• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are not stopping him for selling the console. He can relist and sell with no problem.
Sure, but the whole purpose of pressuring Ebay to take down listings is to attempt to prevent people from reselling the console. They aren't going to actually succeed at preventing aftermarket sales of their consoles because that would be illegal.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sure, but the whole purpose of pressuring Ebay to take down listings is to attempt to prevent people from reselling the console.

The purpose was to stop him from advertising it as being moddable and trying to profit off that.

Nintendo wouldn't have done anything if he didn't put that part in the listing (or at least made it less blatant).

HDNA

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Ignoring staff post, implying piracy of most users
I pointed out that the Switch is an old model which can be modified.
Most people modify their console so they could play games without buying them, from nintendo's point of view you are saying that your switch can play games for free, of course they are gonna take your offering down. Should have posted some letters of the serial number or told buyers that you will gladly answer questions about the switch, i mean "is it modifiable" will always be the first question, or at least said you bought it in 2017

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Just re-list it with all the markers that it is modifiable without actually mentioning it. So stuff like launch console, unpatched model, serial number range, FW etc. People who know their shit will know what it is.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Just don't advertise it.
List part of the serial, specify is a launch model, etc.

If you just want a high sell price because it can be modded, then set the auction at the minimum price you would like or put it as Buy it Now.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Refering to any kind of modifications or potential will always result in a delete. Especially if its a current plattform that is still being sold a new.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Most people modify their console so they could play games without buying them, from nintendo's point of view you are saying that your switch can play games for free, of course they are gonna take your offering down. Should have posted some letters of the serial number or told buyers that you will gladly answer questions about the switch, i mean "is it modifiable" will always be the first question, or at least said you bought it in 2017
Nah. Who am I to decide what the buyer does with it? That's none of my business and an ugly move from Nintendo for sure.

Oct 29, 2017
Terms on eBay are clear to follow, and YouTube also removing videos on Switch homebrew makes it clear Nintendo isn't messing around on this any longer. A simple relisting using coded language that others have suggested should be an effective remedy.

Thankfully google and bing make it easy to find any resources needed to hack the console, and the YouTube strikes are blessings in disguise since those videos become outdated very, very quickly. Hackable Switch consoles are becoming rarer and rarer, though. The only exploit that works on Mariko Switch consoles requires the user to have remained on FW 4.1.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If I put modded anything on eBay with a company that's still in business I know my ass is shooting from half court lmao

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nah. Who am I to decide what the buyer does with it? none of my business and an ugly move from Nintendo for sure.

You as the seller are helping decide by stating that it is hackable and I'm sure the OP wanted more money for that fact.

If I put modded anything on eBay with a company that's still in business I know my ass is shooting from half court lmao

Yep. It's certainly not just a Nintendo thing.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The purpose was to stop him from advertising it as being moddable and trying to profit off that.

Nintendo wouldn't have done anything if he didn't put that part in the listing (or at least made it less blatant).
It being modable is Nintendo's own doing. The idea that something inherent to the hardware that Nintendo produced gives Nintendo justification to take down listings of the product they sold in the first place is ridiculous.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It being modable is Nintendo's own doing. The idea that something inherent to the hardware that Nintendo produced gives Nintendo justification to take down listings of the product they sold in the first place is ridiculous

He was trying to profit off it being moddable. Why is it so hard to list it without saying that? Every other company would do the same. Mention that you have a PS4 with the right firmware to be hacked and expect Sony to ask for it to be taken down too.

Also it was a Nvidia problem not a Nintendo one. It affects a lot of Nvidia products.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
nintendo can go fuck itself in general. theyre still so far behind the times in every way that involves the internet lol.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was trying to profit off it being moddable. Why is it so hard to list it without saying that? Every other company would do the same. Mention that you have a PS4 with the right firmware to be hacked and expect Sony to ask for it to be taken down too.

Also it was a Nvidia problem not a Nintendo one. It affects a lot of Nvidia products.
It's not hard to list it without saying that, but saying that is not a good justification for taking down the listing. It's also Nintendo's problem because they shipped a product with those vulnerabilities. Modding a console is not violating Nintendo's IP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
How on earth do you think that specifically advertising your switch can be modified (to potentially play pirated games) is a perfectly ok thing to do?

Come on dude. Use your brain. Completely reasonable take down. Just put it up and don't advertise that you can hack it.

I haven't modded my Switch nor have I pirated games. I just know that people are interested in modding their Switch. Like stated for Homebrew, Streaming.

I think it's one thing to prevent IP violations, but limiting selling old versions just because they are more vulnerable ist too much.

By the way I sold the Switch prior the auction was canceled so no harm done.

Since questioned, I got back what I originally paid for it (minus provision). So in fact I knew it's beneficial to point it out. But you also point out that your car has special features despite it just being a car from the corner when you've bought it.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Not everyone that hacks, pirates. I've got over 100 games on my Vita with a 256GB card, and they're all either directly downloaded from my download list on PSN, or backups of carts that I own. Same with 3DS.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Modding a console is not violating Nintendo's IP.

