• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Nintendo shares the pain felt in the United States after the tragic death of George Floyd, and we stand with the Black community and all those who recognize our shared humanity and fundamental belief in equity and justice. We reject bias, exclusion, oppression, and the violence that leads to these completely unnecessary deaths. We are committed to fostering equity, inclusion, and diversity in all aspects of our business and the work we do.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix took an action by making donations. I want to see actions with Nintendo. They don't even have any black characters. Please don't bring up that one side character from Metroid.

It took 19 years to get skin color as a choice in Animal Crossing.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there it is. I know they match donations, but I hope they are able to more publicly display their support

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Square Enix took an action by making donations. I want to see actions with Nintendo. They don't even have any black characters. Please don't bring up that one side character from Metroid.
They are double matching donations and they have a policy of helping with this kinda stuff WITHOUT turning it into a PR stunt (so in silence)

(also Elma)

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Impressed they said anything, they are usually silent on things like that, but glad they said something.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo is double matching employee donations, according to an employee's (now deleted) tweet from yesterday. They typically don't publicize their donations, it's actually an explicit company policy.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Good! Knew something was coming.

So much for that BS spouted in the other thread about them 'losing money' by making an announcement.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they actually mentioned George Floyd by name.

We already know they've been matching double-matching donations.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like some weird competition for people in here in which billionaire company can outdo who in PR....

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So I guess overreactions about them can stop now?
Statement like people wanted, didn't promote anything yesterday, and double matched employee donations before that.

edit: as said on later pages since some people want to quote, "overreactions" is about what happened in the previous threads. Not about the lack of a twitter statement (while they were respecting blackouttuesday yesterday).

Last edited:

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

They've been matching double-matching donations.

May 19, 2020
NoA likely had to wait for Japan to clear whatever it is that they wanted to say since they have no actual will of their own. It's not an amazing statement or anything (with no actual statement of action of how they will directly help) but it's better than nothing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Good they made a statement but my cynical glasses remain on. They are a corporation

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Well congrats to NOA for releasing this statement. I always felt that politics and business shouldn't mix, but this is one of those unique situations. Now I hope those in ERA, that asked for Nintendo to step up are satisfied now.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I actually said that them breaking with the norm and issuing a statement on top of their double-matched donation incentive would be a good step yesterday. This is good to see.

Deleted member 69771

you've been quoted to hell and back already but they're double matching all employee donations. also no black characters??? lmao???

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

They're also double-matching the donations of their employees. And while they have a long way to go regarding PoC characters, they do have Twintelle (who might actually get in Smash), Marina, Claude, Urbosa, & Elma (she's debatable for story reasons).