• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
TBF the complaints I see with that are less about the piracy aspect getting killed and more the fact the couple was given a ludicrously expensive fine that they will literally never be able to pay back in their lifetime, which seems like a nuclear reaction compared to a smaller scale fine that could actually get paid off
I mean have you seen the comments, it's obvious that a big part of them are pissed because Nintendo is being a "downer" for doing all that because of "old games", most of them are even using saying that is not piracy

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I certainly don't blame them for wanting to wash their hands of the scene completely and forever after the events of this summer. Which by the way have not exactly been completely washed of from said scene, [link]
I wouldn't blame them either now, even though I would say the vast majority of the community likewise was not happy with the link you showed. But, as people have said whenever others have brought this up, this isn't year old historical precedent, it's decade. Don't get me wrong, as I said I understand - but the community that is no longer comprised of the horrible individuals revealed during this past summer (and prior), has 0 expectations for Nintendo to ever act. They never have, and unlikely ever will. Would love to be proven wrong, of course.

I'm also of the personal opinion that Nintendo's lack of involvement made the scene all the more shady due to the local focus, and that directly, without a doubt, lead to the horrible people we all know being prominent. No officials, no systems for bans/reporting conduct, nothing - because the scenes were relegated to locals for tremendously long.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this sort of thing still most likely a fallout from what happened with the whole Smash tourney scene? Where there was misconduct and some pretty gross behavior tied to Smash Bros players? It makes me think Nintendo wants to control the competitive side of things and keep a more watchful eye on what's happening when their name and videogames are involved.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this sort of thing still most likely a fallout from what happened with the whole Smash tourney scene? Where there was misconduct and some pretty gross behavior tied to Smash Bros players? It makes me think Nintendo wants to control the competitive side of things and keep a more watchful eye on what's happening when their name and videogames are involved.
No, because Nintendo has been doing this sort of thing for years and the allegations and behavior came to light this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Should be noted, they didn't CD the event. They told the hosts that they can go ahead with HS-related stuff, that's the demographic they wanna focus on. Less of a CD, more of a "hey, do this later, do this instead" request

So basically they're still allowing PlayVS to offer their services at a high school level, but apparently there's a plan from Nintendo to offer this sort of thing at a college level officially while PlayVS postpones their Smash side of the program?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No, because Nintendo has been doing this sort of thing for years and the allegations and behavior came to light this year.
But there were plenty of tourneys without their involvement before. Anyway I just saw that discord message regarding this and it seems it's just postponed. Need more info to know what's really going on.

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't blame them either now, even though I would say the vast majority of the community likewise was not happy with the link you showed. But, as people have said whenever others have brought this up, this isn't year old historical precedent, it's decade. Don't get me wrong, as I said I understand - but the community that is no longer comprised of the horrible individuals revealed during this past summer (and prior), has 0 expectations for Nintendo to ever act. They never have, and unlikely ever will. Would love to be proven wrong, of course.

I'm also of the personal opinion that Nintendo's lack of involvement made the scene all the more shady due to the local focus, and that directly, without a doubt, lead to the horrible people we all know being prominent. No officials, no systems for bans/reporting conduct, nothing - because the scenes were relegated to locals for tremendously long.
I would hope there aren't anymore individuals like them still there, but it goes without saying that the bad taste still lingers and will for a very long time. Not to mention that among the offenders were the champ himself ZeRo and even larger one of the founders of EVO. That means that the rot also stretched to the top.

As you said and in such brought up a great point; there was little to no actual means of ensuring this disaster couldn't happen in the first place. This seemingly is no different that just some random people meeting together in a large group. No security, no people to report to. And did they really not even have people to enforce bans? No moderation whatsoever? That's even worse. Do they have anything of the sort now? If not, then what exactly warrants faith that this won't reoccur? Just because you got rid of trash the first time, doesn't mean more won't fester down the road. They need to perform top tier background checks on ALL competitors and anyone who wishes to be part of any of this.

Frankly I'm not even sure if kids should even be involved as they were the core victims during this. That's legit even more dangerous. Who really thought it was a good idea not to have these sorts of things mandate an 18+ only gathering? Kids can just train until they're 18, easy. Don't get involved with people many years older than you. It's classic stranger danger.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So basically they're still allowing PlayVS to offer their services at a high school level, but apparently there's a plan from Nintendo to offer this sort of thing at a college level officially while PlayVS postpones their Smash side of the program?