Who said it was? That has nothing to do with my point as I never agreed with the reason given by Ebay. My Switch is modded but I know not to be stupid and sell it on Ebay either saying it's modded or that it can be. Again, all other companies would do the same it's not just Nintendo.

limiting selling old versions just because they are more vulnerable ist too much.

They are not. Don't put that it is moddable in the listing and it would have stayed up. You wanted the extra money for it being an earlier version and you were not clever about it. That's on you.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone that hacks, pirates. I've got over 100 games on my Vita with a 256GB card, and they're all either directly downloaded from my download list on PSN, or backups of carts that I own. Same with 3DS.
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to mod or hack hardware. Installing fan translation patches, for example.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I sold a hacked PSP years ago on ebay and just put an image of the cfw about 3 images deep. Everything went through fine.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Ignoring staff post, implying others are pirates

Not everyone, but most do.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, that's not right OP. As somebody who has never modded a console and most likely never will, I believe you should be able to scream from the mountain tops and write in all caps in the title that the model is able to be modded. I understand why Nintendo doesn't want it out there, but they shouldn't be able to restrict your ability to sell a product you own.

On principle you should relist it and put it can be modded and if Nintendo has it pulled make a fuss to eBay. Probably not worth the hassle, but I believe you have the right.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
if you go to ebay and search "Hackable nintendo switch", there is a page worth of them still up right now.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Thank fuck eBay didn't give a shit when I bought my Vita years ago. Got CFW on that shit and went to town. I guess you gotta be more sly about it now, OP? Searching things like 'unpatched Switch' and 'first-gen Switch' has led me to a dozen or so active results. Using the word 'modded' probably tipped 'em off, idk.

'Launch Switch' would suffice too. Hell, if you were to provide a screenshot of the Switch's serial number prefix and the first six digits then people looking to buy a hackable system would know what you're on about. Loads of ways to get around eBay and Nintendo's watchful eyes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Sure, but the whole purpose of pressuring Ebay to take down listings is to attempt to prevent people from reselling the console. They aren't going to actually succeed at preventing aftermarket sales of their consoles because that would be illegal.

That's my point. They step in the resale market which is not their business. I get that they want to prevent piracy, but I just bought another system and have spent more the 2000$ on games. Why should t I be able to sell what I have into the best way (like they do with their remakes).

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How on earth do you think that specifically advertising your switch can be modified (to potentially play pirated games) is a perfectly ok thing to do?

Come on dude. Use your brain. Completely reasonable take down. Just put it up and don't advertise that you can hack it.
I used to do this for PSP listings when the handheld was still in production, relevant, and CFW was a touchy subject on forums. Sony never did a damned thing. Could they have? Maybe. Nintendo's overreaching here IMO.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
OP
OP

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
My Switch is modded but I know not to be stupid and sell it on eBay.

Don't put that it is moddable in the listing and it would have stayed up. You wanted the extra money for it being an earlier version and you were not clever about it. That's on you.

I got the extra money since the listing was canceled after the transaction.

My Switch was never modded, and wasn't sold modded.

Deleted member 47559

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

That's a conspiracy theory, there's no evidence. Plenty of old switches on ebay and I imagine the only difference between them and OPs is that they aren't advertised as moddable.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I understand it's ebay policy, but it's very strange the lengths it goes to justify banning *potential* use.

Console COULD be modded which COULD be used for copyright infringement.
Console COULD be used to smash someone's face in.

One of those is 2 steps, and the other is one step. That and the fact that modding isn't illegal, so if you eliminated the copyright infringement part it's still not doing anything illegal, wrong, or harmful.

Equal shame to Nintendo and ebay here, IMO.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
I used to do this for PSP listings when the handheld was still in production, relevant, and CFW was a touchy subject on forums. Sony never did a damned thing. Could they have? Maybe. Nintendo's overreaching here IMO.
Then you slipped through the cracks or PSP was a lost cause/not a priority at that point, or you just worded it in a way that avoided flags. I've had firsthand experience of PS3 listings being removed and 360 listings.

The issue is your description of the item and not the item itself. It's as simple as that.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I never said your Switch was modded.

You wanted more money than it's normal value because you knew it could be modded and you knew there was value in that. You were not smart in how you advertised the Switch and you also got unlucky that they noticed yours and not the others that are on sale.

Equal shame to Nintendo and ebay here, IMO.

This has been a thing for years. Mention modding/hacking etc in your listing and you run the risk of having that listing taken down.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I got surprised today receiving an email from eBay that my offer was deleted since it violates Nintendo's IP.

I was selling my unmodified old Switch since I've upgraded to the new version. However, I pointed out that the Switch is an old model which can be modified.

What in this is violating anything?

eBay was approached via this email: [email protected]

I guess that's the same bunch of folks that also pulled down YouTube videos from e.g. ModernVintageGamer

How much free time do you have? A small claims case for tortious interference against NoA (I'm assuming you're in the US) could potentially net you more than the value of your Switch. If it were me, I'd start with a C&D to that email address, but then again I don't take corporate bullying lightly.

That would be strange considering all the bootlegs eBay knowingly allows now. Wish they would clean up those.

Ain't that the truth. Selling a piece of hardware that is in stock condition is perfectly legal. Pointing out that it can run homebrew is also perfectly legal (and not against eBay policy).

