• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

Nintendo is bullshitting as usual. They've used the "we're planning on running this kind of event ourselves" card multiples times in the past, only to never do anything and screw over companies like Red Bull and Twitch. (and the Smash scene as a whole)

Last edited:

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
It's honestly crazy how much money Nintendo could make if they just stopped acting like a controlling ex to all their competitive communities.

Edit: I think I should clarify that yes, I realize Nintendo is perfectly fine by not doing this, it's just crazy how they have nothing to lose and could make a tidy profit, and they still choose to work against their competitive scenes.

Last edited:

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Given how Nintendo is usually a decade behind on a lot of things, I can see them caring about esports in 2030

This is just so shitty of them. They have nothing to lose from this.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
h4tWrCY.png

Oct 26, 2017
The message makes no sense (if anyone actually read it):

EpiFY29XcAINyq_

They say the publisher (I'm assuming Nintendo but they're oddly not named) wants to wait to restart their College initiatives? What does that mean? What College initiatives does Nintendo do?

This doesn't add up. Also there's always the likelihood of them trying to profit off of this which as we all know Nintendo is very against if they don't have a license/permission to do so.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, this isn't surprising, Nintendo has always been like this.

Let's get real, I know it sucks and it's not "fair", but people really need to stop rallying around nintendo products when it comes to esports and high level play. They have 0 interest in fostering those communities and are actively out to harm them. You'd be better off just going elsewhere.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, this isn't surprising, Nintendo has always been like this.

Let's get real, I know it sucks and it's not "fair", but people really need to stop rallying around nintendo products when it comes to esports and high level play. They have 0 interest in fostering those communities and are actively out to harm them. You'd be better off just going elsewhere.

Fuck that. Row row fight the power

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is bullshitting as usual. They've used the "we're planning on running this kind of event ourselves" card multiples times in the past, only to never do anything and screw over companies like Red Bull and Twitch. (and the Smash scene as a whole)
Nintendo literally has no reason to lie about that though. Like, they could just shut it down and not offer a reason for it. They have shown pretty definitively they do not care about backlash from the competitive side. It seems way more likely that there is intent to set up events but for various reasons they fall through. Rather than some weird conspiracy that Nintendo is screwing over Red Bull and Twitch just so they can lie to Smash fans for no reason?

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't understand how Nintendo can tell people they can't run a tournament... like, how is that legal? If I buy a bunch of Switch consoles and copies of the game how the fuck can they tell me how I can and can't play on those consoles? They have my money

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo literally has no reason to lie about that though. Like, they could just shut it down and not offer a reason for it. They have shown pretty definitively they do not care about backlash from the competitive side. It seems way more likely that there is intent to set up events but for various reasons they fall through. Rather than some weird conspiracy that Nintendo is screwing over Red Bull and Twitch just so they can lie to Smash fans for no reason?

I mean, it's way more likely that they'll say they're going to do their own events...and then not do them. Because they don't care.

nintendo likes tight control over everything.. I feel they dont understand how marketing works in real life?

They do. They most likely don't see esports as a meaningful outlet for their marketing though. If the game is going to sell anyway, why foster this potentially scary looking part of it that may make the game seem too hardcore and scare off people that just want to have mario fight a pikachu?

It sucks, and in my opinion, it's pretty foolish, but...here we are.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this for real? Nintendo are marketing masters, their shit prints money.
Some people, my god. Oh a 130+ year old company doesn't understand marketing because they don't let people hold tournaments unlicensed. Jeez.

And again; reading comprehension; Smash in this scenario is merely postponed. It says at a later date. Whether that means by Nintendo's own hands or collabs, I don't know, but this is clearly not permanent if we go by these words which so far, are all we literally have. No statement sent to press, nothing. Just a discord post and nothing more.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't know what the excuse or defense could even be here. There's no "piracy" or emulators involved. This is super stupid.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these Japanese companies seem stuck in the 90's. Atlus has been extremely weird about stuff like streaming and lets not forget that up until last generation on the PS4/XB1 Square Enix was really weird about allowing for their games to have digital versions because they thought it would increase piracy.