Campus Challenge returning like the NWC did? IDK, the only idea I have next to them not doing anything in the end

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly crazy how much money Nintendo could make if they just stopped acting like a controlling ex to all their competitive communities.

Very little in comparison to the amounts they make otherwise. The tournament scene is not a lucrative business by Nintendo's standards, and the people who play in it and care about it are a tiny speck compared to the number of people who bought the game. Considering how often scandals pop up in esports, Nintendo likely doesn't see the risk to their image as worth it, preferring to remain their usual squeaky clean in that regard. If they piss off a few thousand Smash tourney devotees, why should they care? There are literally millions more people who will never know it happened and keep giving them money for the new characters. A cancelled videogame tournament is never going to make the news, but a sex scandal at Smash tournaments, that just might. And are those pissed off people going to not buy the new characters? Bet they will, no matter how mad they get at this.

It's not about the game "seeming hardcore" or whatever nonsense. It's protecting the family friendly image and knowing the number of people they piss off doing so is not remotely large enough to care about. Companies are not our friends.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
Wait, the corporations that always cared about it's bottom line and has billions in the bank barely cares about the community that supports them beyond selling more of their products to them, using emulators created by online community to use it to sell their own product and send cease and decease letters that infringe on their trade marks and IPs in any shape or form, I am shocked 😲.

Apr 25, 2020
Nintendo view themselves as a toy company for children, and they will never budge from that self perception, despite the fact a large part of their core audience are now pushing 30. It is almost religious in how dogmatic they are about it. The only reason you see mature third party games on their platforms at all is because they know they can't compete with Sony and MS with just their first party output. Both are business decisions for different reasons, but ultimately it is just Nintendo wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

The pedo scandals in the realm of competitive Smash have spooked them into full retreat when it comes to community engagement, and they were already on shaky legs before that over their obsession with ruling over their IP with an iron fist, and their disdain for online gaming (which is a key element of competitive scenes) is well documented.

In short, Nintendo cannot find a way to harmonize the trifecta of their business decisions, their core principles and the evolving expectations of their communities, and their aging core player base are really starting to become fed up with it.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018

Nintendo is bullshitting as usual. They've used the "we're planning on running this kind of event ourselves" card multiples times in the past, only to never do anything and screw over companies like Red Bull and Twitch. (and the Smash scene as a whole)

OP, are you going to put an update/treadmark on the thread that the tournament is being postponed?

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I would hope there aren't anymore individuals like them still there, but it goes without saying that the bad taste still lingers and will for a very long time. Not to mention that among the offenders were the champ himself ZeRo and even larger one of the founders of EVO. That means that the rot also stretched to the top.

As you said and in such brought up a great point; there was little to no actual means of ensuring this disaster couldn't happen in the first place. This seemingly is no different that just some random people meeting together in a large group. No security, no people to report to. And did they really not even have people to enforce bans? No moderation whatsoever? That's even worse. Do they have anything of the sort now? If not, then what exactly warrants faith that this won't reoccur? Just because you got rid of trash the first time, doesn't mean more won't fester down the road. They need to perform top tier background checks on ALL competitors and anyone who wishes to be part of any of this.

Frankly I'm not even sure if kids should even be involved as they were the core victims during this. That's legit even more dangerous. Who really thought it was a good idea not to have these sorts of things mandate an 18+ only gathering? Kids can just train until they're 18, easy. Don't get involved with people many years older than you. It's classic stranger danger.
How does a local-focused community enforce non-local bans? Who punishes the TO's for allowing a player banned from tourneys and events in another county 70 miles away? There were pretty much no circuits with any ability to any of this for decades instead events were hosted & paid for, by the community. Enforced by the community. A community fractured into thousands of communities, rarely getting together as there were few, if any, sanctioned or supported events that weren't hosted & paid for by the community. A community whose attempts at a board of conduct crumbled miserably, still years too late. It's so frustrating knowing how all of that crap(the summer revelations and similar stuff prior) could have been prevented if there was some way to 'stop' them along the way. Not that there were no options, just few truly effective ones (if any). It's a blight on the community, one that can't be gotten rid of even WITH those people gone - the blight remains. And that's tragic for everyone involved.