But eBay sure has no problem with the proliferation of counterfeit and pirated games on its site, which ARE clearly illegal and against eBay policy.

If you mentioned that it can be hacked, that's promoting hacking. Next time just state the fw version or model number.

The fact that you stated it was an older version that could be modified meant that you were trying to get more interest/money out of what you were selling which related to hacking and/or piracy.

People who are saying it is stupid that it was taken down need to think a little more...

Modding a Switch is not illegal. Hacking does not equal piracy.

This is an overreach by Nintendo in every way. They likely just haven't been challenged on it.

Yo.

Newslflash.

You know EULAs? The things with the funny names that nobody ever reads but everyone always accepts? End User License Agreements?

EULAs aren't legally binding but they can still nope you out of their stuff if you break it. Hence you're not getting a lawyer knocking on your door.

You mean eBay policy that eBay dictates?
->

edit: sarcasm apparently

If you accept that EULA at face value (as it is a contract of adhesion), it only applies to the Nintendo software. It doesn't apply to Android. You do realize that you can hack a Switch without touching the default OS, right?

Do I violate the Windows license when I plop a second hard drive into my computer and install Linux? Of course not. So why would you bring that up here?

I don't quite get the confusion here.

Offering modified stuff is forbidden so why should the mentioning that you can modify it be okay?

It's not modified. It's not illegal. It's not against eBay policy.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Then you slipped through the cracks or PSP was a lost cause at that point, or you just worded it in a way that avoided flags. I've had firsthand experience of PS3 listings being removed and 360 listings.
Indeed I must have then.

It's a bit absurd for console makers to do this though, especially if the hardware remains unmodified and the seller only indicates that modification is possible.

Last edited:

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Also is it 'illegal' to have modified products on eBay? I've been looking at getting a Vita lately, and the amount of listings that note it has homebrew installed are quite numerous.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Modding a Switch is not illegal. Hacking does not equal piracy.

Who said it was illegal? If you had read the thread you would see my Switch is hacked...don't try to ban bait.

It's also not illegal for Ebay to pull the listing down.

Also good luck taking it to court. The company that email is from specializes in IP and brand protection. They would have you tied in knots.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
If you accept that EULA at face value (as it is a contract of adhesion), it only applies to the Nintendo software. It doesn't apply to Android. You do realize that you can hack a Switch without touching the default OS, right?

Do I violate the Windows license when I plop a second hard drive into my computer and install Linux? Of course not. So why would you bring that up here?
->
You may not publish, copy, modify, reverse engineer, lease, rent, decompile, disassemble, distribute, offer for sale, or create derivative works of any portion of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, tamper with, or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Console, unless otherwise permitted by law.
I bring it up because the user asked.

Also is it 'illegal' to have modified products on eBay? I've been looking at getting a Vita lately, and the amount of listings that note it has homebrew installed are quite numerous.
Nothing about this is illegal, this is about being against someone's (eBay) TOS.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a conspiracy theory, there's no evidence. Plenty of old switches on ebay and I imagine the only difference between them and OPs is that they aren't advertised as moddable.
Advertising as moddable shouldn't matter, as they have no more standing to request takedowns of listings that say the system is moddable than they do listings that don't say it. It's not a 'conspiracy theory'.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Who said it was illegal? If you had read the thread you would see my Switch is hacked...don't try to ban bait.

It's also not illegal for Ebay to pull the listing down.

Also good luck taking it to court. The company that email is from specializes in IP and brand protection. They would have you tied in knots.

It's not illegal for eBay to pull a listing down. It is a potential cause of action for Nintendo in intentionally interfere with a third party economic relationship, especially when done under false pretenses (claim of copyright infringement).

These "IP protection" corporations are not anything special. They rely on the fact that most people aren't going to challenge them. Push comes to shove and most will back down because they don't want the expense of trying to defend a spurious claim.

If you take OP's claim at face value, this is the eBay equivalent of the scattershot "claim everything under DMCA" approach that some take to YouTube. You push back and they usually fold. And if you're filing in Small Claims, they can't send a lawyer.

->

I bring it up because the user asked.

Nothing about this is illegal, this is about being against someone's (eBay) TOS.

Selling a stock system is not against eBay TOS.
Indicating that it can be modded is not against eBay TOS.

Selling certain modchips IS against eBay TOS.
Selling modification instructions IS against eBay TOS.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Selling a stock system is not against eBay TOS.
Indicating that it can be modded is not against eBay TOS.
This was already linked earlier in the thread but it's pertinent to the discussion from eBay's perspective. Whether it's technically considered 'illegal' would fall under the country I assume.
To protect all our members – as well as copyright and trademark owners – we don't allow sellers to use eBay to encourage or enable illegal activities, such as the copying or modifying of products, in a way that would infringe copyrights, trademarks, or other rights.

Even if a seller is completing an entirely legal transaction, they can't then encourage the use of their product in a way that would be illegal. For example, by selling a Rolex watch box as a means of enabling the sale of fake Rolex watches. Please see our full policy guidelines below for more details of our restrictions on these types of behavior.