Oct 26, 2017
Should be noted, they didn't CD the event. They told the hosts that they can go ahead with HS-related stuff, that's the demographic they wanna focus on. Less of a CD, more of a "hey, do this later, do this instead" request

There, as I just said. Postponed. But no let's just bring out the torches and pitchforks because Nintendo is evil.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
It's honestly crazy how much money Nintendo could make if they just stopped acting like a controlling ex to all their competitive communities.

Nintendo has made over a billion dollars on Ultimate, they really don't need to care about the competitive scene from a financial or marketing standpoint. Like any benefit on that front for them would at most equal a rounding error.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand how Nintendo can tell people they can't run a tournament... like, how is that legal? If I buy a bunch of Switch consoles and copies of the game how the fuck can they tell me how I can and can't play on those consoles? They have my money

You can legally run a tournament, but whether footage of that tournament can be streamed online is a legal grey area. Does it fall under fair use? Maybe? Will anyone go to court to establish a legal precedence? Not so far.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo hates their fans and thus far that strategy has been working for em so why change?
The same company that finally made a new sandbox 3D Mario game, a "Skyrim" Zelda game, a sequel to Pokemon Snap (granted that's TPC), got eon requested characters (like Banjo) into Smash, got rid of region-locking (remember that?), clearly hate their fans. Sure.

Oct 26, 2017
The torches weren't put away though, the Melee stuff has been going for a while now, so...
Oh believe me I've noticed! Most likely still don't know about the Etika Joy-Con maker being a total grifter because some people conveniently won't update their viewers on the news about this joker since that part began.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Some people, my god. Oh a 130+ year old company doesn't understand marketing because they don't let people hold tournaments unlicensed. Jeez.

And again; reading comprehension; Smash in this scenario is merely postponed. It says at a later date. Whether that means by Nintendo's own hands or collabs, I don't know, but this is clearly not permanent if we go by these words which so far, are all we literally have. No statement sent to press, nothing. Just a discord post and nothing more.
I 100% understand you, but people have just seen this before. It's not conspiracy stuff, agreements were agreed upon but not signed, Nintendo didn't sign, ghosted, then said "hey we'll come back to you with New Game and do that instead" and guess what didn't happen? Why would, now, not back then, Nintendo suddenly start their own setup?

But even besides all that, I gotcha, maybe something will come of it. For now, based on historical precedent, it's best to expect literally nothing. Would be maybe cool if something happens, but that's exceedingly doubtful. It's all nothing more than disappointing, so people would love to just... not be disappointed.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
There, as I just said. Postponed. But no let's just bring out the torches and pitchforks because Nintendo is evil.
As far as controversies go, this is pretty weak. I can't help but feel that between this and the joy-con seller that the outrage is manufactured in a cynical attempt to boost the flailing #FreeMelee movement.

Oct 26, 2017
I 100% understand you, but people have just seen this before. It's not conspiracy stuff, agreements were agreed upon but not signed, Nintendo didn't sign, ghosted, then said "hey we'll come back to you with New Game and do that instead" and guess what didn't happen? Why would, now, not back then, Nintendo suddenly start their own setup?

But even besides all that, I gotcha, maybe something will come of it. For now, based on historical precedent, it's best to expect literally nothing. Would be maybe cool if something happens, but that's exceedingly doubtful.
I don't know what Nintendo's ultimate goals regarding the Smash and larger competitive scene is. I certainly don't blame them for wanting to wash their hands of the scene completely and forever after the events of this summer. Which by the way have not exactly been completely washed of from said scene, because one of the offenders was recently spotlighted in that new Melee scene documentary:

I like Nintendo's developers!

The business? Nah.
Their business of how they handle people in the community is not always agreeable, but Nintendo have just reasons for making their moves (again with events having to do with being licensed, trademark infringements, etc.).

And you do agree with what people are complaining about in that regard, I assume?
I see Nintendo's point of view in these scenarios because I can grasp their reasonings. I'm not in the group that tries to push their buttons and then act surprised when said company isn't happy.