It's not Nintendo's fault that those events happened; but Nintendo could've helped prevent it. Other companies could've helped prevent it, if Nintendo didn't step in and kill those events. If the communities hadn't been left alone. It's just so frustrating. And it almost certainly won't change, nothing will change. And that horribleness may have happened already or will happen again. I can only hope the more unified post-summer community doesn't let anything like it happen, after all they're the only ones who can do anything at all, they won't get any larger support.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
The same company that finally made a new sandbox 3D Mario game, a "Skyrim" Zelda game, a sequel to Pokemon Snap (granted that's TPC), got eon requested characters (like Banjo) into Smash, got rid of region-locking (remember that?), clearly hate their fans. Sure.

TPC doesn't make games, they just handle licensing and distribution.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Hostility
What's funny is that these same people creamed themselves over Sephiroth, looking at you Hungrybox.

Oh hey its one of the goons who fit right into the earlier post like clockwork

Not you nor Hero of Legend truly give a shit about anyone, just the few moments of attention you get from being quoted. Are you happy?

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018

You know, I agree with most of this. The only problem is that is almost impossible:

Can't enforce rules very well if you don't have enough money and resources.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Fighting game esports community especially from only one game is too small and Nintendo too big. Most of Nintendo's audience doesn't give a damn so not even outrage will likely work. It's a hopeless battle. Them being japanese makes it even harder.

Do japanese switch players even care about any of this?

Oct 27, 2017
666481.jpg

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Oh hey its one of the goons who fit right into the earlier post like clockwork

And what does buying the fighter pass ahead of time have to do with creaming themselves over Sephiroth and posting a video about it for views?

And calling me a grown too. Yeah, whatever.

Not you nor Hero of Legend truly give a shit about anyone, just the few moments of attention you get from being quoted. Are you happy?

I don't give a shit about anyone because I mocked people not updating their stories as Nate pointed out, while also making videos about how cool Sephiroth is for views when they didn't have to make the videos at all. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Oct 26, 2017
How does a local-focused community enforce non-local bans? Who punishes the TO's for allowing a player banned from tourneys and events in another county 70 miles away? There were pretty much no circuits with any ability to any of this for decades instead events were hosted & paid for, by the community. Enforced by the community. A community fractured into thousands of communities, rarely getting together as there were few, if any, sanctioned or supported events that weren't hosted & paid for by the community. A community whose attempts at a board of conduct crumbled miserably, still years too late. It's so frustrating knowing how all of that crap(the summer revelations and similar stuff prior) could have been prevented if there was some way to 'stop' them along the way. Not that there were no options, just few truly effective ones (if any). It's a blight on the community, one that can't be gotten rid of even WITH those people gone - the blight remains. And that's tragic for everyone involved.

It's not Nintendo's fault that those events happened; but Nintendo could've helped prevent it. Other companies could've helped prevent it, if Nintendo didn't step in and kill those events. If the communities hadn't been left alone. It's just so frustrating. And it almost certainly won't change, nothing will change. And that horribleness may have happened already or will happen again. I can only hope the more unified post-summer community doesn't let anything like it happen, after all they're the only ones who can do anything at all, they won't get any larger support.
I guess it's up to the community to sort this out. Yeah it'd be nice if Nintendo got everything under one roof with their full firm oversight, but obviously that's extremely unlikely.

Nor will they give an update. The outrage at Nintendo gets the views. Not the actual story.
Yepper.
TPC doesn't make games, they just handle licensing and distribution.
Right, in that instance I meant publishing/greenlighting with TPC. Nintendo with those other examples do it all. :P
You know, I agree with most of this. The only problem is that is almost impossible:

Can't enforce rules very well if you don't have enough money and resources.
Yeah. This will be a very uphill battle for them to overcome. Hopefully things can work out. I'm not an expert on that so I can't ust magically come up with obvious solutions.

Grimsiege

Oct 20, 2020
That's pretty disappointing. I can sort of understand if they'd be hesitant about Nintendo eSports because of what happened earlier this year, but they've been doing this for a very long time. It's pretty clear they have no interest in supporting the community and actively go against it.

I wonder how much more the community will take.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Era's unofficial motto is "Corporations aren't your friends" yet we have so many threads that boil down to " why won't you be cool faceless corporation?" Nintendo is an old company that likes to control their product. They have no interest in being chill.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
And what does buying the fighter pass ahead of time have to do with creaming themselves over Sephiroth and posting a video about it for views?

And calling me a grown too. Yeah, whatever.

I don't give a shit about anyone because I mocked people not updating their stories as Nate pointed out, while also making videos about how cool Sephiroth is for views when they didn't have to make the videos at all. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Nah, you're always in here trying your best to shut down any criticism of Nintendo. Its transparent as fuck and kind of disgusting.

Oct 12, 2020

Nintendo is bullshitting as usual. They've used the "we're planning on running this kind of event ourselves" card multiples times in the past, only to never do anything and screw over companies like Red Bull and Twitch. (and the Smash scene as a whole)

Posting a video of Leffen is the perfect example, why Nintendo doesn't want to build up the Smash community or have a big eSport scene. You pretty much building time-bombs, which get bigger over time. At any moment they can explode through scandals (like seen with Zero), using their influence against you (like it is happening now) or you have to deal with assholes like Leffen in a bigger scale. Why would Nintendo want invest into something, they can't control and may harm all their IPs at once (because of the natur of Smash)? They already make enough money with the game, that there is no reason for them to play such a dangerous game.
So the Smash community is great in being a example, why Nintendo doesn't want to build them up.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Nah, you're always in here trying your best to shut down any criticism of Nintendo. Its transparent as fuck and kind of disgusting.

Give me a break. On all the posts I made on this subject, in one thread I said that people need to go to court to get streaming laws on the book instead of operating in the grey area so companies like Nintendo can't shut down streams with the only recourse being to shame them and stop supporting products since no company is going to listen to you if all you do is bitch on twitter and then turn away and buy their stuff anyway. In the last thread was the whole joy con fiasco where you in the Smash community let a con artist in who took advantage of two dead people, mental health, charity, and threw the family of someone who committed suicide under the bus to save his skin.

Yet, you find that disgusting. Then fine. I am disgusting. But you know what. I would rather be called cooperation, bootlicking shrill, then aligning myself with someone who took advantage of the dead and used charity as shield for a quick buck and none of the talking heads have the balls to man up and report what happened. Instead, they post Sephiroth's reaction videos.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I guess it's up to the community to sort this out. Yeah it'd be nice if Nintendo got everything under one roof with their full firm oversight, but obviously that's extremely unlikely.

Yepper.

Right, in that instance I meant publishing/greenlighting with TPC. Nintendo with those other examples do it all. :P

Yeah. This will be a very uphill battle for them to overcome. Hopefully things can work out. I'm not an expert on that so I can't ust magically come up with obvious solutions.
Yeah. Just wanna say I fully agree with disliking the outrage-culture, especially when stuff ain't updated. I appreciated the discussion, thank you for engaging! <3

Oct 12, 2020
Nah, you're always in here trying your best to shut down any criticism of Nintendo. Its transparent as fuck and kind of
And in any thread about Smash i saw, you are constantly attacking people, which don't share your opinion. Not even with arguments, just trying to shut down people. Seriously stop it and bring something to the discussion and not just be so antagonistic.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Posting a video of Leffen is the perfect example, why Nintendo doesn't want to build up the Smash community or have a big eSport scene. You pretty much building time-bombs, which get bigger over time. At any moment they can explode through scandals (like seen with Zero), using their influence against you (like it is happening now) or you have to deal eith assholes like Leffen in a bigger scale. Why would Nintendo want invest into something, they can't control and may harm all their IPs at once (because of the natur of Smash)? They already make enough money with the game, that there is no reason for them to play such a dangerous game.
So the Smash community is great in being a example, why Nintendo doesn't want to build them up.
This is also how I see it. Didn't Nintendo fly these people out to E3, let them meet Sakurai and play Ultimate on stage before pretty much anyone else? Then to have that blow up in their face this summer. I'm not sure if Nintendo wants to keep being associated with this community that seems to just bash them nonstop.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
ignored people trying to quote is cute. Fans already got 4 player working with rollback netcode, which is threadworthy on any other board as its something defenders always claimed "can't be done for 4 player that's why Nintendo didn't do it".

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should be noted, they didn't CD the event. They told the hosts that they can go ahead with HS-related stuff, that's the demographic they wanna focus on. Less of a CD, more of a "hey, do this later, do this instead" request

Nintendo can be weird, and a bit shit about these things, but it would probably only help if we weren't constantly being fed half the story.

Nov 4, 2017
Yep, good to see Nintendo being once again... adept at using questionable tactics.

The problem being that some, including here, will defend them. And it's not only fanboys, but some """"journalists"""" too.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, good to see Nintendo being once again... adept at using questionable tactics.

