• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they're damned if they do, damned if they don't...

Of course. I knew this would be the reaction regardless.

They're doubling donations made by the company. This response, like EVERY other corporation, is a PR response. At least they said his name.

So I'm not sure why the gamers on here are trying to make this a console battle war.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like some weird competition for people in here in which billionaire company can outdo who in PR....

Some people have very obviously been trying to inject console/company war through the perspective of "which company makes the better PR statement" while being extremely transparent and that's honestly kinda disgusting to read sometimes.

Is the company not perpetuator of systemic racism now that it has published a generic white on black statement?

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
So I guess overreactions about them can stop now?
Statement like people wanted, didn't promote anything yesterday, and double matched employee donations before that.

Yes your favourite company is free from criticism now. You will hopefully be okay too.

Jesus some of you are the worst. People asking for the bare minimum is over-reaction now. What a fanbase.

On topic - Good on Nintendo for acknowleding it. It was the right thing to do.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
You can easily argue that Elma is the main character of Xenoblade X
Elma is essentially the main character of her game. Twintelle is one of the playable characters from a fighting game, so she's equally as much the protagonist as anybody else.

I'm not going to argue whether or not Elma is black; I haven't played the game and only did a quick scan just now of a wiki. Sure, she "counts." This is what I mean with how white people look at racism — there is this instinct to try to prove that it's already solved to the best it can be solved, and talking about it any more is just impolite.

I will say that if this character, whose design appears barely a shade different from any "white" anime protagonist, is genuinely presented as any kind of proof that Nintendo is somehow doing acceptably okay in this regard, then you should ask if you think that your own race/background might potentially be coloring your view on the relative importance of this.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people have very obviously been trying to inject console/company war through the perspective of "which company makes the better PR statement" while being extremely transparent and that's honestly kinda disgusting to read sometimes.

It's a fucking joke and gaming side has been really bad at this whole thing. If you want to detach yourself from the nonsense, Off Topic has been great and the mods have been on point over there in regards to the concerned trolling.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this not something to talk about here? Is it unrelated to Nintendo and black lives mattering? How so?
It's something to definitely talk about, but this is not the thread and the onus shouldn't just be on Nintendo.

It should also include the other video gaming companies in the industry, but still, if you're interested in discussing, you're free to make your own thread to conglomerate this specific issue with regards to video game companies including Nintendo that do not have PoC main characters / protagonists in their games and the lack of their presence in the industry.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
People were ready to rake them over the coals for not making any sort of statement yesterday, and now people are ready to rake them over the coals because the statement that they did make wasn't specific enough for them. We have people here eager to score Nintendo's statement against Niantic's for example.

It's not "raking them over the coals" to point out they hadn't made a statement, or in this case, a weak statement.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They've gotten better with POC characters this gen but it's still pretty shit. If your counting Elma your stretching it (due to story reasons) and it sucks that we should have to stretch it at all.

At least we have that one guy in Smash Bros, the king of evil guy.

God I hope Twintelle is the ARMs rep.

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess overreactions about them can stop now?
Statement like people wanted, didn't promote anything yesterday, and double matched employee donations before that.
Lmao, fuck off. It wasn't an overreaction to expect them to put out a statement condemning white supremacy in light of what's happening. That being your primary concern here is beyond embarrassing.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Oh then I can add in the likes of Ganondorf, Marina, Urbosa, and Nessa as well then. Not to say that they can't do better in terms of diversity but that's honestly an industry wide issue that's only more recently being improved upon

No, it's just not exactly important to the matter at hand

Why is it not an important matter? I'm interested in your rationale on why it's not important for Nintendo to have black protagonists or main characters, or tell me why you think the characters you've listed is enough. I will help you out — when someone is declaring race "doesn't matter" it is very revealing about that person's privilege and lack of awareness of the world that exists outside of them.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe it's because it took so long, but at this point and with that wording, it reads more like a legal disclaimer that they are obliged to have than a genuine attempt at support.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
User Banned (1 Month) - Trolling in a sensitive thread
Yes your favourite company is free from criticism now. You will hopefully be okay too.

Jesus some of you are the worst.
?
I didn't say "leave Nintendo aloooone". I feel like you haven't been in the previous thread with some people throwing over themselves to find a reason to say that their lack of messaging (despite what they were doing on the side) was the worst thing since their dog died.

edit:
Lmao, fuck off. It wasn't an overreaction to expect them to put out a statement condemning white supremacy.
See above. The overreactions weren't about the lack of statement on twitter.

Oct 25, 2017
Hooray, it's nothing! Now can we stop asking for brand statements to re-affirm obvious things and stop substituting sterile PR for human emotion by letting others humans take the lead?

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twintelle is black. Marina is black. Urbosa is black. Elma is black. The black characters appearing in Nintendo games have clearly increased this generation.

It's not like the industry prior to the 2010s have a big prominence of black characters either, all around the representation have been pretty weak until recently.

Anyway, I think this is not something to talk about here.
So what do you think we should talk about? Should we not talk about the inclusion portion of their statement, talk about the current state and how it can get better?

Should we just be discussing how it's good they put out a statement and praising them for it?

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of you are well...Ill not say but its a contest now? come on son's

ps its mostly PR teams that put this stuff out. Take a look what the people who work there are saying you dont need something from the PR team

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's something to definitely talk about, but this is not the thread and the onus shouldn't just be on Nintendo.

It should also include the other video gaming companies in the industry, but still, if you're interested in discussing, you're free to make your own thread to conglomerate this specific issue with regards to video game companies including Nintendo that do not have PoC main characters / protagonists in their games and the lack of their presence in the industry.

Why do you need to bring the rest of the industry into it? I am completely fine to limit the scope to exactly the parameters in the thread title — Nintendo and black people.

This again, whether consciously or not, is an attempt to put the issue in a box and put it away and pretend it's already solved. This instinct is everywhere in people who are unaffected by racism once you see it. Racism only makes people uncomfortable when it's unfamiliar to them.

Jun 2, 2019
So they were just respecting the blackout thursday

Oh well, i'm not a fan of PR statements regardless of where they come from, but good from Nintendo for releasing a statement on the matter.

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it not an important matter? I'm interested in your rationale on why it's not important for Nintendo to have black protagonists or main characters, or tell me why you think the characters you've listed is enough. I will help you out — when someone is declaring race "doesn't matter" it is very revealing about that person's privilege and lack of awareness of the world that exists outside of them.
Now you're just putting words in my mouth and deliberately ignoring what I said. Oh well, going off of the previous thread, I can't say I'm surprised. Nice of you to make assumptions on my privileges as well

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not "raking them over the coals" to point out they hadn't made a statement, or in this case, a weak statement.
Who gives a shit if it's weak, that shit doesn't help me as a black man, doesn't help my Mom My aunts my sisters my cousins my girlfriend as black people.
We need to stop giving a fuck what these companies are saying.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an inherent privilege in being able to comfortably say "no their POC representation is good enough here's a few characters", and trying to move away from discussing inclusion in their games.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm not going to argue whether or not Elma is black; I haven't played the game and only did a quick scan just now of a wiki. Sure, she "counts." This is what I mean with how white people look at racism — there is this instinct to try to prove that it's already solved to the best it can be solved, and talking about it any more is just impolite.

I will say that if this character, whose design appears barely a shade different from any "white" anime protagonist, is genuinely presented as any kind of proof that Nintendo is somehow doing acceptably okay in this regard, then you should ask if you think that your own race/background might potentially be coloring your view on the relative importance of this.
I should have make clear that I was just responding to your question and not trying to argue that black characters are represented nearly as enough in Nintendo games. The problem is not that "Nintendo doesn't make black characters" it's that it's the exeption not the norm, like in the rest of the industry.
Also
you can argue that Elma was made black to look more different in the eyes of the devs since she's an alien, and the rest of the cast is white despite coming from an american city (so no "there is not a lot of black people in Japan" excuse)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well said. To add to that, those claiming corporate shows of support are empty PR platitudes are missing the point. Some of these brands have MILLIONS of followers, if as a result of a message even ONE person researches the BLM cause, donates or contacts representatives etc, it's a win. Awareness matters, especially when your platform and viewership is massive.

Oct 27, 2017
Now we're in the phase where their message isn't as good as some other big company's message. Do some of you actually care or is this some bizarre sort of game for you guys? Some of you are so fixated on performative bullshit it makes me wonder if you even still have sight of what's going on

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good statement. Kinda weak when you compare it up against the words (and actions) of other companies, but it's a big step for them to even say this much so good on them.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
There's an inherent privilege in being able to comfortably say "no their POC representation is good enough here's a few characters", and trying to move away from discussing inclusion in their games.
You know a thread can be made about that (like many have been made in the past on this specific topic)? This isn't really linked to that statement, given how this is a problem for the whole industry and a whole other debate.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I have never said they couldn't and shouldn't be doing better. In fact I'm pretty sure I said they should be doing better.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Good. Bit on the soft side (I wish they would have specifically called out racism and white supremecy by name or even mentioned Black Lives Matter) but I imagine this is the furthest NCL would let NoA go.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know a thread can be made about that (like many have been made in the past on this specific topic)? This isn't really linked to that statement, given how this is a problem for the whole industry and a whole other debate.
Their statement literally talks about improving inclusion. This is one way they can improve. What else do you want to talk about here? Just praise their statement?

Black lives matter. Black representation matters and helps legitimatize black lives in our media centric digital lives.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
?
I didn't say "leave Nintendo aloooone". I feel like you haven't been in the previous thread with some people throwing over themselves to find a reason to say that their lack of messaging (despite what they were doing on the side) was the worst thing since their dog died.

edit:

See above. The overreactions weren't about the lack of statement on twitter.

Black people are fucking dying and being brutalized in their own communities. People are literally begging people with power and a platform to use it. Who gives the slightest fuck how far they want the billion dollar corporation who gladly accepts black money to go in supporting an end to police brutality and white supremacy.

Get some perspective. Who gives a fuck what people expect of Nintendo? Whatever Nintendo are doing right at this second they could multiply it by 10 and it wouldn't be enough. So just fucking stop.

Black Lives Matter. Expect more from people with a platform to act like it.

Deleted member 44122

Now we're in the phase where their message isn't as good as some other big company's message. Do some of you actually care or is this some bizarre sort of game for you guys? Some of you are so fixated on performative bullshit it makes me wonder if you even still have sight of what's going on
people like to complain a lot on era

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Here's a fun exercise: compare this with Niantic's response.

We are not about to rate statements, if you do that than you clearly are now trying to make this a competition for "who has the best statement!"

Nintendo made a statement, they are double matching donations by employees, they went on BlackoutTuesday yesterday.

Yall can stop now and and focus on the true meaning which is to stop racism.