• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
www.seattletimes.com

Coronavirus daily news update: What officials’ drastic measures to stem the pandemic mean for us

Throughout Thursday, on this page, we’ll be posting Seattle Times journalists’ updates on the outbreak and its effects on the Seattle area, the Pacific Northwest and the world.

An employee at Nintendo of America in Redmond has tested positive for COVID-19 and had contact with other Nintendo workers, the video game company confirmed Thursday evening.

All Nintendo employees who were in contact with the person who tested positive are in self-quarantine, whether they have symptoms or not, Nintendo of America wrote in a statement.

"Nintendo of America is supporting this individual as they recover and will continue to take precautions to safeguard the health and well-being of all our employees and the broader community," the statement said.

Nintendo is allowing all employees in Washington state and California to work from home.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
Allowing? It should be mandatory at this point.

Our game studios that collaborate in the same space (about 70 employees) have all started working from home and there's not even 10 confirmed cases in Montreal yet. At this point some regions should definitely have mandatory work from home policies I feel.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo about to drop vaccine news on the next direct just you guys wait.

by sacrificing some of our infinite bucket of joy, the secret Nintendo R&D studio we maintained beneath the storm drains of Tokyo has now developed a digital anti-virus and are delivering it DIRECTLY to you via hidden waves in this presentation

Reveirg

Nov 20, 2017
Our game studios that collaborate in the same space (about 70 employees) have all started working from home and there's not even 10 confirmed cases in Montreal yet. At this point some regions should definitely have mandatory work from home policies I feel.

Gamespace or Indie Asylum?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Cmon Nintendo. Do a free 1 month Nintendo online worldwide to encourage people to stay home and play games with one another remotely. Show the others how it's done.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oof, hope they make it through and everyone else stays healthy. This thing has just gotten scarier really fast.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Question, can someone create a thread of confirmed state and government closing.
Maybe separate them by continental region for other countries.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
dr-mario-world-release.gif

Here's to a speedy recovery! Get well soon, NoA employee(s).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Damn, hopefully everyone stays safe & maintains/regains their good health.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they are headquartered in Washington so it's bound to happen eventually... let's just hope it won't spread any further.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I honestly thought this was about the Redwood City Ninty office. Though either location isn't surprising at all. As a Bay Area resident, I treat corona as more of an inevitability than something to avoid.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wishing the best for all employees there that they keep safe and healthy.

I had a bad feeling when this was all starting near Seattle since Redmond is like half an hour away. Glad NoA is doing WFH for their staff.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
The reaction from the UK and US governments doesn't feel great so far. On the one hand, especially over here in the UK where the government insist they're acting on the best scientific advice they have, you want to believe them... but then it doesn't help when you've got a well-connected political journalist (Robert Peston) claiming that sources have told him the government strategy is based around herd immunity. Either Peston misunderstood or misrepresented what he was told, or the UK government are genuinely willing to let the virus pass through the country quickly so that the most vulnerable are overwhelmed and everyone else develops an immunity. On the public face of it, the UK strategy is (like other countries) to slow the spread of the virus so that health services don't become overwhelmed, which would guarantee a large number of deaths in vulnerable groups, but the UK government are yet to meaningfully begin to shut down public life or enforce proper social distancing. Concerning mixed signals here - and it's not as if our health service is in the best shape, currently.

Best wishes to all those affected. Stay safe, especially those of the community with underlying conditions.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
This thread gave me the idea for a Ring Fit X Dr. Mario crossover. Strange. Any way. Get well soon Nintendo Employee

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Question: Is WFH really that common of an acronym? :O

I literally never saw or read this abbreviation before the pandemic, and I work for a company that has work from home opportunities. Obviously with the circumstances it would be coming up way more often but it's been weird to see an abbreviation that's apparently common second nature that I'd never seen once before now.

OP
OP
BY2K

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada

I literally never saw or read this abbreviation before the pandemic, and I work for a company that has work from home opportunities. Obviously with the circumstances it would be coming up way more often but it's been weird to see an abbreviation that's apparently common second nature that I'd never seen once before now.

To be fair I only used it because I was running out of space.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

The company I work for has WFH, they've always used that term for a long as I've seen that term. Since I don't drive, I've taken full advantage of it. They are encouraging more people to do so.

I hope the Nintendo of America staff stay safe.

Oct 27, 2017

When I see the acronym, my mind wants to translate it to "What Fresh Hell is this". Also, it doesn't roll off the tongue as well as just saying "remote."

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Working from home puts Bowser at more risk, he never should have set up his home office on that bridge

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I have NSO and it's a nice idea for all 3 platforms
Better to use those resources to continue to take care of their employees, who are actually being impacted by this for who knows how long instead of "You get something free and YOU get something free!"

Not every bad situation has to result in giveaways for customers. Take care of employees in need first.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Asking for or suggesting the distribution of free online gaming services is like some weird, twisted port-begging of a service by leveraging a pandemic. Also keep in mind that these services aren't just somebody flipping a switch and having everything just "work". The folks that keep the lights on, so to speak, may or may not have the option or capabilities to be working from home right now.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
If a mod could step in here, I think joking about this news with shit like "And the wait for a direct gets longer" is not appropriate. People's lives are at stake here and it isn't funny.

The health of Nintendo's employees comes first before the health of Nintendo as a company. If it takes them longer to put out a direct, then so be it.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Well here we go. Another thread is showing how gross people can be when people's lives are at stake. Not surprised at all just sad.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
But why cancel PAX, GDC, E3? Its not like people are traveling from all over the world or something.

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Was surpised by that too, we always call it home office or HO.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
When I see the acronym, my mind wants to translate it to "What Fresh Hell is this". Also, it doesn't roll off the tongue as well as just saying "remote."

Well, you're working from home, there's no need for it to roll off the tongue well- you're typing it, hah.

It's what everyone I work with calls it. (Plus "remote" is used more for our team members that aren't in the US/same office.)

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm in the UK - there is an expected 10,000 cases and my employer is only allowing senior staff to WFH. Us junior lot are forced to come in. It's disgusting.