Nov 1, 2020
A lot of these Japanese companies seem stuck in the 90's. Atlus has been extremely weird about stuff like streaming and lets not forget that up until last generation on the PS4/XB1 Square Enix was really weird about allowing for their games to have digital versions because they thought it would increase piracy.
Wouldn't be surprising. Corporate Japan does have a reputation for being... uh, traditional, one could say. Fax machines, I'm looking at you.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I see we're still pretending that everyone in the Smash community is a pedophile and that the community isn't still full of people who were victims and affected by that who are now the ones being harmed by Nintendo's actions. Always fun, I guess.

Aug 15, 2020
Should be noted, they didn't CD the event. They told the hosts that they can go ahead with HS-related stuff, that's the demographic they wanna focus on. Less of a CD, more of a "hey, do this later, do this instead" request

It should also be noted that PlayVS is a platform that sells their service to schools or parents/guardians at $64 per student. Included in this annual plan is access to all titles.

It seems like they are happy to let them continue to work with the NFHS and state partnerships they have but are otherwise working on their own thing that is implied to be revealed soon.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
As far as controversies go, this is pretty weak. I can't help but feel that between this and the joy-con seller that the outrage is manufactured in a cynical attempt to boost the flailing #FreeMelee movement.
Right, but it's just another adding in a sea of them that's spiraled out of control because either due to misinformation, or because people are "having their fun ruined". Another example I saw was someone tweeting this:

Case and point. We have people actually bitching they can't pirate games. Can you see why I'm, to put it politely, irked?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't know what Nintendo's ultimate goals regarding the Smash and larger competitive scene is. I certainly don't blame them for wanting to wash their hands of the scene completely and forever after the events of this summer. Which by the way have not exactly been completely washed of from said scene, because one of the offenders was recently spotlighted in that new Melee scene documentary:

Their business of how they handle people in the community is not always agreeable, but Nintendo have just reasons for making their moves (again with events having to do with being licensed, trademark infringements, etc.).

I see Nintendo's point of view in these scenarios because I can grasp their reasonings. I'm not in the group that tries to push their buttons and then act surprised when said company isn't happy.
Well, time to start thinking as a consumer then, just a little piece of advice to take into account.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Wouldn't be surprising. Corporate Japan does have a reputation for being... uh, traditional, one could say. Fax machines, I'm looking at you.

Hoooo boy don't even get me started on arc system works. Being told I could never show off the full story mode of Double Dragon IV (a pixel art game) to "prevent spoilers" when I got a review embargo (this applies even after launch and to my knowledge, is still a restriction akin to Blazblue games) was a surprise to say the least. A lot of companies are like that and honestly it makes me hopeful for the companies that are hiring more younger talent as of late like Sega/Capcom, and Nintendo is making tiny baby steps on that trend too
Right, but it's just another adding in a sea of them that's spiraled out of control because either due to misinformation, or because people are "having their fun ruined". Another example I saw was someone tweeting this:

Case and point. We have people actually bitching they can't pirate games. Can you see why I'm, to put it politely, irked?

TBF the complaints I see with that are less about the piracy aspect getting killed and more the fact the couple was given a ludicrously expensive fine that they will literally never be able to pay back in their lifetime, which seems like a nuclear reaction compared to a smaller scale fine that could actually get paid off

Aug 15, 2020
Hoooo boy don't even get me started on arc system works. Being told I could never show off the full story mode of Double Dragon IV (a pixel art game) to "prevent spoilers" when I got a review embargo (this applies even after launch and to my knowledge, is still a restriction akin to Blazblue games) was a surprise to say the least. A lot of companies are like that and honestly it makes me hopeful for the companies that are hiring more younger talent as of late like Sega/Capcom, and Nintendo is making tiny baby steps on that trend too

TBF the complaints I see with that are less about the piracy aspect getting killed and more the fact the couple was given a ludicrously expensive fine that they will literally never be able to pay back in their lifetime, which seems like a nuclear reaction compared to a smaller scale fine that could actually get paid off

The fine was most likely a legal document deterrent. The couple was selling ads and subscriptions to access their site and that it is likely they were not obligated to pay the fine but instead settled for a smaller amount in private - probably comparable to whatever they made from the ads and subscriptions.

Last edited: