• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last year's E3 Direct was disappointing. I get why they did it. One, they were putting all their weight behind Smash to make it as big of a success it could possibly be, and two, they probably wanted to avoid showing stuff that they would end up showing again at E3 2019. That doesn't change what transpired last year though. Nintendo only showed one game.

So this year, Nintendo has to make up for that; they can't have a second consecutive disappointing E3. They have to show a ton of games. Metroid Prime 4 is a must. There has to be a Switch Mario game in there, either a new one, such as Odyssey 2, or a remaster of an older one, such as Galaxy 1+2. They need to show what Retro is working on, too. Retro has been radio silent for five years now. That's crazy. It's time. It's probably too soon for a new Zelda, but fuck me, I would love a teaser to a sequel to Breath of the Wild. Nintendo needs to Galaxy 2 that shit and give us a refinement of the previous game. There's no way they are not showing the new Pokémon and Animal Crossing games, so there's that at least.

I'm sure there's stuff I forget. But yeah, they need to pack their Direct.

What do you want to see in it?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Be prepared for a 25 minute deep dive into fruit stacking and pattern making in Animal Crossing

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo's main goal is to meet their main customers needs with great products and achieve great sales numbers.

They have been doing that with the Switch.

Releasing hype announcements for forum enthusiasts is not crucial in the grand scheme of things.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Need is an intense word. Nintendo could probably frame the entire thing around Pokemon 2019 and be totally fine. Single-game presentations have done fine for them, and translated into solid sales for hardware and software. They've proven they can showcase stuff outside E3, and it doesn't make a difference.

But I would love to see them prepare a more diverse blowout for 2019. There's a lot of really exciting stuff on the horizon (Prime 4, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, etc) that would benefit from a big show.

Jan 29, 2018
Why?

They seem to be doing just fine. It's just that the E3 direct doesn't have to be much more important than any other direct.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last year's Direct was great. Have mad respect for the people that put together that 'Everyone is here' trailer for Smash- it was fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
We're going for apology directs now?

Sony freaking skipped over PSX and E3 themselves and I haven't seen someone say the PS5 reveal better be so good to make up for that.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo put most of its focus on one game again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this strategy. Last year's focus on Smash was great.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
It will be a similar approach where in they tease/reveal/trailer for a few games and dedicate more in-depth views into one or two main games (Animal Crossing and Pokemon 2019) - and it's all they need to do.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't need to do anything.

Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Yoshi, and Luigi's Mansion are all out this year. Metroid and Bayonetta both might be out this year too. Mario, Zelda, Smash, Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Mario Party have all released on Switch already. What more would you like them to announce?

Additionally, last year's E3 was fine. Nintendo doesn't need to "win" E3, when they can announce stuff sporadically throughout the year as soon as they're ready. They can have as light or as heavy an E3 as they want. After all, no one is complaining about Sony's E3 2019, which is literally nothing.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that was definitely a losing strategy for them based off of how the Switch is performing.............

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
If you set high expectations or fall into false hype set by others that are not Nintendo themselves, you only have yourself to blame.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I thought their E3 was just fine. Not the best, and far from their worst. It still baffles me that Yoshi was kept out of it even though it's coming this Spring, but other than that, it was a solid showing.

I expect this year to be a pretty big one though. Too many big games are on the horizon for it not to be a banger.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has like three E3-level Directs each year. It does not need to pack its E3 one specifically.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't learned yet, Nintendo do not hold onto big reveals for 1 or 2 events in a year, they spread it throught the year so this is not going to happen. Otherwise we would have got Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3 at E3 instead of 2 months later.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Last year's E3 was fine. Fire Emblem was all I hoped for, and I got it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are joking (I hope), but... lol
A little bit (we don't need to learn about fruit stacking since it was in New Leaf already!), but I think Animal Crossing will almost certainly be their big showcase game this year (as were Smash, Odyssey, and BotW in the last 3 years), so it will probably get a substantial info dump

DtG

May 17, 2018
Well now that Smash is out we don't have to worry about future Directs spending 30 minutes covering one shitty game :-D

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
A little bit (we don't need to learn about fruit stacking since it was in New Leaf already!), but I think Animal Crossing will almost certainly be their big showcase game this year (as were Smash, Odyssey, and BotW in the last 3 years), so it will probably get a substantial info dump

Oh no, I'm totally with you.

The year of the underappreciated - Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin... I can see it now.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didnt Nintendo sold the most consoles in the recent holiday and have a rather good E3 direct? I think they know what they are doing

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
They have multiple great Directs throughout the year. E3's direct doesn't "need" to be anything.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
It's going to be basically the same format as we've gotten the last couple of years: focus on their big Fall release taking up 40% of the Direct, updates on known games, a few announcements, and things get fleshed out at Treehouse.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
They just need to keep doing whatever they have been doing. Maybe ease up on the new releases a bit, because it's becoming ridiculous really. Actually, they should do a Direct on how to keep up with everything coming out on Switch.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think they NEED to do anything, honestly. Yeah, I didn't enjoy having 25 minutos for Smash going in small details, but I'm sure a lot of Smash fans were happy with that.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
No, they don't.

Nintendo already set us expectations for 2019 by announcing earlier big games like Luigi's Mansion 3 or Animal Crossing, we're not exactly going in blind as it happened in 2018.

We know there are a bunch of games like Daemon X Machina, Yoshi's Crafted World, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Fire Emblem that could/should be out in the first months of this year, based on how far in development they look, so i'm expecting the next Direct to show us more of these games on top of other side announcements.

We saw a bunch of games just announced with a teaser showing nothing literally, so right now i'm almost more interested to know more about the already announced titles.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo makes use of the entire year to announce/reveal things. E3 isn't the major spectacle people like to think. Nintendo's approach to E3 in recent years has been fine.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aside from Metroid Prime 4 and Retro's new game, those demands sound fairly safe if not boring. I hope Nintendo has more interesting games to show this year.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think we need an apology or any such nonsense, but I'd like to see a much more varied direct next time. There's too many Switch games that I know basically nothing about because they get, at best, a 30 second quickie callout during a rapidfire single direct.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo spreads their announcements out a lot more now. I mean Smash was announced March. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing were announced in September. So imagine if all that and Town was kept for E3 pre Directs.

But I do think for this year we'll get a lot of variety for Nintendo's E3.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna learn the name of every villager in Animal Crossing.

Seriously. I never played Smash and Nintendo already made me hate it.