The problem being that some, including here, will defend them. And it's not only fanboys, but some """"journalists"""" too.
I'd say not getting the full story or false information is a bigger problem. People wanna be outraged though, so they'll just take a tweet or YouTube video at face value. People wanting details are always seen as corporate apologists or something.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
ignored people trying to quote is cute. Fans already got 4 player working with rollback netcode, which is threadworthy on any other board as its something defenders always claimed "can't be done for 4 player that's why Nintendo didn't do it".
Pixel, I appreciate some of your posts in other threads where you defended melee against this forum's unjustified anti-competitive attitudes towards it. However, you need to calm down. You have been attacking a lot of posters in this thread and the previous one for not sharing your opinion.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pixel, I appreciate some of your posts in other threads where you defended melee against this forum's unjustified anti-competitive attitudes towards it. However, you need to calm down. You have been attacking a lot of posters in this thread and the previous one for not sharing your opinion.

My opinion is that things can and should be better, both internally and externally with these games. Its always the same users who don't seem to really understand that there are real people with their livelihoods attached to this. Grifter guy with joycons should be made more public, and ive said as much, but the fact that he even exists is being weaponized as a way to excuse anything and everything else that's happening.

Put simply Nintendo have lied that you require "illegally obtained copies". They have lied about good netcode being possible, or at the very least let Bandai Namco mislead them (especially when ARMS apparently works well). Lying about any kind of support regarding tournaments, shutting down basically all of emulation even when its either not their own roms or shit they own but refuse to provide for fans. I dunno, its fucking endless and it seems people are always willing to bat for every company whether its CDPR, Nintendo or Ubisoft or whatever when they're just suits.

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
with this attitude, maybe it's not so bad that F-Zero is dead because i'd be livid if they pulled this shit with F-Zero games (since the series is dead, no one cares about those games. there's tons of F-Zero videos with mods and shit that never get a single notice)

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but it's just another adding in a sea of them that's spiraled out of control because either due to misinformation, or because people are "having their fun ruined". Another example I saw was someone tweeting this:

Case and point. We have people actually bitching they can't pirate games. Can you see why I'm, to put it politely, irked?

Hang on. You're posting an example of a multi-billion dollar corporation suing two individuals for millions of dollars for uh... illegally offering some old video games for free, as a defense of Nintendo? Do I have this right? I can't, because that would be fucking bonkers.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop buying Nintendo products. Their anti consumer practices are egregious. There are an infinite number of games to play that aren't Nintendo or on Nintendo consoles. We need to speak with our wallets as consumers.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I have next to no information on this subject but I can tell you this much, I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

Actually when it comes to Pokémon on Nintendo platforms, all the games are handled by Nintendo for publishing and distribution. Nintendo doesn't handle the stuff outside of selling games on Nintendo hardware, that's what TPC does.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Stop buying Nintendo products. Their anti consumer practices are egregious. There are an infinite number of games to play that aren't Nintendo or on Nintendo consoles. We need to speak with our wallets as consumers.

You know that's not going to work, everyone bootlicked Nintendo when Sephiroth was announced for Smash Bros.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hang on

With this one they're just asking for the competitions to be delayed? They haven't C&D'd anything and it was just a request? That's the way I'm reading it.

Why are we pitchforking?

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Posting a video of Leffen is the perfect example, why Nintendo doesn't want to build up the Smash community or have a big eSport scene. You pretty much building time-bombs, which get bigger over time. At any moment they can explode through scandals (like seen with Zero), using their influence against you (like it is happening now) or you have to deal with assholes like Leffen in a bigger scale. Why would Nintendo want invest into something, they can't control and may harm all their IPs at once (because of the natur of Smash)? They already make enough money with the game, that there is no reason for them to play such a dangerous game.

So you think a strategy of essentially trusting no one is healthy? Forget even the money, that's just a toxic mentality.

Why should Nintendo hire anybody? Why hire those casters for those Splatoon tournaments? They can be murderers for all we know! /s

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hang on

With this one they're just asking for the competitions to be delayed? They haven't C&D'd anything and it was just a request? That's the way I'm reading it.

Why are we pitchforking?
Cause people are ready to be outraged before they get the full story of course

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I see we're still pretending that everyone in the Smash community is a pedophile and that the community isn't still full of people who were victims and affected by that who are now the ones being harmed by Nintendo's actions. Always fun, I guess.

One of the weirdest takes I saw in the summer was how it was NINTENDO'S FAULT what happened to the Smash Community because if they had a more hands-on approach, then it would never have happened.

Nintendo can't win haha.