does it end though? Do you think every company should issue a statement about every social/political movement or issue that arises? I don't get what Nintendo announcing "we are donating X dollars to cancer research" accomplishes that the donation itself without the announcement doesn't. Are people going to look at it and say "I've never thought about donating to cancer research, maybe now I should!" I don't really think that's realistic.

In an ideal world every company would bring attention to all of the problems we all face but it's not an ideal world, and these companies don't exist to bring attention to these issues. The fact that so many are bringing this up is interesting in various ways, as some of them seem like hollow PR grabs, some seem toothless, and others seem sincere and serious, so it's hard to tell the motivation behind all of these announcements and statements.

But it's not hard to tell the motivation behind anonymous donations, and that's why I find it to be so admirable. You're giving money to a cause without trying to seek any recognition/reward for that act. In this case they both did that and brought attention to the cause because attention is probably more important for this issue than donations actually are.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
At what point does it end though? Do you think every company should issue a statement about every social/political movement or issue that arises? I don't get what Nintendo announcing "we are donating X dollars to cancer research" accomplishes that the donation itself without the announcement doesn't. Are people going to look at it and say "I've never thought about donating to cancer research, maybe now I should!" I don't really think that's realistic.

In an ideal world every company would bring attention to all of the problems we all face but it's not an ideal world, and these companies don't exist to bring attention to these issues. The fact that so many are bringing this up is interesting in various ways, as some of them seem like hollow PR grabs, some seem toothless, and others seem sincere and serious, so it's hard to tell the motivation behind all of these announcements and statements.

But it's not hard to tell the motivation behind anonymous donations, and that's why I find it to be so admirable. You're giving money to a cause without trying to seek any recognition/reward for that act. In this case they both did that and brought attention to the cause because attention is probably more important for this issue than donations actually are.
Yeah I really don't buy into the whole slippery slope thing, nor the cynical "they just want attention" argument. We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking madness we should not care what these companies say but what they do. Now that all of our favorite companies have spoken out, let's all make sure they follow through with what they say. Don't let them just talk support, make them actually do the fucking work.
Right. I'm not gonna cheer Nintendo on because they're doing the bare minimum and have had 6 black video game characters in their 40 year history. Go above and beyond. We have support Nintendo despite all of this. Like if a billion dollar corporation is gonna play to my good graces, try a bit harder.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
They said it took until NH for animal crossing to put in darker skin proper, I'm telling them that before the team worked on NH or pocket camp thry were already starting down the path of being more progressive in splatoon, I pointed this out because we known it was mostly the same team
Ah, ok - I thought you were responding to my post.

In any case, and thinking back, it should've been an option in New Leaf at the very least, if not the DS game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really don't buy into the whole slippery slope thing, nor the cynical "they just want attention" argument. We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

I'm not invoking the slippery slope argument. I'm saying it's unrealistic to expect them or any other company to comment on every social/political issue that arises. Slippery slope is saying "well if they comment on X then they have to comment on Y and Z and so on" which is not remotely what I'm getting at.

And I mean, it's hard not to feel cynical about some of these companies. Look at Activision-Blizzard, how can anyone take their statement seriously when they were just doing the complete opposite with regards to China/Hong Kong?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I think companies need to use their platform to generate some level of good with the enormous power and influence. The only reason this is gaining so much traction however is because of how horrifying that video was and how apparent the state had 0 intention in fixing it. Ferguson never generated nearly this level of attention. I dunno if its just a boiling over point or what but this seemingly was the point where the people just said fuck this shit no more.

I hope this is a jump off point to get corporations to be more ethical and support more causes in general. We sit here and cheer on record profits from gaming companies yet people act like asking them to share a small fraction of that to improve the world is wrong. Just shitty people with shitty perspectives.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I was just enjoying the racists whine because all the console manufacturers are showing support.

I come to the gaming side of this forum and what do I see?

Console wars in the shape of PR release comparisons.....

This whole damn thread is shameful man. Im going to guess the others aren't any better either... So rather than even bothering Ill just say Im glad these 3 cared enough to say something. Their support is appreciated, and I hope they don't let stupidity surrounding their statements and all of the pointless fanboyism dissuade them from doing the same in the future should it be neccessary.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I have experienced something similar during the height of the gay marriage debate.

And you know what, I'd rather have these corporations on my side than not touching me with a ten foot pole at all. It goes a long way in convincing those that are silent to come to your side. As cynical as these moves are seen by some people, they are still appreciated. They also work.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Why is Nintendo's the weakest response yet?

Super disappointing...

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not invoking the slippery slope argument.
Slippery slope is saying "well if they comment on X then they have to comment on Y and Z and so on" which is not remotely what I'm getting at.
At what point does it end though? Do you think every company should issue a statement about every social/political movement or issue that arises?
I mean it's literally what you did, but ok.

I think companies need to use their platform to generate some level of good with the enormous power and influence. The only reason this is gaining so much traction however is because of how horrifying that video was and how apparent the state had 0 intention in fixing it. Ferguson never generated nearly this level of attention. I dunno if its just a boiling over point or what but this seemingly was the point where the people just said fuck this shit no more.

I hope this is a jump off point to get corporations to be more ethical and support more causes in general. We sit here and cheer on record profits from gaming companies yet people act like asking them to share a small fraction of that to improve the world is wrong. Just shitty people with shitty perspectives.
I 100% agree with you. Great post.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Very first answer that shows up on the tweet is the usual Netdex scum.
They should just have disabled comments on that tweet and let the message stand on its own.
They deserve all the attacks they're getting for posting that.

But I agree. They should have disabled the comments and let people see the message on its own.

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017
First they had to make really sure, check and analyze responding wouldn't hurt their sales, after seeing the immense support from literally everybody they declared it was safe, hence the week late respone.
Nothing wrong with that. It's the management's fiduciary responsibility to do so. Nintendo is a public company and has shareholders to answer to.It's not a 3 men company where the owner can do as he/she pleases.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
For companies like Nintendo it is probably even difficult to put out a statement like that we have now, because of their horrible micromanagement. To have the possibility that Nintendo comments faster and more frequent about issues around them, they have to change the structure of their company or the way how they communicate. (That dosen't mean that I think that they would automatically put out more statements, but at least it would be easier) I mean when Nintendo Accounts where hacked, they waited days for an answer.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with that. It's the management's fiduciary responsibility to do so. Nintendo is a public company and has shareholders to answer to.It's not a 3 men company where the owner can do as he/she pleases.
Yeah, Nintendo is the only public company with shareholders, all those other big companies were 3 men shows all along. Protect Nintendo's precious shareholders.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm uplifted by the message itself but I can't help but feel like the right-wing bot army has already taken the cynicism about "brand" to try and downplay every single one of these shows of solidarity.

I'm not in entire disagreement about the "brand" cynicism, either, but it does feel like it's being co-opted for ill.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Any more info on this?

www.resetera.com

Nintendo is double-matching staff donations to the Black Lives Matter Movement, also has stayed silent all day #BlackoutTuesday

What? I don't believe anything Blizzard says. After all these years of talking about their values, Blizzard showed us where their values really lay with their response to Blitzchung. Give me proof and I'll give Nintendo praise. I don't know why that's unreasonable. It still would be concerning...

What other info are you looking for?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they understood there are people who value their support even though others would rather see them stay silent.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It was directly from a NOA employee, there's no reason to believe it's not true. He said he deleted the tweet because of the attention it was getting, not because it was false.
OH ok. Thanks. My wife saw something about it on Twitter and asked if I'd seen anything saying it was true or not, so I searched here and found the closed thread.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nice.

So it seems the reason they didn't post yesterday anything at all was for a reason. That statement along with the double match is a decent support

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

idk, I think when it's a nationwide movement begging for justice and humane treatment of a huge segment of people, it's pretty dang nice to get a statement.

This isn't something like cancer where there needs to be ongoing research, work is constantly continuing, and the vast vast vast majority of people are on one side. This is about a group of people being killed simply for existing, about a movement that is happening literally within all 50 states.